Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arizona 35 Cincinnati 27
Despite Carson Palmer completing 37 passes for the Bengals, it was the 4 he completed to the Cardinals that hurt. Antrell Rolle picked off three balls and ran two back for touchdowns. Cincy falls to 3-7 for the year, and the Cards improve to 5-5..
I'm glad that Arizona pulled out the win. I hate Cincy! Although Carson did play good.
bluegrassballa Wrote:I'm glad that Arizona pulled out the win. I hate Cincy! Although Carson did play good.

4 interceptions is good?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:4 interceptions is good?
When Carson throws them, yes.Big Grin
Those Bengals just find ways to lose.
I picked this one!
Thats my Cards!! GO ZONA!
Figured the bolcked punt would have been the turnaround the Bengals needed to get a W, but the offense just couldn't get the job done while Palmer threw 4 picks and 3 to Rolle. Congrats to Arizona on the W and hopefully Cincy can regroup next week. They might be 3-7 but I am still loyal through the ups and downs, say what you want thats how I am!
-STATS- Wrote:Figured the bolcked punt would have been the turnaround the Bengals needed to get a W, but the offense just couldn't get the job done while Palmer threw 4 picks and 3 to Rolle. Congrats to Arizona on the W and hopefully Cincy can regroup next week. They might be 3-7 but I am still loyal through the ups and downs, say what you want thats how I am!

I'm still loyal, too.

It's disappointing, though, because Chuck was actually calling a fairly decent defensive game (for the most part), and Carson choked. Started early when he missed Chad on that slant/short post in the first quarter.

We needed that win, and we choked.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Yepp I agree, seemed like it was a total role reversal today.

BFritz Wrote:I'm still loyal, too.

It's disappointing, though, because Chuck was actually calling a fairly decent defensive game (for the most part), and Carson choked. Started early when he missed Chad on that slant/short post in the first quarter.

We needed that win, and we choked.
When a star like Palmer makes a mistake, its magnified. Chads fumble inside the 10 and Henrys drops didn't help either. I've been on the defense all year and with good reason. But I have to say they played well enough to win yesterday. Kudos to them.
BFritz Wrote:It's disappointing, though, because Chuck was actually calling a fairly decent defensive game (for the most part), and Carson choked. Started early when he missed Chad on that slant/short post in the first quarter.

Bengal Cat Wrote:When a star like Palmer makes a mistake, its magnified. Chads fumble inside the 10 and Henrys drops didn't help either. I've been on the defense all year and with good reason. But I have to say they played well enough to win yesterday. Kudos to them.

I agree, the defense played a very good game, their second week in a row. They held Arizona to 247 yards offense, and only gave up three touchdowns, one of which was set up by a Cincy turnover at the 24-yard-line. The defense was amazing the second half, and gave the offense every chance to win. Encouraging to see, even if it was just the Cardinals.

The offense, though, continues to sputter. They rack up a ton of yards between the 20's, but when it comes to finishing drives off in the end zone, they simply choke. The tally for the Bengal offense yesterday: 2 TD's, 2 FG's, 20 points total. That will simply not get it done, unless you have a top-notch defense and rely on them to win games.

Yet another game where the Bengals were the better team, yet lost. They are maybe the biggest underachievers in several years. I still root for them, and that will never change, but I don't know how much longer I can sit and watch this crap on TV every week.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bengal Cat Wrote:When a star like Palmer makes a mistake, its magnified. Chads fumble inside the 10 and Henrys drops didn't help either. I've been on the defense all year and with good reason. But I have to say they played well enough to win yesterday. Kudos to them.
(2) drops
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree, the defense played a very good game, their second week in a row. They held Arizona to 247 yards offense, and only gave up three touchdowns, one of which was set up by a Cincy turnover at the 24-yard-line. The defense was amazing the second half, and gave the offense every chance to win. Encouraging to see, even if it was just the Cardinals.

The offense, though, continues to sputter. They rack up a ton of yards between the 20's, but when it comes to finishing drives off in the end zone, they simply choke. The tally for the Bengal offense yesterday: 2 TD's, 2 FG's, 20 points total. That will simply not get it done, unless you have a top-notch defense and rely on them to win games.

Yet another game where the Bengals were the better team, yet lost. They are maybe the biggest underachievers in several years. I still root for them, and that will never change, but I don't know how much longer I can sit and watch this crap on TV every week.

I think the main reason for the problems in the red zone can be linked with the lack of a running game. Teams aren't having to worry about the run as much and the compressed field makes it harder to get anyone open. Also without a serious running game, play action isn't as effective either. When we were having a lot of success in the red zone, alot of TD passes came off of play action.
Bengal Cat Wrote:I think the main reason for the problems in the red zone can be linked with the lack of a running game. Teams aren't having to worry about the run as much and the compressed field makes it harder to get anyone open. Also without a serious running game, play action isn't as effective either. When we were having a lot of success in the red zone, alot of TD passes came off of play action.

The only way the Bengals could justify drafting a running back early is if McFadden's available, which he won't be. They need to take defensive players in the first three rounds (at least), and maybe even trade their first round pick for two lower picks so they could take defenders.

I believe you trade Rudi for some solid defenders, start Watson because he's a back who stretches the field, which fits right in to our offensive scheme. Spend a lower pick on a power back who won't need to be the feature back but who can just pound it for solid gains for the red zone and short yardage.

Our offense has enough talent to win a lot of games if our defense would just stop people, and having a pound it back would help, too.
BFritz Wrote:The only way the Bengals could justify drafting a running back early is if McFadden's available, which he won't be. They need to take defensive players in the first three rounds (at least), and maybe even trade their first round pick for two lower picks so they could take defenders.

I believe you trade Rudi for some solid defenders, start Watson because he's a back who stretches the field, which fits right in to our offensive scheme. Spend a lower pick on a power back who won't need to be the feature back but who can just pound it for solid gains for the red zone and short yardage.

Our offense has enough talent to win a lot of games if our defense would just stop people, and having a pound it back would help, too.

I agree with you that the Bengals definitely do not need to draft another running back, at least not until the second day. The high picks need to go toward the defense.

However, i'm still not convinced Kenny Watson is the answer as an every-down back. He looked great against the Jets, and I know his per-carry average is better than Rudi's this year, but I would have to see more to believe he can do it for a whole season.

On the contrary, I'm actually excited to see Kenny Irons next year (after I roasted the Bengals for drafting him back in April). I think he could be the #1 back next year, and I wouldn't be opposed to trading Rudi. However, with the way he's looked this year, I don't think we would get much for him.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree with you that the Bengals definitely do not need to draft another running back, at least not until the second day. The high picks need to go toward the defense.

However, i'm still not convinced Kenny Watson is the answer as an every-down back. He looked great against the Jets, and I know his per-carry average is better than Rudi's this year, but I would have to see more to believe he can do it for a whole season.

On the contrary, I'm actually excited to see Kenny Irons next year (after I roasted the Bengals for drafting him back in April). I think he could be the #1 back next year, and I wouldn't be opposed to trading Rudi. However, with the way he's looked this year, I don't think we would get much for him.

With our spread offense in three-wide and gun a lot, I think Watson is a PERFECT fit for us, and I think he's very good, but I don't think he can just lower his head and pound for a tough few yards, which is why I agree on taking a power back for short yardage in a higher round.
BFritz Wrote:With our spread offense in three-wide and gun a lot, I think Watson is a PERFECT fit for us, and I think he's very good, but I don't think he can just lower his head and pound for a tough few yards, which is why I agree on taking a power back for short yardage in a higher round.

I don't know how good of a pass-catcher Kenny Irons is, but I know he should be able to give the Bengals a home run threat, something no other RB on the roster can provide. I've watched enough of Watson to know that he is good at finding the holes and catching passes out of the backfield, but he doesn't have breakaway speed. I would be happy with he and Irons in a dual-RB system.

I must disagree with you about taking a RB in a high round, though. There are too many other needs on this team to take one any earlier than the 4th round.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't know how good of a pass-catcher Kenny Irons is, but I know he should be able to give the Bengals a home run threat, something no other RB on the roster can provide. I've watched enough of Watson to know that he is good at finding the holes and catching passes out of the backfield, but he doesn't have breakaway speed. I would be happy with he and Irons in a dual-RB system.

I must disagree with you about taking a RB in a high round, though. There are too many other needs on this team to take one any earlier than the 4th round.

By high round, I meant high in number, like after the first rounds, and I think even the fourth might be too early.

We don't need a skilled every down back that would be taken early, I meant we need a power back for short yardage who would be available in the later (higher) rounds.

You weren't disagreeing, I just was unclear about what I meant.
BFritz Wrote:By high round, I meant high in number, like after the first rounds, and I think even the fourth might be too early.

We don't need a skilled every down back that would be taken early, I meant we need a power back for short yardage who would be available in the later (higher) rounds.

You weren't disagreeing, I just was unclear.

OK, that's cool! :thumpsup:

You're right, even the fourth round may be too high to take a RB next year. If they don't trade anyone there will be 4 RB's already on the roster (Rudi, Perry, Irons, Watson). As it stands, they will have to either trade or release one of those guys, two if they draft a RB.

IMO, the best situation would be if Rudi could become the short-yardage back. I think his best years are behind him and he no longer can be considered a feature back, but his strength always was running up the middle and bulling over would-be tacklers. This would also allow us to use that draft pick at another position of need.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]