Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Derrick Newsome out at Betsy Layne
(05-10-2023, 08:23 PM)Sports72 Wrote: Nailed that call a week ago!! Like reading a book.

Explain?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grinch1's post:
  • devils88
(05-10-2023, 08:31 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 08:23 PM)Sports72 Wrote: Nailed that call a week ago!! Like reading a book.

Explain?
I believe he was talking about them reposting it due to the names that applied. Assuming they were not interested in any of them? The high school just posted on their Facebook they are accepting applicants a for anyone interested to contact the school if interested.
(05-11-2023, 09:29 AM)devils88 Wrote:

Explain?
I believe he was talking about them reposting it due to the names that applied. Assuming they were not interested in any of them? The high school just posted on their Facebook they are accepting applicants a for anyone interested to contact the school if interested.

Sounds like a political move. Typical Floyd County. And that’s why they’re so behind the rest of the region in athletics.
(05-11-2023, 10:04 AM)BillSelf Wrote:
(05-11-2023, 09:29 AM)devils88 Wrote:

Explain?

Sounds like a political move. Typical Floyd County. And that’s why they’re so behind the rest of the region in athletics.
Wow. I just assumed that had who they were going to hire in mind and would have heard something soon since school is about out and summer ball is starting up. Now since they opened it up to everyone it’s going to be real interesting seeing and hearing of who all applies and they give an interview too.
I heard they were going to have a parents meeting and let them vote since they run everything anyways
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nolietotell's post:
  • Westside
wow, nolietotell if that's true, that is a sad situation
Nolie is just being a troll.

It’s Mike Howard or Mason Hall IMO.
Mike Howard will get the job IMO!
Rady Martin should be the hire here. If you follow your own county rules hes the most qualified candidate. Do the right thing for once. He deserves the job and the powers that be need to follow the protocol.
I just saw where he applied. He has to be the leading candidate now.
After reading the policies myself.

It reads as “preferred”, not “required”.

Kinda like job descriptions…

Masters degree preferred, Bachelors Degree required.

In regards to a candidate getting it just because they are certified.

Howard to my understanding was let go from Adams Middle and Pikeville Middle due to something player related, verbal and so on. Got rid of at Betsy Layne due to getting into it with Parents.

Not sure, that would be something they’d want after “Bobby knight” like atmosphere with Newsome.
Who’s the front runners down there now since repost? 1 of the 3 possible hires has never been mentioned imo! ?Wonder what effect this policy will have on middle school
(05-11-2023, 08:13 PM)Sports72 Wrote: Who’s the front runners down there now since repost? 1 of the 3 possible hires has never been mentioned imo!    ?Wonder what effect this policy will have on middle 

Policy states preferred, not required. Not a have to thing. 

Middle School May be open if their current coach gets the HS Job.
Any idea on who applied for this job. I’ve saw a couple names. Thought this job would get a lot of interest.
(05-12-2023, 09:22 AM)Dawgs01 Wrote: Any idea on who applied for this job. I’ve saw a couple names. Thought this job would get a lot of interest.
Hearing that they will loosing atleast 1 starter. Possibly 2 depending on who the coach is and how long it takes to name the new coach
(05-12-2023, 09:40 PM)devils88 Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 09:22 AM)Dawgs01 Wrote: Any idea on who applied for this job. I’ve saw a couple names. Thought this job would get a lot of interest.
Hearing that they will loosing atleast 1 starter. Possibly 2 depending on who the coach is and how long it takes to name the new coach

You just have to love the famed Mud Creek gossip!
I had heard some kids may leave if Newsome was back. I figured they’d stay now though. Who knows. Sounds like they better get this hire right. The outgoing coach won 2 districts and a runner up in 3 years. Hard to get much better than that.
Idea that may help Betsy Layne.

After the posting is closed.

Their principal should present all resumes nameless and no location attached. Simply name the level and everything accomplished in totality.

After that’s done and top 3 have been selected. Break it down to what have you done for me lately. Again, no names and accomplishments over the past 5 years.

Down to 2 applicants. Lastly, ask the players (ones who finished season and ones who didn’t) as well as incoming 8th graders who do you want. Which I believe could help create buy-in from the players.

Example:
2 District Championships
2 County Runner-Up
15th Region Champ
Divisional Champ
Conference Runner-Up

Makes sense, maybe too much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BillSelf's post:
  • devils88
I believe Wednesday 5/17/23 is last day to apply for Betsy Lane job. Rumor has it that there is a shakeup at BL K-8 job as well. Maybe Hall will be the HS coach. Hopefully no politics involved at another Floyd County school.
Mike Howard is the leading candidate from what I’ve been hearing. Hall is out at middle school.
Rumor has it that Mike Howard will be announced as the Coach tonight or tomorrow. Just a rumor so we will find out soon I think.
What happened to Hall at the middle school?
Wasn’t brought back is all I heard
(05-17-2023, 10:52 AM)Doc Fanning Wrote: What happened to Hall at the middle school?
Hall won a lot at Betsy Lane, it doesnt make much sense. Unless something else is going on like getting selected for HS job.
Hired Robbie Johnson as replacement, former Dace middle school coach is the rumor.
I don’t think he’s gonna be getting the high school job. Looks like he’s just out. Won a lot at middle school. Something doesn’t seem right behind the scenes
From what I can gather, it was due to parents being upset about playing time.

Saw on EKY Junior Sports...didn't they win 4 of the 5 county championships this year from 3rd-8th, only losing in 5th grade finals I believe? Clean Sweeping the MS 6th-8th?

Record for 3rd-8th grade was something like 106-10

In all 12 county finals during his time there, winning 7 of them

How in the world does it seem logical to just let someone go like that?

And we wonder why FC kids leave the county. Who let him go?
(05-17-2023, 01:14 PM)BillSelf Wrote: From what I can gather, it was due to parents being upset about playing time.

Saw on EKY Junior Sports...didn't they win 4 of the 5 county championships this year from 3rd-8th, only losing in 5th grade finals I believe? Clean Sweeping the MS 6th-8th?

Sometimes not a lot of logic in these things. Newsome was a winner for the high school, he may have left of his own, but it was most likely a force out. Both Newsome & Hall won a lot. It will be interesting to see what happens and why it happened. Should see something by the weekend or early next week.
(05-17-2023, 02:36 PM)GeraldDaLoved Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 01:14 PM)BillSelf Wrote: From what I can gather, it was due to parents being upset about playing time.

Sometimes not a lot of logic in these things. Newsome was a winner for the high school, he may have left of his own, but it was most likely a force out. Both Newsome & Hall won a lot. It will be interesting to see what happens and why it happened. Should see something by the weekend or early next week.
If it was a few parents that was unhappy and forced Newsome out and was the biggest factor in letting Hall go, then I believe that’s a huge mistake on BL athletics.  Some parents aren’t ever going to be satisfied and these two coaches produced a lot of wins for those programs.  At what point does the administration stand up to the parents and say this is how it is and if you don’t like then go somewhere else.  

Yes Floyd County loses athletes but if you keep changing coaches that are proven winners, then you will just lose more athletes when their parents realizes it’s being catered to a certain group.
Coaching is more than just winning games.
(05-17-2023, 04:28 PM)100%SUCCESS Wrote: Coaching is more than just winning games.

Yeah, certainly seems like you gotta make everyone happy or else. Gotta be controlled like a puppet. You make the wrong parents mad and you’re gone. 

The one it seems like BLHS is hiring had shouting matches with fans in games he reffed, verbal abuse of players and getting into it with parents.

After next season, another political move will be made. As another coach will be hired. You heard it here first.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BillSelf's post:
  • SouthEast18