Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2024 Class 1A Pre Season Talk
Going to start this off with saying This is gonna be an odd year with seeing some odds teams in places your use to not seen at. But Starting it off by saying Pikeville is clear cut number 1 heading in and we will talk about the rest after this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bac2369's post:
  • Fanatic42
(02-18-2024, 11:36 PM)bac2369 Wrote: Going to start this off with saying This is gonna be an odd year with seeing some odds teams in places your use to not seen at. But Starting it off by saying Pikeville is clear cut number 1 heading in and we will talk about the rest after this.
Going to be interesting as to how it all shakes out at season's end. Don't want to sound overconfident, but Pikeville will start the season at no.1 and will end at no.1 bringing back another class 1-A trophy to the mountains.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
I always used to enjoy your in depth breakdowns Bac on who brings back what. Look forward to hearing and reading your research.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-19-2024, 12:54 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote: I always used to enjoy your in depth breakdowns Bac on who brings back what. Look forward to hearing and reading your research.

Thanks and I always appreciate your honesty and respect in your posts. I’m still crunching some things but I’m ready to get some back lash on it.
  • jetpilot
Did somebody say backlash?
2- Sayre This team was a dark horse last year and this year they will become the hunted with such a skilled roster returning and lots of experience. 2nd most offense in Class 1A returning and very solid defensive unit with a dangerous secondary who are ball hawks.

3. Campbellsville returns a good core on both sides of the ball including its quarterback. 3 good offensive line as well. 4 of its top 7 in tackles from last season.

4. New Cath - the same goes for them except they have a quarterback who picked up mid season thanks to a loss of its senior quarterback in the raceland game. But with playmakers like Charlie Ford and Kaleb Cole they should be ok.

5. Ludlow- Surprising to see them here, especially top 5, but they are worthy. They will hit you with a heavy dose of run and you best stop it. Maybe on the best back in Class 1A not named Anthony. So remember the name Dameyn Anness. They also return its top 3 in tackles from last season and 5 of the top 7.

6. Newport- They return the most offense in Class 1A and could be very dangerous this upcoming season. Why do u ask would Ludlow be in front of them? Ludlow got revenge in the playoffs last season beating them 28-6. Newport won the regular season matchup 16-14. They also return 4 of their top 7 defensively. There secondary is pretty solid as well with 14 INTs returning from last season.

7. Williamsburg returns close to 2700 yards of offense and their quarterback is back for another season. He will be dangerous with his feet like most quarterbacks for Williamsburg and have 3 solid wideouts to throw too. 3 of its top 7 in tackles and as well as a good secondary with 14 INTs.

8. Paris- They get the nod just barely over Raceland. Paris just has a few less shoes to fill at the moment. Elijah Webb will be all over the place next season. Speed may be your enemy.

9. Raceland- Complete rebuild from the most winningest class to come through there. Will be breaking in a new quarterback and halfback. But have solid wide outs who can catch it and will be called upon to carry the load. Rowsey and Ison will look to take leadership. Austin McKee will also be leaned upon and Arnett.

10. Louisville Holy Cross- Return close to 1800 yards of offense with over 1200 of it being on the ground from its playmaker PenneBaker. They also return their quarterback and. 3 of its top 5 in tackles.
[-] The following 2 users Like bac2369's post:
  • Bull got out!, Fanatic42
Newport has potential this year, I wonder how much playing 10 road games this year will effect them. Keeping the team together for a full season is always the tough part about Newport. Talent is there.
(02-19-2024, 09:38 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Newport has potential this year, I wonder how much playing 10 road games this year will effect them. Keeping the team together for a full season is always the tough part about Newport. Talent is there.

What’s the word on their home field? Is it done? Or what? Heard things about there bleachers not being able to go up because of a flood zone.
(02-19-2024, 09:42 PM)bac2369 Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 09:38 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Newport has potential this year, I wonder how much playing 10 road games this year will effect them.  Keeping the team together for a full season is always the tough part about Newport.  Talent is there.

What’s the word on their home field? Is it done? Or what? Heard things about there bleachers not being able to go up because of a flood zone.

They were forced to tear it down, and now cant rebuild it because they tore it down.  Will be all road games for 2024, after that who knows.
I've missed the boat on the Newport train, I saw them fairly early last season and they were light years away. Maybe they added some pick ups along the way. I think Sayre may be getting closer to holding the 2 spot, but they lose a lot of big kids up front. I do believe they are the future of 1a and will be a perennial contender as they start offering more "scholarships." Returning Coffman and Pennington will mean they can score with the best. Campbellsville will be solid and not challenged in district nearly as much as they were last year. I think Paris is a wildcard, I was told they started like 9 Freshmen last year. I'm not sure what they lose, but I know the Webb kid returns and he was pretty special as a Junior. If memory serves me I believe they get back a QB they lost in the preseason while keeping the Freshman that started all year on a pretty good 10-2 team who a lot of people forget beat a Rockcastle team that went on to win on Log Mountain and get screwed out of Kroger Field by beautiful Ole RPI.
(02-19-2024, 09:06 PM)Ebac2369 Wrote: 2- Sayre This team was a dark horse last year and this year they will become the hunted with such a skilled roster returning and lots of experience. 2nd most offense in Class 1A returning and very solid defensive unit with a dangerous secondary who are ball hawks.

3. Campbellsville returns a good core on both sides of the ball including its quarterback. 3 good offensive line as well. 4 of its top 7 in tackles from last season.

4. New Cath - the same goes for them except they have a quarterback who picked up mid season thanks to a loss of its senior quarterback in the raceland game. But with playmakers like Charlie Ford and Kaleb Cole they should be ok.

5. Ludlow- Surprising to see them here, especially top 5, but they are worthy. They will hit you with a heavy dose of run and you best stop it. Maybe on the best back in Class 1A not named Anthony. So remember the name Dameyn Anness. They also return its top 3 in tackles from last season and 5 of the top 7.

6. Newport- They return the most offense in Class 1A and could be very dangerous this upcoming season. Why do u ask would Ludlow be in front of them? Ludlow got revenge in the playoffs last season beating them 28-6. Newport won the regular season matchup 16-14. They also return 4 of their top 7 defensively. There secondary is pretty solid as well with 14 INTs returning from last season.

7. Williamsburg returns close to 2700 yards of offense and their quarterback is back for another season. He will be dangerous with his feet like most quarterbacks for Williamsburg and have 3 solid wideouts to throw too. 3 of its top 7 in tackles and as well as a good secondary with 14 INTs.

8. Paris- They get the nod just barely over Raceland. Paris just has a few less shoes to fill at the moment. Elijah Webb will be all over the place next season. Speed may be your enemy.

9. Raceland- Complete rebuild from the most winningest class to come through there. Will be breaking in a new quarterback and halfback. But have solid wide outs who can catch it and will be called upon to carry the load. Rowsey and Ison will look to take leadership. Austin McKee will also be leaned upon and Arnett.

10. Louisville Holy Cross- Return close to 1800 yards of offense with over 1200 of it being on the ground from its playmaker PenneBaker. They also return their quarterback and. 3 of its top 5 in tackles.
Great work Bac! I wonder what Pennington’s long term plan is? Will he stay coaching Sayre after his younger son graduates? If so, Sayre is eventually going to get over that hump. I’ve openly been a huge advocate of what Pennington has done at Sayre in such a short time. I honestly believe had Pennington been at the helm or even just the OC at a couple of the other Lex schools over the last 6-8 years that there would be more than 1 total state title residing in that city, but I guess we will never know. And as for Campbellsville, their QB may be 1 of the best athletes in 1A. That kid can flat play. He’s going to win a lot of games for that school. Paris definitely has some nice athletes too but can they be physical and disciplined as they need to be to win a big game? It wouldn’t completely surprise me to see Raceland right back in the mix by November either. 
But ultimately I still expect it to be another big year for the Panthers. I really expect to start seeing some of the younger kids really taking a big stride forward this year. As we get closer to the Summer and I get some weight room reports, I’ll start name dropping on some of the kids that big things are going to be expected. The off-season is almost as interesting to me as the season. It separates the guys that like football from those that love football.
11. Bishop Brossart-They return just over 1700 yards and 1200 of that on the ground. All quarterbacks who played snaps are returning. They return 4 of their top 7 in tackles from last season.

12. Bethlehem- Didn’t lose much from last year and bring back couple good wideouts and solid running back. Look to have 8 returning defensive starters with a solid secondary.

13. Paintsville - they return a quarterback who got some good experience last season. They return just over 1400 yards and return 7 starters and 2 of its top two in tackles. Paintsville will still be young.

14 Hazard- looking to rebound from the worst season in history. Bulldogs return 9 starters both ways and close to 1600 yards offensively. Pelfrey will have some good targets coming back plus some good young and talented youth coming up.

15. Frankfort- close to 1900 yards back and two returning quarterbacks, and returning all 11 of its top in tackles from last season. Not sure if all are starters but good nucleus to build off of after year one for its new coach.
  • Bull got out!
bac are you forgetting about the KCD Fighting RPIs?
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Jarons, Redneck
(02-21-2024, 03:59 PM)jetpilot Wrote: bac are you forgetting about the KCD Fighting RPIs?

No. Just outside the top 15. Rebuilding year for them and Middlesboro.
Hearing mayfield wanting back in 1A Lol!!
^^^Bring ‘em on!!!
(02-21-2024, 03:09 AM)bac2369 Wrote: 11. Bishop Brossart-They return just over 1700 yards and 1200 of that on the ground. All quarterbacks who played snaps are returning. They return 4 of their top 7 in tackles from last season.

12. Bethlehem- Didn’t lose much from last year and bring back couple good wideouts and solid running back. Look to have 8 returning defensive starters with a solid secondary.

13. Paintsville - they return a quarterback who got some good experience last season. They return just over 1400 yards and return 7 starters and 2 of its top two in tackles. Paintsville will still be young.

14 Hazard- looking to rebound from the worst season in history. Bulldogs return 9 starters both ways and close to 1600 yards offensively. Pelfrey will have some good targets coming back plus some good young and talented youth coming up.

15. Frankfort- close to 1900 yards back and two returning quarterbacks, and returning all 11 of its top in tackles from last season. Not sure if all are starters but good nucleus to build off of after year one for its new coach.

Brossart fired their entire coaching staff for no reason other than they could, and was left out to dry, I dont look for them to do anything but wither away into the distance.
1A will be Pikeville’s tolose once again.
Facts!
Pikeville is the prohibitive favorite going into 2024, but I expect Sayre and Campbellsville to compete for the second spot. I just don't know if anyone will be physical enough to handle Pikeville for 4 quarters.

Here's my way-too-early top 5:

1. Pikeville
2. Sayre
3. Campbellsville
4. Newport Central Catholic
5. Paris
UPIKE’s too lose in 2024. Should be no competition in 1A for them. Honestly might be the biggest upset ive seen if they dont win it all this year regardless of whoever beats them in 1A which i do not see under any circumstances.
Raceland loses a lot but I just don’t see anyone other than Pikeville, Campbellsville, or Sayre being better than them in 1A. They are going to take major lumps with the schedule they have but the district will still be theirs to lose and imo will still beat NCC, Hazard, and Letcher County Central. Ashland, Pikeville, Highlands, and LCA are completely different stories though lol

Par for the course I think after the top 3 this year, again, could be drawn out of a hat and you wouldn’t be wrong though, especially this far away from the season starting.
1. Pikeville

2. Campbellsville
3. Sayre

4. NewCath
5 Raceland
6.Williamsburg
7.Newport
8.Ludlow
9.Paris
10.Paintsvillle
1. Pikeville

2. Campbellsville

3-10. Everybody else

Not on Sayre until they show they can stay on the field with a real good team.
(02-21-2024, 03:09 AM)bac2369 Wrote: 11. Bishop Brossart-They return just over 1700 yards and 1200 of that on the ground. All quarterbacks who played snaps are returning. They return 4 of their top 7 in tackles from last season.

I’m hearing Paintsville just lost one of their returning studs in Crayson Lafferty, to Martin County. He led the Class A in tackles this past season as a freshman. He was also the other RB they had returning. He’s a heck of a wrestler, maybe that was part of the decision to transfer. Martin County has very good group of young wrestlers coming up.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • Old School 18
Pikeville and then everyone else.

Hazard will have another tough year as they go through growing pains starting a ton of Freshman. There could also be a QB controversy in the holler.

The new coach is doing a good job of creating a positive culture for the players, which has been missing. The community is back to supporting the program the way they should.

If I was a betting man - they will be somewhere around 6 and 6 heading into the playoffs with the 2 seed. Pickup a first-round playoff win and everything after is a bonus. But a year like I mentioned in the following two sentences is a MUST to keep this young group together, IMO.
^With the way the Panthers have it rolling right now, their unbelievable facilities, and the talent coming up the only 2 things I can possibly see stopping Pikeville in the foreseeable future is realignment changes and Hazard's ability to keep the great young talent they have coming up in a few years together until they're upperclassmen. If neither of those happen the Panthers are going to continue to stockpile state championships.
Panthers then everyone else
[-] The following 2 users Like RTruth's post:
  • Big Five-0-, BlackCat5
MY TOP 5
1. PIKEVILLE
2. CAMPBELLSVILLE
3. LEXINGTON SAYRE
4. NEWPORT CENTRAL CATHOLIC
5. LUDLOW
Did anyone miss me? Finally back on this board thanks to hard work by admins to fix log in issue for me. Can’t wait to talk footbawlllll. And where’s Floppy Melons? Anyone heard from him since he disappeared after Pikeville ran through them like a dose of salts since 2015?
[-] The following 2 users Like PHSForever's post:
  • jetpilot, Spud6