Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Jeff Honeycutt in as Breathitt county head coach
word around here is he is taking a kid or 2 from kcc with him and 1 from perry
Really good hire. Slone will help the football team a great deal along with basketball.
If kizer shows up Breathitt football may seriously play at the krog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great hire!! They know how to win in Knott. County, for sure. Maybe he can come in and instill an attitude of winning. Change the old culture of losing and bring some of that Knott County swagger in. Lord knows BHS has never had what it takes to win on a high level like Knott. If you can’t beat join em. Lol
Ah Beetlejuice you been to Breathitts football field and seen those STATE TITLES on the wall? They know how to win, believe me. I know you’re talking about basketball but how many times Knott advance to the Elite 8 when they went to state in basketball? Usually one and done.

Heard Landon Smith will be taking his Covid year and May end up at Breathitt. Just hearsay but if you hear it, may be true.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • BlackAndYellow
You can't take a covid year this year. It was supposed to only be last year.
Rules don’t apply to 14th region kids.
[-] The following 2 users Like DukeBoy's post:
  • BlackAndYellow, KnoxvillesFinest
Idk what Breathitt will do after this group is gone though..
No way Sperry stays with this low key hire.
(04-28-2023, 12:06 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: No way Sperry stays with this low key hire.
It depends on who Honeycutt can bring with him, or what players are willing to transfer. If no additions are made, there could be a good possibility of him leaving, and no one could blame him. If some of the rumors are true about players transferring in, I believe he would stay. It will be an interesting next couple of months in Jackson.
(04-27-2023, 08:09 PM)Ok DukeBoy Wrote: Ah Beetlejuice you been to Breathitts football field and seen those STATE TITLES on the wall?  They know how to win, believe me.  I know you’re talking about basketball but how many times Knott advance to the Elite 8 when they went to state in basketball?  Usually one and done.

Heard Landon Smith will be taking his Covid year and May end up at Breathitt.  Just hearsay but if you hear it, may be true.
I know you frequently mention the lack of success of the region’s teams at the state tournament but the fact is the 14th region is usually not going to do too much at the  tournament. On rare occasions they can get past the first round. It’s just what it is. But regardless someone has to win the 14th and get the opportunity to play at Rupp and that is a big deal! It’s the same with boys and girls. Boys last state title was Carr Creek, 1956, which I think was before desegregation. And the girls last title was Hazard, I think in 1998. I believe the boys have won four state championships representing the 14th in history dating back to the late 1920s  and the girls have won two since Title 9 re-started girls basketball in 1975.
(04-28-2023, 09:04 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 08:09 PM)Ok DukeBoy Wrote: Ah Beetlejuice you been to Breathitts football field and seen those STATE TITLES on the wall?  They know how to win, believe me.  I know you’re talking about basketball but how many times Knott advance to the Elite 8 when they went to state in basketball?  Usually one and done.

Heard Landon Smith will be taking his Covid year and May end up at Breathitt.  Just hearsay but if you hear it, may be true.
I know you frequently mention the lack of success of the region’s teams at the state tournament but the fact is the 14th region is usually not going to do too much at the  tournament. On rare occasions they can get past the first round. It’s just what it is. But regardless someone has to win the 14th and get the opportunity to play at Rupp and that is a big deal! It’s the same with boys and girls. Boys last state title was Carr Creek, 1956, which I think was before desegregation. And the girls last title was Hazard, I think in 1998. I believe the boys have won four state championships representing the 14th in history dating back to the late 1920s  and the girls have won two since Title 9 re-started girls basketball in 1975.
All that will start to change in ky girls sports within the next 5 years. The way this country is going we are going to have more and more Lia Thomas’ playing girls basketball.
If Skyler Ritchie and Kizer Slone end up at Breathitt, they are #1 team in the region pretty easily. And then there’s some of the Knott kids that may come. Honeycutts son who is a good player will help. I think Sperry stays one more year. Senior year he needs to go to a Prep School and begin to focus on basketball. Kizer makes Breathitt Football a whole lot better. Not just a little, a LOT. Sperry will catch a lot of passes this year if it happens. May be a ring awaiting the Cats. Still will be tuff accomplishment but possible. Winning a ring at Perry would be a lot harder. Honeycutt will do good with whatever hand he is dealt. Good coach and a good person. I think he was a good hire.
Go to Twitter and type in Austin Sperry. Kid is getting a lot of love on the national level from folks who know. As Duke said, I think he stays one more year and then goes prep. Not going the prep route his senior year would be a disservice to him.
(04-28-2023, 09:35 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: Go to Twitter and type in Austin Sperry.  Kid is getting a lot of love on the national level from folks who know.  As Duke said, I think he stays one more year and then goes prep.  Not going the prep route his senior year would be a disservice to him.
He’ll be knocking the door down to being 20 years old at time of his graduation. If he’s that good then he needs to reclassify and get on with his life ,  no matter what that entails.  I’d hate to think BHS based their coaching hire on what transfers he could bring with him.
Beetlejuice, do you think College Coaches care how old you are seriously? Wonder how old Big O is at UK? Probably about 25. If you can play, colleges will be glad to take you. The win at the end of the day don’t say, beat by 19 year old. Kids have been maxed out age wise since the existence of sports around these parts. Stop being so Jelly of Austin.
  • BlackAndYellow
Disgruntled parents love having a voice here on BGR..
(04-26-2023, 08:52 AM)Diablo Wrote: Hire someone young fresh out of college. All them names are all washed up.

(04-28-2023, 09:49 AM)Beetlejuice Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 09:35 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: Go to Twitter and type in Austin Sperry.  Kid is getting a lot of love on the national level from folks who know.  As Duke said, I think he stays one more year and then goes prep.  Not going the prep route his senior year would be a disservice to him.
He’ll be knocking the door down to being 20 years old at time of his graduation. If he’s that good then he needs to reclassify and get on with his life ,  no matter what that entails.  I’d hate to think BHS based their coaching hire on what transfers he could bring with him.

To an extent I think college coaches care, look at the NBA Draft, that's why a really good athlete who is only 19-20 years old averaging 9 ppg goes over a 4 year starter from a small school averaging 25 ppg. Sperry is old enough to be a senior, but that is beside the point, what I am getting is, when you think of sophomores you think of a lot more physical growth, game expanding, etc, but with his age, you wonder how much more that will happen for him. Do not misunderstand my post, he is a great talent, but just thinking out loud.
[-] The following 2 users Like KYHoopFan's post:
  • Beetlejuice, Mountainparkway
(04-28-2023, 10:18 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Beetlejuice, do you think College Coaches care how old you are seriously?  Wonder how old Big O is at UK?  Probably about 25.  If you can play, colleges will be glad to take you.  The win at the end of the day don’t say, beat by 19 year old.  Kids have been maxed out age wise since the existence of sports around these parts.  Stop being so Jelly of Austin.

First off, he is not on that level and never will be.  He will never make a dime playing ball.  That’s the difference.
He has a tremendous advantage already with his superior athletic ability and size (for a guard). I think his ceiling is still really high. He’s not reached his full potential by any means. He’s been gifted with what I’ve already said and depending on how much work he puts in, he has TWO years to get his shot on point. Scary to think how good he CAN be. This is coming from a completely unbiased opinion. I have zero ties to Breathitt County or the kid but I do like to give credit where credit is due.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackAndYellow's post:
  • DukeBoy
Sperry has unlimited potential. Probably needs to leave here to reach it. To many jealous people around here wanting to see kids fail. Only certain chosen kids around here that are allowed to celebrate their success. I’m all for celebrating all them, not a certain few. Don’t pay the critics any attention Austin, your already better and more accomplished and than any of them.
Sperry is a good athlete in the weakest region in the state. Period. This AAU ball doesn’t meant jack squat. I’ve watched the highlights his mother puts on twitter and I’m not very impressed with the talent or defense. No fundamentals taught. Just run up and down the court with fancy dribbling and head fakes and open layups. Actually I think it hurts young ball players to an extent. GRC don’t want sperry and the only place he could transfer is within the region. His age has to play a factor when assessing his talent. Like the previous poster said his ceiling is about tapped out. I don’t see him getting much better only stronger which will help in the 14th.
(04-28-2023, 01:01 PM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: Disgruntled parents love having a voice here on BGR..
In all honesty if sperry would toughen up and hit the weights and get a better attitude he could probably excel at football better than basketball. He needs to toughen up and catch slants and balls over the middle. Right now he only has caught screens, deep sideline balls and deep post behind the safety when he knows he’s not going to take a hard hit. I hope he reads this and takes it the right way. Toughen up and change the attitude and you could play receiver at the next level and succeed.

(04-28-2023, 02:35 PM)BlackAndYellow Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 01:01 PM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: Disgruntled parents love having a voice here on BGR..
I’m not sperrys dad bruh

Everything I’ve said is spot on. Sorry people are so woke. Not criticizing just pointing out the obvious. Kid could be great football player and a mediocre basketball player.

The attitude example is he usually gets a personal foul every football game when he takes a hard hit. And on the basketball court when the male player was playing hard defense on him and sperry couldn’t shake him he got really frustrated and grabbed the kids arms in between the 3rd and 4th quarter and was gave a technical.
(04-28-2023, 02:36 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: In all honesty if sperry would toughen up and hit the weights and get a better attitude he could probably excel at football better than basketball. He needs to toughen up and catch slants and balls over the middle. Right now he only has caught screens, deep sideline balls and deep post behind the safety when he knows he’s not going to take a hard hit. I hope he reads this and takes it the right way. Toughen up and change the attitude and you could play receiver at the next level and succeed.

I’m not sperrys dad bruh

Everything I’ve said is spot on. Sorry people are so woke. Not criticizing just pointing out the obvious. Kid could be great football player and a mediocre basketball player.

The attitude example is he usually gets a personal foul every football game when he takes a hard hit. And on the basketball court when the male player was playing hard defense on him and sperry couldn’t shake him he got really frustrated and grabbed the kids arms in between the 3rd and 4th quarter and was gave a technical.

I didn’t say you were his dad…bruh.

I said disgruntled parents (like you) love having a voice here on BGR.  Thank you for proving my point.
Kid is a baller, just think what he can do with some decent coaching. Basketball is his bread and butter.
  • BlackAndYellow
(04-28-2023, 02:53 PM)BlackAndYellow Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 02:36 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: In all honesty if sperry would toughen up and hit the weights and get a better attitude he could probably excel at football better than basketball. He needs to toughen up and catch slants and balls over the middle. Right now he only has caught screens, deep sideline balls and deep post behind the safety when he knows he’s not going to take a hard hit. I hope he reads this and takes it the right way. Toughen up and change the attitude and you could play receiver at the next level and succeed.

I’m not sperrys dad bruh

I didn’t say you were his dad…bruh.

I said disgruntled parents (like you) love having a voice here on BGR.  Thank you for proving my point.
What did I say that wasn’t a good assessment? I’m open for a good debate if you can spit some facts instead of saying “you’re a hater and bashing kids blah blah blah”. I’m stating he’s better at football than basketball. People is getting soft
This Sperry kid will never have to make it to the NBA or even work, because he lives RENT FREE in so many people’s heads. Kid is set for life.

Title of this thread is: Honeycutt in….

But another thread becomes obsessed with this boy.  It would be laughable if it weren’t true.
Honeycutts record depends on sperry rotc. If he transfers to hazard or pcc then it’s all irrelevant
Then, that should be discussed in the: “Where Will Sperry attend HS 23-4 Thread?”

……is all I’m sayin’