Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lyon County 45 Ashland 43 (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)
Final. A tough loss for the Tomcats in the first round of the tournament. Lyon Co. was led by Brad Shoulders with 3 FT's with just over :3 seconds for the win. He led Lyon with 17 points and Travis Perry had 16. Lyon will move on to play the winner of Adair Co./Marshall Co. winner. Tough loss for the Tomcats blowing a 7 point lead 4 minutes to play.

Brady Shoulders led all scorers with 17 points.  Travis Perry scored 16. Braxton Jennings led Ashland with 12 & Asher Adkins chipped in with 11.

Ashland led 41-34 with 5:54 to play and were outscored 11-2 from then on Ashland had 4 turnovers and were 1-5 from the floor the rest of the way. Also Carter came into the game averaging just under 23 points a game and only had 9 today. Perry for Lyon Co. came in averaging just under 30 points a game was held to just 16 points. The Lyons survived and advanced
This looked much more like the Lyon County team that I said I could see failing to three-peat prior to last year's regional tournament and the one I saw struggle against Hopkinsville in last year's regional final than the well-oiled machine that I saw burying teams with quick 12-0 runs in under a minute and a half in this year's regional tournament.

All that matters now is the fact that they've survived. The fact that they were able to win despite not being at the top of their game might not be the worst thing for them going into the next round and getting an opponent that they'll again be favored against.
I also could not understand letting Lyon hold the ball the last minute they had only 1 team foul at the time so they could have got aggressive and fouled 3 times before they would have had been in the penalty. It looked like the last 5 minutes of the game Ashland was playing not to lose instead of to win. It is sad for the 16th region as I think their next game would have been very winnable and it is not often that both the 15th and 16th region wins games in the Sweet 16.
Terrible foul call at the end of the game.
(03-20-2024, 06:53 PM)Fanman Wrote: Terrible foul call at the end of the game.

I thought he got hammed. Coach Bonner in post game said he had no problem with the foul that the kid stepped up and made the shots.
(03-20-2024, 06:53 PM)Fanman Wrote: Terrible foul call at the end of the game.
Yes.  I saw the replay video.  Horrible call.  Refs should never dictate the outcome of the game like that.  Shame.
I thought it was a bad call also. However, officials dictate the outcome of games just as much by not calling anything.
(03-22-2024, 10:27 AM)Bandit29 Wrote: I thought it was a bad call also.  However, officials dictate the outcome of games just as much by not calling anything.
Inconsistency in the ref’s calls is what dictated the game.  They let them play physical the entire game and then make that call at the end was very questionable.
(03-23-2024, 10:48 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 10:27 AM)Bandit29 Wrote: I thought it was a bad call also.  However, officials dictate the outcome of games just as much by not calling anything.
Inconsistency in the ref’s calls is what dictated the game.  They let them play physical the entire game and then make that call at the end was very questionable.
Ashland had enough turnovers that they can blame for the loss- not just one call.