Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Scrimmage updates
Let’s hear about some of the scrimmages and your thoughts about the teams
[-] The following 1 user Likes Coach00's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
Lawrence County hosted Martin County and Russell tonight.
And……
All teams took equal snaps between each other. LC ran all plays from shotgun and in spread formation quite different from old format. Also quarterback from last year not available due to health issues.Some good looking freshmen on this years squad!
All three teams were pretty physical. Russell looked to have several key starters out in this one but I thought all three teams got a lot of good reps in and got better. It was tough on all offense tonight there wasn’t a lot of scoring going on. I was impressed with what I saw out of MCHS I thought they played really well against two solid 3A teams. I think all three teams look to have pretty good seasons.
(08-06-2023, 12:18 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Lawrence County hosted Martin County and Russell tonight.
How did thing go tonight
Anybody got anything on the Lewis/Rowan/Estill scrimmage?
Lawrence was the better of the three teams there. Their athleticism showed itself on both sides of the ball. They didn’t give up a touchdown the entire time. The offense will be a work in progress, there are a lot of variables and people mixing in to get the best combination. The quarterbacks did well, both ran tough and threw some nice passes. They have some really good talent on the outside.
Anyone heard about JC and GRC
Paintsville or Prestonsburg

(08-06-2023, 10:56 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Lawrence was the better of the three teams there. Their athleticism showed itself on both sides of the ball. They didn’t give up a touchdown the entire time. The offense will be a work in progress, there are a lot of variables and people mixing in to get the best combination. The quarterbacks did well, both ran tough and threw some nice passes. They have some really good talent on the outside.
Dawgs should have a good season Martin Co should be the one seed come playoff time there be good The Devils after last season don’t know how many left or if they brought anyone new in
I think Lawrence will get better as the season goes on and their schedule allows for them to win some games and build confidence going towards district. I think Martin County will be fine, and Russell looked like they’re going to struggle again.
Lawrence looked good on defense last night.  Neither team really moved the ball on them.  Nice team speed and showed some skill and depth at D line that has been missing in years past.  Lawrence's offense is definitely a work in progress, but they've got some pieces.  I think they used a different O line combo in every 10 play series.  They're transitioning from a gap scheme to a zone scheme, and only have 2 kids that have played significant varsity minutes at O line, so it's going to take some time.  As another poster mentioned, the starting QB was in street clothes.  He'll make a huge difference.  Other skill guys will be fine.  They've got some upperclassmen who've played a ton of varsity football and some very good young players.  *If* they can gel at O line they've got a chance to be a decent football team.  

Martin was a little bit of a surprise.  They've got some good size and some good athletes in the backfield.  Look to be much improved from last year at this point.  

Russell did not look great.  If anything they have taken a step back from last year.  Could be a long year for the Devils.
That’s a great analysis. I thought the offense clicked more as the night went on for LC. It’s a big adjustment going from gap scheme to zone scheme but I think that’s why the offense they run suits them. They have a lot of weapons to use on the outside. I thought the quarterback play was good overall, I saw good things. I think when the starter comes back, they will improve much more.
No news on my Colonels?
(08-06-2023, 08:02 PM)pjdoug Wrote: No news on my Colonels?

Rumor is they cancelled their scrimmage.
Who all was at the Rowan County scrimmage? Any details?