Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overachieving and Underachieving Teams
I think most folks in Danville are waiting for DCA to start a football program at this point.
(11-11-2023, 03:14 PM)ROTC Wrote: What was their offense like when Charles was the OC?  What are they running now at Rowan?
They ran something like a peewee offense this year. Scored less than 80 points. 

scooter had them slingin. They scored 310 his last year.
(11-10-2023, 02:31 AM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: I’ll try to share my thoughts on the far SEKY region down here.

Corbin- Win state or you don’t meet expectations. Simple as that. TBD

Whitley County - underacheived.  Had they beaten letcher and locked up the two seed I would have put them at as expected. Really dropped off at end of year too.

Williamsburg - I’m also gonna say as expected. To be honest, I think everyone knew this was a building year. No expectations and was the underdog to mboro coming into the year.

South Laurel - Overacheived. Honestly didn’t have an awful year that we’re use to seeing out of south. The HC loss was bad, but they picked up some wins and didn’t go 0-10

North Laurel - Underacheived. They looked worse as the year went on and never really was a threat to SW but there was a lot of talk in the preseason.

Lynn Camp - as expected. Not really much to say here. At least they did pick up a couple of wins.

Knox Central - Underacheived. Just a an underwhelming year for the most part even with Partin but I don’t think anyone really expected big things. Next year might be another rough one.

Bell County - As expected. Maybe even Underacheived a little. Defense was their downfall. Thomas still the best player in the entire area IMO. Might move them to overachieve if they can upset belfry.

Middlesboro -  I’m gonna say overachieve even though they really didn’t do anything that wasn’t expected. Still won district and only had one bad loss. I think they’ve done well this year.

Harlan County - Underacheive. What a mess. That’s all that can be said right now.

Clay County - As expected with a lean toward overacheived. The loss to Knox was a head scratcher. Other than that they played well and hung in there with the big dogs.

Rockcastle County - overacheived. Definitely a good year and won the games they needed too but the Paris loss was not ideal. But Paris has had a good year.

3 days later I'd say you could change North to as expected for making it to region, Bell to overachieving for beating Belfry at Belfry and setting things up where a path to Kroger Field is attainable, and I'd say Rock underachieved. Should've been undefeated playing that cupcake schedule.
(11-12-2023, 10:05 PM)ROTC Wrote: I think most folks in Danville are waiting for DCA to start a football program at this point.
Frankly, I don't think most folks in Danville care. Administrative antagonism smothered the final embers of hope the Admirals had. The school system chased out longtime fans who experienced the unrelenting dominance of years past and dared to question the "new direction." Well, I have a few questions.

What comes next for Danville football? After a historic season for all the wrong reasons, the Admirals look to repeat. They might win a game or two if their best players return. Imagine the school's narrative. After a winless season, Danville will acclaim a 1-10, 2-9, or 3-8 season as foundation building. A 5-6 season will mean the mighty Admirals have returned to spread fear throughout 2A. If they can cobble together a winning season, then we might see celebrations comparable to winning a state title. 

What might have happened? I agree with the DBD and his hypothetical. If Danville retained Clevenger, they might well be fighting for their next championship. At the least they would make a deep run in the tournament. All of this is possible because the talent wouldn't have been forced out with their coach. 

If Danville chased their fans away, where are they now? Danville assumed that fans would return after all of their leadership's poor decisions, overt attacks upon the school's rich history, and insults to the community. They were wrong. Instead of waiting around for change, former Admiral fans can still be seen under Friday night lights. They might be at Boyle, cheering on the kids who formerly suffered at Danville. They might be at Somerset, watching their old coach make a drive into the state tournament. They might be at any game where you can find a program valuing community, tradition, and sportsmanship.

My final question: have you been to Stadium of Champions lately? The stands are empty as a few parents and family friends cheer on the Admirals. You can't see this and feel anything but sorrow for the kids. These players give it their all, but many in the community have been too wronged by the school to return. Old men gather under the stadium wall bearing dates of state titles. They look up and ask, "Remember when?" That is all they can do. If you look close, you might see the decayed, chipped paint on the wall surrounding the titles. Sometimes poetry surrounds us.
[-] The following 6 users Like The Red Eminence's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Bull got out!, Danville Blue Devil, nemo, Shogun, Walt Longmire
(11-13-2023, 02:14 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 10:05 PM)ROTC Wrote: I think most folks in Danville are waiting for DCA to start a football program at this point.
Frankly, I don't think most folks in Danville care. Administrative antagonism smothered the final embers of hope the Admirals had. The school system chased out longtime fans who experienced the unrelenting dominance of years past and dared to question the "new direction." Well, I have a few questions.

What comes next for Danville football? After a historic season for all the wrong reasons, the Admirals look to repeat. They might win a game or two if their best players return. Imagine the school's narrative. After a winless season, Danville will acclaim a 1-10, 2-9, or 3-8 season as foundation building. A 5-6 season will mean the mighty Admirals have returned to spread fear throughout 2A. If they can cobble together a winning season, then we might see celebrations comparable to winning a state title. 

What might have happened? I agree with the DBD and his hypothetical. If Danville retained Clevenger, they might well be fighting for their next championship. At the least they would make a deep run in the tournament. All of this is possible because the talent wouldn't have been forced out with their coach. 

If Danville chased their fans away, where are they now? Danville assumed that fans would return after all of their leadership's poor decisions, overt attacks upon the school's rich history, and insults to the community. They were wrong. Instead of waiting around for change, former Admiral fans can still be seen under Friday night lights. They might be at Boyle, cheering on the kids who formerly suffered at Danville. They might be at Somerset, watching their old coach make a drive into the state tournament. They might be at any game where you can find a program valuing community, tradition, and sportsmanship.

My final question: have you been to Stadium of Champions lately? The stands are empty as a few parents and family friends cheer on the Admirals. You can't see this and feel anything but sorrow for the kids. These players give it their all, but many in the community have been too wronged by the school to return. Old men gather under the stadium wall bearing dates of state titles. They look up and ask, "Remember when?" That is all they can do. If you look close, you might see the decayed, chipped paint on the wall surrounding the titles. Sometimes poetry surrounds us.

I got goosebumps reading this.
[-] The following 2 users Like Shogun's post:
  • Danville Blue Devil, nemo
(11-12-2023, 09:24 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 09:05 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: If paintsville loses tomorrow they are an underachiever IMO, that would make them 6-6 with the best win coming to a 5-6 pike central team. Hope things can improve there but .500 seasons at Paintsville with a watered down schedule compared to years past is not acceptable.

Breathitt county… not one win is considered a great win. Yes you were gonna lose to Belfry and JC regardless, but Somerset perry and letcher should all be wins. 8-2 or 7-3 should’ve been the floor at breathitt with the talent they had but with this coaching staff that might be the ceiling forever.

I would sat E-town, returning Durbin who was a thousand yard rusher last year I thought they could be good. They have a lot of bad losses and best win is Shelby valley. They will end the year 5-7.

It’s hard to pick overachievers…

(11-09-2023, 09:04 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 07:31 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 07:21 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 07:04 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: No way we are comparing the schools in Johnson county in football since matney moved to JC. That was 2 decades ago, and there’s a reason the apple bowl is no longer a thought of being played. Running clock in 5 straight meetings and would’ve been every year since they quit. 

PS paintsville and jericho owes hazard a lump sum after the upset in 20’ to get that state title you speak of…

Football is classed for a reason. It’s shameful it took 30 years to get a coach that could consistently beat Paintsville. 

We don’t owe Hazard a dang thing. You do realize that Hazard didn’t have a single first down against Paintsville until the 4th quarter? It was going to take a great effort from a 1A team to beat us that night. 

PS his name is Chirico.

I don't think that you were watching the same game when Breathitt County played Somerset.  The Bobcats didn't get beat because of coaching.  They got beat because Somerset was better up front on both sides of the ball, more physical and way faster.  I'm not seeing all that talent that everyone keeps talking about on the Bobcats.  They were one of the slowest teams that I saw all season.  They had some decent sized kids, but they didn't have the speed to get to where they wanted to go.  Somerset wins that game handily 9 out of 10 times.
I have nothing to do with breathitt county, but the preseason hype from people on here, media, players, you name it… you should beat somerset or at least keep it competitive. Hell they were gonna beat belfry and JC a couple months ago supposedly. I didn’t watch the game but based off hype this was an underachievement. They have the talent in the school but utilizing it is different.
I would consider Breathitt an underachievement as well. But not so much on the coaching staff but on some of the players early on. Seemed like they got it figured out late. Anyways, they win at Perry if you don’t get a couple personal fouls, win against Letcher if Tincher doesn’t get ejected and 2 personal fouls. Win against Somerset if Tincher is available for that game. Yes the kid is that good at stopping the run. QB play was an issue for the bobcats all season when I watched them. Stacy could sling it around against sub par teams but with any pressure at all he was running backwards and going down. Hopefully for 24 they have something in mind at QB because I don’t know if Hollon will be able to handle the punishment at his size right now. But a positive is. They return most of their offense and defense again. I think they lose 4 on offense and 3 on defense. Have a good off season bobcats and be ready to go in 24.
(11-14-2023, 12:32 PM)Oldschool86 Wrote: I would consider Breathitt an underachievement as well. But not so much on the coaching staff but on some of the players early on. Seemed like they got it figured out late. Anyways, they win at Perry if you don’t get a couple personal fouls, win against Letcher if Tincher doesn’t get ejected and 2 personal fouls. Win against Somerset if Tincher is available for that game. Yes the kid is that good at stopping the run. QB play was an issue for the bobcats all season when I watched them. Stacy could sling it around against sub par teams but with any pressure at all he was running backwards and going down. Hopefully for 24 they have something in mind at QB because I don’t know if Hollon will be able to handle the punishment at his size right now. But a positive is. They return most of their offense and defense again. I think they lose 4 on offense and 3 on defense. Have a good off season bobcats and be ready to go in 24.

Big reach here. They gave up an average of over 200 rushing yards a game prior to the Somerset game. That's factoring in the Lewis County and Hazard games as well.
(11-09-2023, 08:27 PM)B.B. Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 10:38 PM)GTownDevil Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 10:25 PM)BTP Wrote: In my opinion Rowan County was an underachiever.

They were having some success a couple years ago. What’s changed? It seems like they should be able to field competitive teams in Morehead every year.
Rowan is a hot mess.  All you have to do is watch a game and you will see why they lose and lose big to everyone.  Bad offensive play calling, no defensive strategy, and terrible work ethic from the coaches down.  They think they have the pieces in place, but from the AD to the coaching staff they have no idea how to build a program.  Oh you will hear they are building with youth, but don't buy into that because that youth never played any tough competition when they were at middle school so you will see more of the same till someone figures out that hiring coaches just because they are friends is not a recipe for success!
Agree it was a massive underachieving for a school the size of Rowan. Should score more than they did by accident.
(11-14-2023, 01:14 PM)Shogun Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 12:32 PM)Oldschool86 Wrote: I would consider Breathitt an underachievement as well. But not so much on the coaching staff but on some of the players early on. Seemed like they got it figured out late. Anyways, they win at Perry if you don’t get a couple personal fouls, win against Letcher if Tincher doesn’t get ejected and 2 personal fouls. Win against Somerset if Tincher is available for that game. Yes the kid is that good at stopping the run. QB play was an issue for the bobcats all season when I watched them. Stacy could sling it around against sub par teams but with any pressure at all he was running backwards and going down. Hopefully for 24 they have something in mind at QB because I don’t know if Hollon will be able to handle the punishment at his size right now. But a positive is. They return most of their offense and defense again. I think they lose 4 on offense and 3 on defense. Have a good off season bobcats and be ready to go in 24.

Big reach here. They gave up an average of over 200 rushing yards a game prior to the Somerset game. That's factoring in the Lewis County and Hazard games as

I know it is a big reach. But when you play teams that run the football 50 times a night. They better atleast get up to 150 yards or those 50 Carries are for under 3 yards a carry. I tell ya I really liked the kid from Bracken County. He was as shifty as the Hugh’s boy from Somerset. Probably not as good a runner but he could play. Ah doesn’t matter now. Somerset is still running while Breathitt has taken up equipment. Clevenger has done an amazing job in his first season at the Briar patch. 
(11-13-2023, 01:40 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 02:31 AM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: I’ll try to share my thoughts on the far SEKY region down here.

Whitley County - underacheived.  Had they beaten letcher and locked up the two seed I would have put them at as expected. Really dropped off at end of year too.

Williamsburg - I’m also gonna say as expected. To be honest, I think everyone knew this was a building year. No expectations and was the underdog to mboro coming into the year.

South Laurel - Overacheived. Honestly didn’t have an awful year that we’re use to seeing out of south. The HC loss was bad, but they picked up some wins and didn’t go 0-10

North Laurel - Underacheived. They looked worse as the year went on and never really was a threat to SW but there was a lot of talk in the preseason.

Lynn Camp - as expected. Not really much to say here. At least they did pick up a couple of wins.

Knox Central - Underacheived. Just a an underwhelming year for the most part even with Partin but I don’t think anyone really expected big things. Next year might be another rough one.

Bell County - As expected. Maybe even Underacheived a little. Defense was their downfall. Thomas still the best player in the entire area IMO. Might move them to overachieve if they can upset belfry.

Middlesboro -  I’m gonna say overachieve even though they really didn’t do anything that wasn’t expected. Still won district and only had one bad loss. I think they’ve done well this year.

Harlan County - Underacheive. What a mess. That’s all that can be said right now.

Clay County - As expected with a lean toward overacheived. The loss to Knox was a head scratcher. Other than that they played well and hung in there with the big dogs.

Rockcastle County - overacheived. Definitely a good year and won the games they needed too but the Paris loss was not ideal. But Paris has had a good year.

3 days later I'd say you could change North to as expected for making it to region, Bell to overachieving for beating Belfry at Belfry and setting things up where a path to Kroger Field is attainable, and I'd say Rock underachieved. Should've been undefeated playing that cupcake schedule.

I don’t disagree. Definitely change bell. Still not sold on north but I agree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KnoxvillesFinest's post:
  • Waitaminute
(11-14-2023, 09:21 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 01:40 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:

I don’t disagree. Definitely change bell. Still not sold on north but I agree.

Would like to see North compete with Highlands but it’s going to be a beat down.
(11-10-2023, 12:44 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 11:56 AM)CheapTalkit Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Bud_Bundy Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 01:38 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote: Johnson Central is built to overcome injuries. Jesse is doing a great job with everything he has been dealt. Across the creek, that is a dumpster fire. My how quick they have fallen off. .500 three years in a row. Glad I am on the right side of the creek. Heck 2 of them loses Jesse's bunch has will be to state champions in Pikeville and Corbin
Hahahahaha I hate to be the one to tell you but your school system is very worried about the future of Paintsville football. So worried in fact, they had  their 6th grade coach ref some paintsville elementary football games. He seen enough that he turned down playing them twice and he had an older football team.  If you’re going to pretend everything is just peachy keen over at Daddy Ball Central, you must not socialize very much.
I can assure you no one at Paintsville gives 3 thumbs on what is going on across the creek . Why this is even discussion is mind blowing . There is a reason why we have different classes ! No one at Paintsville is leaving either.  They have one of the strongest freshman classes coming up.  No reason why this team won't be back at Kroger field and even holding the reigns in baseball for many years to come . I will tell you what I would do . If I was a parent of a kid at JC that is just standing on the sidelines , I would get them to Paintsville quick .
Now that is funny...... No doubt that freshmen class is loaded but how do you expect that bunch to compete with Pikeville. They will be outmatched in every aspect. Kinda crazy to think that paintsville will be .500 for 3 years straight  and you think they are going to Kroger. they were loaded in 2021 and couldnt get past raceland with the 1A finals MVP returning. Sorry Paintsville is years away from competing for anything meaningful, If ol' Bud Bundy is correct about how loaded their elementary is at the moment. I'm willing to bet kids transfer out before any of the what Cheap Talk says will happen in football
Worry about your own school. It’s funny how you JC goobers are so obsessed with Paintsville. 4A school that’s bigger than some 5A schools on here obsessing over a 1A team.
I think East Carter has overachieved a little this year. They are going to be good for the next few years as most of their better players are sophomores and juniors.
(11-16-2023, 01:22 AM)Bud_Bundy Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 12:44 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 11:56 AM)CheapTalkit Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Bud_Bundy Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 01:38 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote: Johnson Central is built to overcome injuries. Jesse is doing a great job with everything he has been dealt. Across the creek, that is a dumpster fire. My how quick they have fallen off. .500 three years in a row. Glad I am on the right side of the creek. Heck 2 of them loses Jesse's bunch has will be to state champions in Pikeville and Corbin
Hahahahaha I hate to be the one to tell you but your school system is very worried about the future of Paintsville football. So worried in fact, they had  their 6th grade coach ref some paintsville elementary football games. He seen enough that he turned down playing them twice and he had an older football team.  If you’re going to pretend everything is just peachy keen over at Daddy Ball Central, you must not socialize very much.
I can assure you no one at Paintsville gives 3 thumbs on what is going on across the creek . Why this is even discussion is mind blowing . There is a reason why we have different classes ! No one at Paintsville is leaving either.  They have one of the strongest freshman classes coming up.  No reason why this team won't be back at Kroger field and even holding the reigns in baseball for many years to come . I will tell you what I would do . If I was a parent of a kid at JC that is just standing on the sidelines , I would get them to Paintsville quick .
Now that is funny...... No doubt that freshmen class is loaded but how do you expect that bunch to compete with Pikeville. They will be outmatched in every aspect. Kinda crazy to think that paintsville will be .500 for 3 years straight  and you think they are going to Kroger. they were loaded in 2021 and couldnt get past raceland with the 1A finals MVP returning. Sorry Paintsville is years away from competing for anything meaningful, If ol' Bud Bundy is correct about how loaded their elementary is at the moment. I'm willing to bet kids transfer out before any of the what Cheap Talk says will happen in football
Worry about your own school. It’s funny how you JC goobers are so obsessed with Paintsville. 4A school that’s bigger than some 5A schools on here obsessing over a 1A team.
I think we should consolidate, we would have a really good team.
LCA has to be the biggest underachiever of not just this season but the last 3. Coming into the playoffs they looked like an unstoppable force in 2A and last night Mayfield proved that wrong. As a program they have consistently had the best players on the field for several years but for whatever reason can’t win when it matters most.
LCA and Corbin both underachievers. LCA for obvious reasons.. Mr Football leader likely in Hensley and SEC QB and can’t win region. Corbin for obvious reasons, best team money can buy.. bring in two four stars and can’t win region.
(11-13-2023, 02:14 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:

Nailed it.  Sadly, nailed it.
Thank you all for the kind responses to my post. These are not my words, but the words of a community wronged by the school system at every turn. 

Since my last post, Coach Clevenger led the Briar Jumpers to a regional title and will now move on to the state semifinals. I will not compare Somerset's season with Danville's. Any point I would make is self-evident to the most casual follower of high school football.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Red Eminence's post:
  • nemo, Walt Longmire