Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley 12 Corbin 5
Watched on Facebook and it was a great game. Whitley held a 5-3 lead going into the bottom of the seventh. Corbin scored 2 runs and had bases loaded with two outs before Whitley got out of the inning. Top of the 8th Whitley blew it open with seven runs including a grand slam to win it 12-5.

I saw a lot of talk on Facebook from Corbin parents complaining the game that was supposed to be Monday got moved to Wednesday since Whitley played in the 2A this past weekend. I actually read it didn't matter who threw because it was going to be a butt kicking either way. Seems like once again, Corbin posters eating crow!
Way to go Colonels!
(04-26-2023, 09:52 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: Watched on Facebook and it was a great game. Whitley held a 5-3 lead going into the bottom of the seventh. Corbin scored 2 runs and had bases loaded with two outs before Whitley got out of the inning. Top of the 8th Whitley blew it open with seven runs including a grand slam to win it 12-5.

I saw a lot of talk on Facebook from Corbin parents complaining the game that was supposed to be Monday got moved to Wednesday since Whitley played in the 2A this past weekend. I actually read it didn't matter who threw because it was going to be a butt kicking either way. Seems like once again, Corbin posters eating crow!

which is funny considering Corbin would expect the same courtesy had they made it. 
they make it easy to root against them
(04-26-2023, 06:08 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:
(04-26-2023, 09:52 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: Watched on Facebook and it was a great game. Whitley held a 5-3 lead going into the bottom of the seventh. Corbin scored 2 runs and had bases loaded with two outs before Whitley got out of the inning. Top of the 8th Whitley blew it open with seven runs including a grand slam to win it 12-5.

which is funny considering Corbin would expect the same courtesy had they made it. 

I thought they were being classy. I didn't know they were whining online.
(04-26-2023, 08:49 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

didn’t do much good. Whitley just won again 5-1 and locked up the one seed.
(04-26-2023, 09:14 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:
(04-26-2023, 08:49 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

didn’t do much good. Whitley just won again 5-1 and locked up the one seed.

Colonels are rolling.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • jetpilot
I am now a big fan of Dougie's Whitley County Colonels. What a great year they are having. Hoping to see them in person.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • pjdoug
And no way Corbin is #2 in the mountains. Maybe not top 5.
(04-27-2023, 01:52 AM)jetpilot Wrote: And no way Corbin is #2 in the mountains. Maybe not top 5.

hehe. I wish I could agree.
boyd is the only school in the 13th-16th that has a higher rpi than Corbin after Whitley. 
Corbin can field the ball really well. There bats aren’t always there and their pitching struggles against good hitting teams especially in later innings but I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Whitley beat Corbin in the district and be 4-0 against them only to lose in the region title game out of nowhere.

all depends on what arms Whitley has to use to get there. If I’m Whitley I’m hoping somebody knocks off corbin along the way because I just don’t see anyone else beating Whitley in that region. But I could see Corbin getting upset on the right day.
time will tell
Congratulations to the Colonels. The talent on these 2 teams is pretty even, but WC has the advantage at the helm and that has shown in their meetings this season. They are the better team at this point.
^^^OSH always blames the coaches when Corbin loses lol...
is Whitley County smoking some hind end or what?
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • jetpilot
(05-09-2023, 03:19 PM)pjdoug Wrote: is Whitley County smoking some hind end or what?

corbin is the only team with a shot at beating them barring some kind of miracle.
whitley will have to play good baseball to beat them twice more
(05-09-2023, 11:05 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 03:19 PM)pjdoug Wrote: is Whitley County smoking some hind end or what?

corbin is the only team with a shot at beating them barring some kind of miracle.

They've exceded my expectations all season long

Not true, Whitley is far and away the best team in the 13th region, that said on the right night North Laurel, Clay Co, and Middlesboro could upset them. Baseball is a funny game like that, in one game scenarios the best teams don't always win, pitching matchup, rest days, weather, and a dozen other things could play into any of this.
(05-11-2023, 12:32 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

Not true, Whitley is far and away the best team in the 13th region, that said on the right night North Laurel, Clay Co, and Middlesboro could upset them. Baseball is a funny game like that, in one game scenarios the best teams don't always win, pitching matchup, rest days, weather, and a dozen other things could play into any of this.

anybody can lose. Whitley shouldn’t have had any trouble getting by mboro last year but choked it out. i agree Whitley is the best team by far, but Corbin is the only team that comes close. Whitley going to see everyone’s ace so they better be ready. I just don’t see any other 13th region teams beating Whitley or Corbin. And im not sure anybody will take either team past 5 innings in region.

with the state tourney draw that came out today, winner of the 13th has a legitimate shot to make that final 4 and then anything can happen. 
whitley run ruled southwestern tonight in 5 innings and shut them out 14-0
Not sure how Corbin did against Madison souther tonight but they’re on a 4 or 5 game win streak again. It’ll be a fun couple of tourneys coming up but I just don’t think anyone in this region beats those two teams. Even on a bad night
I can see Crawford from Clay able to beat any team in that Region in the first round of the region: Clays a tuff opponent with him on the hill.
Where region at in the 13th this year?

Also, after looking at KHSAA i think Whitley may have the highest RPI in the state. I’ve looks at several other regions and the closest was Trinity…
Compiled on May 13, '23 1:00 AM
Rank
Team
Region
RPI
1 Whitley County 13 .68327
2 Trinity (Louisville) 7 .65229
3 Montgomery County 10 .64429
4 Shelby County 8 .63864
5 St. Xavier 7 .63813
6 Lexington Catholic 11 .63485
7 DuPont Manual 7 .63137
8 Sayre 11 .63079
9 Paul Laurence Dunbar 11 .62919
10 Warren East 4 .62884
11 Woodford County 8 .62858
12 Madison Central 11 .62594
13 Walton-Verona 8 .61910
14 Tates Creek 11 .61747
15 Taylor County 5 .61688
16 Corbin 13 .61425
17 Beechwood 9 .61008
18 Mason County 10 .60842
19 Campbell County 10 .60741
20 Boyd County 16 .60593
21 East Carter 16 .60553
22 McCracken County 1 .60542
23 Boyle County 12 .60497
24 DeSales 6 .60428
25 Ballard 7 .60266
Crazy that the 3 highest RPI in the region are all in the 50th district. Whitley, Corbin, and South Laurel. But one of those teams isn't making the region tournament. Whitley is a little less talented than Corbin, but they play as a team and get every ounce out of their players. Its hard to beat a team like that.
I will take skill over talent all day long. Whitleys kids have the skills to pay the bills. Talent only gets you so far.