Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wesley Hager Named Head Coach at Prestonsburg High School
Wesley Hager is the new head coach...announced by the Floyd co times on facebook..
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=850572470414366&set=a.679591154179166
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blacksmith's post:
  • 4AKentuckyBoy
Good luck to him.

Poor administration. Spineless admin.
I had heard Wes Hagers name mentioned every time I talked to people who were close to process. Going to make the Floyd central vs Prestonburg rivalry a little more interesting now. 

I wish him luck and hope the powers to be leave him alone and give him a chance so he can bring them back to what they once were.
I was told Wes knocked the interview out of the park and most importantly, he wanted to be here.

Happy for Wes…. Go Blackcats!!!
[-] The following 4 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blacksmith, jetpilot, Red and Black
(02-26-2024, 01:59 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: Good luck to him.

Poor administration. Spineless admin.
Elaborate?

(02-26-2024, 02:17 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I was told Wes knocked the interview out of the park and most importantly, he wanted to be here.

Great hire. Young offensive mind. Good luck to the Bearcats and Wes!
(02-26-2024, 02:17 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I was told Wes knocked the interview out of the park and most importantly, he wanted to be here.

I know alot of people who are good talkers lol. We’ll see what happens. Good Luck.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • jetpilot

He wanted to be here... To me that was very important.. I wish him the best
[-] The following 3 users Like Blacksmith's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32, Colonel4Life1999
I’m excited for this hire. Wes is young and has a lot of energy but has already had some great experience to this point. I know there will be people who have something to say, but I think long term Pburg will benefit from this hire! Year 1 may not be the prettiest, but give it time and things will turn around for the Blackcats!
I said it on another thread but I always thought that if they could not get some incredible hire with years of exp and proven track record then they should look for a young hungry coach who knows the landscape and wants to be there.. I think that is much better than just hiring a head coach with a loosing record because he has a few seasons under his belt, who likely does not even want to be there but took it for a pay raise..
I look forward to seeing what Hager can do.
Good luck Coach Hager!
I’ve spoken with him multiple times, a very nice young man. Wish him nothing but the best!
Congrats, Coach Hager! I think he's a young coach with a great offensive mind. As others have said, you didn't have to twist his arm to get him to come here. Best of luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatPride32's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Great hire. He is young with a connection to the school and unlikely to bolt for next new job. No guarantee of success for any new hire, but i believe he will stick around and have an excellent chance of rebuilding the program.
A shame of all shames how they handled the situation with current staff member Derek Newsome
[-] The following 2 users Like Rainmaker33's post:
  • EKY10, Redneck
(02-26-2024, 03:17 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: Congrats, Coach Hager! I think he's a young coach with a great offensive mind. As others have said, you didn't have to twist his arm to get him to come here. Best of luck!
Doesn’t he just run the belly? Only watched SC play one time. Watched them play Paintsville this past season. A young, inexperienced and rebuilding Paintsville team. Had Paintsville’s offense played like they did against PBurg, they would have won that game.

If the belly is what he is gonna run, how do ya think some of the parents are gonna react when their kid isn’t the Air Raid QB or the TD catching WR? 

Any names of potential assistant coaches? He’s gonna need a good staff.
(02-26-2024, 04:17 PM)Redneck Wrote: Doesn’t he just run the belly? Only watched SC play one time. Watched them play Paintsville this past season. A young, inexperienced and rebuilding Paintsville team. Had Paintsville’s offense played like they did against PBurg, they would have won that game.

If the belly is what he is gonna run, how do ya think some of the parents are gonna react when their kid isn’t the Air Raid QB or the TD catching WR? 

He runs more than belly or from the flexbone. 

He has ran some from the gun and also with the QB. They had an athlete that killed PBurg from the gun with QB sweeps in a similar manner to AJ Johnson from Paintsville.

As for potential assistants I know of a handful of former standout players that will help. None were on the previous staff.
I like this hire. Get someone who wants to be here and not just using it as a stepping stone. I liked the Bryce Tucker hire and now the Hager hire for this very reason. Kudos to the school on this. I think they did well.
[-] The following 3 users Like BCF4L's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Blacksmith, Colonel4Life1999
Be interesting to see what staff he puts together. Now will the parents get behind him when their baby isn’t the quarterback or score the most touchdowns?
[-] The following 2 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Redneck
(02-26-2024, 04:40 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 04:17 PM)Redneck Wrote: Doesn’t he just run the belly? Only watched SC play one time. Watched them play Paintsville this past season. A young, inexperienced and rebuilding Paintsville team. Had Paintsville’s offense played like they did against PBurg, they would have won that game.

He runs more than belly or from the flexbone. 

He has ran some from the gun and also with the QB. They had an athlete that killed PBurg from the gun with QB sweeps in a similar manner to AJ Johnson from Paintsville.

As for potential assistants I know of a handful of former standout players that will help. None were on the previous staff.
That’s good to hear, especially the staff. I guess that raises the question, where were those former standouts when Brewer was there? Did they offer to help and him turn them away, or vice versa?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Congratulations!!!
Great hire. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with a young, athletic team in the next year or two. I’ve got a feeling that if he reaches out to alumni he’ll be able to put together a solid staff of 10 or more former players fairly quickly. We’re very tired of losing around here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Red and Black's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
I’m not sure how much control he had over the play calling at Martin County

I do know he wants to run veer and shoot offense. Much like what Hawaii ran with Colt Brennan back in the day. So the ball will be thrown around some.

As for staff, I’ve heard names and I approve of them all. Should have some Blackcat greats from each of the last 4 decades on the staff. I won’t name names until things are finalized.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blacksmith
(02-26-2024, 08:38 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I’m not sure how much control he had over the play calling at Martin County

I do know he wants to run veer and shoot offense. Much like what Hawaii ran with Colt Brennan back in the day. So the ball will be thrown around some.

As for staff, I’ve heard names and I approve of them all. Should have some Blackcat greats from each of the last 4 decades on the staff. I won’t name names until things are finalized.
Hopefully he can do it with the daddy coaches staying out of his ear and the momma bears just cheering from the stands.  And the politics staying at the courthouse.
Now we're prophesying an NCAA record setting offense is coming to Pburg, straight outta Inez?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ring'Em Up's post:
  • Westside
(02-26-2024, 11:30 PM)Ring'Em Up Wrote: Now we're prophesying an NCAA record setting offense is coming to Pburg, straight outta Inez?
Only if you join the staff
(02-26-2024, 11:54 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 11:30 PM)Ring'Em Up Wrote: Now we're prophesying an NCAA record setting offense is coming to Pburg, straight outta Inez?
02-20-2024, 05:18 AM 

I really hope this isn’t true. If it is, I’m not sure which would be more suitable… laughing or crying.

"Literally" your response 6 days ago in the classic thread, to rumors of Wes being hired.
(02-27-2024, 12:13 AM)Ring'Em Up Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 11:54 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
02-20-2024, 05:18 AM 

I really hope this isn’t true. If it is, I’m not sure which would be more suitable… laughing or crying.

"Literally" your response 6 days ago in the classic thread, to rumors of Wes being hired.
Yeah, to the rumor he turned it down. Take a lap and try again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Red and Black
(02-26-2024, 07:02 PM)Red and Black Wrote: Great hire. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with a young, athletic team in the next year or two. I’ve got a feeling that if he reaches out to alumni he’ll be able to put together a solid staff of 10 or more former players fairly quickly. We’re very tired of losing around here.

Is that the best thing for the program?
Former players who have 0 coaching experience are going to help?

No risk from Hager taking this job. He succeeds, he did it young as an alum: he fails than it says more about the program than him.
Jarrell at Betsy Layne didn’t have any coaching experience did he prior to BL?Hager at least has been on a staff at the high school level and I’m sure his dad had taught him a few things
(02-27-2024, 08:41 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Jarrell at Betsy Layne didn’t have any coaching experience did he prior to BL?Hager at least has been on a staff at the high school level and I’m sure his dad had taught him a few things
Hager is a good coach, I’m talking about the potential assistants who are former players who magically want to coach now