Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic vs. Great Crossing Updates (11th Region Championship)
This should be a great game. These two have been the top 2 teams in the 11th all-season. They are also the #1 and #2 teams in the state currently. It is sad that one of the top teams in the state will not make it to Rupp. These two teams met about 6 weeks ago on a neutral court and the game was won by Great Crossing 58-50. Great Crossing goes into the game at 33-1 and Lexington Catholic enters the game at 32-2. Great Crossing has not lost to a KY team this season. Catholic's 2 losses came to Great Crossing and Lyon Co. I am looking forward to watching this one. It can be seen for free on Glicod Sports. It is Tuesday, March 12th at 7:00pm from Dunbar HS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Westside
(03-10-2024, 12:16 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: This should be a great game. These two have been the top 2 teams in the 11th all-season. They are also the #1 and #2 teams in the state currently. It is sad that one of the top teams in the state will not make it to Rupp. These two teams met about 6 weeks ago on a neutral court and the game was won by Great Crossing 58-50. Great Crossing goes into the game at 33-1 and Lexington Catholic enters the game at 32-2. Great Crossing has not lost to a KY team this season. Catholic's 2 losses came to Great Crossing and Lyon Co. I am looking forward to watching this one. It can be seen for free on Glicod Sports. It is Tuesday, March 12th at 7:00pm from Dunbar HS.
Your prediction? GC definitely has the length advantage and athleticism, but LC has the shooters and the basketball version of X and O’s. I say last second basket by LC and a win or foul and free throw line to for the win GC.
I am kinda leaning towards Catholic a lot of their players have been in this atmosphere they were in this same game last year and lost a tough one to Frederick Douglass. However, I think the game will hinge in Vince Dawson if he plays like he did against Bryan Station Great Crossing will win if not Catholic will win.

I think Catholic is playing with house money most everyone has picked Great Crossing since October. It should be one of the best regional finals in the state.
This one will be appointment viewing for me. This is a State Championship quality match-up that we're going to get a week early.

Nothing would really surprise me as far as the final outcome. It's a bit of an awkward game stylistically, so I see it being a game of runs-- how well each team can withstand the other's runs will be decisive.

Great Crossing can go stagnant on offense against the type of defensive game-planning and execution that Lexington Catholic will be able to throw at them. They'll need to take care of the ball (even if they aren't trying to attack their pressure and look to score) and make open shots against some different looks and wrinkles.

In the last meeting, I didn't think Great Crossing's length at the rim posed as many issues for some of Lexington Catholic's kids as I might have anticipated (which was quite a bit). Still, it's unwise to plan on going right at Moreno unless you are banking on getting him in foul trouble, so the Knights are going to need to play the three point lottery and/or hope that they can drag him out onto the floor to open things up in the half court, at least at some point.

I want to see how this one will be called and whether the refs let Catholic's kids lean on Moreno and keep a body on him so he's not free to roam and block shots. I'll also want to see how physical they let the game get and how much they let go with hands and hips.

The pressure of being the favorite will be on Great Crossing. At the same time, this should be an electric atmosphere at Dunbar and the smaller court with lots of fans closer to the floor probably works in Great Crossing's favor, especially with the potential for big dunks that let their kids feed off the crowd.
rolling with catholic
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Catholic up 6-3 three minutes in.

GC on a 7-0 run to lead 10-6 with 3 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

Tied at 13 end of the 1st quarter.

Lexington Catholic leads Great Crossing 33-28 at the half. Catholic lead by as many as 9 in the first half.
Great Crossing went away from what they needed to do on offense for awhile. Didn't get the exact number of the run, but the Knights hit a nice one from the 3:10 mark to 1:00 mark in Q2. Like these announcers, and he was correct in saying that Lex Cath was cutting them up on offense.

Burrell had a nice first half for Great Crossing. Will be interesting to see what kind of run Great Crossing can put together. More than one of the LFCPS-area schools seemed to fare a little better in against Catholic in the second half.

Godfrey switching on Doyle was the start of a run for the Warhawks.
end of the 3rd quarter
Lexington Catholic 43
Great Crossing 40
Interested in seeing what Lexington Catholic comes out with defensively after Salsman takes the timeout after the three.

What. A. Game.