Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Michael Porter playing??????
I think something everyone needs to remember is Gillespie said when he first started practices that he will decide whom starts based on who practices harder. Porter is in that starting 5 because he evidentlly works harder off the court than the "D-1" prodigal sons. When you reward a player who works harder rather that start a player that **** Vital tells you to start. Then you'll probably get a better work ethic out of every player who wants to wear that University of Kentucky jersey.
Good point. A concern: word is that Gillispie is verbally abusive to players, going so far as to belittle them. John Wooden didn't need that. I don't think today's athletes think they have to put up with that.
John Wooden had Lew Alcindor(aka Kareem Abdul-Jabar), Bill Walton, and a host of other outstanding basketball players so it wasn't necessary. BCG has no terrific players on the team outside of Patterson. He has to give his players a hard time and push them to get better to make up for what they don't have in raw talent. Most kids in high school get it from their coach and they are playing for fun. These guys are representing the University, have a free education, and BCG's job is on the line. You don't mess with a man's profession. The current players other than the freshmen had it easy the past few years under Tubby. Coach G is demanding and a perfectionist, he will work their hides until they are perfect.
John Wooden coached at UCLA (I think) eight or ten years before he won his first championship in 1964. He didn't verbally abuse players as a matter of principle. It had nothing to do with level of talent.
THANK YOU!!!
whoever started this thread is exactly right
he has played like crap every game that i have watched, listened to, or seen the box score of!
get him out of the game
[INDENT]
FBALL Wrote:Because he plays hard and makes better decisions at the point than either (Mr. 1 on 5) Bradley or Crawford. Both of whom do more to disrupt the UK offense than anybody else.
Yea but crawford and bradley do score..porter just turns the ball over....im not a fan at all of this guy...
[/INDENT]
Watchful Eye Wrote:I think something everyone needs to remember is Gillespie said when he first started practices that he will decide whom starts based on who practices harder. Porter is in that starting 5 because he evidentlly works harder off the court than the "D-1" prodigal sons. When you reward a player who works harder rather that start a player that **** Vital tells you to start. Then you'll probably get a better work ethic out of every player who wants to wear that University of Kentucky jersey.

thats all fine and good until the kid who hustles can't even get the ball past half court against the press..
FoOtBaLl FrEaK 8-0 Wrote:THANK YOU!!!
whoever started this thread is exactly right
he has played like crap every game that i have watched, listened to, or seen the box score of!
get him out of the game

THANK YOU!!! im just so glad im not the only one who sees it..
LIPS Wrote:[INDENT]Yea but crawford and bradley do score..porter just turns the ball over....im not a fan at all of this guy...[/INDENT]

the difference between Crawford, Bradley, and Porter is Crawford and Bradley would start on the majority of every d-1 school, now remember i said majority....and the reality is that Porter would not even make the majority of d-1 schools team
Michael Porter makes an ok backup point guard, but if he's your starter you're in deep trouble. The kid is not a bad shooter and he hustles as much as anybody, but he just can't hang onto the ball. Whenever he is being guarded by a guy with quick hands, it's almost as if you can see the turnover coming a mile away. Still, I like him on the team, just NOT as a starter.

Side note, how come no one is asking why Ramon Harris is on the team? He has been thoroughly unimpressive ever since Tubby brought him in at mid-season last year.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[quote=More Cowbell]Michael Porter makes an ok backup point guard, but if he's your starter you're in deep trouble. The kid is not a bad shooter and he hustles as much as anybody, but he just can't hang onto the ball. Whenever he is being guarded by a guy with quick hands, it's almost as if you can see the turnover coming a mile away. Still, I like him on the team, just NOT as a starter.

Side note, how come no one is asking why Ramon Harris is on the team? He has been thoroughly unimpressive ever since Tubby brought him in at mid-season last year.[/quote]

the reason being is harris doesnt control the flow of the game...the point guard position is the most important on the court, just like a quarterback or a shortstop would be...A good D-1 point guard should be able to get up and down the floor smooth, set offenses, control the pace, and score when needed to...out of all those things Porter can't do any of them...i dont know about everyone else but i hold my breathe everytime he touches the ball..
People that say that working hard in practice and all that bull will earn you a starting job is crazy. Its practice, it doesnt mean a dang thing. Anybody can play hard in practice, it doesnt mean it will happen in a real game. Thats all Porter, Harris, and Coury need to be, practice players and roster fillers. Bottomline is coach knows squat when it comes to who should be on the court and at what times they should be out there. He is totally clueless.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:People that say that working hard in practice and all that bull will earn you a starting job is crazy. Its practice, it doesnt mean a dang thing. Anybody can play hard in practice, it doesnt mean it will happen in a real game. Thats all Porter, Harris, and Coury need to be, practice players and roster fillers. Bottomline is coach knows squat when it comes to who should be on the court and at what times they should be out there. He is totally clueless.

i wouldn't say he's totally clueless but i do agree with you...when i was in high school when had 2 special education students who practice with us sometimes and they tried really hard, but they weren't tipping it off on friday nights starting lineup though...Smile
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:People that say that working hard in practice and all that bull will earn you a starting job is crazy. Its practice, it doesnt mean a dang thing. Anybody can play hard in practice, it doesnt mean it will happen in a real game. Thats all Porter, Harris, and Coury need to be, practice players and roster fillers. Bottomline is coach knows squat when it comes to who should be on the court and at what times they should be out there. He is totally clueless.
Preach on AI. "Are we talkin bout practice? ... practice..."Rolleyes
Ok Coach KRolleyes
Thanks for the compliment RavenBoy, Coach K is a coach that knows what he is doing. He could out coach this ******* we have any day of the week.
Okay. Regarding Porter... He may not have the talent to that UK needs on the team but he gives them 110% when he plays. I know how frustrating it can be to see him make so many mistakes as a ball handler but he really goes out there and works his tail off to the best of his abilities. I will say that it is the best opinion to have him as the second ball handler but he must work his butt off for BCG to put so much faith in him. Of course when Liggins comes in next year he will slide to just being a shooter.
bigE Wrote:the reason being is harris doesnt control the flow of the game...the point guard position is the most important on the court, just like a quarterback or a shortstop would be...A good D-1 point guard should be able to get up and down the floor smooth, set offenses, control the pace, and score when needed to...out of all those things Porter can't do any of them...i dont know about everyone else but i hold my breathe everytime he touches the ball..

Okay, I'll buy that Porter can affect a game more than Harris, by virtue of his playing point guard. And if you read my post I agreed with you about Porter's atrocious ballhandling skills.

But that still doesn't absolve Harris of being a waste of a scholarship, either. If Porter goes, Harris should be right behind him. He contributes NOTHING to this team.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Michael Porter is the worst major D1 player I've ever seen that gets the playing time he gets. Did you see the give and go pass he recieved yesterday? He had a wide open lay up and shot the ball completely over the basket... He's pathetic! There's no other way of putting it.
Survivor Wrote:Michael Porter is the worst major D1 player I've ever seen that gets the playing time he gets. Did you see the give and go pass he recieved yesterday? He had a wide open lay up and shot the ball completely over the basket... He's pathetic! There's no other way of putting it.

Yeah, I remember that play. I thought we had a sure two, and somehow he throws the ball completely over the goal. All I could do was shake my head...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Thanks for the compliment RavenBoy, Coach K is a coach that knows what he is doing. He could out coach this ******* we have any day of the week.

dude, you are clueless about the game of basketball
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Okay. Regarding Porter... He may not have the talent to that UK needs on the team but he gives them 110% when he plays. I know how frustrating it can be to see him make so many mistakes as a ball handler but he really goes out there and works his tail off to the best of his abilities. I will say that it is the best opinion to have him as the second ball handler but he must work his butt off for BCG to put so much faith in him. Of course when Liggins comes in next year he will slide to just being a shooter.

the fact that billy g. does put faith in him should raise red flags all over the place, he definetely is no Billy D.