Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overachieving and Underachieving Teams
Underachiever is where I have to eat crow. I really thought Breathitt would be a top team and I watched them self destruct all season.

And I have to take a second helping of that crow and say Somerset as well for the overachiever team. I don’t think they’ll be a perennial power but I would always say formidable. If they start attracting top talent, then sky is the limit. But to be a contender, you have to compete talent wise with LCA and Beechwood because Simsrset does have the top tier Head Coach.
(11-06-2023, 07:21 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 07:04 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:56 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:47 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Bud_Bundy Wrote: Hahahahaha I hate to be the one to tell you but your school system is very worried about the future of Paintsville football. So worried in fact, they had  their 6th grade coach ref some paintsville elementary football games. He seen enough that he turned down playing them twice and he had an older football team.  If you’re going to pretend everything is just peachy keen over at Daddy Ball Central, you must not socialize very much.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA........ why would be concerned about a team that will most likely have a new coach in the next year. A team that barely has twenty on the sideline. Jesse aint going to let this program slide. keep polishing those elementary trophies. we prefer the ones the KHSAA hands out for winning in December.

Peck won't be getting any of them you get in December anytime soon either. Paintsville has a championship more recent than Central. Keep polishing those district championship trophies.
No way we are comparing the schools in Johnson county in football since matney moved to JC. That was 2 decades ago, and there’s a reason the apple bowl is no longer a thought of being played. Running clock in 5 straight meetings and would’ve been every year since they quit. 

PS paintsville and jericho owes hazard a lump sum after the upset in 20’ to get that state title you speak of…

Football is classed for a reason. It’s shameful it took 30 years to get a coach that could consistently beat Paintsville. 

We don’t owe Hazard a dang thing. You do realize that Hazard didn’t have a single first down against Paintsville until the 4th quarter? It was going to take a great effort from a 1A team to beat us that night. 

PS his name is Chirico.
1. People were here trying to make a case that JC is worried about paintsville, which will never be the case. I agree classes are for a reason, and this shouldn’t even be a conversation. Paintsville should just be happy with what they got and quit punching at the clouds. 
2. Hazard pulled the biggest upset in mountain history in that covid year, if not for that paintsville has to play the panthers that year… so yes they should thank howard for the one good win he had in his tenure. 
3. Autocorrect on chirico.
(11-07-2023, 02:56 AM)Bud_Bundy Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:47 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA........ why would be concerned about a team that will most likely have a new coach in the next year. A team that barely has twenty on the sideline. Jesse aint going to let this program slide. keep polishing those elementary trophies. we prefer the ones the KHSAA hands out for winning in December.

Peck won't be getting any of them you get in December anytime soon either. Paintsville has a championship more recent than Central. Keep polishing those district championship trophies.
No way we are comparing the schools in Johnson county in football since matney moved to JC. That was 2 decades ago, and there’s a reason the apple bowl is no longer a thought of being played. Running clock in 5 straight meetings and would’ve been every year since they quit. 

PS paintsville and jericho owes hazard a lump sum after the upset in 20’ to get that state title you speak of…

Football is classed for a reason. It’s shameful it took 30 years to get a coach that could consistently beat Paintsville. 

We don’t owe Hazard a dang thing. You do realize that Hazard didn’t have a single first down against Paintsville until the 4th quarter? It was going to take a great effort from a 1A team to beat us that night. 

PS his name is Chirico.
That guy has no idea what he is talking about. Jesse Peck isn’t even in the ball park of being as good as Jim Matney. Same can be said about Hoskins compared to Joe Chirico. Some JC people on here aren’t smart enough to understand they have an advantage over the whole 15th region because they have more kids then some 5A schools.  “We put a running clock on you, we’re so awesome for doing that against a class A school” LOL!

A program that played for 5 state titles in a row in 4A is now bragging about losing to a Class A school that’s a contender for a state championship. Then the guy is bragging about a butt whipping from a team in contention in their class. Hahahahaha BUT the programs not slipping? LOL!

Stick a fork in the birds. They're done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Bud_Bundy
(11-08-2023, 03:33 PM)DangerMouse Wrote: Underachiever is where I have to eat crow. I really thought Breathitt would be a  top team and I watched them self destruct all season.

And I have to take a second helping of that crow and say Somerset as well for the overachiever team. I don’t think they’ll be a perennial power but I would always say formidable. If they start attracting top talent, then sky is the limit. But to be a contender, you have to compete talent wise with LCA and Beechwood because Simsrset does have the top tier Head Coach.

Well, Im going to say that kids in the Pulaski County area once they figure out how good the Somerset program will be in the Hands of Clevenger will get some dandy talent.  I think they will have there chance sooner than later for the 2A Crown. I like what he did at gound zero with a depleted team. Reckon what he would have done with the additions of all the Corbin transfers..... I would about bet that Somerset makes it further in the playoffs than Corbin if he had 3 players... Smile
(11-08-2023, 09:05 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 03:33 PM)DangerMouse Wrote: Underachiever is where I have to eat crow. I really thought Breathitt would be a  top team and I watched them self destruct all season.

Well, Im going to say that kids in the Pulaski County area once they figure out how good the Somerset program will be in the Hands of Clevenger will get some dandy talent.  I think they will have there chance sooner than later for the 2A Crown. I like what he did at gound zero with a depleted team. Reckon what he would have done with the additions of all the Corbin transfers..... I would about bet that Somerset makes it further in the playoffs than Corbin if he had 3 players... :)
Having those twins would have made Somerset instantly bettter and a contender but in the long run these kids that are getting valuable time on the field that are starting as sophomores would be pushed to the side and not been able to contribute at such a high level for maybe another year or so I think Somerset is probably better off in the long run but still would like to have had them.
In my opinion Rowan County was an underachiever.
(11-08-2023, 10:25 PM)BTP Wrote: In my opinion Rowan County was an underachiever.

They were having some success a couple years ago. What’s changed? It seems like they should be able to field competitive teams in Morehead every year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GTownDevil's post:
  • Bandit29
(11-08-2023, 09:05 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

Well, Im going to say that kids in the Pulaski County area once they figure out how good the Somerset program will be in the Hands of Clevenger will get some dandy talent.  I think they will have there chance sooner than later for the 2A Crown. I like what he did at gound zero with a depleted team. Reckon what he would have done with the additions of all the Corbin transfers..... I would about bet that Somerset makes it further in the playoffs than Corbin if he had 3 players... Smile

They’ll probably have a better playoff run than Corbin anyways. Corbin has to go to Boyle County in round 3, right? Somerset being in the East should be the favorite in the rest of their playoff games until the semifinals where they’ll have a trip to Owensboro Catholic for a shot at state.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • Heater34
(11-08-2023, 10:38 PM)GTownDevil Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 10:25 PM)BTP Wrote: In my opinion Rowan County was an underachiever.

They were having some success a couple years ago. What’s changed? It seems like they should be able to field competitive teams in Morehead every year.
Rowan is a hot mess.  All you have to do is watch a game and you will see why they lose and lose big to everyone.  Bad offensive play calling, no defensive strategy, and terrible work ethic from the coaches down.  They think they have the pieces in place, but from the AD to the coaching staff they have no idea how to build a program.  Oh you will hear they are building with youth, but don't buy into that because that youth never played any tough competition when they were at middle school so you will see more of the same till someone figures out that hiring coaches just because they are friends is not a recipe for success!
(11-08-2023, 07:31 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:47 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA........ why would be concerned about a team that will most likely have a new coach in the next year. A team that barely has twenty on the sideline. Jesse aint going to let this program slide. keep polishing those elementary trophies. we prefer the ones the KHSAA hands out for winning in December.

PS his name is Chirico.
1. People were here trying to make a case that JC is worried about paintsville, which will never be the case. I agree classes are for a reason, and this shouldn’t even be a conversation. Paintsville should just be happy with what they got and quit punching at the clouds. 
2. Hazard pulled the biggest upset in mountain history in that covid year, if not for that paintsville has to play the panthers that year… so yes they should thank howard for the one good win he had in his tenure. 
Disagree on your second point. Pikeville struggled all year to put up points like everyone thought they would. And I think Paintsville 2013 win over Pikeville is the largest upset ever. It was like an 80 point turnaround.
If paintsville loses tomorrow they are an underachiever IMO, that would make them 6-6 with the best win coming to a 5-6 pike central team. Hope things can improve there but .500 seasons at Paintsville with a watered down schedule compared to years past is not acceptable.

Breathitt county… not one win is considered a great win. Yes you were gonna lose to Belfry and JC regardless, but Somerset perry and letcher should all be wins. 8-2 or 7-3 should’ve been the floor at breathitt with the talent they had but with this coaching staff that might be the ceiling forever.

I would sat E-town, returning Durbin who was a thousand yard rusher last year I thought they could be good. They have a lot of bad losses and best win is Shelby valley. They will end the year 5-7.

It’s hard to pick overachievers…

(11-09-2023, 09:04 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 07:31 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:56 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Peck won't be getting any of them you get in December anytime soon either. Paintsville has a championship more recent than Central. Keep polishing those district championship trophies.

PS his name is Chirico.
Disagree on your second point. Pikeville struggled all year to put up points like everyone thought they would. And I think Paintsville 2013 win over Pikeville is the largest upset ever. It was like an 80 point turnaround.
Either one really yeah. Anytime you flip a running clock at halftime loss into a win is mind blowing. But i have to say when you have Kash at QB it’s anyone’s game. I was more impressed that year that Pikeville put up 62 on a kash led team. But paintsville was good regardless that year, they were 11-2. Hazard in 2020 was terrible at best. They would’ve started out the year 0-6 if not for the “covid cancellation” that should’ve been a forfeit against Harlan county really… The best win up to that point was against 2 win Whitley. And then poof they win. I think if not for that game it’s paintsville Pikeville again at Kroger.
(11-06-2023, 11:51 PM)papabear02 Wrote: I think Pike Central was the disappointment this year.
I can agree startes the season on fire just for it to be turned to ice.

one thing i know of, Head coach ran off any coach that was worth anything. Offense fell off, defense fell off. Its bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes strepxe's post:
  • Ogre
Knox.

Coach buck is in the hot seat.

Back to Corbin or Boyle he goes.
I’ll try to share my thoughts on the far SEKY region down here.

Corbin- Win state or you don’t meet expectations. Simple as that. TBD

Whitley County - underacheived. Had they beaten letcher and locked up the two seed I would have put them at as expected. Really dropped off at end of year too.

Williamsburg - I’m also gonna say as expected. To be honest, I think everyone knew this was a building year. No expectations and was the underdog to mboro coming into the year.

South Laurel - Overacheived. Honestly didn’t have an awful year that we’re use to seeing out of south. The HC loss was bad, but they picked up some wins and didn’t go 0-10

North Laurel - Underacheived. They looked worse as the year went on and never really was a threat to SW but there was a lot of talk in the preseason.

Lynn Camp - as expected. Not really much to say here. At least they did pick up a couple of wins.

Knox Central - Underacheived. Just a an underwhelming year for the most part even with Partin but I don’t think anyone really expected big things. Next year might be another rough one.

Bell County - As expected. Maybe even Underacheived a little. Defense was their downfall. Thomas still the best player in the entire area IMO. Might move them to overachieve if they can upset belfry.

Middlesboro - I’m gonna say overachieve even though they really didn’t do anything that wasn’t expected. Still won district and only had one bad loss. I think they’ve done well this year.

Harlan County - Underacheive. What a mess. That’s all that can be said right now.

Clay County - As expected with a lean toward overacheived. The loss to Knox was a head scratcher. Other than that they played well and hung in there with the big dogs.

Rockcastle County - overacheived. Definitely a good year and won the games they needed too but the Paris loss was not ideal. But Paris has had a good year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KnoxvillesFinest's post:
  • DangerMouse
(11-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Bud_Bundy Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 01:38 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote: Johnson Central is built to overcome injuries. Jesse is doing a great job with everything he has been dealt. Across the creek, that is a dumpster fire. My how quick they have fallen off. .500 three years in a row. Glad I am on the right side of the creek. Heck 2 of them loses Jesse's bunch has will be to state champions in Pikeville and Corbin
Hahahahaha I hate to be the one to tell you but your school system is very worried about the future of Paintsville football. So worried in fact, they had  their 6th grade coach ref some paintsville elementary football games. He seen enough that he turned down playing them twice and he had an older football team.  If you’re going to pretend everything is just peachy keen over at Daddy Ball Central, you must not socialize very much.
I can assure you no one at Paintsville gives 3 thumbs on what is going on across the creek . Why this is even discussion is mind blowing . There is a reason why we have different classes ! No one at Paintsville is leaving either.  They have one of the strongest freshman classes coming up.  No reason why this team won't be back at Kroger field and even holding the reigns in baseball for many years to come . I will tell you what I would do . If I was a parent of a kid at JC that is just standing on the sidelines , I would get them to Paintsville quick .
(11-10-2023, 11:56 AM)CheapTalkit Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Bud_Bundy Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 01:38 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote: Johnson Central is built to overcome injuries. Jesse is doing a great job with everything he has been dealt. Across the creek, that is a dumpster fire. My how quick they have fallen off. .500 three years in a row. Glad I am on the right side of the creek. Heck 2 of them loses Jesse's bunch has will be to state champions in Pikeville and Corbin
Hahahahaha I hate to be the one to tell you but your school system is very worried about the future of Paintsville football. So worried in fact, they had  their 6th grade coach ref some paintsville elementary football games. He seen enough that he turned down playing them twice and he had an older football team.  If you’re going to pretend everything is just peachy keen over at Daddy Ball Central, you must not socialize very much.
I can assure you no one at Paintsville gives 3 thumbs on what is going on across the creek . Why this is even discussion is mind blowing . There is a reason why we have different classes ! No one at Paintsville is leaving either.  They have one of the strongest freshman classes coming up.  No reason why this team won't be back at Kroger field and even holding the reigns in baseball for many years to come . I will tell you what I would do . If I was a parent of a kid at JC that is just standing on the sidelines , I would get them to Paintsville quick .
Now that is funny...... No doubt that freshmen class is loaded but how do you expect that bunch to compete with Pikeville. They will be outmatched in every aspect. Kinda crazy to think that paintsville will be .500 for 3 years straight  and you think they are going to Kroger. they were loaded in 2021 and couldnt get past raceland with the 1A finals MVP returning. Sorry Paintsville is years away from competing for anything meaningful, If ol' Bud Bundy is correct about how loaded their elementary is at the moment. I'm willing to bet kids transfer out before any of the what Cheap Talk says will happen in football
(11-09-2023, 08:27 PM)B.B. Wrote:

Rowan is a hot mess.  All you have to do is watch a game and you will see why they lose and lose big to everyone.  Bad offensive play calling, no defensive strategy, and terrible work ethic from the coaches down.  They think they have the pieces in place, but from the AD to the coaching staff they have no idea how to build a program.  Oh you will hear they are building with youth, but don't buy into that because that youth never played any tough competition when they were at middle school so you will see more of the same till someone figures out that hiring coaches just because they are friends is not a recipe for success!

This.

During the 3 year stretch of winning seasons the OC got zero support from the school and community, even though what they were doing was working.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bandit29's post:
  • Ogre
Johnson Central overachieved
(11-10-2023, 12:47 PM)Bandit29 Wrote:

This.

During the 3 year stretch of winning seasons the OC got zero support from the school and community, even though what they were doing was working.

I’m not trying to be a smarta$$.  I’m genuinely curious:  what support does an OC expect from school and community?  Are you talking- light teaching duties, better stipend…?

I was told by someone on the inside in Rowan when Coach Ford was hired:  “it is his turn; he has paid his dues in the youth program.”
Question time…

Say the Somerset three would have went back there instead of Corbin.

Would somerset have a better shot at a title than Corbin trying to get around Boyle??
[-] The following 1 user Likes KnoxvillesFinest's post:
  • ROTC
(11-10-2023, 08:09 PM)ROTC Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 12:47 PM)Bandit29 Wrote:

This.

I’m not trying to be a smarta$$.  I’m genuinely curious:  what support does an OC expect from school and community?  Are you talking- light teaching duties, better stipend…?

I was told by someone on the inside in Rowan when Coach Ford was hired:  “it is his turn; he has paid his dues in the youth program.”

They shouldn't expect push back on a system that clearly worked.  
What was their offense like when Charles was the OC? What are they running now at Rowan?
When you look at Paintsville’s youth, I would say that they overachieved this year. The previous two seasons, underachieved. This season was what you would actually call a “rebuilding year.” That’s just my opinion.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 2 users Like Redneck's post:
  • Bud_Bundy, CheapTalkit
(11-08-2023, 09:04 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:56 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Peck won't be getting any of them you get in December anytime soon either. Paintsville has a championship more recent than Central. Keep polishing those district championship trophies.

PS his name is Chirico.
That guy has no idea what he is talking about. Jesse Peck isn’t even in the ball park of being as good as Jim Matney. Same can be said about Hoskins compared to Joe Chirico. Some JC people on here aren’t smart enough to understand they have an advantage over the whole 15th region because they have more kids then some 5A schools.  “We put a running clock on you, we’re so awesome for doing that against a class A school” LOL!

A program that played for 5 state titles in a row in 4A is now bragging about losing to a Class A school that’s a contender for a state championship. Then the guy is bragging about a butt whipping from a team in contention in their class. Hahahahaha BUT the programs not slipping? LOL!

Man, JC must have really stung you somehow in the past lol! I've never seen such a hater!
(11-12-2023, 10:42 AM)Hoss Cat Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 09:04 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 07:04 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: No way we are comparing the schools in Johnson county in football since matney moved to JC. That was 2 decades ago, and there’s a reason the apple bowl is no longer a thought of being played. Running clock in 5 straight meetings and would’ve been every year since they quit. 

PS his name is Chirico.

Man, JC must have really stung you somehow in the past lol! I've never seen such a hater!
Nope. I don't hate anybody. I was just  letting you know that birds have came back down to earth and their run at championships  is over with. reality sucks sometimes. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • CheapTalkit
WAY underachieving Danville
(11-09-2023, 09:05 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: If paintsville loses tomorrow they are an underachiever IMO, that would make them 6-6 with the best win coming to a 5-6 pike central team. Hope things can improve there but .500 seasons at Paintsville with a watered down schedule compared to years past is not acceptable.

Breathitt county… not one win is considered a great win. Yes you were gonna lose to Belfry and JC regardless, but Somerset perry and letcher should all be wins. 8-2 or 7-3 should’ve been the floor at breathitt with the talent they had but with this coaching staff that might be the ceiling forever.

I would sat E-town, returning Durbin who was a thousand yard rusher last year I thought they could be good. They have a lot of bad losses and best win is Shelby valley. They will end the year 5-7.

It’s hard to pick overachievers…

(11-09-2023, 09:04 PM)2000PHS Wrote: [quote="Gridiron_Raid" pid="2430716" dateline="1699482685"]
[quote="2000PHS" pid="2430333" dateline="1699309285"]
[quote="Gridiron_Raid" pid="2430329" dateline="1699308278"]

PS his name is Chirico.

I don't think that you were watching the same game when Breathitt County played Somerset. The Bobcats didn't get beat because of coaching. They got beat because Somerset was better up front on both sides of the ball, more physical and way faster. I'm not seeing all that talent that everyone keeps talking about on the Bobcats. They were one of the slowest teams that I saw all season. They had some decent sized kids, but they didn't have the speed to get to where they wanted to go. Somerset wins that game handily 9 out of 10 times.
Breathitt is like Lynch and Fleming Neon.

It’s over
Danville has to be the most underachieving program in the state based on what could have been this year.  Had they not fired Clevenger Danville would likely have retained most if not all of the players that have transferred out and may have had one transfer in. Together they would have been in the top tier of class 2A. I’m not saying they would have been the best 2A team or would have won the title however they would have been a contender. Instead they did fire Clevenger who won Danville’s district coaching Somerset while Danville couldn’t win a game. Would have been among the better teams in their class but instead one of the worst teams in the state. There’s no coming back from the damage the current and recent administration have done. A few more years of this Danville may not have a football program. This could have been a state semifinal year and they didn’t win a game. Underachieving is the nice way to say it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Danville Blue Devil's post:
  • Walt Longmire