Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2024
Roster 2023
37 Jonah Arnett WR, DB Fr. 78 Hayden Hunt OL, DL Jr.
11 Brody Austin WR, DB Sr. 14 - 8 Parker Ison QB, DB So.
61 Zane Bailey OL, DL Sr. 9 Elias Jackson OL, DL Sr.
12 Cameron Bell WR, LB Sr. 33 Levi Lewis RB, LB Jr.
80 Zavier Birch WR, DB Fr. 75 Jacob Litteral OL, DL So.
74 Caleb Black OL, DL Sr. 8 Kenneth Litteral RB, LB Jr.
34 Landon Bloss RB, LB Fr. 19 Logan Lockwood RB, LB So.
51 Carson Bowden OL, DL So. 53 Isaac Love OL, LB Sr.
40 Cameron Brewer RB, DB Fr. 7 Logan Lundy QB Sr.
28 Isaac Browning RB, LB Sr. 52 Shannon Marushi OL, DL So.
85 Brody Brumfield WR, LB Fr. 15 Austin McKee QB, DB Jr.
65 Evan Burroughs OL, DL Jr. 66 Cam Moore OL, DL Fr.
26 Max Burton WR, DB So. 5 Brady Murrell RB, LB So.
54 Noah Carey OL, LB Sr. 13 Bryer Parsons WR, DB Jr.
44 Preston Coldiron RB, LB Fr. 24 Stephen Pennington WR, LB So.
84 Keaton Corns RB, LB Jr. 32 Ethan Richmond WR, DB Jr.
58 Chase Correll OL, DL Sr. 1 Bryson Rowsey WR, DB So.
72 Chris Crum OL, DL Fr. 55 Linden Sammons OL, DL Jr.
45 Brigham Davidson WR, DB Fr. 59 Kadin Shore OL, DL Jr.
22 Isaiah Dinger RB, DB So. 56 Christopher Spradlin OL, DL So.
67 Dylan Dull OL, DL So. 62 Talon Stanley PK Sr.
76 Garrett Elkins OL, DL Fr. 63 Jorden Stewart OL, DL Fr.
71 Jentzen Epling OL, DL Fr. 20 Landen Stiltner RB, LB Fr.
82 Eli Evans WR, DB Fr. 77 Brycen Tuell OL, DL Fr.
10 Parker Fannin WR, DB Sr. 3 Marshall Tyson WR, LB Sr.
23 Landyn Goodall WR, DB So. 60 Ian Vance OL, DL So.
16 Dylan Hall WR, DB Jr. 2 Noah Wallace RB, DB Sr.
64 Alex Harr OL, DL So. 31 Jacob Waller QB, DB Fr.
68 David Headlee OL, DL Fr. 35 Brayden Webb WR, LB Sr.
4 Jaxon Heighton RB, LB Sr. 25 Scout Wilks WR, DB Fr.
57 Matthew Hughes OL, LB Jr. 47 Jackson Winters RB, LB Fr.

Raceland 2023 Schedule
Record 11-4

Aug 18, 23 Ashland Blazer away (L) 21 - 28 
Aug 25, 23 Letcher County Central away (W) 40 - 20 
Sep 8, 23 Pikeville away (W) 7 - 6 
Sep 15, 23 Highlands home (L) 0 - 40 
Sep 22, 23 Newport Central Catholic home (W) 40 - 14 
Sep 29, 23 Hazard away (W) 43 - 0 
Oct 6, 23 Fairview home (W) 67 - 0 
Oct 13, 23 Paris home (W) 43 - 13 
Oct 20, 23 Nicholas County away (W) 49 - 14 
Oct 27, 23 Lexington Christian home (L) 21 - 48 
Nov 3, 23 Berea home (W) 1 - 0 Class 1A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals(Forfeit)
Nov 10, 23 Frankfort home (W) 61 - 19  Class 1A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 17, 23 Sayre away (W) 42 - 27 Class 1A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 24, 23 Kentucky Country Day away (W) 42 - 6 Class 1A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Dec 1, 23 Pikeville at Kroger Field, Lexington (L) 0 - 21 Class 1A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football FinalsClass 1A Championship Game
https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k.../?id=89895

2024 Thoughts?
Next season will be a rebuilding year after losing several key starters. The 2024 version of the Rams will take some lumps due to having a lot of new faces is key roles but should still win the district and make it to at least the Regional Championship in the playoffs.
First “rebuilding” type year Raceland has had in sometime. Sophomore class is very talented though. Lose a great deal of skill position kids as well as a lot on the defensive side of the ball. Really a lot of positions to be replaced. But the goal doesn’t change. I don’t see things being drastically different though from a success standpoint. We will definitely know more about the PROGRAM after the 2024 season as this roster doesn’t have anywhere near the expectations that the previous 2 have.

Questions are primarily at QB, safety, and LB for me. Both lines I expect to be as good, if not better.

Waller and McKee will be the QB, Waller is younger, not as physical but has a lot of experience in the offense, McKee is the better athelete and will be a senior. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. RB will be by committee I’m sure but Stiltner should be a big part of the run game. Safety and LB are huge losses and major holes to fill.
(12-11-2023, 12:16 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: First “rebuilding” type year Raceland has had in sometime. Sophomore class is very talented though. Lose a great deal of skill position kids as well as a lot on the defensive side of the ball. Really a lot of positions to be replaced. But the goal doesn’t change. I don’t see things being drastically different though from a success standpoint. We will definitely know more about the PROGRAM after the 2024 season as this roster doesn’t have anywhere near the expectations that the previous 2 have.

Questions are primarily at QB, safety, and LB for me. Both lines I expect to be as good, if not better.

Waller and McKee will be the QB, Waller is younger, not as physical but has a lot of experience in the offense, McKee is the better athelete and will be a senior. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. RB will be by committee I’m sure but Stiltner should be a big part of the run game. Safety and LB are huge losses and major holes to fill.
I didn’t know we had a safety on the team….hahah I’m playing ….kinda. It will be a fun year as a fan. There will no expectations.

Dang Bull….youve put a lot of time into this. Great job
What's the 2024 schedule look like, same as this past season?
(12-11-2023, 12:51 PM)Buffs19 Wrote: What's the 2024 schedule look like, same as this past season?
I couldn’t imagine there is a change.Last year was the beginning of the two year home and home contracts
I really thought this was the year Raceland grabbed their state title. They were my pick week one.
Schedule is identical in name. Only thing that changes is the location of the games. Schedule will be different in 2025. If I’m not mistaken though there are already games lined up for that season as well. Does anyone know when the new alignment comes into play? I know the current one was only a 2 or 3 year deal.

Returning WRs Rowsey and Ison are big play guys on offense. Both will return in the secondary along with McKee. I think McKee is a kid that has to see more time offensively, possibly at QB. But I don’t think it’s likely as he was probably our best CB last year. Arnett will improve a great deal and I look for him to become more involved in the offense as well. The cupboard is not bare by any stretch but there will be some bumps in the road with the schedule and at QB. This will also be the youngest team we have had in sometime.
Personally, I feel Raceland's program is at the level where they reload rather than rebuild. The turnaround time may not be as quick as others, but I don't think we'll see a year with a losing record or anything like that. Depending on how the RPI plays out next year, I could easily see the Rams back in the semis, and at that point, anyone can win and advance. Experience goes a long way in the Regions and Semis, and Raceland is just as experienced in that regard as any team in 1A.
Goina be tough to get to over .500. Non district games with Ashland, Pikeville, Highlands, and LCA. Goina have to win the district and against Hazard and NCC. I’m not sure what those two return but the other non district games will be extremely difficult.
(12-12-2023, 07:05 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Goina be tough to get to over .500. Non district games with Ashland, Pikeville, Highlands, and LCA. Goina have to win the district and against Hazard and NCC. I’m not sure what those two return but the other non district games will be extremely difficult.
Letcher will be tougher next season too.  They were a very young team this season and bring back a lot of experience.
Rams are always able to land a transfer or two, that can help things. 2024 may be no different.
Time for another holdback class?
(12-12-2023, 10:31 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Time for another holdback class?
Every class for every team that’s playing and winning championships are hold backs.
I may be wrong with this response, if I am please correct me…BUT…A hold back class wouldn’t do anything for anyone for the sake of next year. Covid rule allowed for holdbacks to have instant impact due to no sitting out. So any holdbacks now, have to happen by 8th grade at the latest. Otherwise the player will have to sit out a year if I’m not mistaken. That being said, it’s already happening all over, the 10th and 15th region have done it for decades. That’s why those mountain teams In rural areas can compete with the bigger city schools. So, imo, that argument is useless. Now, transfers are another thing all together. There have already been a handful, they are in the younger classes but they make those classes stronger. 6-8th grade athletics at Raceland have benefited from both transfers and holdbacks. It’s tough on some players and there’s parents that get bent out of shape over it, but it’s the world we live in now. I’m a parent of two boys that were affected by it, one of which has since taken advantage of it and he went from a reserved, insecure, and struggling student (in the lowest percentage of his class) to a confident young man that works harder than he ever has and is keeping a 3.0 now. So I have seen the direct benefits of it.
Rebuild, reload, call it what you want but Raceland will be lucky to go 5 and 5 next year. Their play in 2023 was very inconsistent, it will probably be worse in 2024 with the amount talent they will lose. What does the transfer portal bring? Who knows, but it won't be enough.
(01-04-2024, 04:27 PM)J. Jonah Jameson Wrote: Rebuild, reload, call it what you want but Raceland will be lucky to go 5 and 5 next year. Their play in 2023 was very inconsistent, it will probably be worse in 2024 with the amount talent they will lose. What does the transfer portal bring? Who knows, but it won't be enough.
I agree 2024 will be a tough year for Raceland and having a winning season may not be in the table with all that was lost.  What did you see that was inconsistent in 2023?  Having an 11-4 season in which the losses came against solid teams doesn’t seem like a bad year at all.  I’m not looking to argue but I am genuinely curious about your assessment.
I don’t think inconsistent is the right word. I do however, see a common thread if you look at our toughest games this season. And that is where do the points come from if we aren’t able to ground and pound. Grinding it out works when you play against teams that are more atheletic, but weaker. Which is what we were able to do against KCD and Sayre, eventually those body blows start taking its toll. And you start seeing the 25+ yard rushes. Problem is, against Ashland, Pikeville, Highlands, and LCA, it takes longer for the ground and pound to be affective, due to depth, strength, and speed of these type of teams.

We are in a spread system, but we are still going to run the ball first and foremost. It’ was Mikes identity as a player and it’s his mentality and philosophy as a play caller. And one thing we have all said is Raceland has always lacked that “one guy” who could be a house call at any time. Which imo, is likely why we have had the approach we have had the last 20 years.

That being said, we have shown wrinkles, signs of growth, with the play calling here and there. I just think we have waited too long in the big games to take chances. Not chances with trick plays, but simply attacking the hashes and the soft parts of zone coverage. Get the ball out quick to the WRs, and get what you can. Those plays were there in the middle of the field in the championship game with Pikeville. We just didn’t take advantage of them and stuck to our guns too soon, Pikeville was able to capitalize on 3 drives because of it. But this isn’t about just one game.

Looking ahead, with the personnel coming up, imo we need to take a hard look at some RPO sets and develop the hell out of the intermediate passing game. Defensively, we gotta start getting more pressure off the edge and force QBs into some bad decisions.

We will have to beat a really solid Letcher County team next year to have a shot at being over .500 in the regular season. But truth be told, I just don’t see the outcome of the post season being much different. KCD wasn’t very good, Cville will likely have to get through Pikeville again, I don’t see them being as strong next year. Mboro has the same problem. I think Raceland is very capable of being knocked out early, but I just don’t see much other than parody for the next few years in 1A.
Raceland is the Corbin of 1a football. If you flew in from Texas to check out KY high school Football environments you would think Raceland and Corbin have won 30-40 state championships combined, and definitely more than 1.

You want to win championships and not rebuild or rob from peter to pay paul every year then you have to start building a winning environment and changing the mindset of kids in the program now and for generations to come. It's no coincidence that in the last 24 years Boyle has 12 State Championships with 3 different coaches. No different than Beechwood who did it with Rash and Yeagle over 30+ years.

Raceland and Corbin as good as they have been over the years have way underachieved with the talent and support they have had. You have to get the right guy to lead the program and change the mindset from maybe to no doubt. Pikeville kids knew they were going to win at kroger field. Raceland players thought they could win, and their is a huge difference.

Just my two cents, but if you're robbing kids from Fairview in Mid June you are not in the same place as the Big time programs.
When did we rob Fairview players mid-June?
(01-05-2024, 08:34 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: When did we rob Fairview players mid-June?
I think he was just using that as a example
(01-05-2024, 03:59 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: Raceland is the Corbin of 1a football. If you flew in from Texas to check out KY high school Football environments you would think Raceland and Corbin have won 30-40 state championships combined, and definitely more than 1.

You want to win championships and not rebuild or rob from peter to pay paul every year then you have to start building a winning environment and changing the mindset of kids in the program now and for generations to come. It's no coincidence that in the last 24 years Boyle has 12 State Championships with 3 different coaches. No different than Beechwood who did it with Rash and Yeagle over 30+ years.

Raceland and Corbin as good as they have been over the years have way underachieved with the talent and support they have had.  You have to get the right guy to lead the program and change the mindset from maybe to no doubt.  Pikeville kids knew they were going to win at kroger field.  Raceland players thought they could win, and their is a huge difference.

Just my two cents, but if you're robbing kids from Fairview in Mid June you are not in the same place as the Big time programs.
I may catch some flack for saying this but Raceland’s biggest problem has always simply been a lack of talent to seriously compete for a state title.   This goes back several decades.  

While Raceland now regularly makes deep playoff runs this wasn’t always the case when there were fewer Classes.  Prior to 2006 Raceland had only won 6 or 7 total program playoff wins in playing over 70 years of football.  This was because the program was simply outclassed by the NKY teams that it was matched up with in the playoffs.

Since the 6 class system went into effect I think the program has gotten a false sense of being better than what it really is because the competition level isn’t what it was 20 years ago due to Beechwood, NCC, and LCA no longer being playoff road blocks.

Now Pikeville is the new roadblock and the difference between our programs has been they have better athletes. This past season that gap was closer than what it has been but at the end of the season those differences showed when Brendon Anthony played in the rematch. Raceland is good for the current alignment but had more classes not been added the program would have continued being a second shelf type program and it continues getting exposed as such when faced with a legit championship program.
(01-04-2024, 10:08 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(01-04-2024, 04:27 PM)J. Jonah Jameson Wrote: Rebuild, reload, call it what you want but Raceland will be lucky to go 5 and 5 next year. Their play in 2023 was very inconsistent, it will probably be worse in 2024 with the amount talent they will lose. What does the transfer portal bring? Who knows, but it won't be enough.
I agree 2024 will be a tough year for Raceland and having a winning season may not be in the table with all that was lost.  What did you see that was inconsistent in 2023?  Having an 11-4 season in which the losses came against solid teams doesn’t seem like a bad year at all.  I’m not looking to argue but I am genuinely curious about your assessment.

They got destroyed in their loses, were a non competitive team in those games.   That has to be fixed.

Orange Blaze is hitting the nail, and its a problem for all of KY HS Football, only about 8-10 or so teams in each classification max are even above average competitive, and only about half of those teams are really Championship contenders.
(01-06-2024, 04:10 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

They got destroyed in their loses, were a non competitive team in those games.   That has to be fixed.

Orange Blaze is hitting the nail, and its a problem for all of KY HS Football, only about 8-10 or so teams in each classification max are even above average competitive, and only about half of those teams are really Championship contenders.
It’s a little unfair for this season to expect them to compete with two of there losses. Highlands and LCA were just in a different weight class. They competed with Assland,but this is where Raceland hasn’t gotten better. We don’t win against good teams. With that being said last year was the first year we’ve had a schedule like that. We will see how it goes over the next few years
(01-06-2024, 06:25 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(01-06-2024, 04:10 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

It’s a little unfair for this season to expect them to compete with two of there losses. Highlands and LCA were just in a different weight class. They competed with Assland,but this is where Raceland hasn’t gotten better. We don’t win against good teams. With that being said last year was the first year we’ve had a schedule like that. We will see how it goes over the next few years

Guess it depends on how you define compete.
Those 4 games were extremely tough for us. They will be even tougher next year. I just hope we continue to keep those type of games on the schedule because it only helps us in the long run.
Looking back at the season, next year will boil down to the weight room results from the offseason. The only thing that kept us from being completely dismantled by the teams we lost to, was strength and conditioning. My concern is having a lack of older players next year. Will that cause us to take a step back in this department? Replacing Lundy, Wallace, and Fannin offensively is going to be next to impossible. Same goes for Webb, Heighton, and Bell on the defensive side. We will return a lot upfront, but our skill players being so physical and strong the last two years has been our strong suit, imo. This next season will tell us a lot about where our program is. Obvious we aren’t on Pikevilles level, but we seem to be following in their footsteps in terms of “reload” and not “rebuild”. I THINK we are at that point, but the fact remains that this graduating class was tough before the biggest chunk of them held back. That extra year made them even tougher to replace. So there’s a lot of pressure on the staff, imo, to prove themselves next year.
Bump
Lots of kids working hard in The weight room. But we will be young upfront. Going to take some lumps early.
(04-19-2024, 08:33 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Lots of kids working hard in The weight room. But we will be young upfront. Going to take some lumps early.
The front end of the schedule is going to be tough facing an up Ashland team, Pikeville, and Highlands.  Raceland will likely start the season off 1-3 with running clocks possible in all of the games mentioned above.  Making it out the first half of the schedule healthy will be a major priority coming into district play.