Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Super Region - 15th Region next season
Saw something on Twitter that KHSAA has voted on a super region and the 15th region being the first to experiment next year. The sports will be basketball and soccer due to losing another team in Jenkins. 

Anyone have any info on how this will play out. Will districts still be a thing?  How will they seed?
From Nate Bryan on Twitter. All teams will be in the regional tournament. It hasn't been determined if it will be done with seeding based on RPI, record/RPI combo, or a draw. My guess is RPI or region record with RPI as tiebreaker.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Explorer's post:
  • Grinch1
All teams will be in the region tournament? Why?
Needs to happen in every region not just one.
It makes sense to me for this format in regions that have traditionally strong districts that make up the regions best teams. Someone smarter than me will know but guessing districts in the 7th or 11th would fit. I have no idea why the 15th would do it unless geography all of a sudden is a priority (Lawrence driving past Martin, Paintsville, Johnson Central to play in the district they are in). Could be the pilot region for the format?
If it's all at one venue, then district games are taken from the smaller schools and it's even more funding for the regional sites. Tradeoff between venues that can seat more safely versus more time on the road during school nights, especially for schools far from the host site.

If all regions went to it, the number of the games the current sites would be expected to host would likely vary by region, as I can't see places like the 1st, 4th, 9th, 11th, or 16th getting that much time at their current venues. I'd imagine that most of the group of the remaining permanent sites would push hard to host all games.

If implemented, most regions probably end up with a hybrid like the 6th, 7th, and 11th currently use, possibly based on RPI. In reality, that will probably end up keeping a tiny school with a gym that seats 500 from hosting a first round district game that's essentially a regional semifinal, but could also encourage teams to run up the score for sake of their metrics.
(02-28-2023, 11:45 AM)Explorer Wrote: From Nate Bryan on Twitter. All teams will be in the regional tournament. It hasn't been determined if it will be done with seeding based on RPI, record/RPI combo, or a draw. My guess is RPI or region record with RPI as tiebreaker.
So, there won’t be district tournaments in the 15th next year??? That has been a traditional setup for decades! I personally like the district tournament and the seeded games during the season that feel like a tournament atmosphere themselves.
District is still happening