•  Previous
  • 13(current)
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Red Devils 2008
kybaseball Wrote:When did it start. Has it always been against Greenup?

It was either 02 or 03 I believe. We think it was our sons sophomore year and yes it has always been against Greenup.
If I am not mistaken the backyard brawl was started with the perception of all three schools in GC (GC,Raceland,Russell) to play each other for a trophy of some sorts. Now Russell and GC have always played each other through the years and GC and Raceland have played each other. Just last year Russell and Raceland have just started to play each other again. It all actually came about with some attorney's to add a little flavor to the games.
DEVIL89 Wrote:If I am not mistaken the backyard brawl was started with the perception of all three schools in GC (GC,Raceland,Russell) to play each other for a trophy of some sorts. Now Russell and GC have always played each other through the years and GC and Raceland have played each other. Just last year Russell and Raceland have just started to play each other again. It all actually came about with some attorney's to add a little flavor to the games.

Thank you for the info.Smile
I didn't think Raceland had anything to do with the Backyard brawl. Isn't the game called the rail cities bowl or something?
Rail City Bowl this year will be at Russell,both team should be loaded and could be the best team at Raceland in well FOREVER !!!
This coming year will be the 50th meeting between the schools...
NUmber 50 !!!!!!
Great to see this rivalry up and going again. Great to have them on the 09-10 schedule also...
Cant wait for that game,, could see the battle of the unbeatens in that game... Yea I think they could both be unbeaten coming in to this game.....
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Rail City Bowl this year will be at Russell,both team should be loaded and could be the best team at Raceland in well FOREVER !!!
NUmber 50 !!!!!!
Great to see this rivalry up and going again. Great to have them on the 09-10 schedule also...
Cant wait for that game,, could see the battle of the unbeatens in that game... Yea I think they could both be unbeaten coming in to this game.....
Where are you getting the 09-10 schedule?
DevilsWin Wrote:Where are you getting the 09-10 schedule?
http://www.russell-ind.k12.ky.us/reddevi...hedule.htm
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Rail City Bowl this year will be at Russell,both team should be loaded and could be the best team at Raceland in well FOREVER !!!
NUmber 50 !!!!!!

Its a given Russell will be strong. Is Raceland really going to be that strong? The reason i ask is because i haven't heared anything about them this year.
Sleepers!!!I think they lost 3-4 startes from both sides of the ball, and they have been working hard. I watched alot of them during track season and the lineman were running the 4X100 and were doing well. Denton is a beast, Carver is too.
i would rank them second to Russell inthe area this year. Hey it is just my opinion. but I think they will surprise everyone in their district and represent our community very well this year in the playoffs. This team has the potential of getting to Louisville....You might think it is a longshot, but it is a chance.
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Sleepers!!!I think they lost 3-4 startes from both sides of the ball, and they have been working hard. I watched alot of them during track season and the lineman were running the 4X100 and were doing well. Denton is a beast, Carver is too.
i would rank them second to Russell inthe area this year. Hey it is just my opinion. but I think they will surprise everyone in their district and represent our community very well this year in the playoffs. This team has the potential of getting to Louisville....You might think it is a longshot, but it is a chance.

THey should be decent. Should be really good for 1A. I do think though if both teams are healthy come game time. Raceland will find it hard to stick within 4 TD's of Russell. Raceland had all the emotion and adrenaline on their side last year, and still couldn't stay close. It should be on Russell this year, and I look for them to put it all over Raceland.
I agree that Russell will win but Raceland will be tough and should be a great game for us. My predicition is that Raceland is undefeated until they play us.
Thanks for info.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Sleepers!!!I think they lost 3-4 startes from both sides of the ball, and they have been working hard. I watched alot of them during track season and the lineman were running the 4X100 and were doing well. Denton is a beast, Carver is too.

I for one think that Raceland will be a very good football team. Just think if Raceland and Russell were to combine and be able to play in 3-A like one other is. Russell will handle Raceland even with the beast. I would love to go to louisville and watch Raceland play.
If Russell/Raceland combined to make lets see..........RUSSLAND or lets say the Flatwoods Phenoms or something like that.....well then the school colors would prolly be Maroon and Black or Orange/Yellow.. Or with the slection of the kids would prolly wear Camo with hunter Orange trim.

Wow would that not be a site??? I just know if that ever happend this area would have a great 5A school that could compete.
But we would stay in 3A for one year to make it even and fair for everyone that we play since we could not possibly compete at a higher level of competition until after we have beaten everyone in the 3A...

Sorry just a taste of 2006 on my tonguye, nothing else. Harlan County I am not talking about you guys either......Cough,,,cough merger COUGH !!
I'm not so sure that they would be a 5A school. It would be around 450 boys, which is what the KHSAA bases it on. Maybe not even that many. This is still not ike Harlan or Mercer. If GC, Raceland, and Russell all combined then stayed in 3A. I'd say the average margin of victory in the playoffs would be around 35+. Your second team would be as good as the first team. I wonder how much griping we would hear then.
Any more field pic's?
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:If Russell/Raceland combined to make lets see..........RUSSLAND or lets say the Flatwoods Phenoms or something like that.....well then the school colors would prolly be Maroon and Black or Orange/Yellow.. Or with the slection of the kids would prolly wear Camo with hunter Orange trim.

Wow would that not be a site??? I just know if that ever happend this area would have a great 5A school that could compete.
But we would stay in 3A for one year to make it even and fair for everyone that we play since we could not possibly compete at a higher level of competition until after we have beaten everyone in the 3A...

Sorry just a taste of 2006 on my tonguye, nothing else. Harlan County I am not talking about you guys either......Cough,,,cough merger COUGH !!

Some try to justify that it is Okay to combine teams because you still only can play 11 on the field. I disagree you take the best talent from two teams and combine you are going to be a better football team. I'm miffed as to why KHSAA allows this to happen. It's just down right wrong.
If you can pick your 11 boys from 800 boys, and I can only pick mine from 300. Who do you think is going to have more talented players, and less weak spots. Russell puts out good talent. So if you doubled the number of boys they have, which is pretty much if not more what Harlan co has. You will can only assume it would be like cloning each player on the team. Eevry once in awhile you get a special talent, but most players can be judged equally from year to year at most positions. How many players will HC have playing both ways this year? That is one huge advantage larger schools have over the smaller ones. Russell will have quite a few starting both ways. Probably around 9.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:If Russell/Raceland combined to make lets see..........RUSSLAND or lets say the Flatwoods Phenoms or something like that.....well then the school colors would prolly be Maroon and Black or Orange/Yellow.. Or with the slection of the kids would prolly wear Camo with hunter Orange trim.

Love it.
  •  Previous
  • 13(current)