Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer Portal and NIL
I hate the transfer portal.  That along with the NIL has ruined college football.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Old School Hound
We are seeing the ruination of sports at ALL levels. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame kids for taking the money thrown at them but big money will be the demise of sport. The college football and basketball that I grew up watching and loving is gone forever! Remember when the Cotton Bowl was just "The Cotton Bowl "? Now , it's called "The Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic. " The granddaddy of them all used to be just the Rose Bowl. Now it's "The Rose Bowl presented by Prudential." Absolutely and utterly disgusting !!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Gitback Coach, Westside
(12-04-2023, 05:12 PM)Westside Wrote: I hate the transfer portal.  That along with the NIL has ruined college football.

How so?

I think it has finally given players control over their collegiate career.  They can now make choices that are best for them.  Its made the game more competitive as well.
(12-06-2023, 09:28 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 05:12 PM)Westside Wrote: I hate the transfer portal.  That along with the NIL has ruined college football.

How so?

I think it has finally given players control over their collegiate career.  They can now make choices that are best for them.  Its made the game more competitive as well.

Because players are transferring 2 and 3 times now.  Signing with a school means nothing.  Smaller FBS and FCS schools not only have to worrying about recruiting new players, they now have to recruit the players that are already on their roster.  I don't mind players having some say, but things are completely out of control.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Old School Hound
(12-06-2023, 11:27 PM)Westside Wrote:

How so?

Because players are transferring 2 and 3 times now.  Signing with a school means nothing.  Smaller FBS and FCS schools not only have to worrying about recruiting new players, they now have to recruit the players that are already on their roster.  I don't mind players having some say, but things are completely out of control.

Schools can cut a scholarship at the end of every semester, whats the difference? If a player doesnt want to be at a school, why should they be forced to stay there, why would that team want them to stay there?       People not apart of the situation, cant handle the situation.
(12-07-2023, 11:55 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

How so?

Schools can cut a scholarship at the end of every semester, whats the difference? If a player doesnt want to be at a school, why should they be forced to stay there, why would that team want them to stay there?       People not apart of the situation, cant handle the situation.

And that is exactly what is wrong not only with sports, but with society now days.  Even if you have given your word and commit, now if things aren't going your way, you shouldn't have to.  As far as players being cut, that hardly ever happened unless there was a major reason to do so before the NIL.  Selfish coaches like Prime, who I could never stand as a player or coach because of his selfish demeanor, made that popular.
(12-08-2023, 09:00 AM)Westside Wrote:

How so?

And that is exactly what is wrong not only with sports, but with society now days.  Even if you have given your word and commit, now if things aren't going your way, you shouldn't have to.  As far as players being cut, that hardly ever happened unless there was a major reason to do so before the NIL.  Selfish coaches like Prime, who I could never stand as a player or coach because of his selfish demeanor, made that popular.

Life situations change every second of every day, why should players have the ability to change their situation, specifically if the situation is different from what they originally signed up for.
(12-08-2023, 01:39 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 09:28 PM)plantmanky Wrote: How so?

Life situations change every second of every day, why should players have the ability to change their situation, specifically if the situation is different from what they originally signed up for.

As I stated earlier the pendulum has swung too far.  Things are completely out of control.
(12-08-2023, 02:47 PM)Westside Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 11:27 PM)Westside Wrote: Because players are transferring 2 and 3 times now.  Signing with a school means nothing.  Smaller FBS and FCS schools not only have to worrying about recruiting new players, they now have to recruit the players that are already on their roster.  I don't mind players having some say, but things are completely out of control.

As I stated earlier the pendulum has swung too far.  Things are completely out of control.

Yeah, and and I'm afraid it's never gonna swing back the other way. Only gonna get more and more out of control. It's not like NIL and transfer portal really results in us getting an elite product.
(12-08-2023, 11:20 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-07-2023, 11:55 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Schools can cut a scholarship at the end of every semester, whats the difference? If a player doesnt want to be at a school, why should they be forced to stay there, why would that team want them to stay there?       People not apart of the situation, cant handle the situation.

Yeah, and and I'm afraid it's never gonna swing back the other way. Only gonna get more and more out of control. It's not like NIL and transfer portal really results in us getting an elite product.

The product wasnt elite  before NIL and Transfer Portal.
(12-10-2023, 10:52 AM)plantmanky Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 09:00 AM)Westside Wrote: And that is exactly what is wrong not only with sports, but with society now days.  Even if you have given your word and commit, now if things aren't going your way, you shouldn't have to.  As far as players being cut, that hardly ever happened unless there was a major reason to do so before the NIL.  Selfish coaches like Prime, who I could never stand as a player or coach because of his selfish demeanor, made that popular.

I never said that it was, but it is much worse now.
(12-10-2023, 11:19 AM)Westside Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 10:52 AM)plantmanky Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 01:39 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Life situations change every second of every day, why should players have the ability to change their situation, specifically if the situation is different from what they originally signed up for.

I never said that it was, but it is much worse now.
 Yep, we are getting a much worse product than we did when I was a kid. "Free agency" is not helping collegiate athletics.  

In other news, Shohei Ohtani signed with.....  yep , you guessed it,   the Dodgers for 700 million. I've not watched a non-Reds game in years. Big market teams have such an unfair advantage. Big money...BIG problem!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
Well when you were a kid forward pass was illegal so.............. transfer portal and NIL give players the ability to be in charge of their situation.
Congrats to grant Bingham, committed to UPIKE
(12-08-2023, 01:39 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [quote pid="2437486" dateline="1702036843"]
(12-06-2023, 09:28 PM)plantmanky Wrote: How so?

[/quote]

(01-09-2024, 10:09 AM)TigerBlues Wrote: Congrats to grant Bingham, committed to UPIKE

like I said.........