Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 2024
(12-08-2023, 11:46 AM)Redneck Wrote: The same things are being brought up when I ask Pburg folks about the program. What  I’ve learned is that there are too many folks that spend more time trying to get rid of Brewer and going behind his back, rather than jumping on board and supporting him. Those folks are poison to a program. From the grade school up, Pburg has alumni that were very good players themselves, trying to help bring Pburg football back. From flag all the way up through middle school. Well known guys, guys that were key players on that 2001 State Runner-Up team, guys that know what it takes to get to that level. Those guys believe in Brewer. Maybe everyone else should jump on board. Just my 2 cents.
I’ve been hearing a lot of people in the community have been scheduling meetings with the Principal at the High School wanting Brewer to be fired. If this is true, it’s a toxic situation to say the least.
Last year as an outsider looking in, I thought P Burg had a great season with the amount of youth they had. After reading these comments I’m seeing a completely different light shining onto the program than what I would’ve expected. The Paintsville game hurt, sure and they should have been able to beat FC but as far as losing to Betsey Layne that doesn’t seem like a negative to me. I knew that there wasn’t much chance for P Burg to win that game. BL just had the stars aline last season and had one of the better teams that they’ve had in years! The year before you could see it taking shape. Next season will probably be a different story for BL with kids graduating. P Burg has some good young players. I think it’s going to be fine but it does sound like some are trying to cause issues within and that’s never a good thing for a program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blue_Bird96's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I would like to see Prestonsburg return to their glory days! Mountain football is always better when Prestonsburg is strong.
If that weight room is as empty as it has been this winter, then fans need to expect more of the same. I asked another old timer this question, “We’re you a football player who went to Prestonsburg or a student at Prestonsburg who played football?” That’s the difference. Who are you?
The addition of Johnny Ray Harris to the staff is a huge asset, I hope Brewer listens to him. Newsome desperately needs someone to help him with the offensive and defensive line. It’s too much responsibility for just one coach.
As an old blackcat, I hope and pray this year is the one where Brewer turns the corner and Prestonsburg once again becomes a team that opponents dread to see on their schedule.
As for transfer, let them go. If you and your parents can’t stick around and change things then you probably don’t need to be there in the first place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hawg laig's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(01-01-2024, 03:22 PM)hawg laig Wrote: If that weight room is as empty as it has been this winter, then fans need to expect more of the same. I asked another old timer this question, “We’re you a football player who went to Prestonsburg or a student at Prestonsburg who played football?” That’s the difference. Who are you?
The addition of Johnny Ray Harris to the staff is a huge asset, I hope Brewer listens to him. Newsome desperately needs someone to help him with the offensive and defensive line. It’s too much responsibility for just one coach.
As an old blackcat, I hope and pray this year is the one where Brewer turns the corner and  Prestonsburg once again becomes a team that opponents dread to see on their schedule.
As for transfer, let them go. If you and your parents can’t stick around and change things then you probably don’t need to be there in the first place.
Who is Johnny Ray Harris?
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
(01-01-2024, 03:22 PM)hawg laig Wrote: If that weight room is as empty as it has been this winter, then fans need to expect more of the same. I asked another old timer this question, “We’re you a football player who went to Prestonsburg or a student at Prestonsburg who played football?” That’s the difference. Who are you?
As an old blackcat, I hope and pray this year is the one where Brewer turns the corner and  Prestonsburg once again becomes a team that opponents dread to see on their schedule.
I don't think we need to encourage parents and players to leave the program. You have to ask yourself, who are we going to replace those players with? We all experienced the mass exodus that gifted Paintsville a state championship, and set our program back years in which we haven't fully recovered. I don't want to experience that again. Our program can't recover if this happens again. Believe me, I don't like it when people threaten to leave, especially when they don't get their way, but with the state of the program I can't blame parents for being frustrated and looking for better opportunities for their children. 

The culture needs to change, and it can't be more evident by the weight room being empty!
A previous poster mentioned that Johnny Ray Harris had joined the staff. He was a player/coach under Chuke Williams at P-burg then served on his staff as an assistant during his time at Lawrence County. He coached D-1 players and D-1 coaches. I believe some of his former players coach at the professional level. He has coached youth football for over a decade and is devoted to helping kids.

As far as transfers, the exodus in 2015, was due to a toxic environment. Parents didn’t want their kids blamed when the coaches screw up. Currently it’s an attempt to move from an apathetic environment. Coaches and especially players can change that but it takes courage and commitment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hawg laig's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I just heard from a good source that Coach Brewer resigned? Has anyone else heard this?
(01-09-2024, 07:17 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I just heard from a good source that Coach Brewer resigned? Has anyone else heard this?

It’s official
Jordan Ray be hired before the weeks over?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(01-09-2024, 10:28 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Jordan Ray be hired before the weeks over?
State law requires the job to be posted and open for 10-14 days I believe before an official hire can be named.
Would Jared Jarrell be a name in the mix? He has had success at Betsy Layne and graduated from there. Don’t even know if he’d be interested but have to think he’d be considered if he was
(12-08-2023, 11:19 AM)Upnorth Wrote: Alot of optimism it seems. I feel like they will be a little down next year compared to this year.  This was one of Coach Brewers best seasons. Anyone know what they’re doing right now?  They should probably looked next door at a team like JC and see what they did to turn their program around. Try to mimic that.
I’m a retired football coach from Northern Kentucky. I had the honor of knowing Coach Matney for a long time. I followed his great career at JC as well as SCHS. Matney built his teams through their wrestling program. I believe JC is still using his blueprint to this day. Does Prestonsburg have a wrestling team? If so did Brewer support it? In Northern Ky all of our wrestling teams are embraced by the football coaches and full of football players. If Prestonsburg doesn’t have a team maybe look at hiring a coach that has a wrestling background to start one.
Brewer is as good a person as he is a coach. That’s rare in today’s world. I think this is a big mistake.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 14th Official's post:
  • waughdaddy59