Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region tourney input?
I've seen most every team in region play  multiple games and I'll give my  thoughts on the top few teams.
1.Harlan is in a class of there on and Noah and Huff are playing at a high level,  other players are stepping up here late season witch makes Harlan a bigger favorite to win the tournament. I would easily take Harlan and give you the field. 
2 South Laurel getting Mabe back has put them  back in contention,  the defense is relentless and with players like Steele stepping up big here late season and providing a much needed boost to there offense has South a serious threat to take home the gold.  
3. North Laurel has came together at the right time and playing there best ball,  with Jervis and Rawlings playing great ball Brock being consistent North can can get hot and beat anyone. There doing all this with there best Player out, Davidson who should be back if not for district then definitely for Region. North has beat every top team in the region exept Harlan and played them to 7 points. Could it be a 3 peat?
4. Clay co is on a 11 game win streak and playing there best ball, Clay has the pieces to make a serious Run,  Harris is going to be a nightmare match up for most  teams and if you do contain him then you've got Bundy, Roark, Papa Bear and the list goes on who all could beat you. Keeping these guys focused with the task in hand will be challenging but if so they could cut the nets down. 
5. Corbin has been hit or miss of late but they have Been without Stuart witch he's back now. If Corbin can put 3 good games together they could get to Rupp, Worley is playing his best ball of the season, his offense has flourished in the last few games as has petrouskis, they've made a dangerous duo. Curry is the guy that's going to make big plays and give you everything,  Stuart from being off  gets back to playing at a high level will put Corbin being a team that nobody wants to play.
6. Bell co and Brad Sizemore has done a awesome job, I don't think anyone wants to play Bell co first game or any game as they are a team that could beat anyone on a given night.  I believe youth will be the factor that Keeps Bell from cutting the nets down.
7.Knox Central.  Depending on the draw Knox Central can get a win or two. Senior Chadwell is the best big man in the region but youth along side him will not be enough. 
8. Pineville.  Thomson and Mosier are scoring machines but want be enough to make it past the first round.. 

This is just my thoughts on everything and it very easily could end up totally opposite,  definitely going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Houndsmam1947's post:
  • Granny Bear, Van Hagar
1 and 2 are HC and SL and then with a significant drop off…

There is a grouping of Clay, North, Corbin, Bell that really determines on who plays who. Whoever draws HC and South will lose, but there’s also a scenario where the bracket could favor and you see them in the Region final. These are teams where it all matters on matchups. Some teams have great guards, some have great big men, and some have elite coaching, but none have all three. On paper clay and corbin have the size to beat Bell and North, but both teams have showed that they can get hot and beat you on the perimeter.

Knox has a matchup nightmare in the post and has decent enough youth to knock down some shots, especially when you are double teaming inside. Pineville has decent players but are not on the same tier.
Yeah, it's HC's to lose but South could beat them if they can keep Huff in check and not allow Noah to go for 40. Depending on the draw, I look for a HC/South battle for 13th region supremacy.
Harlan County, then everyone else. Not saying that they're unbeatable, just that the results we have make it hard to put anyone else with them at this moment.

Draw will play a huge part in how everyone else finishes. South Laurel was a very mortal team without a player that they've now only had back for a few games. Everyone is counting out Corbin, and that may be the way that they want it-- they were certainly more well regarded a month ago, and they've been without key players for some stretches in that span. Still think Corbin would probably want to avoid Harlan County due to the revenge factor-- last year's game is probably burnt into their memory.

However it works out, Harlan County is at a statistical disadvantage in that they'll be more likely to have a tougher road with both the 49th and 50th District winners and runners-up being split between both brackets that they'll have to go through. 2-in-3 chance that they draw a North Laurel, Clay County, Corbin, South Laurel, or Whitley County to open and then have to play the rest or someone who beat them from there.

Obviously that's still entirely possible, but there are easier draws for a winner who might only need to play one game above their head to get out.

No matter how the draw shakes out, there'll be, at minimum, four of seven games that have the potential to be very good and go either way on a given night.
It should be a fun year, of course everyone's picking HC, but I don't think the separation is as great as it was last year with North and the 2,3,4 teams, I do believe we have 3/4 teams that could cut down the nets and I wouldn't be surprised. The Arena and the depth perception factor is a real phenomenon for these kids, who'll it effect? It's all a matter of who gets the momentum and peaks at the right time.
Thankful for the kids in the 13th their officials will be elsewhere for the region tournament, they came to the 15th a couple of years ago and that was an absolute mess. Good luck to all teams! Go watch the Trent Noah show and enjoy!