Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Media Network Release: North Laurel New Football Coach
North Laurel High School is pleased to announce that Coach Steven Nelson will be returning to lead the North Laurel football program as the new Head Coach. With seven years of coaching experience under his belt, Steven comes back after a brief stint at Rockcastle County where he served as the Offensive Coordinator and assisted on both sides of the ball coaching multiple positions.
“We are excited to bring Steven back home to coach his Alma Mater as our new Head Coach. Steven’s knowledge and passion for the game, coupled with his understanding of the North Laurel community and the mission of our school, makes him the perfect candidate for this role. His pride and determination to see North Laurel succeed is unmatched, and we believe that with Coach Nelson at our helm, we can build off of our successes and create a brighter future for the program.”
Steven is a 2016 graduate of North Laurel High School and a 2021 graduate of the University of the Cumberlands. He was a standout football player at North Laurel where he was 1st Team All-State and holds numerous school records for rushing yards, touchdowns, and career interceptions.
“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to return home to North Laurel,” said Coach Steven Nelson. “I plan on dedicating countless hours to get North Laurel Football to where I want it to be, and I want to thank the North Laurel administration for this opportunity. My family is beyond excited to get things started, and the entire coaching staff will put in the necessary work to take North Laurel to a bright future!”
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hi Risk Warrior's post:
  • Bull got out!
Congratulations!!!
Wth seriously???? Out of all the applicants this is the best they could come up with?
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Cowboy42
(03-15-2024, 07:42 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: Wth seriously???? Out of all the applicants this is the best they could come up with?
Culture is everything, you should know that as a “Corbin Fan”. Nelson was a stud at North Laurel and will rid the toxic culture brought and left behind by Chappell and company. NL fans are ecstatic over this hire, as they should be. Big things to come from this young man and North Laurel. Go Jags!
(03-15-2024, 08:21 PM)RingRingGoCats Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 07:42 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: Wth seriously???? Out of all the applicants this is the best they could come up with?
Culture is everything, you should know that as a “Corbin Fan”. Nelson was a stud at North Laurel and will rid the toxic culture brought and left behind by Chappell and company. NL fans are ecstatic over this hire, as they should be. Big things to come from this young man and North Laurel. Go Jags!
Culture is everything, if your trying to compare NL to Corbin then you need to see some professional help…I don’t know the kid but that’s the key word, he’s a kid…
(03-15-2024, 10:38 PM)TD Hounds Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 08:21 PM)RingRingGoCats Wrote:
Culture is everything, if your trying to compare NL to Corbin then you need to see some professional help…I don’t know the kid but that’s the key word, he’s a kid…
Everyone gets their opportunity at some point, his happens to be earlier than most. NL tried the middle aged coach with a nice resume and it didn’t work out. I think the KID will surprise a lot of people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RingRingGoCats's post:
  • Hi Risk Warrior
Good luck
Bullitt East HC was 27 when he got the job. The right guy is the right guy. If he has good assistants and admin will support it's a gamble but who knows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • Bull got out!
I heard our very own Jody Mauser applied for the job at North Laurel. Jody was definitely the best qualified for the job and had North selected him they would have several of Corbins top coaches following him to North Laurel. I don’t know the young coach North hired but North sure missed on a good hire to bring some Corbin culture and a winning tradition to Laurel County Football. Coach Chappell did a fantastic job getting the Jaguars to the Region Championship game in just two seasons at North Laurel but had North Laurel hired Jody Mauser then North Laurel would be playing for the Region Championship every year as the new normal.
Ecstatic: Over hiring a first time head coach for a job of this magnitude who is a homer? Absolute joke hire.   Classic small town move and will be doing this again in 2 or 3 yrs.  Good luck, you will need it.
(03-16-2024, 08:58 PM)Trenches07 Wrote: Ecstatic: Over hiring a first time head coach for a job of this magnitude who is a homer? Absolute joke hire.   Classic small town move and will be doing this again in 2 or 3 yrs.  Good luck, you will need it.
Or.. give the guy a chance. Not many people were beating down the door for the job it appears
As to hiring a kid, I voiced that concern myself and a buddy of mine who has been around
North Laurel sports a lot longer than I have said, they are notorious for hiring young guys
for coaching positions out there and it has worked out quite well for them over the years.
He said one they hired just went into the Kentucky Baseball Hall of Fame a month ago.
So sometimes those young guys with fire in their belly, get the job done and make good
coaches. It just came to me too, everyone starts somewhere. It remains to be seen what
the future holds but it's that way with every hire any school makes regardless of age.