Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Division
Somebody with more knowledge than me, please explain to me how LCA was put in the WEST of the playoffs?

(10-26-2023, 05:44 PM)rookie57 Wrote: Somebody with more knowledge than me, please explain to me how LCA was put in the WEST of the playoffs?
I read or heard somewhere that no other Lexington school is in the west in any other class, I don’t know if that’s true, but I can’t see how ANY Lexington team can justifiably be put in the west.
Well heck, 33 views and no response, either no one else knows or just don’t like 2A!
They were in the west in last years playoff as well.
(10-26-2023, 07:29 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: They were in the west in last years playoff as well.
Not my point, why are they in the west?
(10-26-2023, 08:07 PM)rookie57 Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 07:29 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: They were in the west in last years playoff as well.

I’d assume because of how the districts were drawn up with trying to keep things even and balanced in the state in terms of location.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FootballFan1999's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
(10-21-2023, 01:39 AM)Westside Wrote: Poor Henry Clay.

It also looked to me like the teams listed the last two years even though they are in Lexington they are further towards the west than any other teams in the east side. I'd say it just how the teams in 2A are geographically.
(10-26-2023, 08:31 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote:
(10-21-2023, 01:39 AM)Westside Wrote: Poor Henry Clay.

It also looked to me like the teams listed the last two years even though they are in Lexington they are further towards the west than any other teams in the east side. I'd say it just how the teams in 2A are geographically.
Thanks for the feedback, but I still can’t fathom the reasoning for ANY team in Lexington to be in the west
I don’t know how you’d find it. But I read a document by the KHsaa when the were re doing districts and classes. It had every teams district, miles between them, average miles traveled and some other useful Info. It also had appeals for teams who did and pretty much what they said, and a brief explanation if they were denied or approved regarding if they wanted to play up or down, or change districts. Most that I read who appealed their districts were driving distance and would show if they moved from district “A” to district “C” their avg miles would be such and such.

So my thinking is if no one LCA appealed it, then it was just par. As someone already mentioned they are the furthest team closest to the west and it was probably less mileage for them than possibly another team a little further East or south. At one point Corbin was in a district with Casey co, Taylor co, and someone else. Further back than that, they had greenup co in their district.

But that document was a pu luv document so if you tried hard enough it should still be viewable. Good luck
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • rookie57
From what I can see when looking at the districts, KHSAA had to either pick LCA or Danville to be in the west to balance out the districts. LCA’s driving distance to the teams in their district is shorter than what it would be for Danville. Therefore LCA got picked to go West. Their district does them no favors as far as preparing them for the playoffs, but their non-district schedule sure does.
Yea well, that’s kinda like saying Bowling Green is closer to the east than all the other teams in the west so let’s move Bowling Green to the East. Just don’t make sense.
This really isn't that complicated. Four districts go east, four districts go west. The vast majority of 2A schools are in the east, so somebody that's geographically in eastern or central Kentucky is going to have to part of the 4th district for the numbers to work. LCA makes the most geographic sense, so they go that way.

Not all that unusual. Beechwood has gone west in a number of scenarios over the years and I believe Corbin has even been a "western team" in past alignments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dodger's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
KHSAA gerrymandering.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • rookie57
To answer the question...

Because that Northern KY district screws everything up.

District 5 (The NKY District) is the only 2A District that does not have 4 teams. it has six.

There are more teams further away from the West in 2A than they are teams who are closer.

There are only two scenarios where LCA would not technically be the most geographically acceptable solution to the issue.

Option 1: Flip LCA and Somerset. Somerset is technically a few miles west of Lexington, but they are a closer fit for this district comprised of teams fairly spread out from each other... LCA probably technically is closer to Breathitt and Danville, but the trade off is Somerset would be much further for the teams currently in District 4, especially Louisville.

Option 2: IMHO, the only real logical alternative... and once again blame NKY to District 7 teams for screwing it up. Personally if I was constructing this based off geography I would have moved LCA in to District 6 and moved Breathitt to District 7 to make a 5-team District. In place of LCA I would have moved Carroll County to the West into District 4. Carroll County is on an interstate and has quick access to Shawnee and Fort Knox as such and Washington County isnt a terrible hike. You could send Owen County as well to create a 5 team district so there would be an even 17 teams on each side of the Semi-State.

The drawback with this scenario? Well competition... District 4 would be composed of a bunch of teams lacking shall we say a "late November pedigree". District 3 already was one of these Districts as it stands, so basically with the playoff structure you guarantee two teams to advance to the 3rd Round who in most alignments would not be expected pass the 2nd Round.

I probably would have done it this way regardless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest
(10-27-2023, 01:18 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: To answer the question...

District 5 (The NKY District) is the only 2A District that does not have 4 teams. it has six.

There are more teams further away from the West in 2A than they are teams who are closer.

There are only two scenarios where LCA would not technically be the most geographically acceptable solution to the issue.

Option 1: Flip LCA and Somerset. Somerset is technically a few miles west of Lexington, but they are a closer fit for this district comprised of teams fairly spread out from each other... LCA probably technically is closer to Breathitt and Danville, but the trade off is Somerset would be much further for the teams currently in District 4, especially Louisville.

Option 2: IMHO, the only real logical alternative... and once again blame NKY to District 7  teams for screwing it up. Personally if I was constructing this based off geography I would have moved LCA in to District 6 and moved Breathitt to District 7 to make a 5-team District. In place of LCA I would have moved Carroll County to the West into District 4. Carroll County is on an interstate and has quick access to Shawnee and Fort Knox as such and Washington County isnt a terrible hike. You could send Owen County as well to create a 5 team district so there would be an even 17 teams on each side of the Semi-State.

The drawback with this scenario? Well competition... District 4 would be composed of a bunch of teams lacking shall we say a "late November pedigree". District 3 already was one of these Districts as it stands, so basically with the playoff structure you guarantee two teams to advance to the 3rd Round who in most alignments would not be expected pass the 2nd Round.

top response right here
What's crazy is Leslie And Breathitt are cross districted with Beechwoods District! That's nuts. So, for the first round of the playoffs, Leslie will be travelling to Carroll Co. for first round of the playoffs.

Option 2: IMHO, the only real logical alternative... and once again blame NKY to District 7  teams for screwing it up. Personally if I was constructing this based off geography I would have moved LCA in to District 6 and moved Breathitt to District 7 to make a 5-team District. In place of LCA I would have moved Carroll County to the West into District 4. Carroll County is on an interstate and has quick access to Shawnee and Fort Knox as such and Washington County isnt a terrible hike. You could send Owen County as well to create a 5 team district so there would be an even 17 teams on each side of the Semi-State.

There's the historical aspect of it as well. Traditionally, aside from when they were in separate classes, Somerset and Danville have been in the same district. 

LCA, Somerset, and Danville are all kind of in the perfect area to where they can send them East or West based on the alignment needs. They've all been in the East, and all been in the West over the last 10 years.
...because 6 separate classes for a state with only 223 football programs is a ridiculously illogical stretch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gitback Coach's post:
  • Diogenes
(10-27-2023, 02:06 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:

top response right here

My response tops it: KHSAA SUCKS DONKEY DONGS !!!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • rookie57
Y’all still ain’t convinced me that there’s logic in this