Poll: Who wins? Frederick Douglass vs. Bryan Station
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Frederick Douglass
77.78%
Bryan Station
22.22%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frederick Douglass at Bryan Station 10/14
Well, this is the one that everyone on the northside of Lexington has been looking forward to since the schedules were set early this year. For several reasons:    1) This is a huge district game and will be for the district championship. 2)This probably the best chance any school in Lexington public or private has had to try and end the Douglass winning streak now at 30 straight over all public and private schools in Lexington since the game vs. Lexington Christian Academy in 2020.  3) The winner of this should also help their RPI numbers as for the Defenders this is their last chance as they have left after this Madison Cent. and Central Hardin. The Broncos do have a big game at the end of Oct. vs. Boyle Co.

Bryan Station (4-2) who are coming off an easy 51-6 district win over GRC. The Defenders have won their last 4 games in a row including two impressive wins away from home over Bowling Green at LCA and Ballard on the road. This will be the 6th meeting in the series. The first 3 years before Coach Hawkins became the Defenders coach beginning with the 2020 season. The first 3 years (2017, 2018, & 2019) the Broncos won those 3 games by a total of 116-6. In 2020 the Covid season they did not play as none of the Lexington schools other than LCA played Douglass that season. This will be the 3rd time they played with Coach Hawkins and Coach McPeek at their respective helms. The last time the game was played at Bryan Station it was a game that at halftime could have gone either way. The Defenders had some key turnovers in the 2nd half and Douglass pulled away and won 27-14 but it was closer than the final score would have indicated. Last season's game at "The Farm" was all Douglass 52-7.
Frederick Douglass (3-3) is also coming off an easy 44-7 district win over Madison Cent. The Broncos have made a major upgrade to their schedule this year since they had a lot more freedom in their schedule now. They have 3 losses against Archbishop Hoban out of Ohio who is currently 7-0 and now ranked #32 nationally and now the #1 ranked team in all classes in Ohio according to MaxPreps. Cathedral out of Indianapolis they are 6-2 and ranked #5 in Indiana their two losses have been to the #2 and #4 ranked teams in Indiana. Their other loss was a 6-0 loss on the road to 7-0 Corbin one of the top 3 teams in 4A. The Broncos 3 wins have been an impressive 17-14 win on the road at Trinity where they led 17-0 until late in the 3rd quarter before the Shamrocks scored the last 14 for the final score. There other two wins were expected blowout over Tates Creek and Madison Central.

Frederick Douglass and Bryan Station do have two common opponents so far this season in Trinity and Tates Creek. The Defenders lost on the road to began the season at Trinity 36-3 and they defeated Tates Creek on the road 41-0. The Broncos defeated Trinity as stated above 17-14 in week two of the season and they defeated Tates Creek at home 43-0.
When Douglass last played at Station to begin the 2021 season the stadium was as packed as I have seen a game between two Lexington schools in the last 20 years. The FCPS because of this and I think as a safety issue have stepped in and made this game to be played on Saturday at 12:00 noon. This should be a great game to watch. The Broncos offense is starting to look a little more in sync each week as sophomore QB Jaxon Strautman got thrust into the starting role at Hoban and he has gradually improved each week. I think the Bronco defense is just a little better than the Defenders defense, but we will see. I know a lot of Lexington will be rooting on the defenders to stop the streak.

The game is on Gilcod as their game of the week and will also be on the NFHS Network as well. Good luck to both teams! I for one am looking forward to this one.
(10-07-2023, 02:03 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Well, this is the one that everyone on the northside of Lexington has been looking forward to since the schedules were set early this year. For several reasons:    1) This is a huge district game and will be for the district championship. 2)This probably the best chance any school in Lexington public or private has had to try and end the Douglass winning streak now at 30 straight over all public and private schools in Lexington since the game vs. Lexington Christian Academy in 2020.  3) The winner of this should also help their RPI numbers as for the Defenders this is their last chance as they have left after this Madison Cent. and Central Hardin. The Broncos do have a big game at the end of Oct. vs. Boyle Co.

Bryan Station (4-2) who are coming off an easy 51-6 district win over GRC. The Defenders have won their last 4 games in a row including two impressive wins away from home over Bowling Green at LCA and Ballard on the road. This will be the 6th meeting in the series. The first 3 years before Coach Hawkins became the Defenders coach beginning with the 2020 season. The first 3 years (2017, 2018, & 2019) the Broncos won those 3 games by a total of 116-6. In 2020 the Covid season they did not play as none of the Lexington schools other than LCA played Douglass that season. This will be the 3rd time they played with Coach Hawkins and Coach McPeek at their respective helms. The last time the game was played at Bryan Station it was a game that at halftime could have gone either way. The Defenders had some key turnovers in the 2nd half and Douglass pulled away and won 27-14 but it was closer than the final score would have indicated. Last season's game at "The Farm" was all Douglass 52-7.
Frederick Douglass (3-3) is also coming off an easy 44-7 district win over Madison Cent. The Broncos have made a major upgrade to their schedule this year since they had a lot more freedom in their schedule now. They have 3 losses against Archbishop Hoban out of Ohio who is currently 7-0 and now ranked #32 nationally and now the #1 ranked team in all classes in Ohio according to MaxPreps. Cathedral out of Indianapolis they are 6-2 and ranked #5 in Indiana their two losses have been to the #2 and #4 ranked teams in Indiana. Their other loss was a 6-0 loss on the road to 7-0 Corbin one of the top 3 teams in 4A. The Broncos 3 wins have been an impressive 17-14 win on the road at Trinity where they led 17-0 until late in the 3rd quarter before the Shamrocks scored the last 14 for the final score. There other two wins were expected blowout over Tates Creek and Madison Central.

Frederick Douglass and Bryan Station do have two common opponents so far this season in Trinity and Tates Creek. The Defenders lost on the road to began the season at Trinity 36-3 and they defeated Tates Creek on the road 41-0. The Broncos defeated Trinity as stated above 17-14 in week two of the season and they defeated Tates Creek at home 43-0.
When Douglass last played at Station to begin the 2021 season the stadium was as packed as I have seen a game between two Lexington schools in the last 20 years. The FCPS because of this and I think as a safety issue have stepped in and made this game to be played on Saturday at 12:00 noon. This should be a great game to watch. The Broncos offense is starting to look a little more in sync each week as sophomore QB Jaxon Strautman got thrust into the starting role at Hoban and he has gradually improved each week. I think the Bronco defense is just a little better than the Defenders defense, but we will see. I know a lot of Lexington will be rooting on the defenders to stop the streak.

The game is on Gilcod as their game of the week and will also be on the NFHS Network as well. Good luck to both teams! I for one am looking forward to this one.
Please do tell us why this game is being played on Saturday mid- day? LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cafe Mocha's post:
  • Westside
FCPS feels like they can better control the crowd for this game during the daylight. The crowds have been enormous for this game the last two seasons. I am assuming they also think playing at 12:00pm will curb some of that.
(10-07-2023, 08:11 AM)Cafe Mocha Wrote:
(10-07-2023, 02:03 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Well, this is the one that everyone on the northside of Lexington has been looking forward to since the schedules were set early this year. For several reasons:    1) This is a huge district game and will be for the district championship. 2)This probably the best chance any school in Lexington public or private has had to try and end the Douglass winning streak now at 30 straight over all public and private schools in Lexington since the game vs. Lexington Christian Academy in 2020.  3) The winner of this should also help their RPI numbers as for the Defenders this is their last chance as they have left after this Madison Cent. and Central Hardin. The Broncos do have a big game at the end of Oct. vs. Boyle Co.

Please do tell us why this game is being played on Saturday mid- day? LOL

I thought I gave the reason why in the last full paragraph. It is a safety issue and FCPS thinks it would be better for everyone to be played during the day.
(10-07-2023, 11:53 AM)coach4life Wrote: FCPS feels like they can better control the crowd for this game during the daylight. The crowds have been enormous for this game the last two seasons. I am assuming they also think playing at 12:00pm will curb some of that.
Good luck coach your team is on fire right now
(10-07-2023, 11:53 AM)coach4life Wrote: FCPS feels like they can better control the crowd for this game during the daylight. The crowds have been enormous for this game the last two seasons. I am assuming they also think playing at 12:00pm will curb some of that.

It could possibly add to the attendance. Those commented to watching their teams on Friday night are now available. Should be a great atmosphere!! Good luck to both teams. Thanks to Glicod, I'll be watching this one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
*committed
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • Granny Bear
Is the original QB, the EKU commit, still on the FD team?
(10-09-2023, 09:16 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Is the original QB, the EKU commit, still on the FD team?

Yes he was injured in the St. X scrimmage and had to have elbow surgery about 2-3 weeks ago.
FD 31
BS 17
(10-09-2023, 10:30 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 09:16 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Is the original QB, the EKU commit,  still on the FD team?

Yes he was injured in the St. X scrimmage and had to have elbow surgery about 2-3 weeks ago.
Is he done for the season or will he be back in time for the Boyle game?  I love Douglass but I don't know if they will win that one  if he's still out, unless the other QB has improved A LOT.
FCPS has implemented a 6:30 kick off for city vs city schools to curb late endings to games. And recently implemented NO students (middle school age) are not allowed in the game without a parent or guardian, and a school ID is required for high school age kids. By the way I applaud the new changes. Lexington area schools has had numerous extracurricular activities on sporting events, thus prompting some changes.
Thanks to Glicod, I'll be watching this game on Saturday afternoon.

It's around this time of year the Defenders come alive. Offense will likely be down here, and Station has had this game circled for a while now. I love how Douglass has come out the gate with success but really admire the grit Station showed last season. Does Station have the line play to compete up front?

Douglass - 20
Station - 24

Station with a big turnover to take the win late
(10-10-2023, 11:17 AM)Runnin' Clock Wrote: Thanks to Glicod, I'll be watching this game on Saturday afternoon.

It's around this time of year the Defenders come alive. Offense will likely be down here, and Station has had this game circled for a while now. I love how Douglass has come out the gate with success but really admire the grit Station showed last season. Does Station have the line play to compete up front?

Douglass - 20
Station - 24

Station with a big turnover to take the win late
Station will not score much, if at all imo. Offense is just to simple compared to the teams Douglas has been playing. Douglas offense is not great either.  Douglas 28  Station 7.
(10-10-2023, 12:16 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 10:30 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 09:16 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Is the original QB, the EKU commit,  still on the FD team?

Is he done for the season or will he be back in time for the Boyle game?  I love Douglass but I don't know if they will win that one  if he's still out, unless the other QB has improved A LOT.

I don't think he will be any the rest of this season.
Reminder to everyone if you are not busy this game kicks off in just over 30 minutes at 12:00pm. The game is on the NFHS Network and Gilcod.

this is the link for the game on Gilcod.
GO DOUGLASS!!!
Douglass on their first possession score on a 41 yard screen pass to lead 7-0. Station went 3 and out on their first possession.

Douglass has picked up 3 first downs on their 2nd possession and are moving the ball well.

Station's promising drive stalls with a sack and a holding penalty and then a strip sack by the defense and Douglass takes over.

Two flags on Station on a big 3rd and 10. Looks like a roughing the passer and pass interference as well.

Douglass comes back an on the next play gets an offensive facemask. It is now 3rd and 26.
Between douglass and station there is so much talent on that field
[-] The following 1 user Likes Advicegiver74's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
Cooper Ranvier missed a 48 yard FG attempt by only about a yard. He is a great kicker and their top wide-receiver. I'm not sure what is going to happen he is one of the best Bronco soccer players and they are scheduled to play in the 11th region soccer championship game at Madison Southern vs. Lafayette at 2:00pm today.

Bryan Station on 65 yard run by Cartwright for a touchdown but was called back by a block in the back.

Cutwright on a big 3rd and 10 scrambles and picks up the first down in the Douglass redzone.

There is now a clock problem so the time will be kept on the field by the officials now I guess.

On a 4th and 1 Douglass gets an offsides penalty for a first and goal.

Station gets a 6 yard touchdown pass on the next play to tie it at 7.

Douglass has to punt after picking up one first down.

Station has to punt as well after picking up one first down.

Douglass picks up 66 and a player from Station makes an important tackle to stop a touchdown.

Douglass has a 92 yard drive capped off on a 22 yard pass from Strautman to Chenualt for a touchdown and Douglass now leads 14-7 late in the 2nd quarter.

Halftime 14-7 Douglass leads and they will get the ball to start the 2nd half.

It looks like by looking at the crowd in the stands that FCPS moving this game until noon today has cost Bryan Station a good amount of money.
[-] The following 2 users Like 16BBall Fan's post:
  • 64SUR, Westside
This could be big as the Broncos great kicker Cooper Ranvier has to leave to go to the 11th region soccer championship. He is also their punter and the leading wide-receiver. This is a big loss for the Broncos due to this game being moved until today!

The passing game from Station is getting into a good rhythm. Douglass needs to have a LB spying on Cutwright.

The Bronco defense gets a turnover on downs and will take over on their own 27 yard line.

Douglass needs a touchdown especially with their kicker gone to the soccer game!

Touchdown Douglass on QB keeper by Strautman! New kicker extra point is blocked to make it 20-7 Douglass. I would have went for two if it was me.

Big drive here for the Defenders.

The Defenders with two big plays to begin this drive and already into the redzone.

Touchdown Station they ran it looked like the same play 4 straight times. Douglass now leads 20-14. That missed extra point by the backup kicker could be huge.

A offsides on the kickoff into the endzone by Station caused a rekick and Douglass got a big return to the Station 40 yard line.
Station is better than the last time I saw them but they’re just not big enough to stop teams from running the ball when they need it I’m afraid
A big 4th down here on 4th and a foot from the Station 41 yard line to start the 4th quarter.

Broncos do pickup the first down.

A good run by Talbert for 12 and into the redzone.

ouchdown by Talbert a 11 yard run for the Broncos. The two point conversion is good but a holding call on the Broncos. That could be big!

The Broncos pick up the two point conversion from the 12 yard line to make it now 28-14 Douglass with 10:03 to play.

A big sack by the Broncos defense on a 3rd and 4. Station to punt.

Talbert is having one heck of a game! he just ran a punt back 55 yards he ran about 80 yards to get the touchdown to make now 34-14 and the yard going for 2. The two point conversion is no good. There is now 7:43 to play.

Not sure which Talbert that is if it is Dakari or brother Darion. Dakari is a freshman and Darion is only a junior.

Bryan Station picks up the first down, but it looks like Cutwright might be injured I hope he is okay.
Get ' em Broncs!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
After a gutsy run by Cartwright into Bronco territory, on the next play they fumble and its recovered by the Broncos. That could do it.

Douglass takes over on downs with 2:33 to play at the Douglass 48 yard line. Douglass leads 34-14.
Thanks for the game link, 16BB Fan. Good win , Broncos!!! Keep it going!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • 16BBall Fan