Defensive Player of the Year
Jerod Smith , Corbin
Newcomer of the Year
Jude McWhorter, North Laurel
Team of the Year
Corbin High School
Coach of the Year
Tom Greer, Corbin 
All awards are based on regular season play. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hi Risk Warrior's post:
  • Son of the Alamo
Cam Estep, Zander Curry, Nate Grigsby. Peyton Warren, Jace Hatfield. All should be on this list. Curry,Estep and Grigsby should be ahead of west without a doubt. 13th Region has always been very inaccurate with their rankings.
No doubt those Corbin players are worthy you mentioned. Im proud of those kids. I think every team has some kids who just don't get any mention and are key players on their team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Cowboy42, North laurel Fan
(01-13-2024, 12:25 PM)speaking facts Wrote: Cam Estep, Zander Curry, Nate Grigsby. Peyton Warren, Jace Hatfield. All should be on this list. Curry,Estep and Grigsby should be ahead of west without a doubt. 13th Region has always been very inaccurate with their rankings.

Who shouldn't be on the list that's on it?
(01-14-2024, 05:14 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 12:25 PM)speaking facts Wrote: Cam Estep, Zander Curry, Nate Grigsby. Peyton Warren, Jace Hatfield. All should be on this list. Curry,Estep and Grigsby should be ahead of west without a doubt. 13th Region has always been very inaccurate with their rankings.

Tom Greer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Waitaminute's post:
  • Cowboy42, TD Hounds
13th Region Media Network is such an awesome concept and the coverage they give the teams and kids is hard to beat. But man some of the people they have representing them really causes them to lose a lot of credibility. Im sure they are all great folks, but some of them dont need to be in front of camera or on a broadcast or voting for any of this stuff IMO.
(01-14-2024, 05:27 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:

Tom Greer.

Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like pjdoug's post:
  • Bull got out!, Cowboy42, TD Hounds
(01-14-2024, 07:03 PM)13th Wrote: 13th Region Media Network is such an awesome concept and the coverage they give the teams and kids is hard to beat.  But man some of the people they have representing them really causes them to lose a lot of credibility. Im sure they are all great folks, but some of them dont need to be in front of camera or on a broadcast or voting for any of this stuff IMO.

And they're not biased at all Smile
I've always been under the impression this was the members of the 13th Region Media Outlets, I always thought all the newspaper, radio and others associated with the area sports voted, but that's not the case is it.
The West kid most dominate lineman to ever come through Corbin and he’s got more D1 offers than anyone I can ever remember playing at Corbin. Les Dixon would block you if you disagreed with him ever….
[-] The following 2 users Like Cowboy42's post:
  • Bull got out!, pjdoug
(01-15-2024, 11:12 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
The West kid most dominate lineman to ever come through Corbin and he’s got more D1 offers than anyone I can ever remember playing at Corbin. Les Dixon would block you if you disagreed with him ever….
Considering Les Dixon wants to make a living giving his opinion, he has the thinnest skin when it comes to any disagreement. He is notorious for promoting the kids of his friends and made a fool of himself promoting his daughter over better players in the region.
[-] The following 2 users Like jamesdeane's post:
  • pjdoug, TD Hounds
West is no doubt worthy of all the praise this young man can get. He is a trench warrior. I would like to have seen him play both ways. His presence in a game made huge impacts to the opposing teams. He’s got a nice big smile as well. Definitely a fan of this young man!
[-] The following 4 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Cowboy42, Old School Hound, pjdoug, Son of the Alamo
(01-15-2024, 08:12 PM)jamesdeane Wrote:
Considering Les Dixon wants to make a living giving his opinion, he has the thinnest skin when it comes to any disagreement. He is notorious for promoting the kids of his friends and made a fool of himself promoting his daughter over better players in the region.

Les is Ass !

Look, I dislike Greer as much as the next guy. I was the one who put a clown's nose on him, for goodness sakes. But if you can can cast your personal disdain for this unlikeable man aside for a moment, can you accept the fact that he guided a Hounds team to pretty impressive heights. They were , my many folks accounts, either the best or second best team in the entire state of Kentucky. I personally think they were the best but... well, you've heard my take on that. Anyway, pretty impressive year for Corbin. So Greer doesn't deserve the 13th region COTY award? Just asking...

Also, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Greer, quite possibly, outcoached Haddix in the game at Boyle. His gameplan was solid. Kids just made critical mistakes in the redzone.  I thought it was one of Justin's poorer coaching efforts, overall.

Tom Greer.
Dudley agrees (as do I).
(01-16-2024, 02:50 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Les is Ass !

Look, I dislike Greer as much as the next guy. I was the one who put a clown's nose on him, for goodness sakes. But if you can can cast your personal disdain for this unlikeable man aside for a moment, can you accept the fact that he guided a Hounds team to pretty impressive heights. They were , my many folks accounts, either the best or second best team in the entire state of Kentucky. I personally think they were the best but... well, you've heard my take on that. Anyway, pretty impressive year for Corbin. So Greer doesn't deserve the 13th region COTY award?  Just asking...

Also, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Greer, quite possibly, outcoached Haddix in the game at Boyle. His gameplan was solid. Kids just made critical mistakes in the redzone.  I thought it was one of Justin's poorer coaching efforts, overall.

I thought a little about it and lots of good things happened with a few of the coaches in the 13th Region. 

1. Bell County Dudley Hilton 13-2 and a trip to the Championship and won a quarter. 
2. Rockcastle Chris Larkey 11-2 and wins District and goes to 3rd Round
3. North Laurel Jason Chappell 8-5 and goes to the 3rd Round
4. Corbin Tom Greer 12-1 wins District and goes to 3rd Round
5. Jackson County 6-4 and just had a heck of a season for that program. 

I don't know how they pick the Coach of the Year. 

Now Corbin definatley should get the Tranfer of the Year Award because of the "Twins". Now what I wonder is if you add the Twins to any of the 13th Region teams how far do they get and especially Bell County, Rockcastle, North Laurel do they make it to the Title game or does Dudley win a title with them? Just something to wonder about, because they were on auto pilot, no coaching needed. 

As far as outcoaching, I personally look at it as smart on Haddix end to keep the ball in Qs hands and take the time off the clock and grind it out. I think the go for it call at the end of the game instead of kicking the field goal to seal the game gave life to Corbin for a possible score and who knows what would have happened. But as far as what I saw after the last penalty, was 2 plays that Corbin could have IMO put 5 wideouts and give Elam a chance to find one open receiver. Instead they went with a play where it was a toss back to the QB and of course it was no good and then the last play a low pass and turn over on downs. As I watched film, I just think you have to put the defense in a position if you are a offense to where you have many oppurtunities and I saw 2 wide left and 1 wide right for 2 final plays. I personally like the spread better because it opens up more when you have a QB like Elam. To me Boyle was advantage defensively with only 3 wide receivers with the game on the line with 2 plays for a first down. Corbin was no doubt a top 2 or 3 team in the state this year. Trinity when they made the QB change no doubt is right there. Frederick Douglass is right there. Top 4 Team. Corbins coaches did what they thought would work. The "Twins' made Corbins coaching job a lot easier because they demanded so much attention. It was a fun year to watch football in Kentucky. This was just one of the many great matchups this season.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Cowboy42, Old School Hound, Son of the Alamo
I don’t think I’ve tried to hide my disdain for Dudley Hilton, I’ve got a treasure trove full of reasons not to care much for him….That being said the job he done this year imo absolutely deserves the Coaching Award, I’m not saying they didn’t have some talent but tell me another coach other than Haywood that could have took that team to Commonwealth Stadium.  Don’t care for the man at all but he’s definitely a legend, consistently does more with less….

Tom Greer
:D :D
[-] The following 2 users Like TD Hounds's post:
  • Bull got out!, Cowboy42
(01-19-2024, 12:47 AM)TD Hounds Wrote: I don’t think I’ve tried to hide my disdain for Dudley Hilton, I’ve got a treasure trove full of reasons not to care much for him….That being said the job he done this year imo absolutely deserves the Coaching Award, I’m not saying they didn’t have some talent but tell me another coach other than Haywood that could have took that team to Commonwealth Stadium.  Don’t care for the man at all but he’s definitely a legend, consistently does more with less….

Tom Greer
Big Grin Big Grin
I absolutely agree..I’m pretty sure that Bell County was the only team in the 13th Region to make it past round three of playoffs. To be playing on Kroger/Commonwealth Stadium in game 15 State Championship should automatically put Dudley as Coach of the Year period. Not sure who votes on this award but they missed on that award..

Glad to know I'm not alone!!  I've thought for years that it was just me.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Cowboy42, TD Hounds
I'm trying to remember who was better. I thought she was the best player I saw that season. Bringing family into a debate is kind of questionable anyway though. Plus, the kids in the 13th get more attention than a lot of regions through that network.
I remember her being one of the best all around players I'd seen, her and the Riley girl at North, she was also a beast.

Question...I saw where sports illustrated magazine is calling it quits, do you guys think the age of the newspaper/magazine are dead and dying, is everything going to be online, and can these fly by nighters be trusted whose holding them accountable. I do know social media platforms are giving everyone with aspiration's of being the next Dick Vitale a platform, the good the bad and the ugly, it makes no difference. There will be 7 or 8 teams with cell phones pointing at the scoreboard on Facebook live from every regional tournament. I hope host schools are charging them heavily, no doubt it hurts the bottom line.
The West kid most dominate lineman to ever come through Corbin and he’s got more D1 offers than anyone I can ever remember playing at Corbin. Les UndecidedDixon would block you if you disagreed with him ever…
I’ve found it hilarious that certain kids have made state wide news yet they can’t make it on his crappy 13th region media page… Undecided
[-] The following 2 users Like TD Hounds's post:
  • Cowboy42, pjdoug
(01-19-2024, 03:32 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:

Glad to know I'm not alone!!  I've thought for years that it was just me.

Not just you, granny. Les is ass!  Big ego and a bigger ZERO!  For anyone who has had the displeasure of reading any of his columns, you know that most HS sophomores write better than Les does.

(01-21-2024, 01:34 PM)Spoozer12 Wrote: I remember her being one of the best all around players I'd seen, her and the Riley girl at North, she was also a beast.

Question...I saw where sports illustrated magazine is calling it quits, do you guys think the age of the newspaper/magazine are dead and dying, is everything going to be online, and can these fly by nighters be trusted whose holding them accountable.  I do know social media platforms are giving everyone with aspiration's of being the next Dick Vitale a platform, the good the bad and the ugly, it makes no difference.  There will be 7 or 8 teams with cell phones pointing at the scoreboard on Facebook live from every regional tournament.  I hope host schools are charging them heavily, no doubt it hurts the bottom line.

YES , YES and ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Cowboy42
I don't like 99% of his opinions, but he is very effective getting publicity for the 13th. We could use him here in the 15th.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Hi Risk Warrior
Bump
TD Hounds wrote: I’ve found it hilarious that certain kids have made state wide news yet they can’t make it on his crappy 13th region media page…
I wrote it off to everyone has an opinion - many times differing & like someone else brought up, who would you leave off the original list? Personally, I think it's good if kids are pretty equal, they all get some attention.
(01-29-2024, 12:54 PM)Hi Risk Warrior Wrote: TD Hounds wrote:  I’ve found it hilarious that certain kids have made state wide news yet they can’t make it on his crappy 13th region media page…
I wrote it off to everyone has an opinion - many times differing & like someone else brought up, who would you leave off the original list?    Personally, I think it's good if kids are pretty equal, they all get some attention.
The 13th Region does an outstanding job promoting certain kids and schools and it’s great to have them doing what they do. The only issue I have is Les preaches almost daily about people saying negative things about players in the 13th Region and threatens to block them from the site and yet when it comes to UK basketball he’s the guy who regularly gets on social media and puts down certain kids and coaches nearly every game. I get it’s college basketball but in my opinion you need to practice what you preach because all these kids sees the remarks made by the guy who tries to hold everyone in the 13th Region accountable for bashing players or coaches..I’m sure Edward’s who plays for UK has parents and family that wouldn’t appreciate reading all the bashing that Les throws his way.. Just saying. What’s the difference in an 18 or 19 year old Senior in high school as opposed to an 18 or 19 year old freshman in college?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cowboy42's post:
  • Bull got out!
(01-31-2024, 10:44 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 12:54 PM)Hi Risk Warrior Wrote: TD Hounds wrote:  I’ve found it hilarious that certain kids have made state wide news yet they can’t make it on his crappy 13th region media page…
I wrote it off to everyone has an opinion - many times differing & like someone else brought up, who would you leave off the original list?    Personally, I think it's good if kids are pretty equal, they all get some attention.
The 13th Region does an outstanding job promoting certain kids and schools and it’s great to have them doing what they do. The only issue I have is Les preaches almost daily about people saying negative things about players in the 13th Region and threatens to block them from the site and yet when it comes to UK basketball he’s the guy who regularly gets on social media and puts down certain kids and coaches nearly every game. I get it’s college basketball but in my opinion you need to practice what you preach because all these kids sees the remarks made by the guy who tries to hold everyone in the 13th Region accountable for bashing players or coaches..I’m sure Edward’s who plays for UK has parents and family that wouldn’t appreciate reading all the bashing that Les throws his way.. Just saying. What’s the difference in an 18 or 19 year old Senior in high school as opposed to an 18 or 19 year old freshman in college?

Personally I don't think anyone should be putting down a student athelete be they a 3rd grader or a Sr. in College.  When all is said and done they are all doing the best they can do under any given game depending on things going on in their life at the time.  People should get that & realize they could not have done half as good, a lot of them in charge of these media networks have never even played a high school or college game of anything.  Coaches, are actually the ones that make me SICK, and actually I am not talking about Football coaches, but Basketball coaches in particular.  You want to talk about a strange bunch of individuals, they get the nod from me.   They get some really weird ideas about kids and many times end up running off the kids that down the road could make a huge difference in an older team. They are a different breed anyway you want to disect them. if you can ever get close enough to listen to some talk while a game is going on you will see what I am referring to.  
Lets bring this post back on track, I don't see where anyone has disrespected a student athlete.

What do we do to get games covered, they either need to change their name to Tri County Sports or expand equal coverage. This morning I went to check out why the players in the Clay Jackson boys game got ejected last night, this has to be a big story in the 13th region, and there's not a peep anywhere, how do you not report what happened in a game where multiple players got ejected?

I think it's an amazing concept, one that has a ton of potential to do great things for the student athletes. I know it'd be expensive and time consuming to get the 10 teams in the region covered equally. The Kids of the 13th are lucky to have all the media promoting teams, a lot of regions hardly have anyone.