Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Shelby Valley Boy’s Open
Have been told by multiple sources, McCoy has been fired at Shelby Valley after 1 season.
Now the question becomes does Pike Central and Phelps open up, new superintendent cleaning house?
Knowing of a little bit at Belfry, East Ridge and Shelby Valley, I really don't think Mr. Bowling (who hasn't even taken over yet) has absolutely anything to do with any of this lol
Fired for what? I know they struggled but weren’t they very young and the Osborne kid didn’t play either. Was this more than on the court performance
(03-19-2024, 04:27 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Fired for what? I know they struggled but weren’t they very young and the Osborne kid didn’t play either. Was this more than on the court performance

*resigned(forced out)
(03-19-2024, 04:44 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 04:27 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Fired for what? I know they struggled but weren’t they very young and the Osborne kid didn’t play either. Was this more than on the court performance

*resigned(forced out)
I didn’t know the former coach but had to be a reason Rowe stepped down. He knew they’d struggle. Is the former coach a Shelby Valley lifer? Unless they have a big time coach ready to accept then not sure why he was let go.
I know this isn’t the Shelby Valley of past but to see kids leaving the program or choosing not to play is concerning. Posting probably the worst record in SV history didn’t help matters any.
The rumor is Al Holland is coming to the 15th region
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999
John Meade should be the coach, plain and simple. Currently has the middle school program and did very well with them and has the backing of the parents there. He’s been around the block for many years in both boys and girls high school basketball. Played for Henry Webb at South Floyd so learned from a great mind. Dude needs to be given a chance.
Probably no chance but why would they not reach out to Elisha Justice to come home? He’s the best player there in school history and a great coach
[-] The following 2 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • Grinch1, Ice61706
(03-19-2024, 05:46 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Probably no chance but why would they not reach out to Elisha Justice to come home? He’s the best player there in school history and a great coach

I’d go out on a limb and say that bridge got burned awhile ago.
(03-19-2024, 05:22 PM)BCF4L Wrote: John Meade should be the coach, plain and simple. Currently has the middle school program and did very well with them and has the backing of the parents there. He’s been around the block for many years in both boys and girls high school basketball. Played for Henry Webb at South Floyd so learned from a great mind. Dude needs to be given a chance.

Don’t piss on me and tell me it’s raining! I understand you know him well. But, in being from SV I know that the 8th grade class had already won back to back county championships. Dude has no coaching resume, head coach of middle school 1 year for a team that was already b2b county champions. Other than that, he was a pretty decent player in HS and he’s a good dude just don’t justify it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BillSelf's post:
  • Ice61706
(03-19-2024, 05:48 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 05:46 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Probably no chance but why would they not reach out to Elisha Justice to come home? He’s the best player there in school history and a great coach

I’d go out on a limb and say that bridge got burned awhile ago.

Didn’t they remove everything related to him as an individual in the trophy cases?

(03-19-2024, 05:19 PM)Spud6 Wrote: The rumor is Al Holland is coming to the 15th region

What a splash this would be!!!
Besides McCoy they have always had big name, proven coaches there. Expect them to make a statement hire.
(03-19-2024, 05:59 PM)BillSelf Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 05:22 PM)BCF4L Wrote: John Meade should be the coach, plain and simple. Currently has the middle school program and did very well with them and has the backing of the parents there. He’s been around the block for many years in both boys and girls high school basketball. Played for Henry Webb at South Floyd so learned from a great mind. Dude needs to be given a chance.

Don’t piss on me and tell me it’s raining! I understand you know him well. But, in being from SV I know that the 8th grade class had already won back to back county championships. Dude has no coaching resume, head coach of middle school 1 year for a team that was already b2b county champions. Other than that, he was a pretty decent player in HS and he’s a good dude just don’t justify it.
No coaching resume? He’s been on multiple staffs across the region at all levels. He probably has more overall coaching experience than most current coaches in the area.
(03-19-2024, 06:34 PM)BCF4L Wrote:

No coaching resume? He’s been on multiple staffs across the region at all levels. He probably has more overall coaching experience than most current coaches in the area.

Being on the staff and calling the shots is 2 totally different things. Kenny Payne also had the resume. I don’t know the Meade guy, but I think Valley already knows who the next coach is.
(03-19-2024, 06:49 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote:

Being on the staff and calling the shots is 2 totally different things. Kenny Payne also had the resume. I don’t know the Meade guy, but I think Valley already knows who the next coach is.
Elisha never coached before. Landon Slone never coached before. Chase Parsley never coached before. I think the idea of hiring based on experience is a tad overrated. Valley, from a HS standpoint, doesn’t have a great deal of talent outside of the Sykes kid. I think it’s the perfect time to roll the dice when there’s not a lot of expectations. Heck, people get on here and support me to coach and I’ve never been a head coach at the high school level. Do I think I could do it? Absolutely. Just takes one chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BCF4L's post:
  • P. Fanning

Why has Meade not gotten a head coaching chance in Floyd County?  Why would his first shot be a program that has had a lot more recent success than the Floyd County schools? Sounds like his chance should’ve  came from there if he is so qualified.
(03-19-2024, 09:40 PM)BCF4L Wrote:

Elisha never coached before. Landon Slone never coached before. Chase Parsley never coached before. I think the idea of hiring based on experience is a tad overrated. Valley, from a HS standpoint, doesn’t have a great deal of talent outside of the Sykes kid. I think it’s the perfect time to roll the dice when there’s not a lot of expectations. Heck, people get on here and support me to coach and I’ve never been a head coach at the high school level. Do I think I could do it? Absolutely. Just takes one chance.

They didn’t have huge expectations this year? But yet here we are. Elisha coached at JBS prior to Pikeville. They rolled the dice last year and gave it to a first time head coach. People may support you for the same reason you’re supporting him, they know of and like you. Not saying you nor him wouldn’t do a great job. I just don’t think they’re gonna hire another 1 year or zero year HC experience of sort, kinda guy.
Tyler has a great basketball mind and is a really good coach, I just don’t think he fit in with the Valley people. And I know he didn’t cater to any of them. (Parents)
(03-19-2024, 05:19 PM)Spud6 Wrote: The rumor is Al Holland is coming to the 15th region

Doesn’t his kids live in the Valley community? Would make sense if that’s true. Just don’t see Valley letting a coach go after 1 year unless there is a bigger picture.
Was this coach a Shelby Valley guy? Did he go to school or play there or was he an outsider? Thought he was an assistant under Rowe and everyone wanted him when Rowe left
(03-19-2024, 11:55 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Was this coach a Shelby Valley guy? Did he go to school or play there or was he an outsider? Thought he was an assistant under Rowe and everyone wanted him when Rowe left

He played at East Ridge and was on their coaching staff for 2-3 years. Helped Rowe during his last year I believe.
(03-19-2024, 11:02 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote:

Doesn’t his kids live in the Valley community? Would make sense if that’s true. Just don’t see Valley letting a coach go after 1 year unless there is a bigger picture.

His grandkids do. Al Holland Sr. is who I’m talking about. Al Holland Jr. is the BSN representative for all of Pike County.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL

Agreed! Everyone has to start somewhere. Having said that, I think you have forgotten more about basketball than John Meade will ever know. He's a good guy and he does know the game, no disrespect meant towards him.  I understand why you'd rather not coach at a rival school due to your son, but after he graduates, I hope you will consider it if a school is smart enough to offer you that opportunity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes P. Fanning's post:
  • BCF4L
(03-20-2024, 02:03 AM)P. Fanning Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 05:59 PM)BillSelf Wrote: Don’t piss on me and tell me it’s raining! I understand you know him well. But, in being from SV I know that the 8th grade class had already won back to back county championships. Dude has no coaching resume, head coach of middle school 1 year for a team that was already b2b county champions. Other than that, he was a pretty decent player in HS and he’s a good dude just don’t justify it.

Agreed! Everyone has to start somewhere. Having said that, I think you have forgotten more about basketball than John Meade will ever know. He's a good guy and he does know the game, no disrespect meant towards him.  I understand why you'd rather not coach at a rival school due to your son, but after he graduates, I hope you will consider it if a school is smart enough to offer you that opportunity.
I’m definitely not ruling it out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BCF4L's post:
  • P. Fanning
Been told there is mutual interest from Valley and Al Holland. Just a matter of the $$$$$ adding up.
Pikeville reloading, he wont leave them!

(03-19-2024, 11:55 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Was this coach a Shelby Valley guy? Did he go to school or play there or was he an outsider? Thought he was an assistant under Rowe and everyone wanted him when Rowe left

they all wanted him until they didnt play their kids!

(03-21-2024, 02:13 PM)Roncris8 Wrote:

HE*

HE*

Outside looking in, he played some kids that wouldn’t have played for anyone else.
I think in order to keep what kids are left; you have to rely on Meade. You have 2 incoming players who are gone and one returning starter.
(03-22-2024, 01:18 PM)WarHawk12 Wrote: I think in order to keep what kids are left; you have to rely on Meade. You have 2 incoming players who are gone and one returning starter.
Not sure but I hear the reason the 8th graders were leaving in the first place was because Meade had a spot on the high school bench too. The ones going to Pikeville started their exit in November. They used Coach McCoy to steal JV time from kids that are staying.   With a new coach and the ability to play minutes at SV out of the gate may be enough to keep them. It would be a shame to see them sit for two years at Pikeville to chase a regional championship.  

Maybe someone can confirm or deny that rumor?