Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
13th region tournament draw
Knox vs North Laurel
Bell vs Corbin

South Laurel vs Harlan Co
Clay vs Pineville

Thoughts?
Nothing has changed since the beginning of the season. Corbin- Harlan County in the finals. Harlan County, 13th region champions.
I don’t disagree. Harlan Co got a rougher road it seems.
(03-02-2024, 05:01 PM)Franchise Wrote: I don’t disagree. Harlan Co got a rougher road it seems.

Yeah, but they're are that much better than everyone else, although I think that South is the one team that can make them work for it. If South can curtail Huff and keep Noah from going for 35 or 40, they have a chance.
Huff and Noah have played basketball together ever since they could walk. Their mothers are sisters and a close knit family.

As far as the draw is concerned, HC NEVER has had a decent draw for this tournament. (sigh)
(03-02-2024, 05:49 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Huff and Noah have played basketball together ever since they could walk.  Their mothers are sisters and a close knit family.

As far as the draw is concerned, HC NEVER has had a decent draw for this tournament.  (sigh)

No district winner wanted to see South Laurel and Mabe. I think the Bears win but Davis and his boys can really play defense. I'll still take the Bears with only moderate sweat.
Bottom half is loaded, 3 of the top 4 teams are on the same side. Corbin will be kicking themselves if they aren’t in the Finals. We’ve seen this happen before and 3 of the top teams beat up on each other only for the 4th or 5th best team to wind up winning it all with an easier path.
(03-02-2024, 05:49 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Huff and Noah have played basketball together ever since they could walk.  Their mothers are sisters and a close knit family.

As far as the draw is concerned, HC NEVER has had a decent draw for this tournament.  (sigh)

Trent seems like a really nice young man. I really like his demeanor on the court. I'm sure Madison(Huff) is, as well. Who was that little HC guard  from several years ago who could light it up from distance, and I mean LOOOOOONG distance! Kid had no limit to his range. LOVED watching him!   I think he was a Carmichael.
As bad as you could have drawn it up for Harlan County.

Will be good for this Clay County team to get another game together in the Arena, but I hope they don't overlook a Pineville team that has defeated Scott County and played the Tigers within 20 already this season.

If it comes to pass, the Clay County-Harlan County game will be one that I want to see.
Cameron Carmichael; half brother to Maddox and first cousin to Noah.
Smile
(03-02-2024, 06:41 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: As bad as you could have drawn it up for Harlan County.

Will be good for this Clay County team to get another game together in the Arena, but I hope they don't overlook a Pineville team that has defeated Scott County and played the Tigers within 20 already this season.

If it comes to pass, the Clay County-Harlan County game will be one that I want to see.
Me too.  They were scheduled to play earlier in the season but the game was cancelled.  HC fans said that Mike cancelled it; I'm sure Clay fans will say that Kyle cancelled it.
Smile
I don’t think they were scheduled to play. The only opportunity was the Mountain Classic. Unless it was a schedule that was made last year.
Cameron Carmical is an assistant coach for the Bears and played at EKU. He helped lead Harlan County to the 13th Region title in 2017.
Anyone have the schedule (nights and game times)?
Knox vs North Laurel, March 6 at ,6
Bell vs Corbin, March 6 at 7:30

South Laurel vs Harlan Co, March 7 at 6
Clay vs Pineville, March 7 at 7:30

Semifinals March 9 at 1, second game at 2:30
Finals March 11 at 7

This is the schedule my nephew gave me, but he's also the one who told me HC and Clay Co had been scheduled to play. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(03-02-2024, 06:42 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Cameron Carmichael; half brother to Maddox and first cousin to Noah.
Smile

I LOVED watching that kid play, although he killed us .
HC and Clay were scheduled to play and it was a mutual agreement to cancel the game
[-] The following 1 user Likes runthepill's post:
  • Granny Bear
(03-03-2024, 01:35 AM)runthepill Wrote: HC and Clay were scheduled to play and it was a mutual agreement to cancel the game

I’m going to guess that was done before the schedules were officially released on KHSAA then. Clay and Harlan County rarely play in the regular season since HC became a school. Now, they’ve met in the tournament quite a few times.
(03-02-2024, 08:12 PM)HCS Wrote: Cameron Carmical is an assistant coach for the Bears and played at EKU. He helped lead Harlan County to the 13th Region title in 2017.

HCS, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that when the Bears hit some incredible percentage, like 75 or 80%, especially in  the first half, against Corbin and Andrew Taylor. The game ended up being very close. HC shot the lights out, and had to, to win that game.
Yes, that's true. They played a tremendous game and led most of the way, but Taylor made it real close at the end. Spurlock hit several shots early to put HC ahead, then Carmical hit two free throws to clinch it.
Cam was also the one who made that 70' shot that beat Perry County Central out of the WYMT Classic, with 1 second left.
I still like Harlan Co., because they are the best team in the region. But man, just the worst possible draw, South who with Mabe back is a definite threat, then almost surely a Clay Co. team that seems to be peaking at just the right time, then probably a dangerous Corbin squad. Very interesting.

By the way, remember when the 13th moved to the Arena, and there was all that whining that it would give Corbin an unfair advantage? It’s been there every season except one for 15 years now, and Corbin has won it twice there. (Correct me if I’m wrong HCS, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case). And both those years they were the best team, the Andrew Taylor year, and earlier the Madison Johnson, Isaac Wilson team, which I still think was the best 13th region team of the 2000’s. Harlan Co. this year has a chance to surpass that I think.
(03-03-2024, 08:40 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Cam was also the one who made that 70' shot that beat Perry County Central out of the WYMT Classic, with 1 second left.

I can see that. 70 feet is definitely within his range.. Smile   That rascal was fun to watch!!!
(03-03-2024, 08:51 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I still like Harlan Co., because they are the best team in the region. But man, just the worst possible draw, South who with Mabe back is a definite threat, then almost surely a Clay Co. team that seems to be peaking at just the right time, then probably a dangerous Corbin squad. Very interesting.

By the way, remember when the 13th moved to the Arena, and there was all that whining that it would give Corbin an unfair advantage? It’s been there every season except one for 15 years now, and Corbin has won it twice there. (Correct me if I’m wrong HCS, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case). And both those years they were the best team, the Andrew Taylor year, and earlier the Madison Johnson, Isaac Wilson team, which I still think was the best 13th region team of the 2000’s. Harlan Co. this year has a chance to surpass that I think.

I believe that one year, it was held at HCHS.  Had plenty of room and parking; and I LOVED the atmosphere!!!  So much better than using opera glasses at the Arena.
But there was a whole lot of complaining and whining and even threats!!!
It was at Harlan Co. and I loved it as well. It will be a while before their turn in the hosting rotation comes up again, but I hope they have it there again then.

The Arena has a lot going for it, plenty of seats and all chair backs, plenty of room up top to walk around the concession and bathroom areas, and I understand why it is the host site. But it is a very sterile environment for basketball to say the least.
I see Harlan winning the region, I thought so after getting to see all these
teams play this season. They just seem to play well together as a team
and read each other on the court well. If I had any money to bet on the
region, it would be placed on Harlan. Good luck to all the teams that
will represent this area of the country. I'm glad to be a fan of this
Region!
Love to see Harlan vs Clay
I don't think Clay will be much of an obstacle for the Ursus Americanus. Bears- double digits.
(03-03-2024, 08:51 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I still like Harlan Co., because they are the best team in the region. But man, just the worst possible draw, South who with Mabe back is a definite threat, then almost surely a Clay Co. team that seems to be peaking at just the right time, then probably a dangerous Corbin squad. Very interesting.

better than south laurel that won the state championship?
No. But South was still in the 12th when they won. They moved to the 13th the next year.