Poll: Should Calipari be fired tonight?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
75.00%
No
25.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let’s revisit from 6 years ago. Should Calipari be fired tonight?
Let’s hear it. 
I said it 6 years ago. 
Only titles matter here and that garbage coach won’t sniff another one. 
Let’s a D2 transfer put up 30.

So now we’ve wasted another 6 years and another 100 million since his last title and this is the result you get. A bunch of charmin soft freshmen and a coach that could care less.
I have said many times before, I never wanted Cal in Lexington. Hope he leaves soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 2 users Like Jarons's post:
  • jetpilot, RunItUpTheGut
(03-21-2024, 10:45 PM)Jarons Wrote: I have said many times before,  I never wanted Cal in Lexington. Hope he leaves soon.

I didn't either. Con man extraordinaire.
He’s been nothing but a plague on this entire state with his arrogance for the past 12 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RunItUpTheGut's post:
  • jetpilot
I don't think it was the right move six years ago, but I think parting ways is the right move now. I don't know how the numbers need to work or how we'll be able to afford to get out of it, but I see this one as the exact moment in time when Cal's tenure crossed the point of no return.
(03-21-2024, 10:48 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I don't think it was the right move six years ago, but I think parting ways is the right move now. I don't know how the numbers need to work or how we'll be able to afford to get out of it, but I see this one as the exact moment in time when Cal's tenure crossed the point of no return.

I love you CJ but you are admitting you were wrong 6 years ago. I'm getting older and that's 6 years of my basketball life stolen from me.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack, RunItUpTheGut
How could it have been the wrong move six years ago?
He was done at that point. Unless you’re okay with too 5 SEC finishes then it wasn’t ever getting better.

The only thing that matters here are titles. That is it. Dead stop. If you can’t provide one at least every 8-10 years you need to GTFO
  • pjdoug
(03-21-2024, 11:02 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: How could it have been the wrong move six years ago?
He was done at that point. Unless you’re okay with too 5 SEC finishes then it wasn’t ever getting better.

The only thing that matters here are titles. That is it. Dead stop. If you can’t provide one at least every 8-10 years you need to GTFO

Plus you can get bonus points for SEC regular season champs or SEC tournament champs or Final Fours etc...but total epic all systems fail...
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • pjdoug, RunItUpTheGut
Who do you think the next coach should be?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(03-21-2024, 11:02 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: How could it have been the wrong move six years ago?

Hindsight is 20/20.

Better question for everyone saying to ax him in 2018 and what everyone needs to think about before we start naming who we'd like to replace him: how are (or were) you going to handle the finances of the firing/buyout and who are (or were) you realistically going to be able to hire with what you have remaining?

I was one of the people saying Chris Beard years ago... I think we can all see how that might have been a train-wreck given how he fared in Austin and what the pressure cooker that is the UK job did the last time we hired a coach away from a mid-tier basketball school in Texas.
^^^I get all that but couldn't have been worse than what we got...not to mention saving $$MILLONS.
It’s time for all the rose colored glasses fans to give up, if this was buisness, FAILING 5 straight years, the CEO WOULD BE FIRED. Pay the POS 30 million or whatever, and let the equipment manager coach! Sheeez, I’m so sick of this shit
[-] The following 1 user Likes rookie57's post:
  • pjdoug
(03-21-2024, 11:47 PM)Jarons Wrote: Who do you think the next coach should be?

I don't think that this is the best choice by any means, but I think Scott Drew at Baylor would be a good stop-gap if we struck out on other names, which very well could happen. Not so old that he's a dinosaur who doesn't have a few good years left in him, but also successful and seasoned enough to realize he's probably hit his ceiling at Baylor.

Kentucky probably still has enough to afford to pay him much better than (a private) Baylor, and he's going to be more endearing to Bible Belt fans than Cal was ever going to be perceived. I don't think he's the ideal candidate and there will definitely be more flashy names, but I thought Louisville was smart to gauge his interest.

I think fans will be leary of the next coach-- they won't remember the early parts of Cal's time when we were all ecstatic and will not want someone who seems a little too slick is all slippery in the way Cal can be.

His name will come up and I can see why, but I don't think Mark Pope is the answer. He's not a terrible coach, but there's a lot of risk that he winds up being a Pelphrey. By the way, does anyone remember when he was mentioned as one of the hot names in coaching? I seem to remember that, but no one mentions all the candidates they've previously loved that have crashed and burned elsewhere.

The best hire-- the person just checks every box and absolutely knocks it out of the park is someone that is young, hungry, and is, at best, coaching a mid-major right now. I doubt many people were all about Brad Stevens a few weeks before he was hired at Butler, but he seemed to do pretty well. At least someone like that is going to jump into a school-friendly contract and will be locked in for awhile. There's obviously much more risk in trying to find that candidate too tough.
I’d be okay with hiring anyone, hell, tom crean if it meant getting cal out of Lexington so we can recover.

We’d already be back in the thick of things if we’d done that 6 years ago.

I think the next hire needs to be one of two things.

A home run.

Or

A placemat to build back up the coffers.

Either way he needs to be fired on the tarmac tonight. Let him go recruit his g league rejects somewhere else or save face and step into his retirement role. I don’t care either way as long as he’s off the sideline.

The dream hire is Brad Stevens. Always has been. He turned down Indiana for 10 mil a year to stay in the front office with the Celtics. You’d have to give him a contract of 12 mil a year for 10 years guaranteed or something in that neighborhood.

I’m not impressed with any other coach we could get in the college game at this time. You don’t bring in Hurley. We don’t need a duke guy. Drew, Oats, Pearl, Bears, etc are all the same guys. Not good enough for here. So you go cheap and recover. Take a chance on someone young that won’t cost much and if it works out great and if it don’t fire him once the moneys there to get whatever you want.

Also take some of stoops money if you have too. Ain’t like that program is winning more than 7 games anytime in the next 30 years with the new alignment.

In summary, figure out the cal situation tonight. If your Capulto grow some nuts and fire Barnhart with him.
  • Cactus Jack
(03-21-2024, 10:54 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I love you CJ but you are admitting you were wrong 6 years ago. I'm getting older and that's 6 years of my basketball life stolen from me.

Nothing but love here too, but here's a list of the college coaching changes as of Summer 2018:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...r-2018-19/

Before anyone says it, stop... is Dan Hurley, a northeast guy, going to come to Kentucky instead of UConn? Even if he does, is he staying? Chris Mack and Penny Hardaway didn't exactly set the world on fire. Otherwise, was anyone clamoring for Dusty May or Shaheen Holloway? They've been deeper in the tournament.

Some of the other names on that list may literally end up being players with ties to Kentucky (Richie Riley & AW Hamilton) and maybe they're at a big school one day, but even now, there's a huge difference in EKU or South Alabama and UK. Walter McCarty had a great record at Evansville and looked like he was well on his way to a big-time coaching gig until some off-court happenings derailed it all.

Yes, Kentucky has the type of tradition and resources that would attract names that weren't on that list, but that was the college coaching carousel in 2018 and UConn, Louisville, Xavier, Pitt, and Memphis are all pretty respectable jobs that needed filled. It might seem weak, but it also isn't as if a Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas comes open very often.

It is asinine to think that Kentucky wouldn't have been raked over the coals in the national media if they'd hired a Chris Beard and that type of scandal broke, or if they'd fired Calipari but ended up with someone who got basically the same result that he's just given us since 2018 with the ONLY possible exception being if Calipari had also went to another high profile program and performed terribly.

I know everyone wants to fire Cal and I agree that it's time to go, but I don't see any explanation of how the buyout is going to work and who the Athletic Department has enough money to pay once it's all said and done. If anyone says a name like Billy Donovan (as unrealistic as that may be), are you also cool with losing Stoops and not having enough capital to pay someone on his level again for at least three to five years?
(03-21-2024, 10:43 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Let’s hear it. 
I said it 6 years ago. 

So now we’ve wasted another 6 years and another 100 million since his last title and this is the result you get. A bunch of charmin soft freshmen and a coach that could care less.

Nothing makes you happier than a night like tonight. Enjoy it , because we have some very talented kids coming in to replace those who couldn't get it done. The Legend simply reloads!!!
(03-22-2024, 12:56 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
I said it 6 years ago. 

Nothing makes you happier than a night like tonight. Enjoy it , because we have some very talented kids coming in to replace those who couldn't get it done. The Legend simply reloads!!!

hopefully they all follow cal to his next coaching gig. 
the last five classes were all “stars”
if that’s the case, I’m sick of stars. Give me some dogs.
  • TheStickyBandit
(03-21-2024, 10:54 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 10:48 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I don't think it was the right move six years ago, but I think parting ways is the right move now. I don't know how the numbers need to work or how we'll be able to afford to get out of it, but I see this one as the exact moment in time when Cal's tenure crossed the point of no return.

I love you CJ but you are admitting you were wrong 6 years ago. I'm getting older and that's 6 years of my basketball life stolen from me.

Oh for the love of Gradey Dick! The meltdown is in full force.
I said it 6 years ago. 

Legends have more than 1 national championship and no vacated final 4s.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • RunItUpTheGut
(03-21-2024, 11:47 PM)Jarons Wrote: Who do you think the next coach should be?

[Image: https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-0...1774611fdd]
Kentucky head coaches' records in their last 126 games at the school:

- Rick Pitino: 110-16 (.873)

- Adolph Rupp: 104-22 (.825)

- Joe B. Hall: 92-34 (.730)

- Tubby Smith: 91-35 (.722)

- Eddie Sutton: 87-39 (.690)

- John Calipari: 80-46 (.635)
(03-21-2024, 10:48 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: He’s been nothing but a plague on this entire state with his arrogance for the past 12 years.

Good gracious Almighty!!!  How do you plague a bunch of hillbillies?  Meltdown continues...

Lot of wives and girfriends gonna take it on the chin tonight, it seems.
(03-22-2024, 01:14 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 10:48 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: He’s been nothing but a plague on this entire state with his arrogance for the past 12 years.

Good gracious Almighty!!!  How do you plague a bunch of hillbillies?  Meltdown continues...

Lot of wives and girfriends gonna take it on the chin tonight, it seems.

By making their storied basketball program a laughingstock
(03-22-2024, 12:50 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: I’d be okay with hiring anyone, hell, tom crean if it meant getting cal out of Lexington so we can recover.

We’d already be back in the thick of things if we’d done that 6 years ago.

I think the next hire needs to be one of two things.

A home run.

Or

A placemat to build back up the coffers.

Either way he needs to be fired on the tarmac tonight. Let him go recruit his g league rejects somewhere else or save face and step into his retirement role. I don’t care either way as long as he’s off the sideline.

The dream hire is Brad Stevens. Always has been. He turned down Indiana for 10 mil a year to stay in the front office with the Celtics. You’d have to give him a contract of 12 mil a year for 10 years guaranteed or something in that neighborhood.

I’m not impressed with any other coach we could get in the college game at this time. You don’t bring in Hurley. We don’t need a duke guy. Drew, Oats, Pearl, Bears, etc are all the same guys. Not good enough for here. So you go cheap and recover. Take a chance on someone young that won’t cost much and if it works out great and if it don’t fire him once the moneys there to get whatever you want.

Also take some of stoops money if you have too. Ain’t like that program is winning more than 7 games anytime in the next 30 years with the new alignment.

In summary, figure out the cal situation tonight. If your Capulto grow some nuts and fire Barnhart with him.

Keep dreaming, big boy. Cal's salary goes up to around 9 million next  year. Capilouto loves Cal. The HOF'er is going nowhere. And when he does retire, there is a clause in his contract in which he agreed to "promise" to stay on as an ambassador for the university. That's a fact. UK wanted Cal to end his coaching here so bad that they made him promise to be an ambassador whenever he did decide to retire. So , Cal's going nowhere. Capilouto and any sane person knows it wasn't Cal's fault that Reed and  Wagner couldn't stick their fingers in their asses.

(03-22-2024, 12:01 AM)rookie57 Wrote: It’s time for all the rose colored glasses fans to give up, if this was buisness, FAILING 5 straight years, the CEO WOULD BE FIRED. Pay the POS 30 million or whatever, and let the equipment manager coach! Sheeez, I’m so sick of this shit

I love you, rook, but just how did Cal lose this game?  No one has attempted to answer that question(because they can't!).

(03-21-2024, 11:51 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I get all that but couldn't have been worse than what we got...not to mention saving $$MILLONS.

Why save when you can spend? As a progressive , I love spending your money.

(03-22-2024, 01:07 AM)Jarons Wrote:
I said it 6 years ago. 

Legends have more than 1 national championship and no vacated final 4s.

You mean, like Baron Von Blackisbahd?
I said it 6 years ago. 

I owe you an apology. I used to think you were the dumbest person on here for your idiot Call sh!t year after year. But I was way off base and I'm very sorry. I'm the biggest idiot on here for responding to you. You're not dumb, you're just brainwashed beyond hope and will believe anything your (liberal) "leaders" tell you, not able to think for yourself or believe your own eyes and ears. Again, I'm truly sorry. I'm the dumb one, I won't waste any more of my time or yours.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • RunItUpTheGut
(03-22-2024, 01:34 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
I said it 6 years ago. 

I owe you an apology. I used to think you were the dumbest person on here for your idiot Call sh!t year after year. But I was way off base and I'm very sorry. I'm the biggest idiot on here for responding to you. You're not dumb, you're just brainwashed beyond hope and will believe anything your (liberal) "leaders" tell you, not able to think for yourself or believe your own eyes and ears. Again, I'm truly sorry. I'm the dumb one, I won't waste any more of my time or yours.
(03-22-2024, 01:03 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:
I said it 6 years ago. 

RIUTG, I do agree with you about one thing, this group was INCREDIBLY soft!  Charmin had nothing on these guys.

(03-22-2024, 01:13 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Kentucky head coaches' records in their last 126 games at the school:

Why are we neglecting the first 400 games? Maybe because that defeats the point you are so badly trying to make? Do your last five years of  mediocrity negate all the accomplishments in your first 40 years?

I said it 6 years ago. 

You don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't share your world view. Truth Social, Telegraph, etc... That's the difference between you and I. I like to hear EVERYONE'S viewpoint.

I said it 6 years ago. 

Bob Hope was likely your kind of guy.  Read up on just what a gem he was in real life. Bob's poor, poor wife. Give me a fine family man like Mr . Calipari anyday of the serial cheater, Hope.
It’s the last 6 years before they were fired. And it’s been 6 years since I called for his head. The whole point of this thread.

Try to keep up. Comprehension is key here.

Think about that for a second.
Six years ago I said fire him, he was done….and then I posted the final six years of each coach.

Make sense now?
(03-22-2024, 01:35 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 01:03 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:
I said it 6 years ago. 

RIUTG, I do agree with you about one thing, this group was INCREDIBLY soft!  Charmin had nothing on these guys.

(03-22-2024, 01:13 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: Kentucky head coaches' records in their last 126 games at the school:

Why are we neglecting the first 400 games? Maybe because that defeats the point you are so badly trying to make? Do your last five years of  mediocrity negate all the accomplishments in your first 40 years?

I said it 6 years ago. 

You don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't share your world view. Truth Social, Telegraph, etc... That's the difference between you and I. I like to hear EVERYONE'S viewpoint.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Never spent a minute on Truth Social and don't even know what Telegraph is. Dumb, crazy and lying to boot is a mix I cross the street and look down to get away from and not even have to wave to. Last response to you on this forum I promise.
Got a great class coming in next year!!! BAHAHAHAHA!!!!