Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Knox Central (5-5) @ Lawrence County (7-3)
Bulldogs host Knox Central in the first round of the Class 3A playoffs. Lawrence is coming off a 20-14 victory over Mason County. Knox Central is coming off a 57-28 loss to Middlesboro.
Just how healthy will each team be?
Lawrence County big
Lawrence but more competitive than people are thanking. I expect partin for knox to go out with a bang for his last game on both sides of the ball.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School 18's post:
  • Nations Elite
I know it’s been a common theme for there to be a lot of blowouts in the first round but these are two physical football teams. This will be a war in the trenches.
Im still wondering what happened to Knox against Middlesboro but anyways, Lawrence will be a tuff team to overcome.
Partin for Knox has had a great season. They run all of their offense through him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lcgrad2002's post:
  • Bull got out!
LC wins this one pretty easy.

Unless the changes they made last week are improved by a lot, they better enjoy this one because it’ll be the last win of the season for Lawrence.
This is a winnable game for knox, it all depends on if the Knox kids are ready to close up shop and start basketball season or lay it on the line and help the Partin kid. I think Knox can control the ball with Partin and limit Lawrence touches if they come to play.
I think Lawrence will win this game, but Knox could absolutely make it competitive!!
I'm still racking my brain about the Middlesboro game. Not surprised that they won, but the margin!!!
I'll go Lawrence County since they're home, 24-20.
Knox gives up 50 a game. No chance
LC’s defense is pretty stout…..too stout for Knox to rack up 20+ points IMO. LC’s offense is under developed…..but not enough to give this one away IMO. LC moves on.
Last win of the season? Why is that?
(10-30-2023, 04:33 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Last win of the season? Why is that?

If they have not improved their 4th and short, they’re done.  If they cannot execute a 2 minute offense, they’re done.  If they fail adjust to what the defense is giving them, they’re done.  If they run the ball down the field and then fire up a couple of prayers that fall incomplete, they’re done.  If they kick a PAT when it is obvious to anyone who knows football that the best choice is going for 2, they’re done.  

LC has already been struggling against any team who was decent. I have been seeing talks of injures over the last couple of weeks.  It just all adds up to a short playoff run in my opinion.  Maybe I am wrong, but they have a lot to clean up in Lawrence if they want to be at the level they think they are every August.
And for all of those things, I completely agree. In my opinion, the defense makes adjustments very well, it’s been the offense that’s not adjusted but we saw some things last week that lead me to believe the changes have been made and implemented. I know the coaches know what they have and what they need to do to win. I would also call Perry Central a decent team as well as Mason and they beat both of them. Even in their losses against these so called decent teams, they were right in the game throughout, it’s not like they were blown out. The defense will give them a shot to win every game.
(10-31-2023, 09:08 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: And for all of those things, I completely agree. In my opinion, the defense makes adjustments very well, it’s been the offense that’s not adjusted but we saw some things last week that lead me to believe the changes have been made and implemented. I know the coaches know what they have and what they need to do to win. I would also call Perry Central a decent team as well as Mason and they beat both of them. Even in their losses against these so called decent teams, they were right in the game throughout, it’s not like they were blown out. The defense will give them a shot to win every game.

Lawrence has beaten 1 team with an above .500 record.  That was Mason County on Friday.  The final score was 20-14.  I’d call that a struggle.

After looking a little closer, this Friday may not be as easy as I thought it would for LC. Knox has played a much tougher schedule than Lawrence. It may be a 1st round loss for the Bulldogs. I still think they pull out the win, but nothing will surprise me in this game.
I think Partin for Knox is one of the best players in the mountains, but their defense is very weak. I think Lawrence makes enough stops to win this game.

LC- 42
Knox- 20
I would argue that the Perry Central was just as big a win as the Mason game. As for their losses, they were in those games in the 4th quarter and had chances to win and didn’t execute offensively.
(10-31-2023, 09:08 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: And for all of those things, I completely agree. In my opinion, the defense makes adjustments very well, it’s been the offense that’s not adjusted but we saw some things last week that lead me to believe the changes have been made and implemented. I know the coaches know what they have and what they need to do to win. I would also call Perry Central a decent team as well as Mason and they beat both of them. Even in their losses against these so called decent teams, they were right in the game throughout, it’s not like they were blown out. The defense will give them a shot to win every game.
Ball on the 1 4th down. And didn't kick a field goal to make sure Mason didn't have a chance.That play and the play that the D just let Mason walk in tells me LC is not ready for high caliber teams out west
Can a blocked field goal be returned for a TD?
LAWRENCE 52
KNOX CENTRAL 28
(10-31-2023, 08:08 PM)AADKINS Wrote: Can a blocked field goal be returned for a TD?
Yes
Honestly, I get why they didn’t kick a field goal. They had a much higher chance of scoring than kicking a field goal.
(10-31-2023, 08:32 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Honestly, I get why they didn’t kick a field goal. They had a much higher chance of scoring than kicking a field goal.

If that FG wasn’t a better chance than scoring a TD, then why do they not go for 2 after every TD? If the PAT isn’t at least close to automatic, no reason to ever kick it
This 4th down play was inside the 1
Extra pts 3 yards out.
(10-31-2023, 10:39 PM)AADKINS Wrote: This 4th down play was inside the 1
Extra pts 3 yards out.
He also said better chance of getting the TD than a FG.  My argument is that you should never kick a PAT that isn’t automatic
I can see your reasoning for saying that and I would agree that it’s much easier to go for two knowing you have a chance if you aren’t that good at kicking PAT’s.
Hope they are training a kicker up in the middle school class. Because we really need one. Talented laying the ball down and squib/onside kicks all the time is nice and all, but sometimes you gotta kick some deep ones!! They punted it for about 50 yards they other night, you think they could kick a 11 yard field goal if they can do that!!
Just hoping to get some of the injured players back if not season ending injuries!