Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toughest Sports Loss You've Ever Suffered as a Fan ?
In the basketball forum we were talking about how much games really mean. As I've gotten older, I shrug off losses much easier than I used to. Back in my younger days, when my team lost, the terrible feeling stayed with me days, sometimes weeks, or more. What sports loss did you take the hardest, as a fan (or player)?

For me, there's a clear #1 ...Montana to Taylor .  Superbowl XXIII .  34 damn seconds from me being the happiest guy alive. Instead, it was the worst day of my life, at the time.   I cried !!!   I'm glad I found perspective in the 35 years since.  LOL

What was your toughest sports setback?  

On the flip side.  feel free to add your most exhilarating win?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Cactus Jack
The only loss that upset me as a fan the UK/Duke game in 1992.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(02-21-2024, 08:13 PM)Jarons Wrote: The only loss that upset me as a fan the UK/Duke game in 1992.

I knew that one would come up very quickly. That was, indeed, a tough one.

As a young teenager, I was pretty darn disappointed when the Hounds lost 14-13 in the State AA title game. Corbin went for a two-pt. conversion instead of opting for the tie. The Corbin RB was stopped just inches from the goal line, which would have given them back-to back state titles.
(02-21-2024, 08:15 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 08:13 PM)Jarons Wrote: The only loss that upset me as a fan the UK/Duke game in 1992.

As a young teenager, I was pretty darn disappointed when the Hounds lost 14-13 in the State AA title game. Corbin went for a two-pt. conversion instead of opting for the tie. The Corbin RB was stopped just inches from the goal line, which would have given them back-to back state titles.

Despite Kentucky losing, that was by far the best game I had ever watched. It was like two boxers landing haymaker after haymaker and the opponent would not go down. 
Every now and then I will pull up that game on YouTube to watch. The quality of play by both teams was amazing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The loss after being undefeated and losing to Wisconsin has been the worst for me. I'm 29
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(02-21-2024, 09:14 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 08:15 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Despite Kentucky losing, that was by far the best game I had ever watched. It was like two boxers landing haymaker after haymaker and the opponent would not go down. 
Every now and then I will pull up that game on YouTube to watch. The quality of play by both teams was amazing.

VERY high level of play by both teams in that classic.
2 come to mind
The 92 loss to Duke (Still can't watch the replay)
The Bengals loss in Super Bowl LVI (Too young to remember XXIII
(02-22-2024, 02:10 PM)Bluecat Wrote: 2 come to mind
The 92 loss to Duke (Still can't watch the replay)
The Bengals loss in Super Bowl LVI (Too young to remember XXIII

If I had been in my 20's instead of my 50's, I probably would have cried at that one , too. Goodell and his goons are criminals.  They were gonna give the Rams every chance to get that touchdown.
  • Bluecat
Carson Palmers leg injury in the playoffs, was at the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(02-22-2024, 09:58 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Carson Palmers leg injury in the playoffs, was at the game.
That game was over the moment that happened. Just overwhelming and utterly deflating. We would have won that game without the injury.

The Krumrie broken leg in SB23 was deflating in a similar way but the Bengals recovered, only to lose with 34 ticks left.
Duke 92', though it was a game for the ages.. I cant even watch the shot to this day without getting annoyed

The Red's have given me stomach ach's a few times too
(02-24-2024, 12:32 AM)Blacksmith Wrote: Duke 92', though it was a game for the ages.. I cant even watch the shot to this day without getting annoyed

The Red's have given me stomach ach's a few times too

Losing that 7th game against the A's at Riverfront in '72 was a tough one. 

Hoping for 90 wins this season.
Kentucky Basketball-- all of these are tied for different reasons (including sentimental ones):
15  - Wisconsin - Final Four
97 - Arizona - NCAA Final
92 - Duke - Elite Eight
14 - UConn - Final

Kentucky Football--
97 - Florida - In hindsight, I don't even know why I was excited
03 - Arkansas - 8 OT game
03 - Florida - went into the 4th with a 21 point lead
07 - Tennessee - one of many squandered to the puke-orange Vols

NBA --
03 - Kings vs. Lakers -- loved watching the Kings move the ball and play so loose but came to realize just how fixed the NBA was and haven't looked at the game in the same light since. The Donaghy scandal proves that this isn't some tinfoil hat theory. This one is probably one of the toughest in a "life just isn't fair and never will be" sense.

NFL --
19 - Texans vs. Chiefs -- Houston builds a 24-0 lead before falling 51-31.

MLB --
95 - Reds vs. Braves -- I knew that this was the end and that it'd be a long time before they were good again.

High School --
99 - Tilghman vs. Scott County -- not quite high school basketball's definition of righteous indignation, but it's one that most of us collectively witnessed and it probably doesn't need tons of explanation. This is the worst that I've felt for a group of kids after a Sweet 16 game.
In the past EKU football loses would make me mad for a day or two at most, but I would never describe them as tough. Even loses as a player never devastated me. I have always tried to keep things in perspective, and at the end of the day, they are just ball games.
(03-01-2024, 08:35 AM)Westside Wrote: In the past EKU football loses would make me mad for a day or two at most, but I would never describe them as tough.  Even loses as a player never devastated me.  I have always tried to keep things in perspective, and at the end of the day, they are just ball games.

THANK YOU!!! Somebody gets it!

Westside, I love your passion for EKU. Some of the best years of my life was when I was in Richmond from '80-'82 watching Corbin's Steve Bird and Pineville's Tuck Woolum help lead Coach Kidd's Colonels to those national championship games . It was a great time to be on campus.
  • Westside