•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Red Devils 2008
What is the cut off for work outs, age-grade. Just wondering.. yea my son wouold love to hit the weight room too. We are looking too, I know that there are about 10 5th graders who are working out right now for football. I am serious, they are running the track the stadium and lifting. That shows dedication from our youth program. They look atthe high school boys as rolemodels, so guys dont forget it.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:What is the cut off for work outs, age-grade. Just wondering.. yea my son wouold love to hit the weight room too. We are looking too, I know that there are about 10 5th graders who are working out right now for football. I am serious, they are running the track the stadium and lifting. That shows dedication from our youth program. They look atthe high school boys as rolemodels, so guys dont forget it.

Don't take me for granted on this but when i was coaching there you had to be in the 8th grade getting ready to go into teh (th
RedDevilRB Wrote:Never let the other team out work you.:devilflam
thats correct...i always think of that when im working out....for example "i bet mason county is doing one more rep then me" so i do another and so on and so on[/QUOTE]

Thats the way to be work hard and it will all pay off in the end
starting today with my boy.
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Dont say never, I do remember a passing team at Russell, and I mean passing. I cant remember what year it was but Russell lead the state in passing or holds some kind of record at KHSAA for passing. I think it was in the early 90's. They were tough too, alot of speed and height on that team. Anybody remember the QB name. I think DAY was the leading receiver and Matt was the QB. I am thinking 94 for some reason.
Tyler Wyant was the QB and Eric Day was the RB/WR. Russell was nowhere close to leading the state in passing. Day had over 1,000 yards recieving and about 800 rushing. Wyant threw for 1,500 yards. Pretty good but not record setting by most schools standards. The year was 1998.
EkyLb Wrote:Hopefully they will pass quite a bit more next year. With AJ there it should make it interesting. Gotta get the ball into the hands of the play makers more often. Mitchell or Bailey don't get enough touches on the ball. I think Bailey led the team in All purpose yds, with very minimal touches all year.
Mitchell and Bailey are both playmakers. Bailey really came on at the end of the season after a couple of shakey games. I think both will play a bigger role next year if the can get more consistant catching the ball.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:starting today with my boy.

Your boy has Marv Meredith to worry about right now and the sad part is that I will have to spend all winter with you because one of mine decided to play.:p
Yea I just heard that too. Great ti hear that I will have to see you all winter.!!!!!
Zip is still lifting this winter, I do know that Isaac Sherman, Brant Smith, Bronson Korzep, G Robinson, Logan Suman are in the process of working out this winter, yet others will be doing something, I can see that kids are preparing, thats good.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Yea I just heard that too. Great ti hear that I will have to see you all winter.!!!!!
Zip is still lifting this winter, I do know that Isaac Sherman, Brant Smith, Bronson Korzep, G Robinson, Logan Suman are in the process of working out this winter, yet others will be doing something, I can see that kids are preparing, thats good.
Great....there goes my winter too....LOL I have to see both of ya now..
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
jgrubby Wrote:Great....there goes my winter too....LOL I have to see both of ya now..

Well thanks for ruining my Christmas........:p
Dont worry I can not talk to both of ya. THERE ,,,nanner,nanner........
DevilsWin Wrote:Tyler Wayant-QB 1516 pass yds - 1998
Ryan Day- WR 1124 rec yds-1998

That should be Eric Day who held the TD record before Gross broke it. They passed a ton that year. Wyant wasn't much of a running QB. Aj is a lot faster than Wyant and needs to hang onto the ball a little better, but I could see them airing it more. 10 passes a game would make a huge difference. Since Russell's 2 leading recievers average more than a 1st down per catch.
RedDevilRB Wrote:Yes david bailey was leading in "all purpose yards" drew abrams had almost more"rushing" yards than he had all purpose, and he did not even return punts kickoff catch passes or anything of the sort

I believe Abrams had more than 3 times as many carries. Bailey was very inconsistent this year, especially at the beginning of the season. I believe Bailey had a slight advantage in YPC. He needs to get stronger though. Drew did a good job this year. Had a little better blocking too. Most of the time Bailey was getting hit 1 step after getting the ball. I know Mcglone likes his 26, but if they can go 60-40, it will open things up so much more for both backs, not to mention Bates at FB. Work out had and push each other, you don't get anywhere without each other. Russell could easily have 2 backs go over 1000yds, and possibly 3. Will be tough considering a lot of games Mcglone pulls starters just after halftime, but its possible.
EkyLb Wrote:I believe Abrams had more than 3 times as many carries. Bailey was very inconsistent this year, especially at the beginning of the season. I believe Bailey had a slight advantage in YPC. He needs to get stronger though. Drew did a good job this year. Had a little better blocking too. Most of the time Bailey was getting hit 1 step after getting the ball. I know Mcglone likes his 26, but if they can go 60-40, it will open things up so much more for both backs, not to mention Bates at FB. Work out had and push each other, you don't get anywhere without each other. Russell could easily have 2 backs go over 1000yds, and possibly 3. Will be tough considering a lot of games Mcglone pulls starters just after halftime, but its possible.

very true, Russell will have 3 solid backs coming back next yr
all 3 are good backs but they are not exceptional backs, don't get me wrong on this but there is alot of work to do with them. Drew came on really strong through the year you could see it every week, Dave had his moments, but has to become more consistant, Bates has some good speed but needs to learn how to hit the holes a little harder for the inside trap play to work well, yes I know that this was their first year together in the backfield and I know that they will mature through next year so we can only hope and wait to see what happens come next August(HOW LONG UNTIL THEN?), so with that work hard in the off season and be ready for next year.
EkyLb Wrote:That should be Eric Day who held the TD record before Gross broke it. They passed a ton that year. Wyant wasn't much of a running QB. Aj is a lot faster than Wyant and needs to hang onto the ball a little better, but I could see them airing it more. 10 passes a game would make a huge difference. Since Russell's 2 leading recievers average more than a 1st down per catch.
:p
Just get ready and start now for the rest of your life, football or not, what you start now you will reep the benefits later, and down the road. Garonteaya!!!!!!!!
Just keep focused on getting better stronger faster............
EkyLb Wrote:I believe Abrams had more than 3 times as many carries. Bailey was very inconsistent this year, especially at the beginning of the season. I believe Bailey had a slight advantage in YPC. He needs to get stronger though. Drew did a good job this year. Had a little better blocking too. Most of the time Bailey was getting hit 1 step after getting the ball. I know Mcglone likes his 26, but if they can go 60-40, it will open things up so much more for both backs, not to mention Bates at FB. Work out had and push each other, you don't get anywhere without each other. Russell could easily have 2 backs go over 1000yds, and possibly 3. Will be tough considering a lot of games Mcglone pulls starters just after halftime, but its possible.

If Russell doesn't have 1,500 yds out of Abrams, 1,200 multi purpose yards yds out of Bailey, 500 yds for Bates, 500 yds for Cordle and 1,000 passing yards coming into the 2nd round of play offs you can forget going to Loiusville. These are the kind of numbers that you must have coming out of the Russell Offense.

Cordle has to average 7yds per carry on the bootleg. Abrams has to be averaging at least 9-10 yds per carry. Bailey, who as the guy you don't key on, should be averaging 11-12 yds per carry. Pass percentage must be no lower than 40%.

This is about the best you can do out of the wing t without the big threat player who's gonna put up 2,500 yards in a season and run for 30 TD's.
I think you have to consider the fact that this was everyone's first year in the Russell Varsity backfield. Thats one advantage Clark and Gross had was starting as Freshman and/or Soph's. Not to say that any of these kids are as good as them. Im not gonna say they arent either, but that just makes an immense difference.
Not to mention I believe it was Bailey and Bates first year ever at running back. I think you will see a huge difference next year, more of a difference than you saw from the Cabel scrimmage to the Breathitt game.
The Devils will be fine next year sounds loke they have alot of talent returning and that means they can only improve so I look for them to be a unbeaten team come playoff time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EkyLb Wrote:I think you have to consider the fact that this was everyone's first year in the Russell Varsity backfield. Thats one advantage Clark and Gross had was starting as Freshman and/or Soph's. Not to say that any of these kids are as good as them. Im not gonna say they arent either, but that just makes an immense difference.
Not to mention I believe it was Bailey and Bates first year ever at running back. I think you will see a huge difference next year, more of a difference than you saw from the Cabel scrimmage to the Breathitt game.
I agree with you that I think this group will be much better with a year of experience under their belt and another year to mature. They are very talented. What Clark and especially Gross had besides more experience was more speed. If Gross got an inch of daylight he was gone. He was also had the best instincts I have ever seen. Setting up his blocks, knowing when to cut, knowing when to accelerate and hit the hole hard. Don't tip toe.
FBALL Wrote:I agree with you that I think this group will be much better with a year of experience under their belt and another year to mature. They are very talented. What Clark and especially Gross had besides more experience was more speed. If Gross got an inch of daylight he was gone. He was also had the best instincts I have ever seen. Setting up his blocks, knowing when to cut, knowing when to accelerate and hit the hole hard. Don't tip toe.

He sure did I agree 100%
EkyLb Wrote:I think you have to consider the fact that this was everyone's first year in the Russell Varsity backfield. Thats one advantage Clark and Gross had was starting as Freshman and/or Soph's. Not to say that any of these kids are as good as them. Im not gonna say they arent either, but that just makes an immense difference.
I'm not saying they can't make it happen. With hard work, if they start now, it will happen. If they work hard. This is the off season and time for results, not excuses. This new backfield has tons of experience coming into 2008. Not as much as the 2 classes before them but more than most. Russell will be fine, just fine. Remember we don't rebuild, we reload. No rebuilding team makes it to the 3rd round and wins or nearly wins every year.
FBALL Wrote:I agree with you that I think this group will be much better with a year of experience under their belt and another year to mature. They are very talented. What Clark and especially Gross had besides more experience was more speed. If Gross got an inch of daylight he was gone. He was also had the best instincts I have ever seen. Setting up his blocks, knowing when to cut, knowing when to accelerate and hit the hole hard. Don't tip toe.

I think this group of running backs could learn a lot by going back and watching some of the film on Gross. How he set up blocks, how he would cut back to obtain more blocks. Now the acceleration well thats hard to learn. You can get quicker although.
DevilsWin Wrote:I'm not saying they can't make it happen. With hard work, if they start now, it will happen. If they work hard. This is the off season and time for results, not excuses. This new backfield has tons of experience coming into 2008. Not as much as the 2 classes before them but more than most. Russell will be fine, just fine. Remember we don't rebuild, we reload. No rebuilding team makes it to the 3rd round and wins or nearly wins every year.

Very well said. We have a great group of running backs. They will improve with hard work. I personally look for Russell to be a favorite next year with all the expertise they bring back.
Belfry returns alot too, so I hope that we will dominate.
Jeepman Wrote:I think this group of running backs could learn a lot by going back and watching some of the film on Gross. How he set up blocks, how he would cut back to obtain more blocks. Now the acceleration well thats hard to learn. You can get quicker although.
They could learn from watching that film. It took Clark a while but he finally learned to quit dancing and hit the hole. If it gets two yards take it. If you break a tackle it could turn into much more.
Was trying to think of Russell's returning players. Those that started or so quite a bit of action.
Abrams
Cordle
Mitchell
Bates
Rice
Bailey
Dillon
Miller
K. Smith

I believe that is all. Please add others u can think of
Dolly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EkyLb Wrote:Was trying to think of Russell's returning players. Those that started or so quite a bit of action.
Abrams
Cordle
Mitchell
Bates
Rice
Bailey
Dillon
Miller
K. Smith

I believe that is all. Please add others u can think of
Derek Fosson started at the begining of the year. Continued to play well on special teams and as a backup. I think he has alot of potential for next season.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next