Boys 15th Super Region Draw
First Four

Prestonsburg (4) v. Phelps (3)
@ Pike Central 
6 PM on Thursday

Paintsville (4) v. East Ridge (3)
@ Pikeville
Thursday (Time: Unsure)

Johnson Central and Betsy Layne receive the "bye".
So the winners of the 3/4 games and the two teams that got a bye, will go on to play each of the district runners up. The winners of those games, I assume will be played on Saturday. Will then get drawn to play the 4 district winners at Appalachian Wireless Arena next week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grinch1's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999
This format can’t work if a district isn’t aloud to get 4 teams in? Heard 3 was the limit on media network
All 4 can make it.
Wish all regions went to this format
(02-28-2024, 10:56 PM)TopSportsFan23 Wrote: Wish all regions went to this format

You say this until all anyone does is complain about it because something is changing. Lol
I still see advantages to a 3 team district after watching this in person
(03-01-2024, 02:28 PM)Sports72 Wrote: I still see advantages to a 3 team district after watching this in person

The 3 seeds in those 3 team district didn’t make it. Yes the 2 seeds in those districts do get home games. So yes that is an advantage I guess.  I don’t see the 2 seed in the 60th making it. Also the 2 seed in the 59th has a tough game against JC.  So the super regional will get the top 8 teams I believe.
District Runner Up v. Winner of 3/4 Games/BYE Teams PLAYED SATURDAY

TOP OF BRACKET

Paintsville @ Lawrence Co
7:30 PM
Winner Plays Pikeville Wednesday 3/6 at 6:30 PM @ App Wireless Arena

Betsy Layne @ Belfry
8:00 PM
Winner Plays Martin County Wednesday 3/6 at 7:45 PM @ App Wireless Arena

BOTTOM OF BRACKET

Prestonsburg @ Magoffin 
7:00 PM 
Winner Plays Floyd Central Thursday 3/7 at 6:30 PM @ App Wireless Arena

Johnson Central @ Shelby Valley
5:30 PM
Winner Plays Pike Central Thursday 3/7 at 7:45 PM @ App Wireless Arena

Any thoughts on these matchups/potential matchups down the road that result from these matchups?
Great draw for Pike Central. Tougher for Pikeville but they should be up to it. Would like to see a Pikeville/PC championship game, could be an instant classic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999
(03-01-2024, 02:48 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote: District Runner Up v. Winner of 3/4 Games/BYE Teams PLAYED SATURDAY

TOP OF BRACKET

Paintsville @ Lawrence Co
7:30 PM
Winner Plays Pikeville Wednesday 3/6 at 6:30 PM @ App Wireless Arena

Betsy Layne @ Belfry
8:00 PM
Winner Plays Martin County Wednesday 3/6 at 7:45 PM @ App Wireless Arena

BOTTOM OF BRACKET

Prestonsburg @ Magoffin 
7:00 PM 
Winner Plays Floyd Central Thursday 3/7 at 6:30 PM @ App Wireless Arena

Johnson Central @ Shelby Valley
5:30 PM
Winner Plays Pike Central Thursday 3/7 at 7:45 PM @ App Wireless Arena

Any thoughts on these matchups/potential matchups down the road that result from these matchups?
The top half of the bracket seems pretty tough.  Pikeville will have to play likely Lawrence County and Martin/BL winner to even get to regional finals. Same for Martin. BL then likely Pikeville.  Top half seems tough.  

Bottom half could have Magoffin and Pike Central in the semis. Could be a good potential matchup.  Floyd Central and Magoffin also could be a good game.
I like this format. No more 8-17 or 10-20 teams getting free rides into the region. I also think this will get a lot better crowds in the early round games at the expo. I think it’s a win win for everyone.
[-] The following 5 users Like IntheZone's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999, Grinch1, Ice61706, jetpilot, Ralph Furley
Super region is good - current format is bad. Still doesn’t allow for the two best teams to meet in championship.

Pikeville and Martin Co have been the top two teams all season and they have to play in the semis.
(03-01-2024, 03:44 PM)Ice61706 Wrote: Super region is good - current format is bad. Still doesn’t allow for the two best teams to meet in championship.

Pikeville and Martin Co have been the top two teams all season and they have to play in the semis.

So do you think the district champs should be seeded by RPI?
Can someone dumb this down for me please? I have no clue the setup, lol. I know the district winners are in the Elite 8 already. How do they determine the other games?
Pikeville Martin would have been good final but to say they have been the top 2 all year is inaccurate. Pikeville probably has been a solid number 1 but not to say Pike Central was not a solid number 2 is not correct. Pike Central has played arguably the hardest schedule in the region playing, Campbell county, Boyd twice, GRC and 2 of the top ranked teams in west Va. They have lost 8 games this year but have won 13 out of the last 15. They have 2 questionable losses against knott and Morgan (who are good teams) but it was at the beginning of the year. Nobody is playing as well as PCC is right now. I think a PCC and Pikeville final would also be an instant classic
(03-01-2024, 03:56 PM)Bluecat Wrote: Can someone dumb this down for me please? I have no clue the setup, lol. I know the district winners are in the Elite 8 already. How do they determine the other games?

District runner ups automatically got to play on Saturday. 2 games were played between 3/4 seeds, 2 teams that didn't make district finals got a BYE to Saturday to automatically play a district runner up with no play in game. The draw was based on attempting to keep district opponents on opposite sides of the bracket but there are cases (Pburg boys) where a 4 seed won their play in game last night and are lined up to play a district opponent possibly in the first round of games at the Arena. The only teams that drew were the champs and runners ups then the formula of keeping district opponents away from each other determined who plays who.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Colonel4Life1999's post:
  • Bluecat
(03-01-2024, 04:00 PM)Basketballjunky 1976 Wrote: Pikeville Martin would have been good final but to say they have been the top 2 all year is inaccurate.  Pikeville probably has been a solid number 1 but not to say Pike Central was not a solid number 2 is not correct.  Pike Central has played arguably the hardest schedule in the region playing, Campbell county, Boyd twice, GRC and 2 of the top ranked teams in west Va.  They have lost 8 games this year but have won 13 out of the last 15.  They have 2 questionable losses against knott and Morgan (who are good teams)  but it was at the beginning of the year.  Nobody is playing as well as PCC is right now.  I think a PCC and Pikeville final would also be an instant classic
Pikeville is playing as well as PC, they have won 19 of their last 21. PC scares me more than anyone though.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • #55PirateFan, Colonel4Life1999
In regards to earlier post…. Martin is a great team as well. Pikeville, Pike Central and Martin are 1.2 and 3 IMO.
My sleeper is Floyd Central.
(03-01-2024, 04:14 PM)Basketballjunky 1976 Wrote: In regards to earlier post…. Martin is a great team as well.  Pikeville, Pike Central and Martin are 1.2 and 3 IMO.
My sleeper is Floyd Central.

Floyd Central could shock some people, the (likely) FC-PCC matchup in the semi-finals is very intriguing!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Colonel4Life1999's post:
  • Basketballjunky 1976
I believe the final four will be Pikeville/Martin and Magoffin/PC. I believe Magoffin will knock out FC. FC doesn’t guard very well and I don’t think they can guard Barnett at all.

So with that prediction the 58th who gets 4 teams in super regional, won’t have a single team make the final 4. Starting tomorrow things get fun.
(03-01-2024, 04:20 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: I believe the final four will be Pikeville/Martin and Magoffin/PC.  I believe Magoffin will knock out FC. FC doesn’t guard very well and I don’t think they can guard Barnett at all. 

So with that prediction the 58th who gets 4 teams in super regional, won’t have a single team make the final 4.  Starting tomorrow things get fun.
Never which Magoffin team is gonna show up. They’re all Seniors except for Walker Russell. Will they come out and play like they are capable, knowing its lose and your high school careers are over, or will they come out and just go through the motions like they’ve done a lot of the year?
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
(03-01-2024, 05:25 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 04:20 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: I believe the final four will be Pikeville/Martin and Magoffin/PC.  I believe Magoffin will knock out FC. FC doesn’t guard very well and I don’t think they can guard Barnett at all. 

So with that prediction the 58th who gets 4 teams in super regional, won’t have a single team make the final 4.  Starting tomorrow things get fun.
Never which Magoffin team is gonna show up. They’re all Seniors except for Walker Russell. Will they come out and play like they are capable, knowing its lose and your high school careers are over, or will they come out and just go through the motions like they’ve done a lot of the year?
I agree.  They are very capable but you never know who will show up.  Another concern is if you put a solid defender on Barnett, and I mean a legit defender, can he play through that?  I’ve seen a couple games where he had a legit defender and he couldn’t do what he does well.  It’s not a physical thing(he’s capable), it’s a mental thing.  He will kind of give up a little and you can’t have that from your star.
(03-01-2024, 03:45 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 03:44 PM)Ice61706 Wrote: Super region is good - current format is bad. Still doesn’t allow for the two best teams to meet in championship.

So do you think the district champs should be seeded by RPI?
I don’t know the answer I just don’t feel like this format is it.  
The most logical answer would be to have all region teams play each other. Seed them 1 to 14 based on regional record. Play highest seed gets lowest seed all the way down.  Districts don’t matter.
I still see advantages to a 3 team district after watching this in person
Magoffin is good but not enough defense and if you can limit Barnett, they are toast. Floyd Central is good. Very athletic team. Not sure they have the discipline or inside game to compete with Pikeville, PC, or Martin. I like one of those 3 to win. Pikeville is best overall but have some games where they lay an egg. Martin is right there and obviously know how to beat Pikeville from last year. Different teams now though. Some kids from Pikeville have gotten a lot better since they played in all A earlier this year as well. Onkst and Slone light years ahead of where they were first meeting. I think Pikeville will beat them again but wouldn’t surprise me to see Martin County win and maybe even convincingly. PC will have the best player on the court if they meet Pikeville in the finals. Rigdon is difficult matchup for anyone. Stewart is solid especially when he decides to go inside some. Fitzer also tough for PC to match. The players around them are where Pikeville has the advantage. It would be a really good game and I think Pikeville wins but it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Hawks pull it out either. Pikeville doesn’t have a cakewalk in quarters with a likely Lawrence County matchup looming. Pikeville is better but I wouldn’t sleep on the Bulldogs. I don’t think they are good enough to win it all but they can cause some teams problems.
FYI, these games on saturday are considered region games and will be officiated by 14th region refs. This is the region the 15th is trading with and its interesting they drew each other in Sweet 16.
(03-02-2024, 03:35 PM)UK Fan14 Wrote: FYI, these games on saturday are considered region games and will be officiated by 14th region refs. This is the region the 15th is trading with and its interesting they drew each other in Sweet 16.
Yea idk if I like that.  Having refs from the region that were drawn for the state.   Too many ifs but most of the officials are professionals and conduct themselves that way.   Just surprised no one is complaining