Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Middle School Baseball
Pikeville should have a good club this season, playing 28 games. Their first game is on march 25th or 27th against Johnson Co. Middle
I agree it should be the same across the board, but 6th grade girls get to play jr. high and freshman basketball as well as volleyball. I'm just not sure why there is a difference between the girls and boys.
PHS95 Wrote:6th grade football had separate teams, I know.... cannot say for sure about bball!

I think, as long as it is a uniform decision across all sports, there is nothing wrong with it!

You can't compare baseball with basketball and football. Size and age do make a difference for the majority of kids in those two sports. But baseball is a sport where size and age is not as big of a factor.

If you adopt the attitude a kid should wait his turn, then you are telling him it doesn't matter how hard he works to make his self better because it is not going to matter. Also, this is not giving the older kids any incentive to work hard either because they know "it's their turn."

I don't think Shelby Valley basketball has this same attitude. If so, Elijah Justice wouldn't have started the regional tournament when he was in the 8th grade.

Bottom line..........If you are going to build a winning program year in and year out, you put your best players on the team, no matter who they are or how old they are.

I know Sam and I don't think he took it personal, but he understands what it takes to build a winning team and I know that's what he wanted to do for Pikeville.
I didn't say wait their turn.... Someone asked how it was with Football and basketball, I merely chimed in with the information I could.... I do, however, feel the rule should apply the same in all conditions.....
They didnt allow 6th graders to play up in basketball either its just one of those rules they have always went with and this why i guess they have sepaerate 6 th grade teams.
Skeeter1 Wrote:You can't compare baseball with basketball and football. Size and age do make a difference for the majority of kids in those two sports. But baseball is a sport where size and age is not as big of a factor.

If you adopt the attitude a kid should wait his turn, then you are telling him it doesn't matter how hard he works to make his self better because it is not going to matter. Also, this is not giving the older kids any incentive to work hard either because they know "it's their turn."

I don't think Shelby Valley basketball has this same attitude. If so, Elijah Justice wouldn't have started the regional tournament when he was in the 8th grade.

Bottom line..........If you are going to build a winning program year in and year out, you put your best players on the team, no matter who they are or how old they are.

I know Sam and I don't think he took it personal, but he understands what it takes to build a winning team and I know that's what he wanted to do for Pikeville.

I didn't compare them.... I provided info that someone asked about... they are in no way similar, though the rules should aply to all sports uniformly, IMO!:o
PHS95 Wrote:From what I understand, it boils down to not letting 6th graders compete.... I don't think it was personal!

By not letting 6th graders compete made it personal.
Schedule released:

March 25 - Johnson Central @ Pikeville - 6:00
----
March 27 - Virgie @ Pikeville - 6:00
----
April 3 - Virgie @ Shelby Valley - 6:00
----
April 5 - Magoffin County @ Magoffin - 1:00
----
April 7 - Paintsville @ Paintsville - 6:00
----
April 10 - Hazard @ Pikeville - 5:45
----
April 15 - Johnson Central @ Pikeville - 6:00
----
April 17 - Virgie @ Shelby Valley - 6:00
----
April 22 - Paintsville @ Pikeville - 6:00
----
April 26 - Lawrence County @ Lawrence - TBA
----
May 3 - Paintsville Tournament - TBA
----
May 6 - Hazard @ Hazard - 5:45
----
May 9 - Magoffin County @ Magoffin - 6:00
----
May 10 - Lawrence County @ Pikeville (8th Grade Night) - TBA

-Is any type of tournament like County possible?
-Looks like Johnson Central has all away games this season
If...Then Wrote:Schedule released:

March 25 - Johnson Central @ Pikeville - 6:00
----
March 27 - Virgie @ Pikeville - 6:00
----
April 3 - Virgie @ Shelby Valley - 6:00
----
April 5 - Magoffin County @ Magoffin - 1:00
----
April 7 - Paintsville @ Paintsville - 6:00
----
April 10 - Hazard @ Pikeville - 5:45
----
April 15 - Johnson Central @ Pikeville - 6:00
----
April 17 - Virgie @ Shelby Valley - 6:00
----
April 22 - Paintsville @ Pikeville - 6:00
----
April 26 - Lawrence County @ Lawrence - TBA
----
May 3 - Paintsville Tournament - TBA
----
May 6 - Hazard @ Hazard - 5:45
----
May 9 - Magoffin County @ Magoffin - 6:00
----
May 10 - Lawrence County @ Pikeville (8th Grade Night) - TBA

-Is any type of tournament like County possible?
-Looks like Johnson Central has all away games this season

The schedule is correct, as of now the May 10th date with Lawrence Co. is cancelled and looking to find someone to replace them with.
B-E-L-I-E-V-E Wrote:1st year for junior high baseball. Does anyone know who the coaches might be. Also any predictions on how good they will be this year.

Justin Arms is the head coach. I have no idea who his assistants will be.
Coach Arms seems like a good coach ive had time to talk to him and hes seems like he knows what hes doin, he did play baseball and football in college at Pikeville.
master the universe Wrote:By not letting 6th graders compete made it personal.

How is it personal when this is a stated policy?

You may, on the other hand, be right, but what would it serve to change the policy because someone who would be coach wants it to be so? This child may be talented, but if that is the "policy" for all sports except for girls bball, then KUDOS to the administration for not making an exception to a policy that has existed for quite some time to suit the interests of a few....

Too often, we see administrators who are supposed to be ensuring the best interests of all students give into pressure from one side or another, I am glad that this was not the case in this instance!

No offense intended, JMO!
We could debate this issue over and over. I know Sam and Priode personally
and they have been friends a long time. They both have pretty much the same
ideas on how to improve the baseball progam. Sam is the one who has been trying for the past two years to get them to start a middle school baseball program. He told Priode that if sixth graders could not play that he was going to go ahead with his traveling team,because he could not let his boy just set around for three months and not play. Priode understand this and this has never been a personal issue with those guys I'm sure of. Sam is glad they finally started the program and hopes they do well. Sam and his team I think
are opening up in Tennessee the first week of April. On the other hand, how can you say this has been policy for many a year when this is the first year Pikeville has ever had a middle school baseball team. I would bet the farm that
there is not a written policy anywhere.
I know that, even in the 90's, the only sport they let 6th graders participate in was Girls bball.... that's what I meant.... it could have changed in between sometime, but it is my understanding that this is still the case.... sorry for the confusion....

Maybe someone who knows more could fill us in!
Redneck Wrote:Justin Arms is the head coach. I have no idea who his assistants will be.

Isn't he from Paintsville?
If so is Johnson County upset that they are losing a lot of coaches out of their area?
Personally I enjoy seeing the infusion of youth into the sports scene.
Capt. DH Wrote:Isn't he from Paintsville?
If so is Johnson County upset that they are losing a lot of coaches out of their area?

Yes, he and Coach Adam Collins (varsity assistant) are both from Paintsville.
IRISH4 Wrote:Yes, he and Coach Adam Collins (varsity assistant) are both from Paintsville.

I am glad that we got those guys down here. Add them to some other young guys like Matt Branham, Paul Sullivan, and Jason Gravy Anderson and you have a nice influx of young coaching talent that will hopefully be at Pikeville for a long time.
Capt. DH Wrote:I am glad that we got those guys down here. Add them to some other young guys like Matt Branham, Paul Sullivan, and Jason Gravy Anderson and you have a nice influx of young coaching talent that will hopefully be at Pikeville for a long time.

I feel the same way nicely stated Cap. DH
On-And-On-Again Wrote:Coach Arms seems like a good coach ive had time to talk to him and hes seems like he knows what hes doin, he did play baseball and football in college at Pikeville.

Yes he played both at Pikeville College. He is from Paintsville, doin his student teachin at Pikeville Middle under another Johnson Countian, head basketball coach Bart Williams. He is one of my best friends, have played ball with him my whole life, he does know what he's doin. He was catcher his whole life, split time our junior and senior year, when he didn't catch he played OF or just DH'd.
Capt. DH Wrote:Isn't he from Paintsville?

Some are mad because they think these boys have turned their backs on their Alma Mater, which is NOT the case and I personally think that's pretty childish for some to think that about these boys. Paintsville turned Adam Collins down, I don't blame him one bit for goin to Pikeville. Justin is hopin to get on at Pikeville cause the pay is much better and he likes it up there and wants to continue on with this baseball program, build it up into a great feeder program for the high school.
Redneck Wrote:Some are mad because they think these boys have turned their backs on their Alma Mater, which is NOT the case and I personally think that's pretty childish for some to think that about these boys. Paintsville turned Adam Collins down, I don't blame him one bit for goin to Pikeville. Justin is hopin to get on at Pikeville cause the pay is much better and he likes it up there and wants to continue on with this baseball program, build it up into a great feeder program for the high school.
You will never find better people than Adam and Justin. Period!
I hated it that Paintsville turned Adam down. Big mistake in my book. But he has learned early that it ain't the same in Paintsville, anymore! I don't blame Justin a bit if he was able to stay at Pikeville! My daughter is in education at MSU and we have told her that anywhere but back home we she is ready to teach.
The Guru Wrote:You will never find better people than Adam and Justin. Period!
I hated it that Paintsville turned Adam down. Big mistake in my book. But he has learned early that it ain't the same in Paintsville, anymore! I don't blame Justin a bit if he was able to stay at Pikeville! My daughter is in education at MSU and we have told her that anywhere but back home we she is ready to teach.
Just asking a question. Would there have been nepotism issues if Paintsville would have hired Adam? I'm not sure how it actually applies . Could that have been the reason?

Next question, if nepotism was not an issue. Was there an available position for either one?
is a county tournament or related possible?