Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
OBI boys basketball job opened
who be frontrunner for this job
what be OBI
Oneida Baptist Institute
(04-04-2023, 11:10 AM)hchs fan Wrote: who be frontrunner for this job
 Tyler's hat in the ring ?
Wow what a great job. Might as well hire Larry, Curly, and Moe.
This could be a good job for someone looking for a chance or 2nd chance. Being a boarding school, you can pull kids in.
(04-04-2023, 11:13 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Wow what a great job.  Might as well hire Larry, Curly, and Moe.
That’s actually a great job if the school would utilize their boarding status to attract dynamic playmaking guards and 6’8 students/athletes, along with their other enrollees, who also need a good and safe Christian school. 
I don’t know if it’s true or not but I was once told by a Clay County fan that the late great Coach Bobby Keith said that he would have won several state championships at OBI if he had been there and had cooperation from the administration. 
A boarding school has advantages. And for those that haven’t been to Oneida Baptist’s campus, it is a very nice school and has good facilities. One could theoretically build an Oak Hill Academy type program and do it totally legal within the KHSAA guidelines.
Bobby most been drunk at the time. They haven’t ever had that kind of talent.
(04-05-2023, 10:18 AM)Diablo Wrote: Bobby most been drunk at the time.  They haven’t ever had that kind of talent.
They’ve never had anyone try to get that type of player. The right coach with the right connections could build a powerhouse there. There are athletic Christian kids all over America and the rest of the world, kids that need a school such as OBI. But you need people connections to let you know about them, where they are located, and their situations. OBI is a boarding school and my guess is probably 75% of their students are from outside the county where OBI is located, Clay County.
(04-05-2023, 10:18 AM)Diablo Wrote: Bobby most been drunk at the time.  They haven’t ever had that kind of talent.
Ben Franklin was a great player at OBI in the late 70s. Still holds KHSAA single season rebounding record I believe. 

They’ve had some talent here and there throughout the years, and if there is one thing Bobby could do, it is attract other talent.
Go check out OBI and Oak Hill Academy and tell me what you think it'd take to turn OBI into a dominating force in KHSAA Basketball. Lots of similarities, just need the correct staff connected to the world of high school basketball

Oak Hill
https://www.oak-hill.net

OBI Oneida (Baptist Institute)
https://www.oneidaschool.org
They’ve had some really good teams in years past had division 1 player in the late 70s early 80s if my mind hasn’t left me.
Ok, whatever you all say. Seems like some pretty average Joes to me.
(04-05-2023, 10:32 PM)Diablo Wrote: Ok, whatever you all say.  Seems like some pretty average Joes to me.
And they’ll probably continue to be that way. What I’m referring to is what they COULD be if they so desired. They have the facilities and setup to build a powerful basketball program. It’s just they have never utilized it. They could do what Rhodes did at Cordia but because they are predominantly a boarding school with dorms it would be within KHSAA guidelines.
Maybe they don’t want to deal with all the riff raff that most these prep basketball schools deal with. Maybe just maybe education is their top priority instead of hoop dreams.
(04-06-2023, 11:21 AM)Diablo Wrote: Maybe they don’t want to deal with all the riff raff that most these prep basketball schools deal with.  Maybe just maybe education is their top priority instead of hoop dreams.
Education should be every school’s top priority. But if you think the many parochial schools around Kentucky, particularly in the metropolitan areas, don’t get top athletes whenever possible then you’re living in a dream world. Exhibit one is the defending three time girls state champions Sacred Heart Academy. Their best player was a much talked about phenom through her first 8 grades at Shelby County but guess where the 5 star ended up playing her high school basketball. Same for Mercy Academy. Their best player, also a 5 star, is from Elizabethtown. And my guess both girls are getting an excellent education. And I’m sure CovCath has had their share of talent through the years. Fredericks, now at UK, helped lead them to a state title and he is from Cincinnati. 
So maybe, just maybe, academic priorities and athletic sub-priorities can both be achieved. Why should OBI be any different than those parochial schools.
OBI isn’t in downtown Louisville. It’s in the Stix.
Have you ever been to Oak Hill Academy? Anything is possible
(04-06-2023, 04:10 PM)IDiablo Wrote: OBI isn’t in downtown Louisville.  It’s in the Stix.
Cordia is in the sticks too, and although not a parochial school (it’s considered part of the Knott County School District), under Rhodes they attracted enough outside talent to win an All A Classic state title. Even one of the best guards in this year’s NCAA tournament spent one year there.
They should go after a young up and comer in the Clay system like Tyler Culver for example.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 13th's post:
  • hchs fan
I agree the sky is the limit for OBI just gotta administrative support..
any annoucement or anything anytime soon
(04-08-2023, 07:47 PM)13th Wrote: They should go after a young up and comer in the Clay system like Tyler Culver for example.
Totally agreee. Young man comes from BB royalty and lives in the Oneida community. Great character.