Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 14th Region Rankings and Predictions
Who will be the top dogs in the region next season?

1.  Breathitt
2.  Wolfe
3.  Knott
4.  Estill
5.  Hazard

What does everyone think?
I think Letcher and Powell will be right there as well.
(07-25-2023, 10:40 AM)catsrule Wrote: I think Letcher and Powell will be right there as well.

Letcher will always be in it with dean, just like hazard has been and will continue to be now with Varney. But….

1. Breathitt- losing Combs hurts, but they rake, and I believe Bellamy may be the best pitcher in the region
2. Letcher- losing Little will hurt but they have a well rounded team, and still have Williams atop the rotation
3. Wolfe- They lose Truett Molands but he was a situational starter. Basically bring back 100% of their roster after a year of finally coming into their own. 
4. KCC- may be a controversial pick here. But I believe the young pats will build off of a solid ending to last year giving Letcher and Estill all they wanted in the final 2 games. 
5. Powell- Estill just loses too much from last year. I think the Pirates will win District which will allow them to possibly get to a region semis then who knows from there. 

I believe that there is a distinct drop off from the top 3 and everyone else. But it’s off season, and it’s baseball. So you never know.
1. Breathitt- Having the almost definite POY this year is a huge return, also returning Tincher and Howard I think they’re one of the favorites this year.

2. Wolfe-Wolfe returning all 9 starters is a something that will play a huge role in their winning this season. Young team with a lot of talent and very good coaching, I think Wolfe and Breathitt could either one be the top seed going into the season.

3. Letcher- Losing Little and Huff definitely hurt them but returning Williams will help. They have arguably the best coach in the region and will find a way to compete with anyone.

4. Knott- Getting Huff back on transfer along with the rest of their young talent will be a big aspect in their success. Like Wolfe this team is very young and very talented but I think they need another year or two under their belts at the varsity level

5. Powell- Powell probably has the most arms in the region but don’t have a great offense. Powell biggest problem is they don’t show up every game to play, when Powell is playing up to their ability they’re a very solid ball club but still don’t think they have it in them to win the region.

After that the teams fall off drastically, Hazard and Perry will win some games but don’t think they are a huge threat in the tournament play unless Varneh develops a lot of players.
(01-05-2024, 02:47 PM)Bulldog717 Wrote: 1. Breathitt- Having the almost definite POY this year is a huge return, also returning Tincher and Howard I think they’re one of the favorites this year.

2. Wolfe-Wolfe returning all 9 starters is a something that will play a huge role in their winning this season. Young team with a lot of talent and very good coaching, I think Wolfe and Breathitt could either one be the top seed going into the season.

3. Letcher- Losing Little and Huff definitely hurt them but returning Williams will help. They have arguably the best coach in the region and will find a way to compete with anyone.

4. Knott- Getting Huff back on transfer along with the rest of their young talent will be a big aspect in their success. Like Wolfe this team is very young and very talented but I think they need another year or two under their belts at the varsity level

5. Powell- Powell probably has the most arms in the region but don’t have a great offense. Powell biggest problem is they don’t show up every game to play, when Powell is playing up to their ability they’re a very solid ball club but still don’t think they have it in them to win the region.

After that the teams fall off drastically, Hazard and Perry will win some games but don’t think they are a huge threat in the tournament play unless Varneh develops a lot of players.

im anxious to see Knott county. If they can develop a couple of arms they could have a really good year. 

im just as anxious to see the Howard kid. I wasn’t sure his name until I saw your post but he’s not been 100% for a couple years. He could be a game changer. 

wolfe is an outlier this year because they are going to have to rely on guys this year they didn’t have to in the past. Whisman struggled in the district last year but he could be a beast. I’m not sure if he threw in the region or not? I saw a kid that threw after Whisman in the district. He struggled to throw strikes but his stuff was good enough to develop. Throwing strikes is 98% of it. 

Should be a fun year
(01-05-2024, 07:55 PM)14th Official Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 02:47 PM)Bulldog717 Wrote: 1. Breathitt- Having the almost definite POY this year is a huge return, also returning Tincher and Howard I think they’re one of the favorites this year.

im anxious to see Knott county. If they can develop a couple of arms they could have a really good year. 

im just as anxious to see the Howard kid. I wasn’t sure his name until I saw your post but he’s not been 100% for a couple years. He could be a game changer. 

wolfe is an outlier this year because they are going to have to rely on guys this year they didn’t have to in the past. Whisman struggled in the district last year but he could be a beast. I’m not sure if he threw in the region or not? I saw a kid that threw after Whisman in the district. He struggled to throw strikes but his stuff was good enough to develop. Throwing strikes is 98% of it. 

Should be a fun year

We will be fine at Estill. Coach Crowe will field a team that will compete for the district/region every year. We return several guys that can play. Will we be down this year? Maybe compared to years past. But, we will play a tough schedule that will have us ready for post season play.
(01-06-2024, 11:18 AM)EstillAlum Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 07:55 PM)14th Official Wrote:

Should be a fun year

We will be fine at Estill. Coach Crowe will field a team that will compete for the district/region every year. We return several guys that can play. Will we be down this year? Maybe compared to years past. But, we will play a tough schedule that will have us ready for post season play.

That seems to be true every year I’ve seen them.
I think

Powell
Wolfe
Breathitt
Letcher
Knott
Hazard
Estill
(01-20-2024, 07:41 PM)Baseball247 Wrote: I think

Powell
Wolfe
Breathitt
Letcher
Knott
Hazard
Estill
Powell will be a top 5 team. They should be anyway
Forehand was good but I don’t think he was Estill’s ace. Niece is the one who beat Powell in districts and they return him which I’m sure he’ll be Estill’s ace this season.

Estill will be right in the mix of things. Always are. Their biggest issue will be finding someone to replace Waddle at catcher and Forehand.

Hopefully it’s an injury free and exciting season.
Most teams aren't staff heavy with 3 big arms. Basically the draw will be huge come tournament time. Whoever can win a game by saving an arm, if possible has the best shot. Most of the top teams will have at least 2 arms capable of winning games. The second tier teams will have that one arm. Of course anyone can be knocked off when not expecting it, opening it up for someone else to win the region.

Powell
Wolfe
Breathitt
Letcher
Knott
Hazard
Estill
I’m going to have to disagree with powell being ranked 1. Powell is a decent defensive team but has very little offensive with the exception of Delrosario. Definitely capable of competing in some games but don’t see them having a shot at winning the region this year.
My take

Breathitt
Wolfe
Powell
Knott
Letcher

Heard rumors about Nickel not playing for Powell this season (maybe going to Estill). I feel he's probably 2nd best pitcher in the region. If that's true, drop Powell and add Estill.
(01-25-2024, 10:40 AM)catsrule Wrote: My take

Breathitt
Wolfe
Powell
Knott
Letcher

Heard rumors about Nickel not playing for Powell this season (maybe going to Estill).  I feel he's probably 2nd best pitcher in the region.  If that's true, drop Powell and add Estill.
 I don’t know why anyone would want to play on Powell’s field. Ha! Someone was drunk when they built that.

Breathitt
Wolfe
Powell
Knott
Letcher

Heard rumors about Nickel not playing for Powell this season (maybe going to Estill).  I feel he's probably 2nd best pitcher in the region.  If that's true, drop Powell and add Estill.
Nickell* is playing at Powell county this year.
(02-01-2024, 10:54 AM)kwnickell24 Wrote:

Breathitt
Wolfe
Powell
Knott
Letcher

Nickell* is playing at Powell county this year.
Love this post.
(01-25-2024, 12:10 AM)Bulldog717 Wrote:

Powell
Wolfe
Breathitt
Letcher
Knott
Hazard
Estill
I’m going to have to disagree with powell being ranked 1. Powell is a decent defensive team but has very little offensive with the exception of Delrosario. Definitely capable of competing in some games but don’t see them having a shot at winning the region this year.

Truthfully we don't know what Powell has for offense. If you look at khsaa for 2023 then you see that several changes should have happened throughout the season but they never did. Too much talent sat the bench over there in 2023.

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...ts_89341_0
(02-04-2024, 01:01 AM)williamsfan1930 Wrote:

Powell
Wolfe
Breathitt
Letcher
Knott
Hazard
Estill

Truthfully we don't know what Powell has for offense. If you look at khsaa for 2023 then you see that several changes should have happened throughout the season but they never did. Too much talent sat the bench over there in 2023.

Powell is a huge question mark. If they can throw strikes and learn to play some small ball then I think Powell could be as good as anyone.

I would like to know the type of schedule these teams are playing? That could be a deciding factor.
I see Breathitt County is running the gauntlet again schedule wise this season. Paid off for them last season. We ll see about this season. Loss of Combs will hurt but I think they have some young talent coming up. Gonna be another year where any 4-5 teams can take the region with the right draw.

Powell
Wolfe
Breathitt
Letcher
Knott
Hazard
Estill

What changes are you talking about?

Powell
Wolfe
Breathitt
Letcher
Knott
Hazard
Estill

You’re not wrong. If Powell cleans some things up they could easily be #2 behind of Breathitt.
(02-16-2024, 02:15 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: [quote pid="2442354" dateline="1707019308"]

[/quote]

So Powell had 10 players with any significant AB's in 2023. Thacker hit .221 but if you take out the games against weak teams... what is Thacker hitting? Also looking at the stats it does not look like Thacker had a hit in the first 6 games?!?!?! I know the freshman class over there was pretty big last season and you only have 10 players with opportunities to contribute the entire season?? 

Compare that with Estill. Who gave lots of players opportunities to contribute. Looks like they had 14 or 15 kids with opportunities.

Powell has a lot more talent and it is not being utlized.
(02-19-2024, 01:19 PM)williamsfan1930 Wrote:
(02-16-2024, 02:15 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: [quote pid="2442354" dateline="1707019308"]

So Powell had 10 players with any significant AB's in 2023. Thacker hit .221 but if you take out the games against weak teams... what is Thacker hitting? Also looking at the stats it does not look like Thacker had a hit in the first 6 games?!?!?! I know the freshman class over there was pretty big last season and you only have 10 players with opportunities to contribute the entire season?? 

Compare that with Estill. Who gave lots of players opportunities to contribute. Looks like they had 14 or 15 kids with opportunities.

[/quote]

Yep.
Hear Bellamy is touching 90 now. Be hard to hit especially with his curve being so good. Who else do they have to throw? Takes about 3 good arms to win the region along 3 that can throw strikes if needed.
(02-21-2024, 07:34 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Hear Bellamy is touching 90 now.  Be hard to hit especially with his curve being so good.  Who else do they have to throw?  Takes about 3 good arms to win the region along 3 that can throw strikes if needed.

breathitt has several kids they can develop on the mound. Howard being their best option probably if healthy
If he stays healthy Howard definitively has a ton of upside to his game and will help Breathitt if they're wanting to repeat.

[/quote]
I can definitely agree with this. To be honest I believe their JV team Vs the Varsity team would have been at least competitive. Lots of young talent there. I hear of a lot of negative rumblings out of there though. People always talking about transferring elsewhere or not playing at all anymore. Will be interesting to see if more kids will get opportunities this year. But with 2 dads on the coaching staff that have 3 kids that’s probably 3 spots that won’t be so flexible. Just the facts. Hard to set your assistant coaches kids if they aren’t playing well. Makes for an uncomfortable dugout.
(02-23-2024, 08:27 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:

I can definitely agree with this. To be honest I believe their JV team Vs the Varsity team would have been at least competitive. Lots of young talent there. I hear of a lot of negative rumblings out of there though. People always talking about transferring elsewhere or not playing at all anymore. Will be interesting to see if more kids will get opportunities this year. But with 2 dads on the coaching staff that have 3 kids that’s probably 3 spots that won’t be so flexible. Just the facts. Hard to set your assistant coaches kids if they aren’t playing well. Makes for an uncomfortable dugout.
[/quote]

(02-23-2024, 10:22 PM)Baseball247 Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 08:27 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:

[/quote]

Why don’t if those dads are causing problems and allowing their kids to play when shouldn’t be. someone should go to the head coach or to other school officials and get them removed. Shouldn’t be that hard to get them removed if they are in fact taking advantage of the situation. I’ve heard of both of those coaches. I know one has coached for years with the mid American prospect and the other has been associated with the little league and also coached for years. Both of those guys have coached kids from all over eastern ky and won at every level that they have coached. I believe if I had a kid in that program I would want answers. I’d be confronting the coaches in person and asking the tough questions and demanding answers from.
I think it’s a two horse race between Breathitt and Wolfe, but I could see Knott and Powell having something to say about that. Breathitt has to find a way to win when Bellamy isn’t on the bump or else I could see them falling. Same way with Letcher when the Williams kid isn’t pitching for them. After watching Wolfe last year knocking off Hazard and them being so young I gotta think Wolfe is probably the most talented team in the region but has to have some pitching step up.
How is Perry Central looking this year? I liked the Perkins kid a lot and know he is back for them. He’s only one I can remember right now.