•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
The mindset of only hiring proven head coaches is crazy to me. Every coach good or bad has been an assistant coach, surely you guys don't think Belichek and Saban just woke up head coaches one day. Sure there are coaches that can go anywhere and make a positive impact, but more often than not passing on what makes the most sense to go with the better name or hire leaves you back in the same or worse position you were coming out of. Jordan Ray makes the most sense, he is an alumni with community support that will draw kids from the building and surrounding counties who has paid his dues as an assistant. Add in that he has a state championship ring and been to the show twice while working for a well known and respected coach from the area and its a no brainer.

Too often school boards and ADs at the high school level treat coaching searches like a scavenger hunt, more often the not the right person is right there in front of them and they pass over them because it was too easy of a hire.
Delusional comes to mind.

Some names thrown around, wow.

You might get Jordan Ray.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • Westside
It seems as though the Michael Burchett rumor is gaining traction.  Word on the street is that he has met with a local realtor to buy a horse farm on Stone Crest. This would be a great hire! As some know, he has recently left his job with the University of Houston. Pburg alum, one of their best QBs ever, major college playing and coaching experience...what's not to love?
(01-12-2024, 02:44 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I’m hearing Michael Burchett is returning home to apply for the job. If so, this is a game changer. Michael was recently the QB coach at the University of Houston, and West Virginia. Also, he was one of the best to ever play QB at Prestonsburg. If he applies, he would be the best choice and it wouldn’t be close! I guess time will tell!
I’ve heard he’s interested also. 

If he applies then I don’t know how you don’t hire him. He’s the biggest name and he’s been coaching at the college level since he graduated at WVU. 

His resume is about impossible to top. 

GA at WVU & UK
OC at Fordham
QB Coach at Houston 

Sign me up
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(01-12-2024, 06:01 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 02:44 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I’m hearing Michael Burchett is returning home to apply for the job. If so, this is a game changer. Michael was recently the QB coach at the University of Houston, and West Virginia. Also, he was one of the best to ever play QB at Prestonsburg. If he applies, he would be the best choice and it wouldn’t be close! I guess time will tell!

If he applies then I don’t know how you don’t hire him. He’s the biggest name and he’s been coaching at the college level since he graduated at WVU. 

GA at WVU & UK
OC at Fordham
QB Coach at Houston 

Sign me up
Not saying he wouldn’t be a great coach but obviously it’d be a huge adjustment going from coaching D1 athletes to coaching at Pburg. He’d obviously have to simplify things from what he ran at UK WVU and Houston.
(01-12-2024, 10:49 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 06:01 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

GA at WVU & UK
OC at Fordham
QB Coach at Houston 

Sign me up
Not saying he wouldn’t be a great coach but obviously it’d be a huge adjustment going from coaching D1 athletes to coaching at Pburg. He’d obviously have to simplify things from what he ran at UK WVU and Houston.
I think it’s a long shot he actually applies. I know he cares about the program and always will and I’m sure a part of him would like to coach at Pburg and be close to his family, but he’s established himself at the college level and taking this job would be risky for him in my opinion.

He’s bigger than this job.
That would be huge for Pburg, but why would a guy who is coaching at a high level collegiately come back to a small Eastern Ky high school? I just can’t see that happening but I was wrong once haha. Anyway I hope Pburg makes a great hire, East Ky needs them to be relevant. I’m on the J Ray train. Let him get a great staff put together, give him 5-6 years to get his youth program in line and see what happens. Don’t expect it to happen overnight, because it just can’t. Make the right hire Pburg and find that energy that once existed in a proud program.
[-] The following 2 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Westside
(01-13-2024, 03:32 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote: That would be huge for Pburg, but why would a guy who is coaching at a high level collegiately come back to a small Eastern Ky high school?  I just can’t see that happening but I was wrong once haha. Anyway I hope Pburg makes a great hire, East Ky needs them to be relevant. I’m on the J Ray train. Let him get a great staff put together, give him 5-6 years to get his youth program in line and see what happens. Don’t expect it to happen overnight, because it just can’t. Make the right hire Pburg and find that energy that once existed in a proud program.

Yeah, I don't see it happening.
I have to agree about the Michael Burchett rumor. It would be nice to have him lead the Blackcats, I’m not sure what his plans are and I’m certain that he’s been contacted by alumni and family but trying to sway him back to Prestonsburg will be tough.

Whoever gets this job I just hope it’s the right hire for the program but we all know how that goes
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Was Burchett also fired by Houston when they got rid of Holgerson? Even if we get him to come back home I’m not sure he would be looking to stick around for five to ten years to rebuild this thing to the glory days. Jordan Ray should get the first call.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rough and Tough's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(01-13-2024, 12:10 PM)Rough and Tough Wrote: Was Burchett also fired by Houston when they got rid of Holgerson? Even if we get him to come back home I’m not sure he would be looking to stick around for five to ten years to rebuild this thing to the glory days. Jordan Ray should get the first call.

usually when your head coach is let go at that level, the staff is usually on standby or let go as well because Holgerson promoted Burchett from offensive analyst to QB coach. 

I believe the only ones that are not directly fired are the coordinators when the head coach is fired.  

I do believe this is a fantasy hire but it would be nice
(01-13-2024, 12:10 PM)Rough and Tough Wrote: Was Burchett also fired by Houston when they got rid of Holgerson? Even if we get him to come back home I’m not sure he would be looking to stick around for five to ten years to rebuild this thing to the glory days. Jordan Ray should get the first call.
Jordan Ray makes the most sense to me out of all these candidates.
  • jetpilot
(01-13-2024, 03:52 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
Jordan Ray makes the most sense to me out of all these candidates.

I agree Jordan will bring excitement and success to the Blackcat program that their fans were accustomed to forever.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I hope not. Burchett is on his way to be a legit college coach. I hope he don’t give up on that because he’s home sick. I also believe his salary was 200k plus. Be hard to give that up to come home and coach high school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Upnorth's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I would be happily stunned if Michael Burchett applied for the position. He’s a D-1 coach with a very bright future on the college and even professional level. Reality is Jordan Ray. He’s a good coach and a good person. He will surround himself with a staff from the community who can support him and the team’s success.
He will be at the feeder schools encouraging participation and support. He will have an active off season conditioning program. The most important factor is the players will love him. I hope they give him the chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hawg laig's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Maybe Haywood will take the job.
(01-14-2024, 05:17 PM)pjdoug Wrote: Maybe Haywood will take the job.

That has actually been said by more than 2 or 3 people. I don’t see it happening but the person that told me basically said that Belfry is finished and Coach Haywood can’t fix it because he has zero say about anything there.

He could come home, win 8 games a few years and make it to semifinals and be looked at even better than he is now. Ride off into the sunset.

I don’t see it happening but who knows.
  • pjdoug
jordan ray would be the right answer if burchett doesnt apply

jordan is a young guy which would be the main concern, but hes been coaching his whole post high school life. he has some smaller level head coaching experience as he lead the middle school team kentucky groups a few times and has worked his way up the ranks under chirico. theres few people that would be better than him imo. he has grinded for it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Khalisimo's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Jordan honestly is the best choice, question is does he want it.
  • BlackcatAlum
Any news? I’m hearing Jordan Ray has lost interest due to parents and politics. I hope this isn’t the case!
(01-19-2024, 11:27 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Any news? I’m hearing Jordan Ray has lost interest due to parents and politics. I hope this isn’t the case!
Rumor is that he was given an ultimatum on who can be on the coaching staff and what style offense he can run for that certain player.

came from the same mouth that influenced Brewers forced resignation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • waughdaddy59
(01-19-2024, 12:03 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(01-19-2024, 11:27 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Any news? I’m hearing Jordan Ray has lost interest due to parents and politics. I hope this isn’t the case!
Rumor is that he was given an ultimatum on who can be on the coaching staff and what style offense he can run for that certain player.

Who in Floyd County has the power to make this decision and it sounds like people are scared of whoever this is. If this is the case then it’s going to be damn near impossible to attract anyone and win. Sounds like a bunch of daddy ball going on there.
I haven't heard much.

The Michael Burchett interest is real, but he has not applied. 

I don't personally know Jordan Ray, so I haven't heard much. I was told from someone he applied for the job and also applied at Hazard, but would rather have the Pburg job. That's all I know. 

If there's another name out there, then I haven't heard it yet.

I was also under the impression the ones that wanted Brewer out also wanted Jordan Ray hired.

I could be wrong.
(01-19-2024, 11:18 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
I haven't heard much.

The Michael Burchett interest is real, but he has not applied. 

I don't personally know Jordan Ray, so I haven't heard much. I was told from someone he applied for the job and also applied at Hazard, but would rather have the Pburg job. That's all I know. 

If there's another name out there, then I haven't heard it yet.

I was also under the impression the ones that wanted Brewer out also wanted Jordan Ray hired.

I could be wrong.

there’s always someone waiting when forced resignations happen. The burchett rumor could throw a wrench into their plans but I’m pretty sure they had an idea who they wanted before Brewer resigned.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 14th Official's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I think it's safe to say Jordan Ray is staying at GRC. I was told he was offered more money to stay there.
  • waughdaddy59
Michael Burchett has coached at the University of Kentucky, West Virginia University, Fordham, and University of Houston.  He made $250,000 as the quarterbacks coach per season  at Houston.  Why would he not want to be the next coach at Prestonsburg High School?  That is a step up from his previous jobs.  And here is a thought.  Arguably the greatest college football coach of all-time and arguable the greatest NFL coach of all-time just so happen to step down shortly after the Prestonsburg job opens up.  Coincidence????  I think not.  

Like I have said in the past, I have no knowledge of the Prestonsburg situation, but I find the Michael Burchett rumors hilarious.  I may be proven wrong though.  We shall see.
[-] The following 2 users Like Westside's post:
  • Bull got out!, waughdaddy59
(01-19-2024, 08:42 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Who in Floyd County has the power to make this decision and it sounds like people are scared of whoever this is. If this is the case then it’s going to be damn near impossible to attract anyone and win. Sounds like a bunch of daddy ball going on there.
Never “judge” a book by its cover
(01-20-2024, 09:17 AM)papabear02 Wrote:

I see what you did there you sneaky dog
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • waughdaddy59
Jordan Ray is out! GRC gave him a big raise and he is staying put. Burchett is interested, but he has applied for other college jobs, and people are afraid he would leave if he gets one of those jobs and who could blame him. The two names I’m hearing is the old ball coach, Bill Letton, and Sullivan from Pikeville.
(01-20-2024, 12:45 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(01-20-2024, 09:17 AM)papabear02 Wrote:

I see what you did there you sneaky dog
Wink
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next