Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pikeville 21 Raceland 0 1A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
(12-06-2023, 09:23 PM)Deuce8 Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 08:50 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Mayfield yes. Beechwood I’m not sure.
Since 1990 …. 1A state Champions 

Beechwood 13 time state champion 

Mayfield      6 time state champion 

what are you not sure of ????
At the time Mayfield moved up to 2A they were the dominant team in 1A having won 4/5 titles in Class A between 2010 and 2014 and winning 2A their first year in that class in 2015.  Mayfield also completely owned Beechwood during that time.  Based off of those facts Beechwood was actually the biggest benefactor of Mayfield moving up while they were in 1A and I’m not sure their 3peat between 2016-2018 would have happened had Mayfield stayed in Class A.  That being said I think Pikeville still wins their 2015 title if Mayfield stayed in Class A.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Belichick
(12-06-2023, 11:09 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I got a question for true Pikeville fans…not the homers that get on here just to ruffle feathers. This may be a hard question to answer.Do you think Raceland wins this game if Mac is coaching the Rams?

No because in the History of Pikeville Football we always had a very Good Football Coach. So in my opinion even though I Love Coach Mac and think he is the Greatest Coach we've ever had besides Coach Howard, Pikeville would still have a Great Coach roaming the sidelines that would be able to take Avantage of all the Talent Pikeville has and still Win the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanatic42's post:
  • Belichick
(12-09-2023, 03:16 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

At the time Mayfield moved up to 2A they were the dominant team in 1A having won 4/5 titles in Class A between 2010 and 2014 and winning 2A their first year in that class in 2015.  Mayfield also completely owned Beechwood during that time.  Based off of those facts Beechwood was actually the biggest benefactor of Mayfield moving up while they were in 1A and I’m not sure their 3peat between 2016-2018 would have happened had Mayfield stayed in Class A.  That being said I think Pikeville still wins their 2015 title if Mayfield stayed in Class A.
Pikeville likely wins their titles in 2015, 2019, and 2022 anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Panther Thunder
(12-09-2023, 11:37 PM)Belichick Wrote:

Agree with this assessment.
Too many what ifs for my taste. I realize everyone still wants to talk football BUT
I won't even entertain conceding any Pikeville championships to anyone in in any class on games played on paper
Especially 2A
In my view Mayfield was just as lucky this year as Pikeville was to be in different classes
Watched the Mayfield/OC game and it was one of the best HS games I have I have ever seen
But defense wins championships and both defenses were very suspect to put it mildly
If Pikeville Mayfield and Beechwood are in the same class all 3 will win less championships, write it down and do all the what ifs
And I like my Belfry cousins but if Belfry is in the same class with those 3 they will never win another championship

BTW Pikeville 6th grade drilled Mayfield and won a state championship...
If it doesn't happen on the field I don't believe it
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Belichick, Big Five-0-
(12-09-2023, 11:37 PM)Belichick Wrote:

I agree with that. I was just operating under the assumption that Mayfield was still in 1A in 2015 but moved to 2A after that.
(12-02-2023, 01:02 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(12-02-2023, 12:18 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Pikeville may go on some crazy run of like 8 or 9 straight titles. 1A is bad and the only 2 teams who had a shot this season graduate a lot of their players and Pikeville returns a lot and just won the middle school state title. I know Pikeville fans probably disagree but I think it’s time Pikeville does what Mayfield and Beechwood done and move to 2A for competition purposes. They’ve proved about all they need to in 1A. Time for a new challenge.
If that's the case then why didn't Belfry move up to 4-A when they went on their long run of state titles? They proved all they needed to prove back in those days, right? It's so easy to accuse, criticize and abuse. Accept their accomplishments and let it go.

Or down to 2A
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
I think jet is right. Hard to know but all 3 of those great programs have less titles if they are in same division. Pikeville isn’t particularly close to moving to 2A by enrollment. I do think football will eventually move to 4-5 classes or more likely the districts will have to be bigger to guarantee teams games due to avoiding scheduling certain teams for RPI purposes. That’s another thread altogether but 1A isn’t getting away from Pikeville anytime soon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(12-10-2023, 01:14 PM)Belichick Wrote: I think jet is right. Hard to know but all 3 of those great programs have less titles if they are in same division. Pikeville isn’t particularly close to moving to 2A by enrollment. I do think football will eventually move to 4-5 classes or more likely the districts will have to be bigger to guarantee teams games due to avoiding scheduling certain teams for RPI purposes. That’s another thread altogether but 1A isn’t getting away from Pikeville anytime soon.
This may not be a popular opinion in Ramland but had football stayed 4 classes Raceland wouldn’t be a relevant program at the state level.  I know this because I played in that class system and 1A was no joke and it would be no joke now if that system was still in place.  When I played in the early 2000’s 1A consisted of Beechwood, Mayfield, LCA, Pikeville, and the Danville & NCC dynasties.  We were barely an after thought in that system and struggled against the top tier teams in that class much like that same struggle exists now with the only difference being there are less high level teams to contend with in the current system.
(12-10-2023, 06:02 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 01:14 PM)Belichick Wrote: I think jet is right. Hard to know but all 3 of those great programs have less titles if they are in same division. Pikeville isn’t particularly close to moving to 2A by enrollment. I do think football will eventually move to 4-5 classes or more likely the districts will have to be bigger to guarantee teams games due to avoiding scheduling certain teams for RPI purposes. That’s another thread altogether but 1A isn’t getting away from Pikeville anytime soon.
This may not be a popular opinion in Ramland but had football stayed 4 classes Raceland wouldn’t be a relevant program at the state level.  I know this because I played in that class system and 1A was no joke and it would be no joke now if that system was still in place.  When I played in the early 2000’s 1A consisted of Beechwood, Mayfield, LCA, Pikeville, and the Danville & NCC dynasties.  We were barely an after thought in that system and struggled against the top tier teams in that class much like that same struggle exists now with the only difference being there are less high level teams to contend with in the current system.
I can remember Lynn Camp having some good teams back then too. Hazard and Williamsburg were solid as well. In the 4 class system you just rarely seen blowouts from the 3rd round on. Middlesboro was a very good 1A team in the late 90s/early 2000’s until they went to 2a. Belfry played them there in round 3 on their way to the state championship in 03.
(12-10-2023, 07:08 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 06:02 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
I can remember Lynn Camp having some good teams back then too. Hazard and Williamsburg were solid as well. In the 4 class system you just rarely seen blowouts from the 3rd round on. Middlesboro was a very good 1A team in the late 90s/early 2000’s until they went to 2a. Belfry played them there in round 3 on their way to the state championship in 03.
Fairview had some good teams too between 2002-2005.  Their best team was in 2003 when they had Chris Jennings who would later have stints with the Browns and the Jets.  He was an absolute man amongst boys on the field as a high school player.