Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin County 94 Floyd Central 89 (OT)
Final from Inez.
Floyd Central if they are playing like they can will shock a lot of folks at region
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(02-21-2024, 10:09 AM)Spud6 Wrote: Floyd Central if they are playing like they can will shock a lot of folks at region

They don't have lots of size and length, and I only saw a glimpse of them, but they had a smaller kid who made a lot of tough shots and looked smooth in doing it. Don't know if he normally does that, but if so, he's a gamer. They had some other kids who knocked down shots in transition/on secondary breaks & and off of busted plays.

Overall, they shot the ball fairly well in the very limited windows that I saw them-- I can see how they'd be able to cause problems in the 15th if they got hot. Based on their record, I can also see how they may be very dependent on needing to shoot well to win and could also see how I might have caught them at times where they were playing well.

Would think that Pikeville is a team that they'd rather avoid given, as I don't know that they'd be able to keep them off the glass.
(02-21-2024, 01:19 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 10:09 AM)Spud6 Wrote: Floyd Central if they are playing like they can will shock a lot of folks at region

They don't have lots of size and length, and I only saw a glimpse of them, but they had a smaller kid who made a lot of tough shots and looked smooth in doing it. Don't know if he normally does that, but if so, he's a gamer. They had some other kids who knocked down shots in transition/on secondary breaks & and off of busted plays.

Overall, they shot the ball fairly well in the very limited windows that I saw them-- I can see how they'd be able to cause problems in the 15th if they got hot. Based on their record, I can also see how they may be very dependent on needing to shoot well to win and could also see how I might have caught them at times where they were playing well. 

Would think that Pikeville is a team that they'd rather avoid given, as I don't know that they'd be able to keep them off the glass.

Braden Moore is his name and he's the smoothest player in the 15th region that no one is talking about.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Blacksmith
Loved watching Floyd Central play the Moore kid is exciting to watch
FC is the hottest team in the 58th and it’s not even close.
Samons is a solid player who often gets 20+ a game (averaging around 20 I think)but it’s all low key 8-15’ jumpers and drop steps around the rim. Just a fundamental player.
This is the team we thought they were going to be at the right time. I agree Braydon Moore is one the best players in the region.
Great game. Congrats Martin Co
(02-21-2024, 07:44 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: Samons is a solid player who often gets 20+ a game (averaging around 20 I think)but it’s all low key 8-15’ jumpers and drop steps around the rim. Just a fundamental player.
Must have just had an off night when they played at Magoffin. Looked uncoordinated and clumsy. Might have had 6 points in that game. I was shocked when I seen that he just the 2000 point mark his career. Like I said, must have just been an off night.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
(02-21-2024, 11:22 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 07:44 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: Samons is a solid player who often gets 20+ a game (averaging around 20 I think)but it’s all low key 8-15’ jumpers and drop steps around the rim. Just a fundamental player.
Must have just had an off night when they played at Magoffin. Looked uncoordinated and clumsy. Might have had 6 points in that game. I was shocked when I seen that he just the 2000 point mark his career. Like I said, must have just been an off night.

Definitely an off night, he is absolute money 15 feet and in. He's an old school player that you'll see playing pick up games 20 years from now at Archer Park.  I enjoy watching him play!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Blacksmith
With the 2k points, he is a covid senior.  Some schools count the extra year when it should just be a redo year.
(02-21-2024, 11:44 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:
With the 2k points, he is a covid senior.  Some schools count the extra year when it should just be a redo year.

Yeah I don't know if Floyd Central did this or not but definitely doesn't count.
#BBFL
(02-21-2024, 11:46 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 11:44 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:

Yeah I don't know if Floyd Central did this or not but definitely doesn't count.
The 2k comes from 5 years of high school ball.  I also think Barnett 3k points is from a covid year as well but I could be mistaken.

Yeah so if you look on KHSAA both Samons and Barnett had two sophomore’s season. If you take the Covid sophomore season away which is the first season. Samons has only 1,687 points and Barnett has 2,750. Those are with the most recent updated stats. So both schools are counting their 2 sophomore’s years.
(02-21-2024, 11:39 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

Definitely an off night, he is absolute money 15 feet and in. He's an old school player that you'll see playing pick up games 20 years from now at Archer Park.  I enjoy watching him play!
He is, just a solid fundamental player.. Your right, he will never stop playing ball. He loves the sport more than almost anyone

I get what y'all mean by covid years, Ive laughed a little at all the 8th graders that played this year in middle school that were old enough to be sophomores....
That said I kinda hate to say anything because look at all the girls players who have 5 or 6 and sometimes 7 years worth of points in their HS career totals..
Either way they had lot more points than me so Ive got no right to judge ,LOL

I meant no disrespect towards him, that’s why I mentioned it being an off night. I don’t follow FC and couldn’t have told you one players name on their team before that game. I know every player has an off night every now and then.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • Blacksmith
(02-22-2024, 12:27 AM)Redneck Wrote:

I meant no disrespect towards him, that’s why I mentioned it being an off night. I don’t follow FC and couldn’t have told you one players name on their team before that game. I know every player has an off night every now and then.
no worries here bud, I dont think anyone took it that way.. Your rght, everyone has off nights..
That’s wild. A repeat Covid year shouldn’t go towards career points. You should only get to use the repeat year. That’s how grades worked for students who used Covid year. I wonder if the Lyons kid who broke king Kelly Coleman’s record was a Covid senior.
#BBFL
(02-22-2024, 12:53 AM)Spud6 Wrote: That’s wild. A repeat Covid year shouldn’t go towards career points. You should only get to use the repeat year. That’s how grades worked for students who used Covid year. I wonder if the Lyons kid who broke king Kelly Coleman’s record was a Covid senior.
I think he was his back when he was younger so he didn’t have the Covid option. He has been playing varsity since 7th grade and averaged 20 as a 7th grader. His record will probably never be broken. He had almost 1500 points by the end of his 8th grade year
(02-22-2024, 12:53 AM)Spud6 Wrote: That’s wild. A repeat Covid year shouldn’t go towards career points. You should only get to use the repeat year. That’s how grades worked for students who used Covid year. I wonder if the Lyons kid who broke king Kelly Coleman’s record was a Covid senior.
No Perry didn’t take a covid year.  I also think Ridgdon at Pike Central was legit as well.  

Robinson at BL last year. His career total included his Covid year. I think Frasure the year before that did as well.  A lot of local teams included it.   I don’t think Pikeville did with Samons.
(02-22-2024, 01:10 AM)Grinch1 Wrote:
No Perry didn’t take a covid year.  I also think Ridgdon at Pike Central was legit as well.  

Robinson at BL last year. His career total included his Covid year. I think Frasure the year before that did as well.  A lot of local teams included it.   I don’t think Pikeville did with Samons.

You are right about the two from Betsy Layne and they shouldn’t count.
#BBFL

#BBFL
(02-22-2024, 01:24 AM)Spud6 Wrote:

I agree they shouldn’t either.  The players that came before them and the players that will come after didn’t or won’t get to do 5 years of high school.  A lot of these 2k or 3k balls I’ve seen this year is all because of the Covid year.  I don’t think the KHSAA records will recognize it.
COVID years were also a special place in time unlike any other... no crowds, games getting canceled left and right, tons of player absences from the games and practices that occurred. It's kind of a disservice to count those as normal years as well. If they were like any others, there'd have been a State Tournament in 2020 and kids wouldn't have had the option to repeat-- can't fault them for playing within the parameters of the system they were handed.
(02-22-2024, 03:06 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote: COVID years were also a special place in time unlike any other... no crowds, games getting canceled left and right, tons of player absences from the games and practices that occurred. It's kind of a disservice to count those as normal years as well. If they were like any others, there'd have been a State Tournament in 2020 and kids wouldn't have had the option to repeat-- can't fault them for playing within the parameters of the system they were handed.
As far as stats wise go tho, they got to repeat a whole season. It was a re-do year. In a re-do year, you can’t count the stats from the season you are redoing.  Like Spud stated above, you couldn’t keep the same grades.  

Yeah I know the pandemic sucks, but they got to do the whole year over as far as stats are concerned.  Shouldn’t get to count the season that they were awarded a re/do. And besides the covid season they only got to play like 16-20 games, it’s not like they are taking away an entire season of stats.  It just replacing that partial season were all those games were canceled.  

The covid season wasn’t the year that State got canceled. Teams got to play the entire year minus State.  It’s the following season that kids got a chance to re-do.
(02-22-2024, 08:42 AM)Grinch1 Wrote:
(02-22-2024, 03:06 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote: COVID years were also a special place in time unlike any other... no crowds, games getting canceled left and right, tons of player absences from the games and practices that occurred. It's kind of a disservice to count those as normal years as well. If they were like any others, there'd have been a State Tournament in 2020 and kids wouldn't have had the option to repeat-- can't fault them for playing within the parameters of the system they were handed.
As far as stats wise go tho, they got to repeat a whole season. It was a re-do year. In a re-do year, you can’t count the stats from the season you are redoing.  Like Spud stated above, you couldn’t keep the same grades.  

Yeah I know the pandemic sucks, but they got to do the whole year over as far as stats are concerned.  Shouldn’t get to count the season that they were awarded a re/do. And besides the covid season they only got to play like 16-20 games, it’s not like they are taking away an entire season of stats.  It just replacing that partial season were all those games were canceled.  

The covid season wasn’t the year that State got canceled. Teams got to play the entire year minus State.  It’s the following season that kids got a chance to re-do.
As long as you had A’s and B’s you could count those grades. Several who used Covid was able to go on to the next grade the following year using Covid a then their 5th year was all AP classes and college courses. At least that’s how I’ve been told by some family who worked in the schools.
(02-22-2024, 07:42 PM)devils88 Wrote:
(02-22-2024, 08:42 AM)Grinch1 Wrote:

As long as you had A’s and B’s you could count those grades. Several who used Covid was able to go on to the next grade the following year using Covid a then their 5th year was all AP classes and college courses. At least that’s how I’ve been told by some family who worked in the schools.

That's not how it worked here in Floyd County.  The year you used for COVID your grades counted for that year you held back, you couldn't pick whichever grade you got the best on. You had to use the COVID years grades for the better or for the worse.
#BBFL