Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
23/24 16th Region
Since there are threads about the 14th and 15th, what do you see for the 16th region next season?
This isn’t a 16th region kinda site lol. Ashland reigns as number #1 pre season with many clipping at the heals. I will say this I don’t believe Ashland can quadruple, triple, infinite peat in 24. New king hard to say who that will be
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wildcat_blue's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
I think it will be business as usual in the 16th Region. Ashland and Boyd Co. at the top of the region but I'm not ruling out a couple others. I think the recruiting in the region could close the gap for a couple other teams.
Russell is apparently going to be pretty good.
I think that totally depends on if they are able to land the kids they are trying to bring in. Russell quit playing Raceland in football and Ashland in basketball because of the kids those schools were bringing. Now it is "OK"?
[-] The following 1 user Likes The_Messenger's post:
  • Ky1976
(03-24-2023, 10:39 AM)The_Messenger Wrote: I think that totally depends on if they are able to land the kids they are trying to bring in. Russell quit playing Raceland in football and Ashland in basketball because of the kids those schools were bringing. Now it is "OK"?

This ^
(03-24-2023, 10:42 AM)Explorer Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 10:39 AM)The_Messenger Wrote: I think that totally depends on if they are able to land the kids they are trying to bring in. Russell quit playing Raceland in football and Ashland in basketball because of the kids those schools were bringing. Now it is "OK"?

This ^
If Russell continues forward with recruiting, (after it is already this public) the KHSAA don’t have enough people to answer the phone calls that will be made!  Lol.  You know Lewis already has the number dialed… just gotta hit the green button.  
It would be completely reckless and hypocritical on their part.  Bad look for the Red Devils.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Appalachian Cat's post:
  • Ky1976
Looks like Steve Wright has a former 15th region kid coming back from West Virginia.
With Mays gone, Wright takes over as the 16th’s best recruiter.
Boyd should be the hands down favorite next season. A lot of teams return most of their firepower, though.

Morgan, Fleming, and East pretty much return everyone from what were pretty good teams. Rowan, Fairview, Raceland, and Greenup pretty much return everyone from what were decent teams.

The teams hit hardest by graduation were Ashland, Russell, Lewis, and Bath.

Ashland will be OK next season, but it will be their worst team in a long time. Time will tell if Jennings is the 7 of 23 3-point shooter he was the rest of the season or the 10 of 13 3-point shooter he was in 3 games at the end of the season.

Russell, of course, is rumored to be stocking up for the future. Even if they do bring in great young players, they will still be no match for Boyd at this point.

Lewis has Noble, who may be the best post player in the region, and the magic of March that they seem to produce on a yearly basis. You just can never count them out.

Bath has apparently landed one new player. They'll need plenty more if they are to be a contender after the loss of the player of the year.

There will be plenty of competitive games among about 10 or 12 teams in the region next year. Boyd is at the top, though...and it's not really close.
(03-26-2023, 12:02 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Boyd should be the hands down favorite next season.  A lot of teams return most of their firepower, though.

Morgan, Fleming, and East pretty much return everyone from what were pretty good teams.  Rowan, Fairview, Raceland, and Greenup pretty much return everyone from what were decent teams. 

The teams hit hardest by graduation were Ashland, Russell, Lewis, and Bath. 

Ashland will be OK next season, but it will be their worst team in a long time.  Time will tell if Jennings is the 7 of 23 3-point shooter he was the rest of the season or the 10 of 13 3-point shooter he was in 3 games at the end of the season.

Russell, of course, is rumored to be stocking up for the future.  Even if they do bring in great young players, they will still be no match for Boyd at this point. 

Lewis has Noble, who may be the best post player in the region, and the magic of March that they seem to produce on a yearly basis.  You just can never count them out.

Bath has apparently landed one new player.  They'll need plenty more if they are to be a contender after the loss of the player of the year.

There will be plenty of competitive games among about 10 or 12 teams in the region next year.  Boyd is at the top, though...and it's not really close.

Pretty accurate to me. 
1. Boyd and Russell 

Morgan and Fleming could bust that party up tho. Morgan returns top 7 scorers and Fleming doesn't have a senior listed on KHSAA roster.
Ashland is still the region 5x champion. Still the team to beat IMO. 3 starters to return with one of the top Region player going into his Junior year. The development of the supporting cast is going to be huge for Bonner.

BC closed that gap this year and looked like they were ready to over the region going into the regional tournament 2-1 vs Ashland and winning the District championship. Injuries played a significant part of their tournament performance. They return all 5 starters.

Morgan/EC/Russell/Fleming all return the majority of their kids who started this year. Will compete and could beat ashland or BC on any given night. Rowan will be ok as well.

I guess Bath is going to dive into the recruitment process. Landed one already just weeks after the end of season.
The 61st district is going to be a dog fight. Fleming returns everyone and this is the season they’ve been building for. Rowan returns a lot and never count out Shawn Thacker. Bath will have some new transfers. Menifee returns the the 2nd leading scorer in the region last season and 4 starters.
(03-28-2023, 07:06 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Ashland is still the region 5x champion. Still the team to beat IMO.  3 starters to return with one of the top Region player going into his Junior year.  The development of the supporting cast is going to be huge for Bonner.

BC closed that gap this year and looked like they were ready to over the region going into the regional tournament 2-1 vs Ashland and winning the District championship. Injuries played a significant part of their tournament performance.  They return all 5 starters.

Morgan/EC/Russell/Fleming all return the majority of their kids who started this year. Will compete and could beat ashland or BC on any given night. Rowan will be ok as well.

I guess Bath is going to dive into the recruitment process. Landed one already just weeks after the end of season.

As always, your posts leave me with questions. Smile

Has Bonner been named head coach at Ashland?  I haven't seen any news about that.  Maybe I missed it.

As for Ashland, as maligned as the guy was, they will miss Deboard a lot.  He gave them the fastest point guard in the area who was also a significant offensive threat for the fourth year in a row.  He did the best job of replacing Porter as anyone in the region could have.  Now who will replace Deboard?

As for Russell returning the majority of their starters, I only see 2 returners in Rimmer and Neel.  Cooksey will have a choice to surround them with seniors like Fleming and Quinn or turn to the youth movement with Burgess on his way up through the system and whatever other young players might enroll.

As for Boyd's injuries playing a part in their tournament performance, they seemed healthy in the first game where they were on the verge of being sent home if East Carter would have made a free throw.  With the talent they had, their tournament performance was poor and unexpected throughout.  Even still, I think they remain the favorite by a wide margin next season.
The coaching job was posted. It’s his unless he doesn’t want it. You always have questions about my posts. I have been spot on accurate the entire time.

BC best player played all tree games with a foot injury. It was reported by various sources and media outlets. I do agree they are the favorite going into the season.

Morgan then Fleming are 3/4. EC as well to round out my top 5. Russell and Rowan in the top 5 talk for sure!

(03-28-2023, 08:34 AM)16thregioner Wrote:
(03-28-2023, 07:06 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Ashland is still the region 5x champion. Still the team to beat IMO.  3 starters to return with one of the top Region player going into his Junior year.  The development of the supporting cast is going to be huge for Bonner.

BC closed that gap this year and looked like they were ready to over the region going into the regional tournament 2-1 vs Ashland and winning the District championship. Injuries played a significant part of their tournament performance.  They return all 5 starters.

As always, your posts leave me with questions. :)

Has Bonner been named head coach at Ashland?  I haven't seen any news about that.  Maybe I missed it.

As for Ashland, as maligned as the guy was, they will miss Deboard a lot.  He gave them the fastest point guard in the area who was also a significant offensive threat for the fourth year in a row.  He did the best job of replacing Porter as anyone in the region could have.  Now who will replace Deboard?

As for Russell returning the majority of their starters, I only see 2 returners in Rimmer and Neel.  Cooksey will have a choice to surround them with seniors like Fleming and Quinn or turn to the youth movement with Burgess on his way up through the system and whatever other young players might enroll.

As for Boyd's injuries playing a part in their tournament performance, they seemed healthy in the first game where they were on the verge of being sent home if East Carter would have made a free throw.  With the talent they had, their tournament performance was poor and unexpected throughout.  Even still, I think they remain the favorite by a wide margin next season.
Davis or Jennings will be the replacement for Deboard. Davis got significant minutes as an 8th grader and was promised by the previous head coach he was being groomed to fill Porters spot when he left. Well we all know that was lie based off the audio. He had already talked to Deboard’s parents in March or April when he was at the beach. I don’t think Bonner will do that to his kids IMO.
Bonner would and will be a great choice for the job. Ashland has fired the last 4 or 5 bb coaches I think. School board, superintendent, building principal don’t seem to have the coaches back. IMO might be a hard job to get a qualified coach if Bonner don’t take it. Obviously looks like the girls coach did well with no coaching resume maybe they would go that way.
Bonner did a great job of coaching the team he was left. In turn I believe he earned the right to lead this storied program moving forward. The question remains can he develop players in the off-season so that he can maintain the level of success Ashland is use too. Because of the microscope Booner will be under the next few years, he will not be able to recruit players in like the coach before him did.

Boyd Co is talented and should be primed for a run to Rupp. We will see if they are able to accomplish that goal.

I like Fleming Co. and East Carter to take the next step with the talent they have returning. They could be a challenger in the Region.

Russell graduated a couple really good players (Charles & Carter) but they are bringing in a couple new kids. Neel was brought in this year from a very talent middle school AAU team and bumped some talented Russell juniors down the ladder. We will see how the addition of more players from outside the program will blend with the people at Russell.

Once again I expect the 16th Region to be fun and exciting in '23-'24.
Hearing a 62nd school is getting some players come in next week.
(03-28-2023, 04:00 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: Hearing a 62nd school is getting some players come in next week.

Too bad you didn't hear the name of the school.
(03-28-2023, 07:04 PM)Doc Fanning Wrote:
(03-28-2023, 04:00 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: Hearing a 62nd school is getting some players come in next week.

Too bad you didn't hear the name of the school.
I can guess and have a 25% of being right.  I’m guessing Elliot.  We will see.
Bath County with transfer from Capital High School in Charleston, WV who played at Belfry his 10th grade year.

DeMahjae Clark.
Rumor you won’t have to worry about Zander Carter in the 16th next season. He’s going to be a 10th region issue now.
?

Confirmed today!!  Just in case you missed it. It’s a move in the right direction. Still under probation through the 23-24 season.
Elliott is going to own the region for a while, next year you will see major improvement then buckle up, it’s gonna be a long ride

(03-29-2023, 02:50 PM)TribeTime Wrote: Rumor you won’t have to worry about Zander Carter in the 16th next season. He’s going to be a 10th region issue now.
Already did it once so wouldn’t be shocked.
Elliott getting some fresh faces?
(03-29-2023, 02:50 PM)TribeTime Wrote: Rumor you won’t have to worry about Zander Carter in the 16th next season. He’s going to be a 10th region issue now.
Source?

(03-28-2023, 09:29 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: The coaching job was posted. It’s his unless he doesn’t want it. You always have questions about my posts. I have been spot on accurate the entire time.

BC best player played all tree games with a foot injury.  It was reported by various sources and media outlets.  I do agree they are the favorite going into the season.

Morgan then Fleming are 3/4. EC as well to round out my top 5. Russell and Rowan in the top 5 talk for sure!

Davis or Jennings will be the replacement for Deboard. Davis got significant minutes as an 8th grader and was promised by the previous head coach he was being groomed to fill Porters spot when he left. Well we all know that was lie based off the audio. He had already talked to Deboard’s parents in March or April when he was at the beach. I don’t think Bonner will do that to his kids IMO.
Boyd’s best player (Hicks) was healthy.  He is hands down the most complete player on their team.  Couple others on the team are pretty good but still developing.  
But hey… you are spot on accurate the entire time.  Everyone else in the region must be clueless.  
Do you have any other excuses on why your team didn’t get the win?
(03-30-2023, 01:27 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
Source?

(03-28-2023, 09:29 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: The coaching job was posted. It’s his unless he doesn’t want it. You always have questions about my posts. I have been spot on accurate the entire time.

BC best player played all tree games with a foot injury.  It was reported by various sources and media outlets.  I do agree they are the favorite going into the season.

Boyd’s best player (Hicks) was healthy.  He is hands down the most complete player on their team.  Couple others on the team are pretty good but still developing.  
But hey… you are spot on accurate the entire time.  Everyone else in the region must be clueless.  
Do you have any other excuses on why your team didn’t get the win?
You may want to read my posts. You will see who I represent. I do agree. Most are clueless. No doubt. Very biased opinions. Just like your current post. You know if you follow any Tomcat basketball who guards the biggest threat. If you were around the program at all. You would know who Bonner game prep for. You have be consistent your entire time. Just not accurate. Lol

Baller, can you validate this claim?  Is Carter gone to Montgomery to go for a state title with Mays?
(03-30-2023, 09:29 AM)16thregioner Wrote:

Baller, can you validate this claim?  Is Carter gone to Montgomery to go for a state title with Mays?
That is the talk here at ashland. Cannot confirm it definitely yet. Steve talked about Mason Co when the audio of mays recruitment of other players. We all will know definitely in May. Week or so before school is out. That’s how Mays wants you to do it. It’s a strong possibility at this time