Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Pikeville 2024
(01-15-2024, 05:37 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 03:18 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 10:10 AM)Belichick Wrote: Anthony would have to average 20-25 carries a game while also playing LB on defense and stay healthy doing all that. Unless Pikeville just has a concerted effort to try to get that award for him, Mr. Football isn’t going to happen. He’s good enough and in shape enough but that isn’t the way they play either. That’s not a selfish football team. Several kids who could be stars on other teams and put up big numbers sacrifice and play a role on a team like that for rings. They’ll make sure he has adequate rest going into postseason and go win 4 in a row. That’s how they work.
I can’t love this enough. Pikeville over the last 10 years has had kids that would’ve had monster stats at nearby schools but chose to win titles vs being the biggest fish in a mud hole. I’ve watched a few neighboring schools have kids put up crazy stats and that kid maybe not even been a starter at Pikeville and I chuckle. But hey to each their own…..do you wanna be a big stat guy and never sniff a state title or do you wanna be a team guy and win multiple rings? Everyone has different agendas. Decide who you are? If you’re a me guy go to whatever school not named Pikeville…..if you want to play at Kroger and get Rings and put your stats on the back burner then wear maroon. Simple. I just speak the truth, if you don’t like it then scroll on.

I don’t think it makes a kid selfish to stay and play for the school they grew up in and play with the guys they went to school with their whole life. Not being a ring chaser by transferring doesn’t mean you’re a selfish player. It could just mean you’re loyal to your hometown, family, and friends.
Actually I can respect that. If it’s a quality team playing quality opponents and you’re a kid that really loves football then yes I understand sticking it out with your friends and your school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • Waitaminute
(01-15-2024, 09:42 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 10:10 AM)Belichick Wrote: Anthony would have to average 20-25 carries a game while also playing LB on defense and stay healthy doing all that. Unless Pikeville just has a concerted effort to try to get that award for him, Mr. Football isn’t going to happen. He’s good enough and in shape enough but that isn’t the way they play either. That’s not a selfish football team. Several kids who could be stars on other teams and put up big numbers sacrifice and play a role on a team like that for rings. They’ll make sure he has adequate rest going into postseason and go win 4 in a row. That’s how they work.
I can’t love this enough. Pikeville over the last 10 years has had kids that would’ve had monster stats at nearby schools but chose to win titles vs being the biggest fish in a mud hole. I’ve watched a few neighboring schools have kids put up crazy stats and that kid maybe not even been a starter at Pikeville and I chuckle. But hey to each their own…..do you wanna be a big stat guy and never sniff a state title or do you wanna be a team guy and win multiple rings? Everyone has different agendas. Decide who you are? If you’re a me guy go to whatever school not named Pikeville…..if you want to play at Kroger and get Rings and put your stats on the back burner then wear maroon. Simple. I just speak the truth, if you don’t like it then scroll on.

I don’t think it makes a kid selfish to stay and play for the school they grew up in and play with the guys they went to school with their whole life. Not being a ring chaser by transferring doesn’t mean you’re a selfish player. It could just mean you’re loyal to your hometown, family, and friends.
Actually I can respect that. If it’s a quality team playing quality opponents and you’re a kid that really loves football then yes I understand sticking it out with your friends and your school.

Not saying there’s a right or wrong way to do it. Each kid and family is in a different position. Appreciate your response! People like OSH and JP make the site toxic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • Diogenes
(01-15-2024, 09:47 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 09:42 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote:

Not saying there’s a right or wrong way to do it. Each kid and family is in a different position. Appreciate your response! People like OSH and JP make the site toxic.
LOL only one trolling here is you. Trolling then whining, good job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • The 99
JP is a realist and will give credit where it’s due. Eat his Crowe when he has to. He loves the Panthers and doesn’t back down about it. To say he is toxic is regurgitated sour grapes imo.
[-] The following 2 users Like ArmChairHC's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
JP and OSH are the same person. Only difference is JP’s team wins more.
(01-15-2024, 10:24 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: JP and OSH are the same person. Only difference is JP’s team wins more.

LOL
(01-11-2024, 11:50 PM)RTruth Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 10:15 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Any word on if Duty is playing next season? I know some mentioned on here he plans to focus solely on baseball being a legit D1 pitching prospect and have heard some even say he could be a late round draft pick. I don’t know the young man but I’d think he’d want the chance to do what few have ever done which is win 4 state titles

He is playing as far as I know. I know that might change as baseball and summer baseball get going though, SEC schools start calling he might change his mind
With his exceptional baseball skills i can understand his possible sitting out in the upcoming football season, but being an avid PHS football fan i guess I'm a little selfish and hope he plays football and helps bring home the 4th title. (8th overall)  Best of luck to him at whatever he chooses. Super-fine young man!
(01-15-2024, 11:42 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 10:15 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Any word on if Duty is playing next season? I know some mentioned on here he plans to focus solely on baseball being a legit D1 pitching prospect and have heard some even say he could be a late round draft pick. I don’t know the young man but I’d think he’d want the chance to do what few have ever done which is win 4 state titles

He is playing as far as I know. I know that might change as baseball and summer baseball get going though, SEC schools start calling he might change his mind
With his exceptional baseball skills i can understand his possible sitting out in the upcoming football season, but being an avid PHS football fan i guess I'm a little selfish and hope he plays football and helps bring home the 4th title. (8th overall)  Best of luck to him at whatever he chooses. Super-fine young man!
Would be 9th overall! They are coming so fast we can't keep up lol!
  • Big Five-0-
I could be completely wrong but Duty is a competitor, and for him to win 4 straight titles would be a major accomplishment and one I think he will have an appetite for. I’ll be honest when I say that I’ve never heard of any college coach telling a kid to not play a sport, usually it’s the opposite….most college coaches want multi sport athletes. I remember a few years back when Moore, who now pitches for UK and had an absolutely amazing season, dominated on the hard wood his senior season. Sometimes some football kids will early enroll during the winter break if they can graduate early and go ahead and get into their college football program but that’s usually the only time you see a kid not playing whatever other sport they may play in high school outside their college focus sport.
  • Big Five-0-
(01-16-2024, 12:13 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 11:42 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

Would be 9th overall! They are coming so fast we can't keep up lol!
Lol! You are exactly right my friend! I was counting them up on my fingers and missed one. True, they're coming faster than we think!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
Finally got to tour all of Pikeville’s facilities last week and all I can say is WOW…unbelievable for a small high school.

The kids were already hard at work in the weight room and the indoor practice facility…no coaches were present but the kids were putting in the work regardless.

Heard a few rumors that some impact transfers are wanting to join the program.

With their schedule they will take a loss or two but will absolutely steamroll thru the Class A playoffs with no ending in sight after 2024.
[-] The following 6 users Like Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Bull got out!, Colonel4Life1999, Fanatic42, jetpilot, Panther Thunder
I've heard Pikeville got the contract back from Ironton, so the game is set. One-year deal. Ironton will be coming to Pikeville. Not sure the date, I've heard 9/27 or 10/4.
[-] The following 2 users Like Buffs19's post:
  • Gargamels, jetpilot
(02-05-2024, 04:50 PM)Buffs19 Wrote: I've heard Pikeville got the contract back from Ironton, so the game is set.  One-year deal.  Ironton will be coming to Pikeville. Not sure the date, I've heard 9/27 or 10/4.

Pikeville's 1st 6 games  Huh
@ Corbin
Vs. Johnson Central
@ LCA
@ Raceland
Vs. Belfry
Vs Ironton
[-] The following 6 users Like Gargamels's post:
  • Belichick, Big Five-0-, Bull got out!, DavidMCox, Fanatic42, jetpilot
Is it August yet ! Smile  Can t hardly wait !
[-] The following 3 users Like DavidMCox's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot, Micro-Brew
Was browsing through the KHSAA page and glanced at Pikeville’s 2023 total stats. Lord there’s a ton of production returning on both sides of the ball. If those key guys stay healthy, going to be another long year for Single A teams again not named Pikeville.
  • DavidMCox
Anthony really showed last year what “that one type of player” can do in 1A ball. Dont get me wrong he was a multi-class type of talent (meaning he was good against all size classes, not just vs 1A opponents). But Pikeville had 252 total yards against Raceland the first match up and he damn near did that on his own on the ground in the championship game. On paper Pikeville looks like they are arguably a one trick pony. Problem is, when a program is as well coached, disciplined, trained and prepared as the Panthers always are, have a one trick pony type player like Anthony is all they really need tbh. I do anticipate them to be a little more balanced next year in most games offensively. But when it comes down to the wire, they will feed the beast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArmChairHC's post:
  • DavidMCox
(02-15-2024, 08:57 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Anthony really showed last year what “that one type of player” can do in 1A ball. Dont get me wrong he was a multi-class type of talent (meaning he was good against all size classes, not just vs 1A opponents). But Pikeville had 252 total yards against Raceland the first match up and he damn near did that on his own on the ground in the championship game. On paper Pikeville looks like they are arguably a one trick pony. Problem is, when a program is as well coached, disciplined, trained and prepared as the Panthers always are, have a one trick pony type player like Anthony is all they really need tbh. I do anticipate them to be a little more balanced next year in most games offensively. But when it comes down to the wire, they will feed the beast.

Far from it. Of course they will feed the beast, nobody can stop him. But 2024 Pikeville team is super stacked and will have studs all over the field.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-, DavidMCox
I look for the Panthers to use a multitude of kids in the backfield early in the season to keep Anthony healthy until Money Time in November and December, also he’s just as important on the defensive side of the ball and that’s where his college future is at. They’ll slowly get him into full game shape on both sides of the ball and do their best to keep him healthy. I want to see the passing game to take a step back forward because they’ve got all weapons to be stellar there as well. Armchair said it right, more balanced is what I’m hoping to see offensively this year. Not that the passing game was bad last year but it didn’t seem as fluid as it had been in the past.
But Jet is correct just because Anthony was the bell cow, I promise there are studs everywhere for this team, and lots are very very young. The early season schedule brings some big excitement to look forward to and will prepare any newcomers to the lineup for another deep playoff run. A 4 peat is square in the crosshairs.
[-] The following 3 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • Big Five-0-, DavidMCox, jetpilot
So glad to see Ironton coming to Hambley this fall. I may be wrong but to my knowledge Pikeville and Ironton has never been scheduled to play except for last fall when either the JR high, or JV played at Hambley. Don't know who won that one. but I was told Ironton had an excellent team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Buffs19, Micro-Brew
(02-16-2024, 12:38 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote: So glad to see Ironton coming to Hambley this fall. I may be wrong but to my knowledge Pikeville and Ironton has never been scheduled to play except for last fall when either the JR high, or JV played at Hambley. Don't know who won that one. but I was told Ironton had an excellent team.

It was a JV game and Pikeville won.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoR_58's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(02-16-2024, 01:54 AM)VoR_58 Wrote:
(02-16-2024, 12:38 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote: So glad to see Ironton coming to Hambley this fall. I may be wrong but to my knowledge Pikeville and Ironton has never been scheduled to play except for last fall when either the JR high, or JV played at Hambley. Don't know who won that one. but I was told Ironton had an excellent team.

It was a JV game and Pikeville won.
Thanks VoR_58. Glad to hear they won and Looking for a great game against there varsity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • DavidMCox
Pikeville isn't losing to any Class A competition any time soon if the current alignment stays the way it is.
(02-16-2024, 01:06 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Pikeville isn't losing to any Class A competition any time soon if the current alignment stays the way it is.
Hazard seems to be on a fast upward trend. Watched their middle school last season and they are good. And they may have their own Anthony with the Adams kid. And he’s not the only one. They have several good athletes. Not saying next year but wouldn’t surprise me to see that group competing in 1A in 2025 after Anthony and his class are gone. They beat Belfry and Pikeville in middle school. Plus they got a new coach who come from a winning program
Dating back to 2018, Pikeville has lost 3 games to Class A opponents; Beechwood in the state title game in 2018, the Hazard upset in 2020, and the regular season matchup with Raceland this past season. Since the 2018 season, their combined record is 67-12 with 4 state championships and 1 runner-up. While their run has been incredible, there have been some very close matchups with Class A opponents during that time.

2019 - beat Paintsville by 1 in the regular season; beat Raceland by 6 in the regular season
2021 - beat Russellville by 3 in the state title game
2023 - beat Campbellsville by 7 in the state semis game

All of those games could have gone the other way for Pikeville. I'm still shocked they won the 2021 title game, that Russellville team was very, very good. Long story short, while Pikeville has been dominant during their recent run, I still expect a few Class A teams to challenge them next year and for years to come. Will Pikeville be the favorite next year, absolutely. But they've only gone undefeated once during their run (2019), and they were still challenged that year.
There is no competition in 1A. Join 4A you cowards!!!!!!
(02-15-2024, 09:20 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-15-2024, 08:57 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Anthony really showed last year what “that one type of player” can do in 1A ball. Dont get me wrong he was a multi-class type of talent (meaning he was good against all size classes, not just vs 1A opponents). But Pikeville had 252 total yards against Raceland the first match up and he damn near did that on his own on the ground in the championship game. On paper Pikeville looks like they are arguably a one trick pony. Problem is, when a program is as well coached, disciplined, trained and prepared as the Panthers always are, have a one trick pony type player like Anthony is all they really need tbh. I do anticipate them to be a little more balanced next year in most games offensively. But when it comes down to the wire, they will feed the beast.

Far from it. Of course they will feed the beast, nobody can stop him. But 2024 Pikeville team is super stacked and will have studs all over the field.

That’s my point JP. You look at stats vs their toughest opponents and he is the bell cow that gets things done. But, Pikeville has plenty of kids that make them a championship caliber team, without Anthony. With him there, it’s pretty much good luck to anyone else in 1A. Gotta have a kid that can go toe to toe with him on explosive plays or a team that can spread the wealth and score in bulk.

Also wanted to state that I would be shocked to see a multi-state title winning, starting QB, skip his senior season unless Duty starts getting big time offers on the diamond. I just can’t see any truth to the rumor of him sitting this one out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArmChairHC's post:
  • Buffs19
(02-16-2024, 01:14 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(02-16-2024, 01:06 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Pikeville isn't losing to any Class A competition any time soon if the current alignment stays the way it is.
Hazard seems to be on a fast upward trend. Watched their middle school last season and they are good. And they may have their own Anthony with the Adams kid. And he’s not the only one. They have several good athletes. Not saying next year but wouldn’t surprise me to see that group competing in 1A in 2025 after Anthony and his class are gone. They beat Belfry and Pikeville in middle school. Plus they got a new coach who come from a winning program

I agree Hazard's middle school was legit and beat Pikeville and Belfry and pretty easy at that if I'm not mistaken.

That is still a few years away and Hazard may be the team to beat in Class A, but would that be in 2027 I believe and I would kinda be  surprised if Pikeville isn't coming off a 6 peat going into 2027.  If Hazard can keep that Class together and Pikeville doesn't close the talent gap, which I expect they will but how much who knows, then Hazard has a chance and may be the frontrunner that season.
(02-16-2024, 01:55 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote:
(02-15-2024, 09:20 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

That’s my point JP. You look at stats vs their toughest opponents and he is the bell cow that gets things done. But, Pikeville has plenty of kids that make them a championship caliber team, without Anthony. With him there, it’s pretty much good luck to anyone else in 1A. Gotta have a kid that can go toe to toe with him on explosive plays or a team that can spread the wealth and score in bulk.

Also wanted to state that I would be shocked to see a multi-state title winning, starting QB, skip his senior season unless Duty starts getting big time offers on the diamond. I just can’t see any truth to the rumor of him sitting this one out.
Why would that affect him sitting out? Corbin qb is committed to Louisville for baseball. The Grundy kid at Somerset a few years ago had signed with Louisville for baseball but still played football. No reason not to play if he wants to.
(02-16-2024, 01:14 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Hazard isn't on any upward trend, they won 1 game in 2023 and averaged less than 7 points a game. They are at the bottom of the mountain with a very steep climb. One good junior high team doesn't begin to fix it but Hazard could definitely get back in the mix with a couple of good classes at the HS level.
(02-16-2024, 01:28 PM)Buffs19 Wrote: Dating back to 2018, Pikeville has lost 3 games to Class A opponents; Beechwood in the state title game in 2018, the Hazard upset in 2020, and the regular season matchup with Raceland this past season.  Since the 2018 season, their combined record is 67-12 with 4 state championships and 1 runner-up.  While their run has been incredible, there have been some very close matchups with Class A opponents during that time.

2019 - beat Paintsville by 1 in the regular season; beat Raceland by 6 in the regular season
2021 - beat Russellville by 3 in the state title game
2023 - beat Campbellsville by 7 in the state semis game

All of those games could have gone the other way for Pikeville.  I'm still shocked they won the 2021 title game, that Russellville team was very, very good.  Long story short, while Pikeville has been dominant during their recent run, I still expect a few Class A teams to challenge them next year and for years to come.  Will Pikeville be the favorite next year, absolutely.  But they've only gone undefeated once during their run (2019), and they were still challenged that year.
You made the case for glass being half full for the rest of Class A. I will make the case for half empty.

2019 - beat Paintsville 43-0 in running clock Championship game. Outscored opponents 178-33 in the playoffs. Most points were given up by 2nd team defense.
2020 - laid an egg in Covid year for whatever reason.
2021- won 9 straight down the stretch in taking the title. 193-61 in playoffs. Cruised to a big lead and never trailed in the championship game. Shut Russellville stud RB down then a kid who had 1 TD started getting the ball and broke a couple TDs. Props to Russellville. Pikeville was the better team.
2022 - Pikeville wins 12 straight down the stretch and gets the back to back titles. 240-38 in the playoffs in 5 straight blowouts.
2023 - Pikeville wins 10 straight down the stretch for the 3-peat. Avenges 1 point loss to Raceland with 21-0 shutout in the Championship game. 174-41 in the playoffs. Beat a tough team in Campbellsville on the road in semis. Never trailed, took a knee on goal line at the end. Props to Campbellsville. Pikeville was the better team.
2024 - Pikeville roster stacked as much, maybe even more.

Of course there will be other good teams in Class A. Just going to take a monster game from a monster Class A team to knock Pikeville off the throne.
  • Buffs19