Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds great and Kentucky native Don Gullett passed away
Reds HOF pitcher passed away today he was 73 years old. Gullett pitched for the Reds from 1970-1976. 
Gullett was the pitcher when Willie Mays hit the 660th and last home run of his Major League Baseball career on August 17, 1973. Gullett also surrendered Hank Aaron's 660th home run on August 6, 1972. He went 6-1 with a 1.83 ERA and 42 strikeouts in 54 innings pitched in July 1974, winning the National League Player of the Month Award. In a 1975 National League Championship Series game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, Gullett pitched a complete game and hit a single and home run, collecting three runs batted in. Gullett became a free-agent in the winter of 1976 and signed with the New York Yankees where he played for two seasons. His career was cut short do the shoulder and rotor-cuff problems.

Here is a little more on Gullett’s high school career in Northeastern Kentucky where he was known as The Natural.

Consider this: Gullett had 17 major college basketball scholarship offers, 35 major college football offers (including Notre Dame, Ohio State and Alabama) and was a projected No. 1 professional baseball draft choice as a senior at McKell High School in 1969.

He one scored 72 points all on his own in a high school game in 1968. He had numerous games where scored 35-40 points in basketball.
Scoring all 72 of McKell's points in a high school football game is one the most impressive stats that I have ever seen. Growing up in Greenup County, I heard many people talk about his athletic feats. One of my cousin's big brags was that he hit a foul ball off of Gullett before striking out in high school.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
From Johnny Bench on Gullett’s passing.

Thumbnail(s)

I will remember Gullett for being an incredible athlete, tremendous southpaw , CY Young type potential unfulfilled and cut short because of injury, and that big chaw of tobacco in his jaw. Born in Lynn, KY. Gosh, what might have been with a healthy career.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • 16BBall Fan