Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region 08
Who should be the teams to look at for (strong) and who should be the teams down from last year (weak)?
Powell County will be strong this year after returning 5 seniors, and they also have Brewer who will be strong on the mound. And I would say Estill County is right up there with them. They return Freeman, Christopher, Napier, Boian, Benidict, and Isaacs. Two great teams, cant wait to see em play.
Leslie will be in there again. They are being overlooked right now but this is all just pre-season talk. Just as last year when all the talk was about Estill and Powell. Leslie was sitting in the region finals again by the end of the season.
Letcher Central will be there in the end. They have a young group that loves to play and the best Coach in the 14th. Coach Dean is a baseball fanatic! A workhorse!!
thegr81 Wrote:Letcher Central will be there in the end. They have a young group that loves to play and the best Coach in the 14th. Coach Dean is a baseball fanatic! A workhorse!!

CHRIS VARNEY = Workhorse!!!!:kneel:
14th Champ Wrote:CHRIS VARNEY = Workhorse!!!!:kneel:
Very bold statement 14th Champ. I must agree. :wieghts: Smile
Powell will look to recollect themselves after an early exit in the first round of district play last year against Estill. They lost around 4 or 5 starters due to graduation, but still return 5 very experienced players that have started since they were freshmen and sophomore's. Perry Central will have a pretty decent team, although they did lose some very good athletes to graduation. Couch was an excellent all around player and helped carry the team. Coach Dean will always have LCC ready to play. Hazard will definitely be a top team as well. Should be a great season in 08' for the 14th.

Totally agree.TongueirateSho
Doesn't Powell have a couple of good freshman coming up this yr.?
lcc has a lot of work to do if they want to match up with the team they had last year. but coach dean will have them ready to go. hazard should be in the running as well and peryy central will proboley win it all behing next years mvp brandon napier. look out for lcc in the next couple of years because they will be a force to be reckened with.
Chris Vaney is he from Hazard???
MVP2 Wrote:Chris Vaney is he from Hazard???

Ummm....I think so. He coaced football and baseball here his first year and went strictly yo baseball after that. But I do think he is from Hazard.
bluegrassballa Wrote:Ummm....I think so. He coaced football and baseball here his first year and went strictly yo baseball after that. But I do think he is from Hazard.

oh alright, I knew there was a Chris Vaney that played at Hazard and I think he might have helped with baseball at HHS and I know he loves baseball so I was wondering if it was the same one or not.
Region will be played at Estill, who has new lights and a terrific field... home turf advantage should put Estill in the hunt, a very strong contender to win the 14th.
Estill will be a very solid team this year! LCC will be VERY YOUNG but will put a solid and well coached team on the field! A team to watch for in the future..THAT'S FOR SURE!
thecavemaster Wrote:Region will be played at Estill, who has new lights and a terrific field... home turf advantage should put Estill in the hunt, a very strong contender to win the 14th.

I'm pretty sure the regional baseball tournament is going to be held at Breathitt County in 2008, and then in Hazard in 2009.
rawlingsfan Wrote:I'm pretty sure the regional baseball tournament is going to be held at Breathitt County in 2008, and then in Hazard in 2009.

For the regionals to be held at either of these fields, there has to be some work done. Hazard doesn't have any seating. They do have lights. Hazard could still host the tournament, but would have to be at another field. Probably at Perry Central's.

Breathitt needs more seating as well. I have no idea where an alternate field could be used.

I hope that both schools can upgrade before the tournament. It would be good for both programs and for the 14th baseball tournament.
Im pretty sure that the region will be held anywhere. The year before last the region was held at Buckhorn if im not mistakin. No offense but they dont have the best seating.

And by the way region is held at Breathitt.
baseball_dad Wrote:For the regionals to be held at either of these fields, there has to be some work done. Hazard doesn't have any seating. They do have lights. Hazard could still host the tournament, but would have to be at another field. Probably at Perry Central's.

Breathitt needs more seating as well. I have no idea where an alternate field could be used.

I hope that both schools can upgrade before the tournament. It would be good for both programs and for the 14th baseball tournament.

KHSAA Minimum Requirements and Recommendations, Baseball Tournament Sites
SEATING (for Regional Tournament):
"There shall be adequate seating available for attendance figures for the past five years. This shall require a minimum of 200 bleacher seats (temporary or permanent) between dugouts"

I don't think either of these schools will have problems finding five or six sets of aluminum bleachers to host the region.

If you are saying Varney is a better coach than Dean you are either blind, crazy, or a relative of varney. Dean is the best coach in this region hands down!!:mad:
thegr81 Wrote:If you are saying Varney is a better coach than Dean you are either blind, crazy, or a relative of varney. Dean is the best coach in this region hands down!!:mad:

i dont know if dean is by far the best, but seeing what he did last season is remarkable...he definetely knows how to get the most out of his players...im not sure how long he's been coaching, but the longevity of hammonds, meehan, and even dixon are a testament to their good coaching...so to put him above those guys would be a stretch, but dean is well on his way to passing those guys, and varney is a great coach but he also has alot of work to do to catch up to these guys, so if he is a workhorse like you say, then he should prove himself in years to come...
baseball_dad Wrote:For the regionals to be held at either of these fields, there has to be some work done. Hazard doesn't have any seating. They do have lights. Hazard could still host the tournament, but would have to be at another field. Probably at Perry Central's.

Both these fields are in every bit as good of shape as Perry Central's was last year. Anybody can move in those bleachers at the last minute the way they did. As far as field conditions, Hazard's is far superior to PCC's and Breathitt's is every bit as good.
Same ole Same ole. Powell, Hazard, Estill, Leslie, Perry, one of these teams will win, why do we even have this conversation its pretty much the same contenders every year. Btw Meehans wins came from a loaded team that my grandmother could have coached to the regional championship. He has had a decent team the last 2 years with absolutely nothing to show for it. Same with Hammonds terrible for the last....well since i have been following high school baseball....these guys cant coach there way out of a paper box...Bryan deans teams are always prepared no matter the talent level, they are going to bring a strong game. Dixon will also have his team prepared and they are always pretty solid and not always the best players. Chris Varney also took a mediocre team and won the region, though being a young coach i think he learned the error of his ways from the low strength of schedule last year, look for him to emerge as a great coach in the 14th and look for Powell to contend again this year.
Powell will be very good, along with PCC . I think KCC will make a very good run in the 14th this year coach Hammond's knows how to win.
so who is the pre-season favorite?
OMG Wrote:so who is the pre-season favorite?
Any top 5 team. Estill, Powell, Hazard, PCC, or LCC. These are the teams most commonly seen in Region play.
Godspeed Wrote:Any top 5 team. Estill, Powell, Hazard, PCC, or LCC. These are the teams most commonly seen in Region play.

well i guess thats what im asking, which of these 5 have the best chance of winning it...i heard LCC was down from last year, after watching them in sectionals its a miracle they won the region in the first place, but they played harder than any team id seen....but the other 4 im not that familiar with...
OMG Wrote:well i guess thats what im asking, which of these 5 have the best chance of winning it...i heard LCC was down from last year, after watching them in sectionals its a miracle they won the region in the first place, but they played harder than any team id seen....but the other 4 im not that familiar with...

Agreed. LCC was probably the sixth best team in the 14th last year - regular season vs. PCC (0-1), Estill (0-1), Leslie (0-1), Hazard (0-2), Powell (DNP)

Same could be said for Powell in '06, they were probably the 4th best team behind Leslie Co. (DNP), Lee Co. (2-1), PCC (0-1).

PCC in '05, probably 3rd best team, behind Powell (0-1), Leslie (1-2).

Team that plays the best defense and gets hot at the plate has won it the last three years. The favorable draw has helped too, none of the three winners over the past three years has had to play a 54th or 56th district team in the opening game. PCC didn't have to play a team from the 54th/56th until the finals in '05.
OMG Wrote:well i guess thats what im asking, which of these 5 have the best chance of winning it...i heard LCC was down from last year, after watching them in sectionals its a miracle they won the region in the first place, but they played harder than any team id seen....but the other 4 im not that familiar with...

1a. Powell Co. has to be the favorite because of their pitching depth and what they return from last year.

1b. Estill Co. with a favorable draw could possibly use Freeman who is the most dominant pitcher in the 14th, in the first game and finals of the regional tournament.
hoot owl Wrote:1a. Powell Co. has to be the favorite because of their pitching depth and what they return from last year.

1b. Estill Co. with a favorable draw could possibly use Freeman who is the most dominant pitcher in the 14th, in the first game and finals of the regional tournament.

but they are in the same district right? so theres a possibility that only one of them will make it?