Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
16th Region preview
Ashland has to be the favorite, with Boyd hot on their heels. Boyd may even be better on paper, but has to get over that hump of beating them when it counts. 

Morgan County and Fleming County both were 20 win teams last year, and return most of their teams from last year. Both will have experience AND talent that will make them big time region contenders. 

Bath County has as new, very successful and experienced head coach in Matthew Perry. They also have apparent transfers, that if eligible, could be a nightmare for teams. They have to be the biggest question mark team. 

Thoughts, opinions, lets hear em....
For Fleming, rumor is Lucas Jolly may miss most if not all of the season. That could hurt their chances. For Bath, they have 3 transfers who are definite region changers but nobody knows if they are eligible.

Morgan is going to be a nightmare for everyone if they’re hitting shots.
I think it all starts and ends with Ashland, obviously. East Carter is my sleeper in the region. Not saying that they will win the region or anything, but they certainly can give teams fits on that stage with their experience.
Fairview coaching and player overhaul? two asst coaches that thompson inhereted are gone, and izzac johnson and mitchell cox not on roster? anyone know where the kids went? was thinking eagles had a good looking roster but not so much depth now, we shall see
Fairview had a sneaky team with the way they score but not sure without those two. Are they gone, not playing, or the roster just not updated?
(11-19-2023, 06:29 PM)TribeTime Wrote: Fairview had a sneaky team with the way they score but not sure without those two. Are they gone, not playing, or the roster just not updated?
thats what im wondering? not on current roster and not at meet the eagles fri nite...TBD
(11-14-2023, 01:12 PM)TribeTime Wrote: For Fleming, rumor is Lucas Jolly may miss most if not all of the season. That could hurt their chances. For Bath, they have 3 transfers who are definite region changers but nobody knows if they are eligible.

Morgan is going to be a nightmare for everyone if they’re hitting shots.

I can guarantee the kids at Bath are not eligible.
Will the Bath kids be eligible? I heard they played in their scrimmage Saturday.
The desparation to be relevant in Owingsville is laughable. They had a good coach who was getting some things done there and they let him go because of back door politics. Then they hire 2 different guys in back to back years that have had questionable pasts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldFlow's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
Unfortunately the 16th Region is on a little down cycle right now. I don't believe any of the tops teams this year (Ashland, Boyd Co., Morgan Co.) would beat the Ashland teams of three or four years ago. Things run in cycles so I think it will turn around but not for a few more years. I think the biggest questions is "Does some of the younger talent in the region stay in the 16th Region?"

The problem with a lot of teams in the 16th Region is not the lack of competition. A good coach that cares about player development can go out and schedule good teams (outside the Region) instead of chasing wins. But I think the real problem is the lack of depth on team's rosters. Teams play games twice a week (sometimes three time a week) where they practice 3 or 4 times a week. If good young players are not pushed in practice with other good players in their position, then they are not going to reach their potential. They have to practice against good talent. That is why a lot of players (and parents) with hopes of playing at the next level will gamble on themselves and go to places that will push them. Of course this is just my opinion and my opinion doesn't carry any more weight than the next guy. LOL!!
(11-20-2023, 04:50 PM)TribeTime Wrote: Will the Bath kids be eligible? I heard they played in their scrimmage Saturday.

Is Perry back to manipulating the foreign exchange student program?  Where did these “transfers” come from?  If he shows his true colors in Owingsville, they will be hiring again soon.
I guess you can say that about Perry…
Ashland just destroyed Pike Central. They were to be contenders for 15th
[-] The following 1 user Likes Truewords's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(11-23-2023, 07:50 AM)ROTC Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 04:50 PM)TribeTime Wrote: Will the Bath kids be eligible? I heard they played in their scrimmage Saturday.

Is Perry back to manipulating the foreign exchange student program?  Where did these “transfers” come from?  If he shows his true colors in Owingsville, they will be hiring again soon.
Give me a break haha, bath has had kids transferring in long before Perry got there.  Morgan County got more transfers in one year after Perry left 3 starters to be exact from a district rival haha than he had total in his tenure (name me another year in Morgan county history that 3 transfers came in one year and started at that school) Seriously? Sounds like you’re sour over a man that has done nothing but the best with what he’s had to work with.  Morgan is gonna be at the bottom of the barrel for a while after this year.  Which is Karma unless they hit that transfer button again
Transfers or not, and I know it’s preseason scrimmages. Bath isn’t beating Ashland or Boyd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KyGymRat's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(11-26-2023, 02:41 AM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:

Give me a break haha, bath has had kids transferring in long before Perry got there.  Morgan County got more transfers in one year after Perry left 3 starters to be exact from a district rival haha than he had total in his tenure (name me another year in Morgan county history that 3 transfers came in one year and started at that school) Seriously? Sounds like you’re sour over a man that has done nothing but the best with what he’s had to work with.  Morgan is gonna be at the bottom of the barrel for a while after this year.  Which is Karma unless they hit that transfer button again
2 of the 3 players went there to play for their brother.  The other player was a close family friend.  I would have done the same thing.  Bath has a certain person / family that has access to international players and they fully try to take advantage of it.  What you are talking about is 2 totally different things.  Perry done the same thing at Morgan that he is trying to pull off at Bath.  The overall opinion of everyone in the state (outside Bath Co. obviously) is:  If the KHSAA allows this to happen at Bath county, they might as well open up recruiting state wide.  This is sloppy and deliberately recruiting players right in everyone’s face.  I wish all these kids the best that are coming to Bath but rules are rules.  This Karma talk is stupid.  ?
The Clark kid is eligible people say. The others are not but have been playing in scrimmages like they are or think they will be. If they’re eligible then just open it up because this is as blatant as it gets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TribeTime's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(11-26-2023, 02:41 AM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:

Morgan had STARTERS transfer in from Serbia and Puerto Rico.  Also, tried to woo kids from Magoffin and Wolfe Co.- under Perry’s tenure there.  I think those saw enough during open gym/summer ball and went back home.

I’m not sour about anything; simply stating facts about things I know to be true.

And yes Morgan will always be bottom feeders in most sports.  Poor leadership and the locals can’t get out of their own way.

Perry always said-“Magoffin has all the genetics because they drink the minerals out of the Licking River and Morgan drinks their s#\+ that they flush in their straight pipes!”  His words about the county he grew up in, went to school at, and worked most of his life; not mine.
If Bath keeps Coach Perry for an extended period of time they will be greatly improved.
Going to be some absolute wars between Boyd and Ashland this year both looked good on Saturday in Inez.
(11-27-2023, 04:48 PM)IntheZone Wrote: Going to be some absolute wars between Boyd and Ashland this year both looked good on Saturday in Inez.

Seems like a two horse race at this point.
Looks like that Boyd dad that got Mays fired from Ashland (won't say name b/c of the kid) is on the bench and coaching for Boyd after all. Should be interesting.
Mays got Mays fired but that is in the past. No reason to keep bringing it up. I hope Boyd Co. has a great year as well as others in the 16th Region.
After Rowan beat Mason Co I would say there is another horse in the race!
(11-29-2023, 12:52 PM)Bandit29 Wrote: After Rowan beat Mason Co I would say there is another horse in the race!
16th region goes though the 64th!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ky1976's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
Rowan beating Mason is something to keep an eye on. I wasn't there, but heard Rowan can really get up and down the court in a hurry.
(11-29-2023, 10:59 AM)The_Messenger Wrote: Mays got Mays fired but that is in the past. No reason to keep bringing it up. I hope Boyd Co. has a great year as well as others in the 16th Region.
Fan wasn’t trying to bring Mays back up messenger just stating Jerry was the new conditioning coach on the bench for Boyd this season. I hope Ashland has a great season as well as the others in the 16th.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thfan's post:
  • Fanman
(11-29-2023, 07:22 PM)Ky1976 Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 12:52 PM)Bandit29 Wrote: After Rowan beat Mason Co I would say there is another horse in the race!
16th region goes though the 64th!!!
I agree with that, just this win shows Rowan will have something to say about it.
Bath's season hasn't went too well so far, not sure if the transfers have been playing or not.
They have not. Word is the appeal decision is this week.