Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Harrison County - Open
I don't know many Harrison County fans on the site, but I did hear that Ray Graham resigned/retired again and this job is now open.  Early names being thrown around from the locals are Jimbo Stroub, Van Isaac, Simon Clouse, Neil Furnish and one wildcard I have heard is Clay McKee. I'm not super familiar with most of them but I do know Neil Furnish just moved from Great Crossing to Scott Co and I also know Clay McKee would be a pretty big hire if they could pull that off.
Change there is/was probably past due. The past few years…Harrison seems to have been terribly disjointed and often played out of control in the games I saw. Penalties galore. They’re gonna need someone who can energize the Fanbase and the kids.
Wasn’t Furnish there as head coach before?
Will Harrison Look statewide in their coaching search?
This will be interesting hire. Harrison has had 40 years or Graham ties. The coaches in between him were so bad.... I mean soooo bad. To me they got to go outside.
(01-24-2024, 08:15 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Will Harrison Look statewide in their coaching search?

If I was a betting man I would say the next Harrison County Coach is from the 4 that I mentioned.  Harrison County is very old school in that kids very seldom leave to go to other schools and very few transfers end up there.  The administrators have had the same last names for decades and most of the athletes in the school are legacies.  The McKees are from Harrison County but as we all know have done their coaching at Scott Co.  The other three names played and coached at Harrison County in some aspect under Coach Graham.

To me if they could pull Clay McKee from Scott Co it would be the best hire possible toward making a change but still keeping someone with some ties to the area.
(01-25-2024, 10:57 AM)FCSPY Wrote: This will be interesting hire. Harrison has had 40 years or Graham ties. The coaches in between him were so bad.... I mean soooo bad. To me they got to go outside.
This is kinda what I was implying with the Furnish question. Looked it up and he had 2 solid years and 1 bad year as head coach. Would be shocked if it was him picked.
What about the DC at Harrison? I think hes the wrestling coach as well.
(01-25-2024, 09:35 PM)plantmanky Wrote: What about the DC at Harrison?  I think hes the wrestling coach as well.
If their defense is any indication I’d keep looking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BTP's post:
  • FCSPY
(01-25-2024, 11:03 PM)BTP Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 09:35 PM)plantmanky Wrote: What about the DC at Harrison?  I think hes the wrestling coach as well.
LOL. Really doesn't matter who gets the job, you can only play who is walking your halls (well at most schools). Not many Jimmies and Joes at Harrison County.
(01-26-2024, 02:58 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
LOL. Really doesn't matter who gets the job, you can only play who is walking your halls (well at most schools). Not many Jimmies and Joes at Harrison County.
I would disagree with that last statement. They have had some solid athletes in the past few years. The defense has often times looked disorganized with no plan.
(01-26-2024, 02:58 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

Harrison County has a lot good things going for them. Outside of being located outside of big transfer areas, they are the only school in a town that has a pretty good mixture of kids.  They have plenty of athletes and plenty of hay-throwing country farm kids to choose from.  The issue with harrison to me is that they eat breathe and sleep baseball and while the seasons don't intertwine, they often don't share a lot of those kids.  If someone could come in and get the kids out of the halls they will have a good foundation to build on.  I know coach Graham is loved by many throughout the coaching world, but I don't believe all of the Harrison County community felt the same way. If I'm hiring for this position I would look outside of Harrison County and take a chance that some new blood could come in and strike up some interest. It's easy to say that kids will play for a familiar face, but Graham was around for 35 plus years sometimes you just need a change from everything.
no offense to Graham, but new blood always has a period of new excitement.. in the early 2000's Harrison was loaded with talent and size. I would guess the area has grown since.. I have always heard baseball was a real issue with the football interest in Harrison..
Hearing from some locals the following.......the coaching search will not be drawn out in all probability.......and the names mentioned were the same ones mentioned on here......except McKee. They also indicated former Adair HC Van Isaac may be the frontrunner for the position.
Anyone heard any new names? I talked to someone this weekend that heard the name John Collins floating around? Would surprise me if they went that direction but Coach Collins has been around a lot of good football. The more I think about this job, the more I believe the right person could come in and have some consistent success. Obviously with CC in district they won't be world beaters but they have the make up that should support winning seasons.
Any news?
Any word on this one? I once thought this was a slept on gig. Now with district realignment the first thing on the new coach’s agenda would be to think of 100 reasons why they shouldn't play in the proposed district and submit it to khsaa ASAP.
Hearing interviews will begin next week rumors in the 10th region say there are 4-5 candidates at this point.
Correction….interviews have been conducted over the past couple of days for this position. Heard that from a good source in Paintsville of all places.
(03-01-2024, 11:58 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Correction….interviews have been conducted over the past couple of days for this position.  Heard that from a good source in Paintsville of all places.

Any names from the good source in Johnson County?
(03-04-2024, 10:24 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 11:58 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Correction….interviews have been conducted over the past couple of days for this position.  Heard that from a good source in Paintsville of all places.

Any names from the good source in Johnson County?

Nope.
I think they should go outside and bring someone else in. I think a fresh look would do them some good…
(03-10-2024, 07:17 PM)Cledog30 Wrote: I think they should go outside and bring someone else in. I think a fresh look would do them some good…

Van Issacs was hired weeks ago.
(03-10-2024, 08:10 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(03-10-2024, 07:17 PM)Cledog30 Wrote: I think they should go outside and bring someone else in. I think a fresh look would do them some good…

Wow, have not heard a thing that they had hired a coach.. Whats the background on the new coach?
Saw today that Van Isaacs has been named the Head Coach. Not really a surprise from what has been mentioned in this thread for the past couple of months.
(03-13-2024, 12:27 PM)FCSPY Wrote:
(03-10-2024, 08:10 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

Wow, have not heard a thing that they had hired a coach.. Whats the background on the new coach?

Issacs has been the Middle School coach the last couple of years, was the Varsity HC at Adair before that I think.   I think this was the plan all along when Coach Graham brought Issacs into the program.
Gotcha, The middle school team has been awful last few years. Would not say they were poorly coaches.. just not much talent in the area of the last decade.