Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Magoffin County 67 Martin County 57 (15th Region Championship)
Final from Appalachian Wireless Arena in Pikeville.

First trip to the Sweet 16 in school history for Magoffin County. Big lead at the half that Martin County was able to get within 6 with around 3 mintues remaining, but the Hornets were able to hang on.

Tough end to a nice career for the Martin County seniors.

A historic win that will be talked about for years to come in Salyersville.
What a freakin run by Magoffin County! Barnett willed his team to victory all tournament and the guys around him played their rolls to perfection! They were fun to watch
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I am an idiot and know nothing. Eating my crow. Great game by Magoffin and happy for that school and kids.
Magoffin and Perry will probably be the best first round game they’re is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Strikeout King's post:
  • Redneck
All of the boys stepped up big tonight. The unsung hero in this one, IMO, was Ethan Salyer. He pretty much shut Luke Hale down, which is no easy task. I believe Pikeville was the only other team that was able to do that this year in the All A. How do you game plan for Aden Barnett? He averaged 35 points a game against Martin County in the 3 games before this one, and he still got it done again on the biggest stage in the game that mattered the most.

Facebook is blowing up, Martin County fans claiming Barnett is a 20 year old blah blah blah. Someone on here from Martin County, please nip that foolishness in the bud lol.

Congrats Hornets. Can’t wait to be home from work so I can take my boys to watch these boys that they look up to.

Congrats to the Martin County Seniors on a stellar career. Y’all have nothing to hang your heads about. Y’all represented your school well.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 2 users Like Redneck's post:
  • jetpilot, Strikeout King
(03-11-2024, 10:48 PM)Redneck Wrote: All of the boys stepped up big tonight. The unsung hero in this one, IMO, was Ethan Salyer. He pretty much shut Luke Hale down, which is no easy task. I believe Pikeville was the only other team that was able to do that this year in the All A. How do you game plan for Aden Barnett? He averaged 35 points a game against Martin County in the 3 games before this one, and he still got it done again on the biggest stage in the game that mattered the most.

Facebook is blowing up, Martin County fans claiming Barnett is a 20 year old blah blah blah. Someone on here from Martin County, please nip that foolishness in the bud lol.

Congrats Hornets. Can’t wait to be home from work so I can take my boys to watch these boys that they look up to.

Congrats to the Martin County Seniors on a stellar career. Y’all have nothing to hang your heads about. Y’all represented your school well.
Congrats man, well done. You and your boys have a blast in Lexington.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack, Redneck
(03-11-2024, 10:48 PM)Redneck Wrote: All of the boys stepped up big tonight. The unsung hero in this one, IMO, was Ethan Salyer. He pretty much shut Luke Hale down, which is no easy task. I believe Pikeville was the only other team that was able to do that this year in the All A. How do you game plan for Aden Barnett? He averaged 35 points a game against Martin County in the 3 games before this one, and he still got it done again on the biggest stage in the game that mattered the most.

I’ve tried to, lol. I can’t stand people who whine after a loss.  We did ourselves no favors by missing layups. Magoffin wanted it and it showed.  Congrats to them…. Like I said the other day if we were gonna get eliminated at least it’s gonna be a team that will cherish in the moment.  Been a long time coming for magoffin!   Good luck at Rupp!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Card2000's post:
  • Redneck, Westside
This magoffin team with Barnett is like watching the 2016 LeBron led Cavs team for the nba title.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-11-2024, 11:19 PM)I Spud6 Wrote: This magoffin team with Barnett is like watching the 2016 LeBron lead Cavs team for the nba title.
Why’d ya have to ruin this moment for me. I can’t stand Lebron. Lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • Westside
(03-11-2024, 11:39 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 11:19 PM)I Spud6 Wrote: This magoffin team with Barnett is like watching the 2016 LeBron lead Cavs team for the nba title.
Why’d ya have to ruin this moment for me. I can’t stand Lebron. Lol

Haha! Sorry buddy

But that’s all I see out there. A once every decade player surrounded by guys around him that’s bought in and do their jobs to win. It’s fun to watch.
#BBFL
Congrats to Magoffin, Enjoy next week and soak it all in yall will have the time of your lives down there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cardinalfootballguy's post:
  • Cactus Jack, kai
Considering Martin county has 5 seniors who are 19 I dont think that has any merit. The rules are the rules and if you take advantage of them like everyone else then you have an advantage if not you are a step behind the best teams who all have 19 year olds playing. Missed layups and poor defense by us was the difference in the game. I don’t think our guys overlooked this team at all but magoffin wanted it just a little bit more than we did tonight and that was the difference. The game was played at Magoffins pace in the first half and that was all it took we dug to big of a hole to crawl out of. Hate it for these seniors tho they had an awesome career and will be missed they are all great kids.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IntheZone's post:
  • Redneck
I watched this game on WPRG. The Magoffin Co crowd was very loud tonight. Congrats to them.
(03-12-2024, 12:35 AM)IntheZone Wrote: Considering Martin county has 5 seniors who are 19 I dont think that has any merit. The rules are the rules and if you take advantage of them like everyone else then you have an advantage if not you are a step behind the best teams who all have 19 year olds playing. Missed layups and poor defense by us was the difference in the game. I don’t think our guys overlooked this team at all but magoffin wanted it just a little bit more than we did tonight and that was the difference. The game was played at Magoffins pace in the first half and that was all it took we dug to big of a hole to crawl out of. Hate it for these seniors tho they had an awesome career and will be missed they are all great kids.
These two teams played 4 damn good ballgames against each other this year.
Congrats to Magoffin! Barnett is fun to watch
Heck of a tournament and dare I say atmosphere in the Expo!!! Place was rocking last night!!!

I was wrong and Magoffin was better than I thought they could be. Congrats to those young men
The super regional worked out well for Magoffin County. At first I didn't know how well it would work, but they got it right in the end. Congrats Magoffin on your first trip to the big dance.
I don’t understand why Martin Co. had one of their big men (#20) running point and handling the ball so much. Seems to me like he should have been down low bangin, trying to dominate the game that way. Just didn’t make sense to me when it looked like they had plenty of other able ball handlers.
(03-12-2024, 12:35 AM)IntheZone Wrote: Considering Martin county has 5 seniors who are 19 I dont think that has any merit. The rules are the rules and if you take advantage of them like everyone else then you have an advantage if not you are a step behind the best teams who all have 19 year olds playing. Missed layups and poor defense by us was the difference in the game. I don’t think our guys overlooked this team at all but magoffin wanted it just a little bit more than we did tonight and that was the difference. The game was played at Magoffins pace in the first half and that was all it took we dug to big of a hole to crawl out of. Hate it for these seniors tho they had an awesome career and will be missed they are all great kids.
These two teams played 4 damn good ballgames against each other this year.
Aden Barnett is one of THE best athletes in Kentucky. Helluva football player, basketball player, and track athlete.

Kid should be known around the state. Hopefully he makes a name for himself at the Sweet 16.
(03-12-2024, 08:34 PM)HBlackcatAlum Wrote: Aden Barnett is one of THE best athletes in Kentucky. Helluva football player, basketball player, and track athlete.

Kid should be known around the state. Hopefully he makes a name for himself at the Sweet 16.
Don’t forget baseball. He’s not too shabby.
(03-12-2024, 11:39 AM)VoR_58 Wrote: I don’t understand why Martin Co. had one of their big men  (#20) running point and handling the ball so much.  Seems to me like he should have been down low bangin, trying to dominate the game that way.  Just didn’t make sense to me when it looked like they had plenty of other able ball handlers.
When the team lost their starting Point Guard. The team was struggling bad until Coach James put the ball in the big man’s #20 hands and when he started running the offense they started clicking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes devils88's post:
  • VoR_58
Hats off to Magoffin they got hot at the right time and played wonderfully. Martin county had a great season. I really wish some of their fans would shut up about how old kids are. EVERYONE is 19 anymore. If you aren't a hold back you are the anomaly.
(03-14-2024, 01:58 PM)SouthEast18 Wrote: Hats off to Magoffin they got hot at the right time and played wonderfully. Martin county had a great season. I really wish some of their fans would shut up about how old kids are. EVERYONE is 19 anymore. If you aren't a hold back you are the anomaly.
Yes. People thought because of the Covid year there were in some way an unfair advantage. However, you could not get a Covid year if you were over the age limit. Just like every other hold back. Might be able to get an extra year of high school under the senate bill. Khsaa can not grant an extra year. The kid is the same age as most the other seniors in the region. Anyone know if this is the last year of most of the Covid hold backs?
(03-15-2024, 12:56 PM)Upnorth Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 01:58 PM)SouthEast18 Wrote: Hats off to Magoffin they got hot at the right time and played wonderfully. Martin county had a great season. I really wish some of their fans would shut up about how old kids are. EVERYONE is 19 anymore. If you aren't a hold back you are the anomaly.
Yes. People thought because of the Covid year there were in some way an unfair advantage. However, you could not get a Covid year if you were over the age limit. Just like every other hold back. Might be able to get an extra year of high school under the senate bill. Khsaa can not grant an extra year. The kid is the same age as most the other seniors in the region. Anyone know if this is the last year of most of the Covid hold backs?

Unless I’m mistaken, next year will be the last year. But yes, this was the last year for a considerable amount of them.
(03-15-2024, 01:17 PM)BillSelf Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 12:56 PM)Upnorth Wrote:

Unless I’m mistaken, next year will be the last year. But yes, this was the last year for a considerable amount of them.

People totally forgetting the "covid year" was just an excuse to do in high school what so many had been doing in middle schools for years. Lol
I would not call it the last really because you have a ton of middle school 8th grade players who are old enough to be freshman and sophomores that played this year.. Some of the local sports announcers even started using the term "True 8th Grader" when talking about kids who didn't hold back or reclassify etc
(03-15-2024, 09:55 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: I would not call it the last really because you have a ton of middle school 8th grade players who are old enough to be freshman and sophomores that played this year.. Some of the local sports announcers even started using the term "True 8th Grader" when talking about kids who didn't hold back or reclassify etc
We have always had alot of middle schoolers hold back. Nothing new there. Covid didn’t really change that. The thing Covid did was grant a 5th year of high school eligibility (after being promoted to 9th) as long as they were within the age restriction.
I understand that, I was more referring to the age. As long as you have 15 year old 8th graders, and even older your going to have 19, almost 20 year old seniors..

but yea like you said we see that in middle school all the time

I think 15 is the oldest your supposed to be playing 8th grade ball. I my be wrong though
(03-16-2024, 11:11 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: I understand that, I was more referring to the age. As long as you have 15 year old 8th graders, and even older your going to have 19, almost 20 year old seniors..

but yea like you said we see that in middle school all the time

I think 15 is the oldest your supposed to be playing 8th grade ball. I my be wrong though
Yes you can’t turn 15 before august. High school you can not be 19 prior to August with or without a Covid year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Upnorth's post:
  • Blacksmith