Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tyquan Rice COY IN ALL CLASSES
I have never met the man.  I wouldn’t know him if I saw him; BUT- the complete turnaround and restoration of the Greyhound program… I do respect!

So, he is worthy of the honor in my opinion.

Thoughts on other worthy candidates??
Is it the coaching or the talent responsible for the turn around? Seems to me if your coaching was that good you wouldn’t have to waste all 6 timeouts in the 9th game of the season to get personnel on to the field. The talent is there. The discipline is non existent.
I may be biased but I think Chris Larkey is worthy of COY contender. In just his second year at Rock he has put us on the map in one of the toughest districts in 3A football. To possibly finish 9-1 in year two with wins on the road at Log Mountain against Bell County and to go on the road at Knox Central to win district out right via a running clock again on the road is as impressive as anything. Preseason Rock was picked to finish 4th place in the district. Now here we sit going into the last week of regular season and have wrapped up 1st place in the district and may be hosting the playoffs from now until state semi finals if Bell gets beat which means home until at the least 3rd round or until we are eliminated. That is a great place to be this time of the year! We need not to forget year one under Larkey was less than ideal as he finished 4-7 and lost 33-0 to Mason County in a 1st round exit. 3A district 7 is a tough district to win. For Bell and Rock to be considered one of the top teams in the East add a physical Clay county who should finish 7-3 and Knox Central who will be 5-5 or 6-4 at the end of the season. All teams with potential to be even or have winning records yet Rock went right through each of them.

As if that’s not good enough argument let me remind you just what Chris inherited by taking over the coaching job at Rock. In 14 year span prior to the arrival of Chris back to the Rock. Rock had only won 2 district titles and had 2 seasons where they won at least 9 games. That was 2011 Rock went 9-3 and then in 2016 Rock was 10-2. Those are the best seasons Rock has seen since Tom Larkey moved on from Rock. The previous coach went a combined 83 wins an 76 losses. Rock was eliminated in the first round 6 years and then eliminated in the 2nd round 7 different years in that time frame.
5A Atherton's coach Anthony White. 1st district championship in school history and sits at 8-1

3A Hart County's coach Chad Griffin. 1st district championship in school history and sits at 9-0

These are just two that I can think of off the top of my head who should at least be in the conversation for the class they represent.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rip/Spin's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Gitback Coach, Nations Elite
I give Paris HC credit. He has done a solid job. But it’s Ransom and company responsible for the turnaround. You had a bunch of kids buy into playing for each other. Paris was the most disorganized and undisciplined tram I’ve seen in some time. All timeouts were used for personnel issues. That’s on the staff.
I haven’t seen them, Paris, in person. I just know how abysmal the program had been just a few years ago.

Larkey good candidate. Also, Jarrell at Betsy Layne.

I think Paris has a win over Rock and a win over 5A, Montgomery.
(10-22-2023, 09:55 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: Is it the coaching or the talent responsible for the turn around? Seems to me if your coaching was that good you wouldn’t have to waste all 6 timeouts in the 9th game of the season to get personnel on to the field. The talent is there. The discipline is non existent.

Isn't that part of coaching?
Sizemore Jackson county
[-] The following 1 user Likes Advicegiver74's post:
  • Gitback Coach
Chad Griffin at Hart County is a good call. I don’t want to discredit any program that has turned it around from a record standpoint but if your school went 10-0 and your opponents were not good, I’d have to wonder if they’re COY year worthy or not.

There’s a lot of things at play and one of those is strength of schedule. For me. But I don’t get a vote.
We ALL get a vote here, Danger Mouse!! LOL
Probably like beating a dead horse, but I’d give my vote to the one and only Sir Justin Haddix. Yea there’s talent there. But there’s talent in a lot of places that don’t produce what he’s done. Honestly I absolutely love the guys offense. Again I think a lot of people just look and see some stars and think it’s just hand it off here or throw it there. Not the case. If you look at his stint at boyle, at Corbin, he is so versatile in what he comes up with. He can design it quick and hit you with a shock and awe offense, or slow it down and control the clock, all without the offense looking out of sync. People can think what they want, I still think top to bottom Corbin’s team was more talented last year, he was the X factor. He gets his kids to play at their fullest, they have fun, and they get to the next level. When you do all of those and back it up with wins…. That’s a COY. Larkey did good, but I wouldn’t say it’s the toughest district in 3A with bell clay and Knox. Bells good. But after that…. Betsy lane did sometbing I think might be a school record there? Not sure.. and they should be absolutely proud of that. Congrats to them!! But when they played a decent team, it fell apart. Some of the teams out west not familiar with. Maybe PTs coach? Don’t know his bio??? LCAs coach has did very well this year. But it was never one that would just give out something to someone else just because a certain person has won it multiple times or the last year, etc. To me that’s a participation trophy and it devalues the prestige that comes with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Bull got out!
All very good points. For me, I look at a COY award as what you did THIS year to advance your team or program. So, for example; at a school like Betsy Layne- you have to start with winning the ones you’re supposed to and maybe grabbing an upset or two.

Coaches that lead successful programs do sometimes get the shaft due to my type of thinking. HAHAHAHA
I agree ROTC. With both points. Coaches who are always playing for deep playoff runs, titles, etc are often over looked or glorified bc of what they do in year in and year out. I just had to go off of what I saw out of the Paris staff and burning all 3 time outs each half on personnel and avoiding delay of games is on the staff and doesn’t really give the best argument for COY looks, imo.
If you're going to consider Rice at Paris, you have to consider Jarredd Jarrell at Betsy Layne.  The Bobcats had won 7 games in 6 years before his hiring. Since he took over, Betsy Layne has won 21 games in less than 3 complete seasons.   Hopefully, he adds more this season.  Still you have to consider some of the blue blood coaches like a Haddix or a McNamee.
[-] The following 2 users Like Westside's post:
  • Bull got out!, ROTC
So true so true; but the Haddix’s and McNamee’s get the trophy that counts!!
(10-24-2023, 05:18 AM)Westside Wrote: If you're going to consider Rice at Paris, you have to consider Jarredd Jarrell at Betsy Layne.  The Bobcats had won 7 games in 6 years before his hiring. Since he took over, Betsy Layne has won 21 games in less than 3 complete seasons.   Hopefully, he adds more this season.  Still you have to consider some of the blue blood coaches like a Haddix or a McNamee.
Is that good coaching or good scheduling?
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAM-A-DEVIL's post:
  • DangerMouse
(10-24-2023, 08:29 AM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:
(10-24-2023, 05:18 AM)Westside Wrote: If you're going to consider Rice at Paris, you have to consider Jarredd Jarrell at Betsy Layne.  The Bobcats had won 7 games in 6 years before his hiring. Since he took over, Betsy Layne has won 21 games in less than 3 complete seasons.   Hopefully, he adds more this season.  Still you have to consider some of the blue blood coaches like a Haddix or a McNamee.
Is that good coaching or good scheduling?

Not saying it is 100% the case, but Betsy Layne was arguably playing an easier schedule in those 6 seasons prior to Jarrell taking over than they are now. Easy schedule or not that program has turned around in a big way. Same for Paris, there is no hiding it. But as someone else in the comments said you have to look at Haddix and McNamee, they bring home the big ones on Kroger Field each year. Going to be an interesting COY race this year!
How many of them have a bunch of 5th year players or have assembled an all star team from other local schools?  Is this only a Kentucky thing?
(10-23-2023, 10:30 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Probably like beating a dead horse, but I’d give my vote to the one and only Sir Justin Haddix. Yea there’s talent there. But there’s talent in a lot of places that don’t produce what he’s done. Honestly I absolutely love the guys offense. Again I think a lot of people just look and see some stars and think it’s just hand it off here or throw it there. Not the case. If you look at his stint at boyle, at Corbin, he is so versatile in what he comes up with. He can design it quick and hit you with a shock and awe offense, or slow it down and control the clock, all without the offense looking out of sync. People can think what they want, I still think top to bottom Corbin’s team was more talented last year, he was the X factor. He gets his kids to play at their fullest, they have fun, and they get to the next level. When you do all of those and back it up with wins…. That’s a COY. Larkey did good, but I wouldn’t say it’s the toughest district in 3A with bell clay and Knox. Bells good. But after that…. Betsy lane did sometbing I think might be a school record there? Not sure.. and they should be absolutely proud of that. Congrats to them!! But when they played a decent team, it fell apart. Some of the teams out west not familiar with. Maybe PTs coach? Don’t know his bio??? LCAs coach has did very well this year. But it was never one that would just give out something to someone else just because a certain person has won it multiple times or the last year, etc. To me that’s a participation trophy and it devalues the prestige that comes with it.

Man, most people could take his team this year and have a similar outcome. I would maybe be on board with this if he had no transfers, and was not coaching at a place with championship's under 3 head coaches.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FCSPY's post:
  • Nygfan106wins
People gonna have to stop pouting about transfers, hold backs and covid extra years.

If it benefitted you, then the mouth shuts. If you lose a kid you need to look at why and address it.

Get better, or get over it.

Justin Haddix definitely deserves to be mentioned for COY. You don’t win like they do without quality coaching. Take on all comers and still wear rings.
What about caverna coach his team is doing quite well
(10-24-2023, 12:53 PM)FCSPY Wrote:
(10-23-2023, 10:30 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Probably like beating a dead horse, but I’d give my vote to the one and only Sir Justin Haddix. Yea there’s talent there. But there’s talent in a lot of places that don’t produce what he’s done. Honestly I absolutely love the guys offense. Again I think a lot of people just look and see some stars and think it’s just hand it off here or throw it there. Not the case. If you look at his stint at boyle, at Corbin, he is so versatile in what he comes up with. He can design it quick and hit you with a shock and awe offense, or slow it down and control the clock, all without the offense looking out of sync. People can think what they want, I still think top to bottom Corbin’s team was more talented last year, he was the X factor. He gets his kids to play at their fullest, they have fun, and they get to the next level. When you do all of those and back it up with wins…. That’s a COY. Larkey did good, but I wouldn’t say it’s the toughest district in 3A with bell clay and Knox. Bells good. But after that…. Betsy lane did sometbing I think might be a school record there? Not sure.. and they should be absolutely proud of that. Congrats to them!! But when they played a decent team, it fell apart. Some of the teams out west not familiar with. Maybe PTs coach? Don’t know his bio??? LCAs coach has did very well this year. But it was never one that would just give out something to someone else just because a certain person has won it multiple times or the last year, etc. To me that’s a participation trophy and it devalues the prestige that comes with it.

Man, most people could take his team this year and  have a similar outcome. I would maybe be on board with this if he had no transfers, and was not coaching at a place with championship's under 3 head coaches.
Honestly I think some can get close to what he’s done success wise. But even those, not to the extent of what he’s done. Maybe 2 or 3 in Ky could… maybe. But 3 years in a row (I know that don’t count for this years COY, but for argument sake) is a tall task in one of the most difficult classes in the state. But like last year, I’m sorry you flip Corbin and boyles coaching staff, boyle don’t win that game. The 18’ boyle team, coming off a state championship the year before and not graduating that many, he took a Corbin team and shut them out. Beat a nice JC team years back with probably less talent. And yes he does have a deck full of aces, but you have to know when to play them. He’s the 12 man on that field. Now if they lose to FD, I’ll be the first one to take him out of the running, if I could. But I guess what I’m saying is he does more with less if need be, and a lot more have accomplished a lot less with very talented teams. I’m interested in seeing who is in the final runnings this year for it. But if he wins a ring, he’s deserving, if not, give it to the next guy.