Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
14th region
(12-27-2023, 10:26 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote: Preseason rankings are tough. But I’ll give my best shot.

1. Breathitt- I know they lost Combs, but honestly Bellamy’s pitching carried them in the postseason last year. Bash Howard will slide into the 2 spot for him and I think a lot of people aren’t realizing how good that kid is. Majorly underrated in the region.
2. Letcher- lost their best overall player but still have top end pitching and only losing 2 seniors on a regional championship team gives me no reason to have them lower than 2 preseason.
3. Wolfe- I understand that Molands may not be pitching this year (we’ll see about that). But Max Whisman and Cam Oliver can be as effective as anyone on the mound. Just a good solid overall team that’s coming into their better years of baseball.
4. Powell- I know Estill beat them in the district last year. But Lacy Dicken should be back and will be their clear cut #1 pitcher. Possibly one of the best in the region. The big question mark is can they produce runs against good pitching? Last year in the post season (sans Lee County) they scored 2 runs in the 2 games they played.
5. Knott- Much like Wolfe this team has been very young. With a new year and more experience this team will be competitive. Great fundamental and defensive team. Competitive pitching staff led by Napier. Just don’t really have much firepower at the plate outside of Mason Amburgey.
6. Estill- Lost Forehand and 1 other contributor. But they will still be a very competitive team when Niece is on the mound, in a 1 game scenario could be a very tough out in the post season.

Honestly outside of those 6 I just don’t see anyone else competing for the regional title.
I think Powell is underrated this year. If they can Lacey throwing strikes they will beat anyone in region. They have a lot more kids than I even realized, especially young kids. You’re right about Breathitt. It’s their region to lose. They are the favorite in my opinion
Odd seeing a list without Hazard and Perry towards the top, but it makes for a fun region. Several teams will compete for the region championship this year.
(12-28-2023, 09:03 PM)Bluecat Wrote: Odd seeing a list without Hazard and Perry towards the top, but it makes for a fun region. Several teams will compete for the region championship this year.

I think Perry will have a shot this year. They were in the background last year but they absolutely have the talent to win in the 14th Region. I also think Hazard could have a good year. New coach. New energy. 14th has several teams that could possibly have good years. However I think the answer lies in which team will have the arms on the mound at the end of the season. I think everyone agrees if Breathitt develops that #2 pitcher then it’s theirs to lose.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 14th Official's post:
  • Bluecat
I remember when we played Perry back in the day, we knew we were probably taking butt whoopin. I feel like since Bobby Dixon has left, the program has took a downward spiral. Maybe the talent just isn’t there any more or it’s not being developed like they used to do it there.

Hazard lost a good group of Seniors but they have some good young talent coming up. Varney knows how to develop kids.
(12-29-2023, 10:39 AM)Diablo Wrote: I remember when we played Perry back in the day, we knew we were probably taking  butt whoopin.  I feel like since Bobby Dixon has left, the program has took a downward spiral.  Maybe the talent just isn’t there any more or it’s not being developed like they used to do it there. 

Hazard lost a good group of Seniors but they have some good young talent coming up.  Varney knows how to develop kids.

The little league in Hazard/Perry is normally competitive year in and year out which is the feeder for both PCC and Hazard. Plus each usually has a good middle school program. Both lost a lot of main guys from their HS teams which will be hard to replace in one season. From what I can remember from both teams though, Hazard may return more with game experience than Perry (even with their big senior class leaving). What Hazard and Perry both lose that will be hard to recover from is their pitching. Seems their better arms were all seniors.
Overall the region is most definitely down for the most part. I think it will a toss up but would have to lean towards either Breathitt or Wolfe.

Breathitt coached by Combs is a very solid club and is very well coached, losing Combs definitely hurts but returning Bellamy who is easily the best arm in the region is huge. Along with Tinchers big bat and also the help of Howard I think they are definitely one of the favorites this year especially if they keep the hot streak they had going during the post season last year.

Wolfe returning all 9 starters will have a big impact on their club this year. Graduating only 1 guy last season who wasn’t a starter isn’t hurting them any. Give or take 1-6 they’re arguably the best offensive team in the region, Oliver isn’t a big power guy but is a great average hitter and woke strikeout often. Molands back after the arm injury may not be back to 100% and could stun him both offensively and defensively but if he’s healthy he’s probably their guy. Wilson has a big bat with a lot of pop, isn’t going to have the best average around but will definitely hurt you if you let him. Young team who has all the tools just have to learn to win at the varsity level.

After that I think maybe Letcher, returning Williams helps but losing Little is a big loss. Solid club with a great coach just not sure they have all the tools to make it happen this year.
(01-04-2024, 03:37 AM)Bulldog717 Wrote: Overall the region is most definitely down for the most part. I think it will a toss up but would have to lean towards either Breathitt or Wolfe.

Breathitt coached by Combs is a very solid club and is very well coached, losing Combs definitely hurts but returning Bellamy who is easily the best arm in the region is huge. Along with Tinchers big bat and also the help of Howard I think they are definitely one of the favorites this year especially if they keep the hot streak they had going during the post season last year.

Wolfe returning all 9 starters will have a big impact on their club this year. Graduating only 1 guy last season who wasn’t a starter isn’t hurting them any. Give or take 1-6 they’re arguably the best offensive team in the region, Oliver isn’t a big power guy but is a great average hitter and woke strikeout often. Molands back after the arm injury may not be back to 100% and could stun him both offensively and defensively but if he’s healthy he’s probably their guy. Wilson has a big bat with a lot of pop, isn’t going to have the best average around but will definitely hurt you if you let him. Young team who has all the tools just have to learn to win at the varsity level.

After that I think maybe Letcher, returning Williams helps but losing Little is a big loss. Solid club with a great coach just not sure they have all the tools to make it happen this year.

without having the kid that beat Hazard(Molands), it will be hard to see Wolfe being able to win 3 games in the region
(01-04-2024, 10:46 PM)14th Official Wrote:
(01-04-2024, 03:37 AM)Bulldog717 Wrote: Overall the region is most definitely down for the most part. I think it will a toss up but would have to lean towards either Breathitt or Wolfe.

without having the kid that beat Hazard(Molands), it will be hard to see Wolfe being able to win 3 games in the region
I don’t think Molands beat hazard by himself by any means, Wolfe just played the game everyone expected Hazard to play and hit the ball and made the plays that were expected to be made but he 100% played a major role in that game. However, I do agree not having Molands on the mound will hurt, but they still have Whisman who is up to mid to high 80’s, the lefty oliver in the low 80’s, and Hollon in the mid 80’s and when he is on he’s very hard to hit.

I wouldn’t rule out the Wolves this year or in the next few years to come.
(01-05-2024, 02:23 AM)Bulldog717 Wrote:
(01-04-2024, 10:46 PM)14th Official Wrote:

I don’t think Molands beat hazard by himself by any means, Wolfe just played the game everyone expected Hazard to play and hit the ball and made the plays that were expected to be made but he 100% played a major role in that game. However, I do agree not having Molands on the mound will hurt, but they still have Whisman who is up to mid to high 80’s, the lefty oliver in the low 80’s, and Hollon in the mid 80’s and when he is on he’s very hard to hit.

I wouldn’t rule out the Wolves this year or in the next few years to come.

I would never rule them out. Very good coach. You’re right they have a great group around them that all got a lot better in the last year. Should be a fun group to watch. I just remember seeing his stat line of double digit strikeouts. lol!
(01-04-2024, 10:46 PM)14th Official Wrote: without having the kid that beat Hazard(Molands), it will be hard to see Wolfe being able to win 3 games in the region

Molands had a good game that night on the mound without a doubt but I watched that game online and those young boys played lights out baseball that night. They made every play in the field they were supposed to and hit the ball well that night and Hazard did not. Molands is a pretty good pitcher but let’s face it, his bat is decent at best.
(01-06-2024, 10:36 AM)EstillAlum Wrote:
(01-04-2024, 10:46 PM)14th Official Wrote: without having the kid that beat Hazard(Molands), it will be hard to see Wolfe being able to win 3 games in the region

Molands had a good game that night on the mound without a doubt but I watched that game online and those young boys played lights out baseball that night. They made every play in the field they were supposed to and hit the ball well that night and Hazard did not. Molands is a pretty good pitcher but let’s face it, his bat is decent at best.

Molands hit a homerun off the kid from Letcher in the region that was an absolute no doubter. I thought he was just as good at the plate? However I didn’t see them enough to know if he consistently did that but I know that kid from Letcher was throwing upper 80’s that night. Will he be able to play at all or is it just pitching he won’t be able to do?