Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin County 78 Floyd Central 68 (15th Region First Round)
Final.
Barnett put the team on his back in the second half and took charge, finishing with 35 points. Walker Russell came up huge with some big time rebounds and put backs. Grayson Whitaker had a cold night from the field, but he made big free throws down the stretch to help seal the deal for the Hornets. Ethan Salyer hit some big shots. After watching the JC/PC game, we are gonna HAVE to get after it on defense, especially getting back after an offensive possession. We play lazy a lot. We can’t do that against JC. They’re young, they’re hungry, and we’ve beat them 3 times this season. They’re gonna come out and get after our ass.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Barnett has to be one of the best, if not the best high school player to come through Magoffin County. The kid can flat out play.
(03-08-2024, 10:26 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: Barnett has to be one of the best, if not the best high school player to come through Magoffin County. The kid can flat out play.
I’m not denying he is good.  The 15th region historically is one the weakest in the state. In his post game interview he’s stated in 7 years this is his first trip to the region tournament.(He had two sophomore years). 

To me numbers aren’t everything. It’s how you affect winning that makes you a great player.  For him to put all those numbers up and only get to the final 8 one time in 7 years. It does say something. It’s not like they’ve had bad teams in his 7 years. He is a tremendous scorer and more than likely will get to the regional final based on their current draw. I just would expect more from someone if they’re consider to be the best player in magoffin history is all.  Good luck to him and his team the rest of the way.
(03-08-2024, 11:00 AM)Grinch1 Wrote:
(03-08-2024, 10:26 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: Barnett has to be one of the best, if not the best high school player to come through Magoffin County. The kid can flat out play.
I’m not denying he is good.  The 15th region historically is one the weakest in the state. In his post game interview he’s stated in 7 years this is his first trip to the region tournament.(He had two sophomore years). 

To me numbers aren’t everything. It’s how you affect winning that makes you a great player.  For him to put all those numbers up and only get to the final 8 one time in 7 years. It does say something. It’s not like they’ve had bad teams in his 7 years. He is a tremendous scorer and more than likely will get to the regional final based on their current draw. I just would expect more from someone if they’re consider to be the best player in magoffin history is all.  Good luck to him and his team the rest of the way.
Numbers aren’t everything, but it takes more than one guy. Some may not like it or wanna hear it, but Magoffin has been outcoached a bunch. Last years 1st round exit in districts is a prime example of that. That’s what worries me about this 4th matchup of the season against JC. Tommy McKenzie is one of the best. I won’t be surprised if JC knocks us off.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • Grinch1

To defend him he has had to play in the toughest district and hasn’t had a lot of help those years. Either JC, Martin, or Paintsville has won region most years he’s been playing so he’d made region if Magoffin was in the 58th, 59th or 60th most likely
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Card2000
(03-08-2024, 12:07 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

To defend him he has had to play in the toughest district and hasn’t had a lot of help those years. Either JC, Martin, or Paintsville has won region most years he’s been playing so he’d made region if Magoffin was in the 58th, 59th or 60th most likely
I agree the 57th has been tough but if you’re the best player in school history you should be able to win one district tournament game in 6 seasons prior to this year is all I’m saying.
So another disappointing end in a season of high expectations for Floyd Central.  What has to happen for this program to finally start being a true powerhouse in the 15th?
(03-08-2024, 01:57 PM)daredevil4life Wrote: So another disappointing end in a season of high expectations for Floyd Central.  What has to happen for this program to finally start being a true powerhouse in the 15th?
They graduate 4 of their top 6 guys.  Spriggs and Boyd return. Need to start developing the younger guys and the 8th grade class at DACE is pretty ok.  Need a new coach that can develop that younger talent and prepare them for the future.  Current coach has had those covid seniors for awhile and they never seem to get over the hump.  That tells me either it’s coaching decisions or the coach can’t develop players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grinch1's post:
  • daredevil4life