Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Crossing 56 Lexington Catholic 53 (11th Region Championship)
Instant classic.
The best high school basketball game I’ve ever witnessed!
This was a dandy for sure! Hard to believe Great Crossing doesn't lose any of their core after this year. Lex Cath had a great group of seniors and you hate to see it end the way it did but man was that a game!
[-] The following 1 user Likes GotYouInMyScope's post:
  • Cactus Jack
And now Great Crossing has a pretty easy path to the Semifinals in my opinion.
This game was basically a coin flip from the last 30 seconds on-- replay the last sequence 10 times and they probably split. Lexington Catholic handles a trap and gets the ball to someone who shoots ~40% from three for a clean look, Great Crossing rebounds the miss and their seven footer dribbles up the floor and dishes it off for a half court heave.

Great Crossing needed everyone's contributions in this one. Burrell was hot early and might have been a little too confident in some of his shots late, but they don't win without him. Richardson hit some big shots when they'd reverse the ball out of the post that helped keep Catholic's D honest-- this was something that they really only went to late in their first meeting. Godfrey's defense when they'd switched him onto the perimeter in the third was a turning point, and he had some huge rebounds as well. Dawson had a slow first half but came on strong in the 2nd and had hit some huge shots after their offense had stagnated and they needed someone to make Catholic pay for doubling and even tripling Moreno so aggressively. Moreno was Moreno-- he is obviously their best player and everything that they do on both ends runs through him, but I think that this one was a total team effort on their part and a great example of complimentary basketball.

For the Knights, Doyle and Reinhart both had huge games and shot the ball well. Catholic had a handful of other kids who played their roles well, knew what was expected of them, and performed. When they were up late, I'm sure their bench wanted them to pull the ball out and wait to get fouled instead of trying to take a layup the Moreno was able to contest, but I also see that as a heat of the moment thing that's easy for us to see from the sideline but much tougher on the kid with the ball who might not have seen Moreno coming from behind/beside him until it was too late.

Hate to see either team lose, but someone has to.

Bottom line, this one had a heavyweight fight feel and lived up to the expectations. This is one of the best high school games that I had seen in years and is up there on my all-time list.
(03-13-2024, 09:33 AM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote: This was a dandy for sure! Hard to believe Great Crossing doesn't lose any of their core after this year. Lex Cath had a great group of seniors and you hate to see it end the way it did but man was that a game!
They are “covid” kids if I’m not mistaken. Should be 2024 graduate! Regardless they have everyone back.