Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 68 Belfry 56
(02-23-2024, 09:48 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 05:40 PM)BCF4L Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 12:18 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Was told from a good source Keathley may be taking a job as an assistant Coach with a team not to far away if changes ain’t made, little birds said he is talking to 2 schools in 2 different Regions.
Not trying to sound disrespectful but once the group of juniors that’s currently at Pburg graduate, that program is going to take a HUGE step back. If I’m Keathley and Parsley, I’m bolting. Our JV team has struggled this season and outside of Keathley, no one has significant playing time on the varsity level as an underclassman. I can’t imagine someone looking to get to the next level staying put on a team that’s likely to win less than 10 games for a couple to a few years.

Getting exposure is all about playing travel ball now days so what you do for your schools team doesn’t matter. It definitely helps if you make it to Rupp and play but travel ball is where eyeballs are for colleges
One of the biggest money rackets in sports too... I know folks who spend upwards of 10K a year of travel ball. All on the promise of getting thier kid seen
(02-23-2024, 10:21 PM)Blacksmith Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 12:18 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Was told from a good source Keathley may be taking a job as an assistant Coach with a team not to far away if changes ain’t made, little birds said he is talking to 2 schools in 2 different Regions.
Not trying to sound disrespectful but once the group of juniors that’s currently at Pburg graduate, that program is going to take a HUGE step back. If I’m Keathley and Parsley, I’m bolting. Our JV team has struggled this season and outside of Keathley, no one has significant playing time on the varsity level as an underclassman. I can’t imagine someone looking to get to the next level staying put on a team that’s likely to win less than 10 games for a couple to a few years.

Getting exposure is all about playing travel ball now days so what you do for your schools team doesn’t matter. It definitely helps if you make it to Rupp and play but travel ball is where eyeballs are for colleges
One of the biggest money rackets in sports too... I know folks who spend upwards of 10K a year of travel ball. All on the promise of getting thier kid seen

Sperry from Breathitt wouldn’t be d1 if he didn’t do travel ball. Kid from Harlan County same way. For kids that are good enough travel ball is where it gets done for them.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Blacksmith
(02-23-2024, 10:32 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 10:21 PM)Blacksmith Wrote:

Sperry from Breathitt wouldn’t be d1 if he didn’t do travel ball. Kid from Harlan County same way. For kids that are good enough travel ball is where it gets done for them.
Oh it absolutely can be, if you can afford it.. Now to be fair most of my travel balll exp is with baseball. There its not uncommon to pay to try out and so on..Anyone can just start up a team if they pay...
 I played AAU ball when I was in 8th grade and freshman year but back then it was different than travel ball is now..  If it can help a kid then thats great...
Im gonna correct myself, I think it was actually called something like Summer All Stars, not AAU
Travel ball is mostly a money grab. Wasn’t as big as it is now when my son played but now you have 100 travel ball teams just in East Ky in about every sport. I think it’s more about making sure Mikey or Susie’s mom and dad get a trophy to post on social media. These people running these travel ball and aau tournaments make a fortune
Now that’s true. Fellers have found a way to profit off of rich families to get their travel ball teams traveling the whole country just to get a ring you’d get out of a quarter machine for a Facebook post.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Blacksmith
The guy said the Junior class is all they have at Prestonsburg they got maybe best JV forward I seen in that tall linky kid. There Junior class is as week as anyone. The freshman and the center on varsity are only 2 I want.got one good senior well one kid is good but I here he’s junior then the guys on broadcast say he’s senior but 4 kids on team are players I’d want.other kids are space takers don’t mean that bad just sayin they not much difference between them and the next guy. Give Mike that roster they win 15th Region give Moore or Parsley Mikes roster they win 5 games. If we can get the Keathley duo like I’m hearing, we can do something for next 3 years cause we have another star freshman. Travel Basketball opens a lot of doors, we have one kid getting looks from playing with vision team from Lexington I think
(02-24-2024, 02:23 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Give Mike that roster they win 15th Region give Moore or Parsley Mikes roster they win 5 games. If we can get the Keathley duo like I’m hearing, we can do something for next 3 years cause we have another star freshman. Travel Basketball opens a lot of doors, we have one kid getting looks from playing with vision team from Lexington I think

If Betsy Layne really wants to do something in basketball, they will have Mike and Mason switch jobs, or encourage Mike to go back to blowing the whistle across the region. Mason's son is going to be a very good player over the next three years, and I can see some school offering him that job as part of a package deal. Even if Mason didn't have a kid playing, he's won everywhere he's been and knows the game better than anyone.
(02-24-2024, 12:20 PM)P. Fanning Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 02:23 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Give Mike that roster they win 15th Region give Moore or Parsley Mikes roster they win 5 games. If we can get the Keathley duo like I’m hearing, we can do something for next 3 years cause we have another star freshman. Travel Basketball opens a lot of doors, we have one kid getting looks from playing with vision team from Lexington I think

If Betsy Layne really wants to do something in basketball, they will have Mike and Mason switch jobs, or encourage Mike to go back to blowing the whistle across the region. Mason's son is going to be a very good player over the next three years, and I can see some school offering him that job as part of a package deal. Even if Mason didn't have a kid playing, he's won everywhere he's been and knows the game better than anyone.

I would venture to say Mike has the same amount of county championships as a middle school coach as Mason does and that’s what both of their resumes are built off of
#BBFL
(02-24-2024, 12:42 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 12:20 PM)P. Fanning Wrote:

I would venture to say Mike has the same amount of county championships as a middle school coach as Mason does and that’s what both of their resumes are built off of

I don’t have a dog in the fight, but that sir is failed logic.

Vince Lombardi, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, George Seifert, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin, Bill Parcells, Tom Landry and Don Shula have all won 2 Super Bowls. 

Are they all equal in coaching ability?

Due to being from around the region, I know both Mike and Mason from coaching and reffing. Mike has only ever been a middle school head coach for something like 10 years. Meanwhile, Mason has only coached MS for a few seasons, with some experience at other levels like HS and College as an assistant. Wasn’t Mike known for poaching players from other county/region middle schools?
Mike is a lot better Coach as than Mason and I’m a friend of Mason. Mason can’t Coach a team with his son on itt and his son is our best player in 2 years. We got a great staff Floyd Central has good staff not great Coaching. Prestonsburg has the worst staff of any would make since Mason goes there and Coaches, I think he went there this Summer and the Parsley guy hired that Coach that got fired from Middle School for saying bad things (heard second hand) and Mason come back to the good side. Things be so much better with Mason on that staff I think. Mike has to develop the talent he has and we are winning 15th Region next season
(02-24-2024, 04:18 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Mike is a lot better  Coach as than Mason and I’m a friend of Mason. Mason can’t Coach a team with his son on itt and his son is our best player in 2 years.  We got a great staff Floyd Central has good staff not great Coaching. Prestonsburg has the worst staff of any would make since Mason goes there and Coaches, I think he went there this Summer and the Parsley guy hired that Coach that got fired from Middle School for saying bad things (heard second hand) and Mason come back to the good side. Things be so much better with Mason on that staff I think. Mike has to develop the talent he has and we are winning 15th Region next season

Didn’t the MS win last year with his son on it? Could’ve swore I seen they swept the MS tournaments last year with his son playing. I could be wrong. 

You talk about his son being a freshman and being good, but now you’re saying he should go to PBURG with his son and Keathley. Wouldn’t that benefit PBURG and not BL. That don’t make sense to say. 

Sure seems like every time someone has a rebuttal to something about Mike or BL, you say something negative against it and hype up Mike. Like I said before in a previous thread. You need to focus on coaching your team, because from what I’ve been hearing your time is ticking. And ever since I’ve heard that, “FloydCountySuperstar” has been on here claiming Mike to be the best thing since sliced bread, when they’re 15-14 with 8 losses coming in the region. Time to put the keyboard away Coach, and not let the pressure of the job get to you.
[-] The following 2 users Like 15thRegionScoop's post:
  • P. Fanning, Wasp23
Like o said I’m fond of Mason to Mason can Coach but hard to Coach his son but I love for him to get a shot somewhere. Mike will be ok I promise. Betsy Layne is in as good of shape as it’s been, bright future. Watch what they do at District, then come back to me #Bobcat4Life
Betsy Layne did sweep the middle school with Mason at the helm. He has made every team he's coached at better. I know when he was an assistant at Alice Lloyd, he helped basically recruit a new team from top to bottom. Those women made the NAIA Tournament back to back, which was the first time that ever happened in that program. Some of those players wound up leading Alice Lloyd to the NCCAA National Championship, which was the first national title Alice Lloyd has ever had.

I have read a few posts about how great Mike is and how he could win a region with other schools talent. I like seeing Betsy Layne do well and they've had a good season, but if Mike was the coach some say he is, they'd be better than a game or two over .500 going into the district tournament.
Mike is a first year HS head coach, Mike has a not so great roster, I think he’s done more than fine. #Bobcats4Life