Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former EKU Assistant Jack Ison Has Passed Away
Former longtime Eastern Kentucky University assistant football coach Jack Ison has passed away.  Coach Ison was a key member of the Roy Kidd staff back in EKU's glory days when they went to four straight national championship games winning titles in 1979 and 1982.  He served primarily as the defensive coordinator and served in the role of the strength and conditioning coach although officially there were no such coaches back in the day.  After his time at EKU he would go on to serve as a coach at Georgetown College.  IMO Coach Kidd, Coach Ison, and offensive line Coach Bill Shannon (Shannon helped establish the Florida pipeline to Richmond) were the keys to EKU becoming a Division I-AA powerhouse.  Now all three are gone.  RIP
[-] The following 2 users Like Westside's post:
  • Granny Bear, jetpilot
(01-28-2024, 09:49 PM)Westside Wrote: Former longtime Eastern Kentucky University assistant football coach Jack Ison has passed away.  Coach Ison was a key member of the Roy Kidd staff back in EKU's glory days when they went to four straight national championship games winning titles in 1979 and 1982.  He served primarily as the defensive coordinator and served in the role of the strength and conditioning coach although officially there were no such coaches back in the day.  After his time at EKU he would go on to serve as a coach at Georgetown College.  IMO Coach Kidd, Coach Ison, and offensive line Coach Bill Shannon (Shannon helped establish the Florida pipeline to Richmond) were the keys to EKU becoming a Division I-AA powerhouse.  Now all three are gone.  RIP
Great post, Westie.  I was in Richmond during those Glory Days. Most fun time I ever had watching college football. Great time to be on campus!  What Coach Kidd, Coach Ison, and Coach Smallwood did during those years will likely never be replicated. RIP to all three of those amazing fellas and legendary coaches.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside