Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumor: Mark Stoops to Texas A&M
Unfortunately it looks like this is a very real possibility and the parameters of a deal could be worked out by Monday.
(11-26-2023, 12:34 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Unfortunately it looks like this is a very real possibility and the parameters of a deal could be worked out by Monday.

Most Kentucky fans don't know what they got until it's gone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Cactus Jack
The worst part of it is that Marrow will be gone as well. He is the one who brings in the players.

Here is a link to a story by Dave Campbell who is supposed to know all about the state of Texas football.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/20...review_img
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(11-26-2023, 12:52 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote: The worst part of it is that Marrow will be gone as well. He is the one who brings in the players.

Here is a link to a story by Dave Campbell who is supposed to know all about the state of Texas football.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/20...review_img

I got this news from an Aggie, not from KSR, just FWIW.

I also think that there are much better fits for A&M than Stoops, just based on the areas that they recruit.

Leopold at Kansas is a guy I've liked for that job from the jump. Know he took his bumps in the North as well, but he's at least got a base in the Kansas/Dallas area and has shown he knows how to build a program.

Also, just a final thought: Dave Campbell is synonymous with Texas high school football.

Welp, per Mark Stoops Twitter, he's staying at Kentucky.
From what I read, the uproar from the Aggie fan base put a stop to the deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Van Hagar
According to a guy I go to church with, who actually works for one of the UK fan sites, Stoops accepted the offer last night. But the fan base at A&M (and here I’m assuming this means the folks with $$$) got in an uproar, and the offer was withdrawn.
Assuming Stoops stays put,  how do you think  this news(his accepting an offer to leave Lexington for College Station) will play with the UK fanbase? I have already read comments from a lot of fans late in the season calling for his ouster.
I’m all for Stoops (and hopefully Marrow and Coen) staying. Do I think he is one of the elite? No. But I think he has been good for the UK program, and who could you bring in that would come that would be a better fit? Unless you got really lucky on a young gun that happened to pan out.
The other big rumor right now is that Mississippi St. qb Will Rogers is Lexington bound once the portal opens. If healthy, (he missed most of this season) he could be a real difference maker. He is second in the SEC all-time in passing yards with over 12,000 right now, has one year of eligibility left. Could be everything Leary was supposed to be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(11-26-2023, 02:48 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Assuming Stoops stays put,  how do you think  this news(his accepting an offer to leave Lexington for College Station) will play with the UK fanbase? I have already read comments from a lot of fans late in the season calling for his ouster.

In a very weird way, I almost think it helps. People who heard the news of his impending departure last night probably thought: "oh no, where do we go now"? I know that I did, and I've never wanted Stoops gone.

I also think Mitch would be much closer to hiring another Joker Phillips that he'd be to hiring another Stoops.

Now, if we're talking people who woke up and digested the news cycle all at once (i.e., they just read that he'd planned to leave but ended up staying), then they probably kept their original opinion of Stoops.

(11-26-2023, 02:26 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: According to a guy I go to church with, who actually works for one of the UK fan sites, Stoops accepted the offer last night. But the fan base at A&M (and here I’m assuming this means the folks with $$$) got in an uproar, and the offer was withdrawn.

There is nothing more meddlesome than the Texas football fan (at any level or any school).

Have an acquaintance who played on Texas' last national championship team and we were talking about Charlie Strong when he said something that really stuck with me. He said that the problem wasn't coaching, it was boosters-- and there were almost too many of them for a young coach.

For example-- you have your group of boosters from Houston, from Dallas, from Austin, from San Antonio/South Texas, and from West Texas. They all push for the local stud recruit from their high school to be signed because they want their own fingerprints on the program. Then when that guy is signed, they want to see him play (over the recruits from the other areas).

In essence, their boosters pushing for their own guy cannibalizes the program from within unless you have someone whose been there forever or is a name like Nick Saban or Kirby Smart that has had so much success he can tell boosters that it's his way or the highway.
Also think that there's something to be said for the fact that Jimbo Fisher left A&M being owed in excess of $70 million. I'd have to think that the contract being signed by the next A&M coach is probably very heavy on incentives as part of the overall compensation package. For Stoops (who is currently one of the 10 highest paid coaches), I can see how this would not have been ideal given what he already has.
things must be really bad at A&M if Stoops is who they wanted.
(11-27-2023, 09:04 PM)plantmanky Wrote: things must be really bad at A&M if Stoops is who they wanted.

Who would plant guy want at UK over Stoops ?   And I'm talking someone who would legitimately come here to coach.