Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Laurel over Bell 66-37
I did not expect this score 66-37 WOW!  wasn't Bell ranked solidly above South in the latest Regional Poll?  Is Mr. Mabe that big of a factor?  Going to be some fun District games looks like.   South is my Regional Dark Horse.
Mabe is ABSOLUTELY that big of a factor! I think a healthy South is Harlan's County's biggest obstacle on the road to Rupp. Wouldn't surprise me to see South win the 50th and face off with HC for the regional title.
HC needs to get some things lined out and some issues resolved before they face anybody in the regional title. Whatever two teams play to go to Rupp, they have to GET to that final game first!
Layups were impossible when mabe was in the game, and i think that will be for every team they face in the region. Then rawlings and steele hitting 7 threes when they avg 3 a game. And finally every player for bell over 6’2 having 2 or even 3 fouls 10 minutes into the game. Not a great recipe for a bell win. Sizemore sat on the bench the last bit of the second quarter and stood up twice in the second half, so he obviously decide it was over when south got only 15 point lead. Bell is still a top 4 team in the region, but watching mabe contest every shot that went up and move guys anywhere he wanted just with his butt makes me think they are region runner up and will take HC down to the buzzer. The district losses look bad without him on the floor, but when he’s there, the resume speaks for itself. GRC, CAL, North, Marshall, and now Bell.
(02-17-2024, 02:14 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Layups were impossible when mabe was in the game, and i think that will be for every team they face in the region. Then rawlings and steele hitting 7 threes when they avg 3 a game. And finally every player for bell over 6’2 having 2 or even 3 fouls 10 minutes into the game. Not a great recipe for a bell win. Sizemore sat on the bench the last bit of the second quarter and stood up twice in the second half, so he obviously decide it was over when south got only 15 point lead. Bell is still a top 4 team in the region, but watching mabe contest every shot that went up and move guys anywhere he wanted just with his butt makes me think they are region runner up and will take HC down to the buzzer. The district losses look bad without him on the floor, but when he’s there, the resume speaks for itself. GRC, CAL, North, Marshall, and now Bell.

I agree. Mabe is a difference maker. I think they win the 50th and might be the one team that can challenge the Bears. Harlan County is the team to beat but South will be dangerous.
(02-17-2024, 07:20 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 02:14 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Layups were impossible when mabe was in the game, and i think that will be for every team they face in the region. Then rawlings and steele hitting 7 threes when they avg 3 a game. And finally every player for bell over 6’2 having 2 or even 3 fouls 10 minutes into the game. Not a great recipe for a bell win. Sizemore sat on the bench the last bit of the second quarter and stood up twice in the second half, so he obviously decide it was over when south got only 15 point lead. Bell is still a top 4 team in the region, but watching mabe contest every shot that went up and move guys anywhere he wanted just with his butt makes me think they are region runner up and will take HC down to the buzzer. The district losses look bad without him on the floor, but when he’s there, the resume speaks for itself. GRC, CAL, North, Marshall, and now Bell.

I agree. Mabe is a difference maker. I think they win the 50th and might be the one team that can challenge the Bears. Harlan County is the team to beat but South will be dangerous.
And i think today proved it, yes Bell completely gave up in the second quarter all the way around friday night for the mabe return, but if bell can beat whitley by 15 and lead by as many as 22 the next day they are a really good team. And if south can completely dominate bell the way they did, they are in a different stratosphere. Wish he got to play all the district games.
Crazy thing is Mabe is a huge difference maker. He only played limited minutes in his return. Less than 10 minutes. Had 6 points and several blocks. That stretch without Mabe was brutal for SL but it helped some kids confidence and got them some experience. That experience showed Friday. SL showing they have some scoring threats other than Mabe and Rawlings. Going to be a tough out for someone down the stretch. Steele and Howard can score!
Saw Mr. Mabe play this past weekend in Ohio. He is deceptive I'll say that, handles the ball well for his size and has super long arms. Honestly in the 2 games I watched he must have had 14 blocks and a couple of Dunks. Also saw Huff from HC play--kid has range. Huff will average more points but Mabe completely dominates a game from all angles. The 13th should be a lot closer contested next year but whichever team HC or SL wins the region(they have to be the 2 favs) that kid should be the region rep for Mr. Basketball.